PIN2DMD EVO HD - upgrade to 256x64 resolution

• Content Provider

Did you try to disconnect power and then power the device with DFU mode pressed ?

I found another card which did not work. Seems we are not at the end of the research with different SD cards 😒

• Content Provider
4 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Did you try to disconnect power and then power the device with DFU mode pressed ?

I found another card which did not work. Seems we are not at the end of the research with different SD cards 😒

Powering on with DFU mode pressed worked, thank you. 

My other SD cards are still not recognised on 4.21 and I still can't update via SD card.

• Content Provider

2 hours ago, Terranigma said:

My other SD cards are still not recognised on 4.21 and I still can't update via SD card.

Update is working if a working SD card is used.  Until I found a way to make the other cards work you are limited to those that currently work.

• Content Provider
18 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

Update is working if a working SD card is used.  Until I found a way to make the other cards work you are limited to those that currently work.

Using a specific working SD card for colour files is no problem, I will just use that brand for these. Using the same SD card won't let me update though. It flashes the red light constantly and nothing happens (it stays black).

When I check the SD card on PC, it has changed the name of the update from PIN2DMD_HD.upd to update.bin. Usually when an update fails it says update.nok

So the same SD card that works for loading colour files will not work for updating (for me). Other SD cards won't work at all in loading a colour file or reading the update.

• Content Provider
9 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

Maybe @stumblorcan help you find a working card.

Ok, so even though the card works for loading colour files and activation/settings, it may still have issues with loading an update. If that's the case, I am happy to wait for you to implement more SD card support in the future. I can update with DFU mode for now and that is enough to get me through. Thanks.

@stumblor Maybe we can list what cards work so people can know what is compatible for now. For me I have tried a Toshiba HC 4 8GB card and a no name 4GB card and those both work for loading colour files and activation/settings but not for updates. What doesn't get recognised at all are SanDisk Ultra 16GB HCI A1, Kingston 16Gb V10 A1.

It seems the older cards are more compatible.

• Content Provider
10 hours ago, Terranigma said:

Ok, so even though the card works for loading colour files and activation/settings, it may still have issues with loading an update.

I have never experienced that problem. I guess the problem there is not the SD card as both the bootloader and the firmware use the same SD card library. There is something else with your board or CPU. Red LED flashing means no bootable firmware found in the flash of the CPU. Maybe you can make a dump of the flash after a failed update to see what is missing. Maybe some flash lockbits are set.

• Content Provider
14 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

Just uploaded a v4.22 which fixes some more issues on EVO HD.

Took me another 5 hours of my life.

Please use the .bin or .dfu to also upgrade the bootloader.

I switched computers, uninstalled DFUSE and re installed with the latest version. I can now update via SD card. That must have been my PC or my older program that was causing the update via SD card to fail.

I have just tested the new Firmware 4.22 on the HD EVO with my SanDisk and now it stops the whole Pin2dmd from booting when it is inserted. Before it just wouldn't get recognised and wouldn't read or write to it. I believe this is what was happening to Stumblor initially. 

I will just stick to working cards as everything else is ok. Thanks

Awesome, thanks Joerg and appreciate the effort.

I'm away this weekend but will do that on Monday. I have around 15 different cards (brands and size) to test with. 

Just to confirm, what's the easiest way to identify a card problem? My unit was failing to boot with a bad card but it sounds as though others experienced a different symptom?

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, lucky1 said:

@Terranigma  @stumblor

I was able to fix another card I found which did not work with 4.22 and just uploaded a new version v4.23.
Hopefully this is the last fix for SD card on H7 .

Please make a full update with .bin or.dfu and test with all card types you have.

Sandisk SD Cards now work and all my SD cards work with this update. I will buy some more brands over the weekend to test, thanks.

1 hour ago, stumblor said:

Just to confirm, what's the easiest way to identify a card problem? My unit was failing to boot with a bad card but it sounds as though others experienced a different symptom?

There are 2 problems that can occur, the unit will fail to boot or the unit will fail to load the colour file or write back to the card. The best way to test is to make sure your unit is activated, copy a colour file to your SD card and then test it. If it loads the colour file you have a working SD card. If it fails to boot or the colour file doesn't load, then you have an unsupported SD card.

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, stumblor said:

Best way to test wether a card is fully working is initiating an update. That way both the firmware and the bootloader get checked.

• Content Provider

Have gone through my cards with the update method as described above.

Kingston, Toshiba and generic branded cards all work great, they also update the firmware no problem. My Sandisk no longer stops the device from booting and it also can load colour files, however, the Sandisk will not update the device.

I bought a new card to test as well which was a Samsung Evo and that doesn’t get recognised at all.

• Content Provider
30 minutes ago, Terranigma said:

My Sandisk no longer stops the device from booting and it also can load colour files, however, the Sandisk will not update the device.

Did you also update the bootloader to the latest, which comes with 4.23 ?

• Content Provider
15 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Did you also update the bootloader to the latest, which comes with 4.23 ?

I had some trouble getting into DFU mode but that could be my USB cable. I managed to get it updated today and now my SanDisk card will be read and can also perform an update with no problem.

The Samsung card is still not recognised at all but I don't think that card was recognised on the standard Pin2dmd's either so it's nothing new. The SanDisk however was working on the standard Pin2dmd's and now after the latest update works on the HD's too.

Looking for some help, I just got my LED panels in the mail for my EVO HD from AliExpress. I ordered from the link here on page 1 and want to make sure I received the correct ones. I am building Pin2Dmd for first time and I got a bit nervous because they do not look like the ones in photos that Lucky put up. They say S1.8L V3. Anyone else order from AliExpess and receive these? Can I use the for the EVO HD? Thanks 

Pin2 HD LED 2 20210916 vp - Copy.jpg