PIN2DMD EVO HD - upgrade to 256x64 resolution

@lucky1

It looks like STM32F427VIT6 is available at LCSC at an "almost" reasonable price (20 dollars - OK it was way cheaper a few years ago, but compared to the 90 dollars I've seen over the last few months, it's certainly better)

So I was looking to get a quote from JLCPCB, unfortunately, of course, other components are out of stock, especially the this part TS2940CP33

And of course, there is no direct replacement available in inventory at JLCPCB/LCSC.

Can you please provide some guidance on which parameters are crucial for this part selection:  I assume output voltage, min amp output of 1A, but what about the other characteristics (dropout voltage, protection feature) ?

Also on the package, it's not clear to me why LCSC would have a distinction between TO-252 and TO-252 (DPAK), since to me they are the same (there is a difference to my knowledge with D2PAK, but based on the datasheet the original LDO seems DPAK anyway).

I'll get a quote from PCBWay as well though, but for other projects JLCPCB has been cheaper usually.

Thanks for your help !

[EDIT] Sorry, posted in the wrong thread, and can't delete. I'll post in the correct thread

Edited by Ashram56
Wrong thread

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, it's been a long time since I consulted and I've been reading the thread. I have been encouraged to make an order to PCBWay and  have sent me some alternative components, I have seen some of them in the thread (the ones shaded in green) but the others not, would it be correct to be able to formalize the order? On another question, is the link for the matrices in the first post still valid? I apologize in advance for my ignorance on component issues. Thanks in advance

image.thumb.png.0518dc1f2d5ba4e666ec49029b75cbad.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2022 at 1:18 AM, lucky1 said:

No experience with that chipset. Maybe someone else.

Finally I have some boards to test and the FM6124 Non-EPWM chipset panels supplied do in fact work.

I hope this helps others looking for panels to buy

hi to everybody, i have a problem with a pin2dmdhd, the problem is when i turn it on (give the 12v to the stepdown) it stays all black, nothing happen,so i press reset button and it turns on and works fine, i turn it off and when i turn it on it does again...

...i tryed to look at the solders and at the components on the board and they seems to be all fine.

So i decided to flash the firmware again but when i do the dfu procedure, it doesn't enter in dfu mode anymore.

First of all: does someone know about what my problem can be caused from?

second: what do i have to do to enter again in dfu mode to flash the firmware again?

thanks to everybody

• Content Provider
15 hours ago, darden78 said:

hi to everybody, i have a problem with a pin2dmdhd, the problem is when i turn it on (give the 12v to the stepdown) it stays all black, nothing happen,so i press reset button and it turns on and works fine, i turn it off and when i turn it on it does again...

...i tryed to look at the solders and at the components on the board and they seems to be all fine.

So i decided to flash the firmware again but when i do the dfu procedure, it doesn't enter in dfu mode anymore.

First of all: does someone know about what my problem can be caused from?

second: what do i have to do to enter again in dfu mode to flash the firmware again?

thanks to everybody

Is it Nucleo based ?

3 hours ago, lucky1 said:

For the H7 cpu on the pin2dmd HD you should hold the DFU button and power cycle the board. Reset does not work reliably.

ok, thank you, i entered in dfu mode and i flashed the firmware again, it seemed to work for the first 4/5 times i tryed, than it started again giving me the problem.

Now i noticed it's not a rule, it does it randomly, for example it turns on for 2 times and 1 time not, or the contrary, or one and one...

...and i noticed it happens even if i press the reset button, for example it works, i press the reset and at the reboot it stays black.

Any idea? could it be a not good chip? or component on the board?

• 1 month later...

Hello, I bought the address matrices from the first post, they have a magnetic system anchor, I was wondering if there is the same thing but to be able to screw, in case someone has found one that works for pin2dmd HD but that is not a magnetic system

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @suerte1I really don't know if this is the right place for this question.  I have pin2dmd with stm32 144 F429ZI, it is possible to connect HD panels on this nucleo? if so, the firmware would have to be changed but I have not seen it inside the firmware folder.  Thanks.

Edited by Pinbabilly

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Content Provider

In general yes but the problem is that almost each PWM chipset needs a different initialization and timing and the programming guides are not publicly available so a lot of research needs to be done to make them work. So for now try to get the non pwm panels until they ARE off market.

• 1 month later...

@lucky1 - Does the Pin2DMD HD firmware support Gottlieb machines? I installed the latest 4.52 firmware and don't see Gottlieb as an option in the device modes so I assume it isn't supported but thought I would ask in case I missed something.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Content Provider
1 hour ago, dom69 said:

Hi everyone,

on the devebox, why is there no full color when turned on? Do I have to do a reset on the devebox for it to work?

So far no differences in behaviour between DevEBox and EVO HD have been reported. Maybe a issue specifc to your build. Please provide more details / pictures.

4 minutes ago, dom69 said:

Yes it's strange,

I have to do a reset on the devbox so that the display is in full colorization. without I am with the default colors.

version 4.52

Shield version 1.00

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg