PIN2DMD EVO HD - upgrade to 256x64 resolution

• Content Provider
16 hours ago, stumblor said:

Looks as though there are some cheaper options on ali for the 1.875 screens. These look the same to me, thoughts @lucky1?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33031707207.html

I have emailed the seller to find out whether they are NON-EPWM

I don´t have any thoughts about sources I did not try. Pictures say nothing in chinese advertisements. The type of chipset which is used on the panels is the only thing of interest.

hi @lucky1 i understand evo 256 ready to ride is not sold anywhere.  Now once you have bought the pcb and the matrix, is there a place where you can buy the rest of the hardware to solder on the pcb?

Any store where they sell you everything that puts in the evo 256x64 bom.xls?

thanks

• Content Provider
22 minutes ago, legolas24 said:

evo 256x64 bom.xls

Digikey or Mouser should have everything but I don´t know if it is currently available.

I soldered mine from the leftovers of 128x32 EVOs and bought the CPU from LCSC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Hey @lucky1,

I just went to activate one of my HD panels and it looks like it is not reading my SD card. I tried different SD cards and also tried FAt32 and EXFAT as the file system. The cards are good as they work in my 128x32 EVO's. I usually check my PCBS right away but these have been on hold for a bit. I ended up checking them all and they all don't read the SD card. It would be strange to have a hardware issue with all of them? 

The red light stays on and doesn't go out like it would usually do when you have an SD card inserted.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

• Content Provider
58 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

Did you check the connections against the schematics ?

Closeup pictures of the area around the card slot ?

Yes I have checked schematics and the SD Card slot looks good.

42 minutes ago, stumblor said:

@lucky1 @Terranigma

Had the same issue with the first HD one I built also. Board wouldn't boot, nothing written to the SD card (activiation code file usually is). Changing the SD card solved it.

I'll try to get some information on what the cards were, brand, filesystem etc.

This was the problem, thank you. The brand of SD card was the problem. My Sandisk and Kingston ones did not work. A generic one did. It seems for whatever reason, this set up is very picky with the SD card brand. The file system wasn't an issue, that was FAT32 still.

Mine booted though, they just wouldn't read or write to the SD card. Very strange.

• Content Provider
10 minutes ago, legolas24 said:

Hi @lucky1I have seen that a store sells these 2 products

STM32 NUCLEO 144 - F429ZI PCB
Shield STM32 Nucleo

Could the new flexible 128x64 resolution and P1.875 dotpitch panels be mounted with this or are they not valid?

Thanks

No. Works only with the EVO HD board

• Content Provider
9 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

should be fixed in 4.21

Says update on screen, goes black and then the red LED at the back constantly flashes.

Checking the SD card after, it has renamed the pin2dmd_HD.upd to update.bin

Didn't update

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, Terranigma said:

Says update on screen, goes black and then the red LED at the back constantly flashes.

Checking the SD card after, it has renamed the pin2dmd_HD.upd to update.bin

Didn't update

Problem is on your side. Just tested it and worked without a problem.

Just load firmware using DFU mode and the device should work again

• Content Provider
1 minute ago, lucky1 said:

Problem is on your side. Just tested it and worked without a problem.

Just load firmware using DFU mode and the device should work again

Could be the SD card I’m using isn’t 100% compatible too. I’ve tried on multiple units and can’t get the update to work.

I will flash via DFU

• Content Provider

I can't seem to enter DFU mode on any of my pcbs. The display goes black but the red LED stays on but can't detect the device.

In standard mode it shows as PIN2DMD, but in Dfu it is like it isn't connected to the PC at all.

It could be that I have a bad batch of PCBs or something else is going on I am not sure.

• Content Provider
Just now, stumblor said:

Haven't tried updating with SD card I always just programme directly using DFU, but yeah mine were fine. It was only when trying to boot after that that I was having problems with certain SD cards.

Initial programming with DFU mode was fine. It is only now that I am trying to get into DFU mode again that I am having issues.

When you get a chance, could you check on yours and see if you can enter DFU mode again? Thanks

• Content Provider
25 minutes ago, stumblor said:

Okay yep - I now can't connect via DFU either. 

So to be clear, this seems like it's only an issue AFTER the boards have been flashed for the first time.

Yep that is what is happening. 

Did you also try updating via SD card? I’m thinking that because the pcbs can’t be put into DFU mode the update fails.