PIN2DMD EVO HD - upgrade to 256x64 resolution

Dumb question. I pulled up the linked flexible panel on ali express, but the specs show it having a resolution of 128x128. Did I accidentally pull up the wrong panel or is that a typo?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001803946216.html

Selling Point

Item P1.875 Chip Epstar  Light type SMD1515 Pixel Pitch 1.875mm Module Size 240mmX240mm Module Resolution  128*128 (dots) Density of pixel 284444dots/m2 Pixel configuration 1R1G1B Red wavelength 625±2nm Green wavelength 525±2nm Blue wavelength 470±2nm Colors 16777216 Best viewing distance ≥2m viewing angle 120°/120° Maximum power consumption 20W Brightness 800cd/m2 Gray scale 14bits per color Color temperature 9000k Control method Synchronization or Asynchronization Driving method 1/32 scanning Frame frequency 60Hz Refresh frequency ≥1920Hz Working Voltage DC5V IP grade IP45 MTBF More than 8000hours Life Span 80,000hours

Also, it this one is a little bit cheaper (40 USD vs 50): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33031707207.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.286d4bd1oC15J2&algo_pvid=1e880c50-bcc3-48f5-8c84-00263dad4469&algo_exp_id=1e880c50-bcc3-48f5-8c84-00263dad4469-0

Does that look like it would work as well?

• Content Provider
8 hours ago, joetechbob said:

Dumb question. I pulled up the linked flexible panel on ali express, but the specs show it having a resolution of 128x128. Did I accidentally pull up the wrong panel or is that a typo?

You need two of those.

8 hours ago, joetechbob said:

Does that look like it would work as well?

I can´t tell from the specs. You have to ask about the chipset and make sure you it is NON-PWM like MBI5124. Or you have to try.

Thanks. RE the WPC 95 frame -- loaded up your drawing in inkscape and only see a single layer. Was expecting at least two from your pics -- could you give a little more detail on how your frame design is assembled? I'm assuming you have empty space between two laser cut panels in order to form slots for the four posts to slide into/out of for mounting into the head. What do the bottom and top look like? (I.e., channel on top for holding backglass, and then bottom set up to "snugly" rest inside cab head so that it's not shifting around.)

I wonder if it would be possible to come up with a common front panel design and then have swappable 3d printed parts for the inside that vary based on target machine family. (assuming common outer panel dimensions -- not sure if that's true)

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, joetechbob said:

Thanks. RE the WPC 95 frame -- loaded up your drawing in inkscape and only see a single layer. Was expecting at least two from your pics -- could you give a little more detail on how your frame design is assembled? I'm assuming you have empty space between two laser cut panels in order to form slots for the four posts to slide into/out of for mounting into the head. What do the bottom and top look like? (I.e., channel on top for holding backglass, and then bottom set up to "snugly" rest inside cab head so that it's not shifting around.)

I wonder if it would be possible to come up with a common front panel design and then have swappable 3d printed parts for the inside that vary based on target machine family. (assuming common outer panel dimensions -- not sure if that's true)

The frame consists of 4 layers . I have created one svg for each layer in the attached zip.

Feel free to modify to your needs. Would be great if you would share your improved design here.

WPC95_SPK_HD_1.0.zip

• Content Provider
43 minutes ago, joetechbob said:

Thanks. It seems Inkscape isn't correctly loading the file then. I don't have Adobe Illustrator -- will try some other editors to see if I can get it to correctly load/separate the four layers.

Maybe you will have better luck with a DXF file? Can Inkscape handle those correctly? I think AI can export to that format.

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, joetechbob said:

Thanks. It seems Inkscape isn't correctly loading the file then. I don't have Adobe Illustrator -- will try some other editors to see if I can get it to correctly load/separate the four layers.

I opened the SVGs in the zip with inkscape and it worked fine.

22 hours ago, Benoit33 said:

hi

if i resume i take the nucleo board "classic" and i change just the size to the board and i put nulceo 144 h743zi. it's right ? just that ?

i have already that

nucleo.thumb.jpg.939121b5b15381f4c33c869929beedaa.jpg

no, you will also need new cirquits, 2 outputs for example, level shifters etc.

there is NO "cheap" way of doing it ;)

RE: @lucky1 for WPC95 speaker panels. Have you looked into whether the speaker panels from MMr, AFMr, etc., would work? I wasn't able to find them for sale on planetary's site, but thought about reaching out to them to see if they have any on hand to sell. Didn't take measurements yet, as I don't have my pin2dmd evo hd boards on hand yet, but glanced at a friend's MMr and it looks like the way it mounts into the head is the same as the original WPC95 panel.

• Content Provider

Hi Lucky, I received my Pin2DMD HD panels today but I am having an issue.

It looks like there is some bleeding or ghosting on the screen. You can see it on the main Pin2dmd boot screen, there is a line down the middle of the displays as well as some bleed around the letters. I checked your original image and it seems yours may have this too, but it is far less noticeable, you need to zoom in.

I have done a display test and all the pixels light up fine with no issues. This line also disappears when you play a game, but the ghosting is still present around the image and also on certain parts of the screen. It will disappear when it switches to the next scene though and isn't permanent. I will explain what I have done so far.

- Pin2dmd HD EVO with latest 4.18 Firmware

- LED Panels from your link in this thread

- Swapped different LED Panels

- Swapped different Pin2dmd HD PCBS

- Swapped different brand and length ribbon cables

- Re flashed the firmware

- Running on WPC95 machine with pinball machine power and also have tried bench top power supply

I have posted the images below of mine as well as the picture you posted with some areas highlighted. Please let me know if you have any advice. Thanks!

image0-1.jpeg

IMG_9301.jpeg

IMG_9302.jpeg

IMG_9303.jpeg

IMG_9304.jpeg

• Content Provider

Thank you for the fast reply. Is this something that can be addressed in a firmware update in the future or is it just a case of what panels we are supplied?

Does the chipset on my panels pictured above match the one you received for your prototype?

Thanks

• Content Provider

I have the same issue on my prototype. Maybe I can find something to get around this issue but so far no success and since it is not visible in my AFM I did not waste any time on this.

• 2 weeks later...