[New VP10 Alert] X-Men LE (Stern 2012) VPW Mod

X-Men LE (Stern 2012) VPW Mod

"Who Wants Some!"

VPW are proud to present X-Men Wolverine and Magneto Limited Edition by Stern!

This table requires at least VPX 10.7.2 and the VR version requires at least 10.8.0-514
(Download Links Below)

Niwak wanted to port this table as one of the initial experiments for the blender toolkit, and I'm hoping you'll agree it came out rather well!

We took the opportunity to upgrade it to all the latest VPW bells and whistles as well along the way!

New Options Menu *WHILE IN GAME* hold the left magnasave and tap right magnasave.
*Requires FlexDMD (linked below)

V-Pin Workshop Mutants
Sixtoe - Project Lead, Physical Rebuild, Audio
Niwak - Playfield graphical rebuild, blender toolkit implementation and lighting, scripting.
Apophis - Iceman Ramp, Kickers, and Script Tweaks
Iaakki - Magneto magnet helper

Wylte - Shadows and script tweaks.
Testing - Rik, BountyBob, PinStratsDan, VPW Team

Based On:
VPX Mod by Sixtoe, DJRobX, EBIsLit
VPX Mod by ICPJuggla, HauntFreaks, DJRobX and Arngrim
based on the original FP conversion by Freneticamnesic.

VPX 10.7.2 Official Release (Required)
https://github.com/vpinball/vpinball/releases/tag/v10.7.2-366-f94da1e

VPX 10.8.0-514 Pre-Release (fixes for VR Users)
https://github.com/vpinball/vpinball/actions/runs/3405492533

Flex DMD (Required)
https://github.com/vbousquet/flexdmd

I am getting memory errors intermittently when launching the table. I have seen this on both my cabinet, and desktop machine. I have confirmed another cabinet user I know is also seeing the same error.

I tried both 10.7.2 and 10.8.0 (beta) with the same results.

It appears to happen right after it launches the DMD, but that could be an illusion...

RTX3080ti/12GB video card.

741090997_errorcopy.thumb.jpg.f4ab6b29df57c1f182382538f6de347d.jpg

Does anyone know how to select the magneto edition. It doesn't seem to be in the script. I used the magnosave button and got the menu to pull up on screen. (Hey that's cool) when I pull the menu up with the magnasave, I see there is a magneto selection. What key selects it. It says off. How do I turn it on?

@jwkramer61 - hello, and as @Thalamus already said the "unable to create texture" error is indicative of a deficit of VRAM on your videocard needed in order to render the table at the required resolution of the table images.  Probably the most comprehensive solution would be to upgrade your videocard; however, that is not perhaps convenient and also costs money :-). 

The following is provided in the spirit of knowledge sharing and is not intended as a solution, but as a crude hack, so proceed at your own risk and in the same spirit :-).  A somewhat immediate and relatively easy (and free) option would be to open the table in VPX 10.7, select the table image manager, sort all images by size, and export the larger images to disk.  Once exported you could downscale the images using an image manipulation program such as GIMP, ensuring that the X/Y ratio remains locked.  For example, say you want to downscale a 64MB table image which is 4096x4096 you could experiment by rescaling the image to 2048x2048.  Reimport any rescaled images using the table image manager, save the table as table_scaled.vpx or some such and you should be able to run the table provided the total image raster sizes can be accommodated by the VRAM available to your videocard.  Note, this may degrade the video quality of the table depending on the method and scale used to downscale the images in question.  You may have good success using this technique with just a few of the largest table images.

Good luck,

Dylan

On 11/30/2022 at 6:26 AM, Thalamus said:

The true solution is probably to install and use the 64bit version of VP, or, adjust the max texture under video options. Error kind of says it all, probably not enough Videomem.

Are you referring to "Max Texture Dimensions"? Because I'm getting the same error and I have this set to "unlimited".

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

AMD Radeon RX6700xt

On 11/30/2022 at 3:17 AM, jwkramer61 said:

I am getting memory errors intermittently when launching the table. I have seen this on both my cabinet, and desktop machine. I have confirmed another cabinet user I know is also seeing the same error.

I tried both 10.7.2 and 10.8.0 (beta) with the same results.

It appears to happen right after it launches the DMD, but that could be an illusion...

741090997_errorcopy.thumb.jpg.f4ab6b29df57c1f182382538f6de347d.jpg

Following: I'm getting the same error.

Ryzen 5600g

Radeon RX6700XT

VPX max texture dimensions set to "unlimited"

6 hours ago, snort2root said:

@jwkramer61 - hello, and as @Thalamus already said the "unable to create texture" error is indicative of a deficit of VRAM on your videocard needed in order to render the table at the required resolution of the table images.  Probably the most comprehensive solution would be to upgrade your videocard; however, that is not perhaps convenient and also costs money :-). 

The following is provided in the spirit of knowledge sharing and is not intended as a solution, but as a crude hack, so proceed at your own risk and in the same spirit :-).  A somewhat immediate and relatively easy (and free) option would be to open the table in VPX 10.7, select the table image manager, sort all images by size, and export the larger images to disk.  Once exported you could downscale the images using an image manipulation program such as GIMP, ensuring that the X/Y ratio remains locked.  For example, say you want to downscale a 64MB table image which is 4096x4096 you could experiment by rescaling the image to 2048x2048.  Reimport any rescaled images using the table image manager, save the table as table_scaled.vpx or some such and you should be able to run the table provided the total image raster sizes can be accommodated by the VRAM available to your videocard.  Note, this may degrade the video quality of the table depending on the method and scale used to downscale the images in question.  You may have good success using this technique with just a few of the largest table images.

Good luck,

Dylan

I have a 3080ti with 12GB of Ram - does this table only run on a 4090?

On 11/30/2022 at 9:26 AM, Thalamus said:

The true solution is probably to install and use the 64bit version of VP, or, adjust the max texture under video options. Error kind of says it all, probably not enough Videomem.

I am running a 3080ti with 12GB of video ram - I can't imagine I am running out of video ram. I am guessing that just because the executable is 32 bit it does not limit the amount of ram the video card has access to, but I have no idea.

I asked about the 64 bit version of VPX before and was told to avoid it. I don't recall the exact reason why. I suppose I could test on my desktop. I was under the impression that the 64 bit version of VPX was not really 64 bit (whatever that means).

Anyway - one table isn't worth completely tipping the apple cart (so to speak). If the error persists I will just delete the table and move on. Not a big deal. I have not seen the error on any other table.

@jwkramer61 - I can't speak for this table's specific hardware requirements; however, based on the error message you shared it <appears> that your issue is related to available texture memory.  Your videocard seems up to scratch, but again, something is consuming your texture memory.   Without debug logs it's impossible to really diagnose, but you may want to investigate your nvidia driver version for a possible regression / downgrade / upgrade to test.  Not sure what else to check other than the standard Windows prerequisite performance tuning stuff relative to VPX.

Good luck - please share if any progress / resolution, thx.

-Dylan

IMHO, and FWIW, I find it more valuable to make singular and incremental adjustments to table-specific parameters (such as decreasing the elements detail slider by 1 notch) as opposed to making global changes, such as limiting the available texture dimension, when tuning a specific table to play on my hardware.  This is just the method I use when trying to tune a table to play well.  That said, if a table is outright crashing I would be more inclined to focus on global parameters, such as videocard driver version, and underlying OS / Windows tuning.

I’m any case, the VPX / VPINMAME app and Windows OS logs would be my first check to try to diagnose what is causing the crash.

Good luck,

Dylan

Strange thing, this mem error. I did no limitation and on my NVIDIA 6GB GTX 1060 it runs nice. Why do cards with more video ram produce this error? Its not logic.
Means that it may not depend only on the size of the vram if my 6GB card works and a 12GB Card does not.
Specs:

1080HD

Win 10 Pro
VPX 7.2
Nvidia gtx 1060
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz  
Driver: 527.37

Edited by Retsamikit

8 hours ago, BionicPinball said:

Are you referring to "Max Texture Dimensions"? Because I'm getting the same error and I have this set to "unlimited".

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

AMD Radeon RX6700xt

Yes, as weird as it might sound, "unlimited" is most probably the issue. Either reduce it, get a beta version of vpx, export images, reduce dimentions and re-import or get the 64bit version.

6 hours ago, jwkramer61 said:

I am running a 3080ti with 12GB of video ram - I can't imagine I am running out of video ram. I am guessing that just because the executable is 32 bit it does not limit the amount of ram the video card has access to, but I have no idea.

I asked about the 64 bit version of VPX before and was told to avoid it. I don't recall the exact reason why. I suppose I could test on my desktop. I was under the impression that the 64 bit version of VPX was not really 64 bit (whatever that means).

Anyway - one table isn't worth completely tipping the apple cart (so to speak). If the error persists I will just delete the table and move on. Not a big deal. I have not seen the error on any other table.

That's the thing. 32bit can only utilize ~ 4G without special techniques. Having 12Gb of Videomem when the limit is 4 doesn't help much. There has been many changes to the upstream 1.8 build of vpx. Give that a try, reduce the image textures or go for 64bit is my suggestion. Actually, before the latest db2s builds, 64bit wasn't really an alternative if you have DOF. Now it seems to work, using latest. The main issue with running 64bit is that at91jit isn't working. BUT, if your computer is fast enough, you might be able to overcome that.

1 hour ago, Thalamus said:

That's the thing. 32bit can only utilize ~ 4G without special techniques. Having 12Gb of Videomem when the limit is 4 doesn't help much. There has been many changes to the upstream 1.8 build of vpx. Give that a try, reduce the image textures or go for 64bit is my suggestion. Actually, before the latest db2s builds, 64bit wasn't really an alternative if you have DOF. Now it seems to work, using latest. The main issue with running 64bit is that at91jit isn't working. BUT, if your computer is fast enough, you might be able to overcome that.

I will start playing around with it on my desktop machine. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if this is a basic problem, but I can't seem to figure it out. Any thought on the below error? I'm using the backglass  linked on vpw's table page and i have the 1.51 LE rom from Stern's site. I'm getting this error when I try to run the table with 10.7.2:

Runtime error
-------------
Line: 154
Object required: 'Controller'

vpmInit Me
    With Controller
        .GameName = cGameName
        .SplashInfoLine = "XMEN LE, Stern (2012)" & vbNewLine & "VPW"
        .HandleKeyboard = 0
        .ShowTitle = 0
        .ShowDMDOnly = 1
        .ShowFrame = 0
        .HandleMechanics = 0
        On Error Resume Next
        .Run GetPlayerHWnd
        If Err Then MsgBox Err.Description
    End With

I'm able to get this X-Men version to run on 10.7:  https://vpuniverse.com/files/file/6119-x-men-le-stern-2012/

..but if I try running it with 10.7.2 I get a similar controller error.

Edited by keith7x
added info

50 minutes ago, keith7x said:

Sorry if this is a basic problem, but I can't seem to figure it out. Any thought on the below error? I'm using the backglass  linked on vpw's table page and i have the 1.51 LE rom from Stern's site. I'm getting this error when I try to run the table with 10.7.2:

Runtime error
-------------
Line: 154
Object required: 'Controller'

This table requires FlexDMD. Given the error, it sounds like it cannot locate the required FlexDMD components, hence the “controller” error. Did you install Flex DMD?

6 minutes ago, NoMention said:

This table requires FlexDMD. Given the error, it sounds like it cannot locate the required FlexDMD components, hence the “controller” error. Did you install Flex DMD?

Thanks, I installed it through Baller Installer but maybe trying to use 10.7.2 on this table alone is breaking that setup. I'll look into that some more.

Hi, fantastic table. Plays really great.

so, I turned ON the “staged flipper”

option, but it doesn’t seem to work. 

Staged flippers work fine in other tables like “whirlwind “.

is there something else I can check ?

thanks.

Edited by KiwiBri

• 3 weeks later...

Ok - When I installed this table when it came out it played and displayed fine.

Nvidia updated my GPU and now when I load the game half of the playfield is 'white'.

I've exited and reloaded the table several times in Popper and the same issue persists.

Anyone else who updated their Nvidia GPU having this issue?!

Really frustrating since now I can't/won't play the table.

1 hour ago, wryker said:

Ok - When I installed this table when it came out it played and displayed fine.

Nvidia updated my GPU and now when I load the game half of the playfield is 'white'.

I've exited and reloaded the table several times in Popper and the same issue persists.

Anyone else who updated their Nvidia GPU having this issue?!

Really frustrating since now I can't/won't play the table.

Working ok for me

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

driver 31.0.15.2802 (12/22/2022)

vpx 10.7.3 x86 final (32 bit)

VPinMAME-sc-3.6-273

Windows 10 22H2 home 64

Desktop mode

14 hours ago, Cliffy said:

Working ok for me

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

driver 31.0.15.2802 (12/22/2022)

vpx 10.7.3 x86 final (32 bit)

VPinMAME-sc-3.6-273

Windows 10 22H2 home 64

Desktop mode

I don't get it. It was working fine last week - now I don't get the images loading for 1/2 the table. :(