PIN2DMD EVO HD - upgrade to 256x64 resolution

On 11/27/2021 at 1:46 PM, legolas24 said:

Hi, I bought the evo 256 board in PCBway and the lucky link matrix, I manage to put it in DFU mode and load the firmware 4.27 without problems but when I turn on it does not appear more than a few illuminated lines. Any suggestions? Is it necessary to activate for something to come out in the matrix?

IMG-20211126-WA0025.thumb.jpg.7ccc11da72c7b3fc38c476f3cd142088.jpg

Maybe it would help somebody - I got the same result (two illuminated lines but on EVO 128) with one of my SD cards (that works perfectly with a card reader on PC). Replacing the SD card, in my case, works.  

Hi Lucky,

Apologies to ask but do you have a gerber file you can share for the 256x64.

I have looked at the PCBWay shared project site, and they only list the centroid and BOM. The gerber just automatically loads when you add to cart.

I have had quite a few quality control issues with PCBway in the past and have found elecrow to be more reliable, hence needing a copy of the gerber.

many thanks

Thank you Lucky and legolas24 for sharing this.  I received the same panels as legolas24 from the link on the first page as well. I have been a bit nervous and wasn't sure if they would work. I wouldn't even know where to start, I am still learning and really appreciate all the time and work being done on this. The pictures are really helping me as well. Thanks again. 

On 11/7/2021 at 8:49 AM, Rene368 said:

As it seems no one has feedback. So i'm making version 1.0 of the "HD Shield" available.

If there are things not clear or missing, please ask me/tell me.

I have included the Eagle files, the gerber files for manufacturing, the partlist, a .DXF for a laser cut panel (copied the board outline from the EVO HD PCB file), a picture of the .DXF file when opened and a picture of how I imagined the shield to be placed on the RGB panels.

Shield PCB dimensions: ~120x120cm.

-René

PIN2DMD_HD_Shield.zipFetching info...

thank you for doing this,  

I tried to order some PCBs but did not add the correct dimensions,  I added 100x100 similar to the standard DMD size V4 version shield. 

the cost for those boards was ; (X5) boards for  $4.90 + shipping

the price for X5 Boards @ 120x120mm is $25.39 + shipping

they  told me that if this PCB dimensions are changed to 100x100.  The cost will go down to $4.90  for the 5 boards.

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, Pinballuser said:

the price for X5 Boards @ 120x120mm is $25.39 + shipping

they  told me that if this PCB dimensions are changed to 100x100.  The cost will go down to $4.90  for the 5 boards.

This is exactly why I placed the comment below. 

On 9/21/2021 at 10:52 AM, Rene368 said:

But as it is a DIY PCB I thought you could also buy it at another PCB manufacture like JLCPCB.

PCBWAY is, in my opinion, quite expensive. So I make my PCB's at JLCPCB and have good experience with them. This 120x120m PCB would cost $10 without shipping at JLCPCB.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I finally have my pin2dmd working, but I have a problem with FX3. It doesn't look good and when I get out of it it says the following "communication error check cabelling and firmware version" leaving me the pin2dmd inoperative until I restart it. Any suggestion? In vpx and future is perfect

26bd9234-7728-49da-adc4-115bfbece588.thumb.jpg.cd03bc3fbe34df44f10e3e2aa2a50e3a.jpg

1 hour ago, lucky1 said:

Does FX3 use my dmddevice.dll ? 

Yes, I use dmddevice.dll from folder "integration\pinmame" VPX and future is perfect but not FX3.

My script for Pinup:

START "" "[STARTDIR]Launch\VPXSTARTER.exe" 5 5 20 "Pinball FX3"

START "" "[DIREMU]\steam.exe" -applaunch 442120 -table_[GAMENAME]

cd /d "C:\vpinball\VisualPinball\VPinMAME" timeout 5

start /min "" "PUPDMDControl.exe" FX3 PINUP\[GAMENAME]

• Content Provider

I´m not up to date with my vpin installation but isn´t FX3 using Freezy to display its content and which currently does not support 64 colors or HD ? I don´t know of any dmddevice.dll interface for FX3 which can directly use my DLL but maybe I´m wrong. Which pin2dmd firmware version are you running ?

1 hour ago, lucky1 said:

I´m not up to date with my vpin installation but isn´t FX3 using Freezy to display its content and which currently does not support 64 colors or HD ? I don´t know of any dmddevice.dll interface for FX3 which can directly use my DLL but maybe I´m wrong. Which pin2dmd firmware version are you running ?

I update to 4.30 and I use PUPDMDCONTROL with script from nailbuster for pin2dmd.

I have not tried with dmdext / freezy 1.9, I do not know the script, but I suspect that it may not work with HD

• 2 weeks later...

hi everyone,

i have upgraded the firmware to dfu 4.30 no worries.  on the other hand if I want to put it back, impossible dfu reset does nothing.

Do you think the ICND2153AP works?

Edited by dom69
I went back to reading, dfu and power it's ok

As I have not been able to get FX3 to go with pin2dmd HD, I decided to leave the dmd on the lcd and thought of loading a logo on pin2dmd. The problem is that I use the command "pin2dmd /i image.ppm" but it does not put any image, I have tried all the examples on github but nothing. However, if I use the command "pin2dmd /r", it resets the pin2dmd without problems.

that eliminates the fact that there is no communication for usb, I don't know if some special type of ppm is needed as it is HD,

Someone has tried?

On 12/5/2021 at 12:25 PM, Rene368 said:

This is exactly why I placed the comment below. 

PCBWAY is, in my opinion, quite expensive. So I make my PCB's at JLCPCB and have good experience with them. This 120x120m PCB would cost $10 without shipping at JLCPCB.

Based on the PIN2DMD for < $135,  I ordered mine from Elecrow PCB

I paid $17 for X5 of the V4 shields,  I think shipping has increased since I ordered this

I paid $26  for X5 (but got 6)  for the 120X120m HD shields.  Paid for them on Dec-10 got hem on Dec-23

only problem I have now; is that the panels I ordered are different from the ones posted by Lucky1.

the panels Lucky1 used have 2 connectors, mine only has one. The panels I got have the JXI5123GP display driver.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rontui83im7oy9x/IMG_20220122_121504335.jpg?dl=0

I asked the manufacture about this and said they are the same panels . I tried my 5V 5A power supply from my V4 shield and was told I needed a 5V 40A power supply for this panels.

@lucky1

Lucky1,  I downloaded the latest master pack from the github,  but noticed that the firmware for the Evo board has a different versions for each panel size:  Data East 128X16,  Standard 128X32, HD and  XL.

But the Nucleo only has 2,  One for the Standard 128x32  and the XL.  What firmware version do I use for the HD 256X64

if any one is intreated, 

Once they are fully tested,  I will have 3 V4 versions for sale and 3 HD versions for sale and an extra DYI version.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qpwkdhd5mb6imo0/IMG_20220123_102710060.jpg?dl=0

@Rene368:  you might want to set up your Beer me. a donation will come your way once I get rid of my extra shields

HD pannel.png

Edited by Pinballuser

• Content Provider
56 minutes ago, Pinballuser said:

But the Nucleo only has 2,  One for the Standard 128x32  and the XL.  What firmware version do I use for the HD 256X64

You need a Nucleo STM32H743ZI with the EVO HD Firmware for HD

• Content Provider
54 minutes ago, Pinballuser said:

so I need to buy a NUCLEO-STM32H743ZI

a controller that is no longer manufactured

That's why the NUCLEO-H743ZI2 is in the partlist ;).

https://uk.farnell.com/stmicroelectronics/nucleo-h743zi2/dev-board-32bit-arm-cortex-m7/dp/3106010?ost=nucleo-h743zi2

2 hours ago, Pinballuser said:

the panels Lucky1 used have 2 connectors, mine only has one

Connector wise this should not matter, because the shield also has two separate HUB75 ports.

2 hours ago, Pinballuser said:

The panels I got have the JXI5123GP display driver.

Software wise this could matter, but I don't know if it will. I can't help with the software part. Lucky1 could probably answer if this driver is support at this time.

• Content Provider
13 hours ago, Rene368 said:

Software wise this could matter, but I don't know if it will. I can't help with the software part. Lucky1 could probably answer if this driver is support at this time.

It seems that the JXI5123GP is compatible to MBI5124 which should work, but can´t say for sure because I never had that chipset.

F4 is too weak for that panel size 

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, Rappelbox said:

maybe i missed it, but what is that small cutout in the acrylic files for? the one on the acrylic frames below the display cutout?
Thanks in advance and y'all have a nice weekend :)

It is meant for a backlit logo !

• 1 month later...
  • Content Provider

We are several months further since my pictures of the nucleo HD board.

@Rappelbox has had a prototype made of version 1.0 and this resulted in a few points for improvement.

V1.1 is now ready for release. I'm happy to share the files with the community.

!!! NOTE: The chinese LED panels can have the magnets/screw holes in another position than desired.

Becasue of this, the position of the magnets/screw holes should always be checked if they will not touch any electical components on the PCB.

If this is the case, you can simply put a piece of tape over this area. !!!

PIN2DMD_NUCLEO_HD_BOARD_V11.zip