PIN2DMD EVO HD - upgrade to 256x64 resolution

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, olschool said:

Awesome  work, that looks amazing. 😍

Where do you found LOTR pinball animation ? need one for my pin

It is from the VPIN version shared here in the forum

• Content Provider
3 hours ago, Terranigma said:

Would you be able to upload a centroid and Gerber at all? I understand we can generate them ourselves but for a brand new project I would feel much more confident if they were produced like the previous ones you have done. 

If not that is ok, I'm keen to get a batch done asap and just want to make sure everything is correct. 

Thank you!

PCBWay project is shared in the first post 

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, trueno92 said:

How do animations look?  Does the current processor have enough power to colorize 64 color and upscale? Wow that looks amazing!! Would love to see it installed in a game running full colorizarion!@

It uses STM32H7 @ 400Mhz 

@lucky1

Awesome work !!!

Just to understand here...

Very interested in knocking one of these up for one of my real pinballs...... I get they will need a custom speaker panel... However this makes the CGC-style larger panels a real posability for a reasonable price...

Soo.. Having never done one of these before.. as far as i can tell i need :

2 x https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001803946216.html

1 x populated controller from PCBWay....

1 x Software licence

Is this correct?

Question - any rough idea on how much the Populated controller costs from PCBway (just so i know the approx costs)

Thanks!

• Content Provider
30 minutes ago, toibs said:

2 x https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001803946216.html

1 x populated controller from PCBWay....

1 x Software licence

Yes !

30 minutes ago, toibs said:

Question - any rough idea on how much the Populated controller costs from PCBway (just so i know the approx costs)

No ! Because so far I have only ordered the unpopulated PCB for my prototypes.

Here is a video that show how you get a quote . You can skip the github download part. All files needed (GERBER, CENTROID and BOM) are uploaded to pcbway.

20 hours ago, lucky1 said:

It uses STM32H7 @ 400Mhz 

Regarding that processor, seems like it's out of stock at most places - the fabricator I use has no stock, and neither does any of the major suppliers, mouser, digikey, farnell etc. I don't know about PCBWay, but they usually order most of their parts in anyway, so I imagine they'd have the same issue. Ali has some, but these could be sketchy ripoffs.

Seems like the one used on the 128x32 (STM32F427VIT6) is a bit better, is this definitely too under powered for the upscaling? 

4 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Yes !

No ! Because so far I have only ordered the unpopulated PCB for my prototypes.

Here is a video that show how you get a quote . You can skip the github download part. All files needed (GERBER, CENTROID and BOM) are uploaded to pcbway.

Completely confused now since PCBWay looks different now :(

I have this...

image.thumb.png.133992d4a32a2f906a08f9e3dc851fb7.png

image.thumb.png.8abdb14d9711a660837d53224c90851b.png

Does this look anything like it should be?? :D

Cheers

• Content Provider
3 hours ago, stumblor said:

Seems like the one used on the 128x32 (STM32F427VIT6) is a bit better, is this definitely too under powered for the upscaling? 

It is not about the upscaling only, but yes !

• Content Provider
3 hours ago, toibs said:

Does this look anything like it should be?? :D

Cheers

The defaults are okay except that I choose a black solder mask.

Components will be calculated from the BOM file

9 hours ago, lucky1 said:

V4 shield will not work because it uses two independed HUb75 ports. Additionally it uses a STM32H7 @400Mhz

great job lucky

their is a folder for the Nucleo board in  the link  to the project 

https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/beta/hardware/V4 NUCLEO-144

can we use the Nucleo board with this panels.

I was in the process of building some shields for the regular size panels, and almost ordered the Sega 2X sized  RGB panels.

but decided not to.  can you post a pictures   on how the scaling looks for this tittles on this style of RGB panels.

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, Pinballuser said:

can we use the Nucleo board with this panels.

No

can you post a pictures   on how the scaling looks for this tittles on this style of RGB panels.

There is no scaling for 192x64 . They are just centered on 256x64

I just got a quote back from PCBWay. Yikes. There are a lot of things it appears they are overpaying for because they are hard to source and you got to pay what you got to pay to get them. Anyways, currently, 5 boards are $600 assembled in case anyone is wondering. 

4 hours ago, BrewNinja said:

I just got a quote back from PCBWay. Yikes. There are a lot of things it appears they are overpaying for because they are hard to source and you got to pay what you got to pay to get them. Anyways, currently, 5 boards are $600 assembled in case anyone is wondering. 

Wow @BrewNinja, hoping its a temporary situation on the pricing.  Wonder how hard it may be to make the bezel from wood or plexi or sacrifice bezel.

Edited by trueno92

• Content Provider
On 6/23/2021 at 8:49 PM, Zigzagzag said:

I cannot seem to find the Centroid file ... could someone point me in the right direction ?

If I choose "Add to cart" on PCBWay, only the Gerber file seems to come through.

Centroid is in the Gerber.zip which I uploaded to PCBWay

• 4 weeks later...

the thing is that most of us only want one.

we can't or don't plan to spend over $500 ordering EVO boards in bulk and then trying to sell what we don't plan to keep.

I don't mind ordering Nucleo based PCBs in bulk and then building them given that the total cost for them is not that big.

I just spent $16 on 5 PCBs  ($5 on the PCBs and $10 for shipping)

https://www.elecrow.com/pcb-manufacturing.html

less then $20 on components for 5 VP only shields

I had the LEDs, Male Header Pins and IDC socket

a Nucleo based option is better for us DIYers

Edited by Pinballuser

• Content Provider
54 minutes ago, Pinballuser said:

the thing is that most of us only want one.

we can't or don't plan to spend over $500 ordering EVO boards in bulk and then trying to sell what we don't plan to keep.

I don't mind ordering Nucleo based PCBs in bulk and then building them given that the total cost for them is not that big.

I just spent $16 on 5 PCBs  ($5 on the PCBs and $10 for shipping)

https://www.elecrow.com/pcb-manufacturing.html

less then $20 on components for 5 VP only shields

I had the LEDs, Male Header Pins and IDC socket

a Nucleo based option is better for us DIYers

Understood, but I´m not some kind of PCB service and it will cost me a couple of hours to make a design for such a shield PCB which I currently prefer spending on other things.  If you are DIYers why not make one yourself. The schematics fo the EVO are on github, You just need to copy them to a Nucleo design.

17 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

Understood, but I´m not some kind of PCB service and it will cost me a couple of hours to make a design for such a shield PCB which I currently prefer spending on other things.  If you are DIYers why not make one yourself. The schematics fo the EVO are on github, You just need to copy them to a Nucleo design.

so the nucleo board will work ,  we just need to make (design)  a PCB based on the schematic?

• Content Provider

so the nucleo board will work ,  we just need to make (design)  a PCB based on the schematic?

Why should it not work ? I used the H743 Nucleo-144 to test the design. Btw the first shields were designed by members of the community.

a few posts back I asked if we could use the Nucleo board with this panels and you said no.

I guess I should of been more clear,   I should of asked if we could use the Nucleo Board with an updated Shield to work with this panels.

Edited by Pinballuser