PIN2DMD EVO HD - upgrade to 256x64 resolution

• Content Provider

Time to present my latest development, I have been working on the last couple of months. Searching for components on aliexpress I stumbled over some new flexible panels with 128x64 resolution and P1.875 dotpitch (https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005001803946216.html), which brought me to the idea to double the output resolution of 128x32 pinball displays to 256x64 dots using two of those panels.  There are a several different versions of those panels available using different chipsets. Make sure you get a NON-EPWM chipset like MBI5124 on the panels from above. The pcb designs, firmware and WPC95 frame design can currently be found in the beta branch on github https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/. Shared PCBWay project is here

There are currently two pcb designs tested by me . On is based on through-hole parts with a DevEBox STM32H743VIT board as described here is here https://pin2dmd.com/hardware/#2.2 

DevEbox-1-300x225.jpg

and the other is based on a custom made pcb populated with SMD parts which can be ordered fully assembled here

https://www.pcbway.com/project/shareproject/PIN2DMD_EVO256x64_RGB_LED_Dotmatrix_Pinball_Display_Controller.html

Here are some pictures of my EVO board design.

image2.jpg

image0-1.jpeg

The good thing is that thanks to 1.8mm dotpitch the display area has a size of 480x120mm and therefore still fits into standard pinball machines using a modified speakpanel with smaller speakers. I designed one for my WPC95 machines

combining laser-cut black and transparent acrylic in different thickness. Here are some pictures of that speakerpanel

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

Flexible panels are normally attached to the surface using magnets . To mount them to the EVO board I had the idea to

use DIN921 M4x6 large head screws to which the magnets stick.

image3.jpeg

The pin2dmd firmware has integrated 2 scaling algorithms which you can choose in the onscreen menu to display the content made for 128x32 on the 256x64. That already looks quite impressive but Steve and I also modified the editor to allow to replace complete pictures or parts of a picture with high resolution content. The new version of the editor is in the beta folder on google drive. I hope that some talented artists take that opportunity to upgrade the experience of our beloved pinball machines.

image1-1.jpeg

Rene368 made a Nucleo STM32H743 based design which he shared here https://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/5348-pin2dmd-evo-hd-upgrade-to-256x64-resolution/page/9/#comment-61108

• lucky1 changed the title to PIN2DMD EVO HD - upgrade to 256x64 resolution
  • lucky1 pinned this topic
  • Content Provider
8 minutes ago, T0mT0m said:

What to say ..... SPECTACULAR !!!!!

Too bad .... I just got my first order from PCBWay :(

This is not a general replacement for PIN2DMD 128x32 as it is larger (480x120mm) and needs a modified speaker panel

The PIN2DMD 128x32 is still the best choice as a drop in replacement for old plasma displays (320x80mm)

• Content Provider

If you order some panels make sure you use the ones from the link above with MBI5124 chipset. There are a lot of different versions with different chipsets out there. Only NON-EPWM chipsets are currently supported.

1 hour ago, lucky1 said:

Questo non è un sostituto generale per PIN2DMD 128x32 in quanto è più grande (480x120 mm) e necessita di un pannello dell'altoparlante modificato

Il PIN2DMD 128x32 è ancora la scelta migliore come sostituto dei vecchi display al plasma (320x80mm)

Concordo pienamente !!
Ma rimane comunque una fantastica modifica da effettuare....
come i nuovi remake

• Content Provider
6 minutes ago, latenite04 said:

Great work, that looks amazing. Were there any hardware changes to the EVO board or is it just the size. Would a v4 shield with the new firmware be able to run these panels?

V4 shield will not work because it uses two independed HUb75 ports. Additionally it uses a STM32H7 @400Mhz

• Content Provider
3 minutes ago, malenko said:

well fuck, I want one. I dont have the time or ability to make one, gonna sell me one?

No ! My prototypes are hand soldered and I don´t sell them. You have to wait for someone else to make them. Sorry

• Content Provider
12 hours ago, lucky1 said:

I hope that some talented artists take that opportunity to upgrade the experience of our beloved pinball machines.

That'll make that part hard to do then.

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, trueno92 said:

@malenko, trueno92 from the lw3 pinside thread, here. 

Once more of this develops, ill try to get some done.  Im curious how existing work looks when its upscaled.. i hope it isnt too ugly..

The picture of Saruman I posted above is upscaled using Scale2X scaler mode

Wow @lucky1that looks incredible. Even with the upscaling it still looks super impressive. Thanks for all your hard work and ongoing commitment to this project. Your are making a lot of pinball people very happy.

Any idea when the new evo design will be ready to release on github? Keen to get building!

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Would you be able to upload a centroid and Gerber at all? I understand we can generate them ourselves but for a brand new project I would feel much more confident if they were produced like the previous ones you have done. 

If not that is ok, I'm keen to get a batch done asap and just want to make sure everything is correct. 

Thank you!

4 hours ago, lucky1 said:

The picture of Saruman I posted above is upscaled using Scale2X scaler mode

How do animations look?  Does the current processor have enough power to colorize 64 color and upscale? Wow that looks amazing!! Would love to see it installed in a game running full colorizarion!@