Stern Sam - Pinmame Source Code

xmassam

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just compared versions:

the new 1.2 compile performs about the same as the older (non-arngrim) compiles, presumably because they also had SSE2 and other optimizations set to ON.  The older arngrim compiles performed worse.

I (still) have no problems with SAM sound, and Whitestar II sound (LOTR) is running at 95% with an occasional crackle. Maybe the sound in LOTR is always like that,  i read on VPF that the whitestar II sound CPU emulation is incomplete, rough and unoptimized.    Does anyone with an intel beast have 100% consistently correct sounding samples/music on LOTR?? (obviously set to rom emulated sound)

BTW,  all gameplay is supersmooth on all tables.  This on my AMD X2 255 @ 4 cores, 3.2 ghz

You could consider separate AMD / Intel compiles as you could then include sse3/4 in the Intel builds, and maybe also AMD specific stuff in their build.   Dont know if it would help much though, and it would make the download list gigantic.............

• Content Provider

I only got to test Iron Man and POTC shortly yesterday, but using the latest arngrim release (revision 3490 1.2) I still have sound stutter but it is greatly improved over the previous version I was running!  Thank you for the update!  For me, the tables are much more playable now...not that the gameplay itself has changed, as it was only the sound that stuttered.  But at least now, the sound is a little more closely synced to what is occurring on the playfield and I can understand more of the sound and speech.  This gives me hope that my modest cpu may be able to hold up a little longer.

Pentium 4, 3Ghz, Nvidia GT430

I didn't get a chance to check some of the older STERN tables, but I did notice, for example on the latest Ripley's night mod, I had severe sound stutter using a previous SAM compile so I'll need to check with rev 3490 1.2.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Yes i know my name is mentioned, i don't want to change the behaviour of the end button, that's why i advised to ask pinmame team to do this for a new keyboard button to not compromise the end button and people using it that way

• Content Provider

Another thing to take into account is having a microswitch in position ON constantly is sending a repititive signal to the ipac, so not very good, you will have problems more quickly that way with your ipac.

I wil use antropus solution soon

se2eqe3u.jpg

That is working perfectly with the current end button behaviour, and ipac will breathe ;)

And if a table has coin door opened at the start, it means the table init in the script is not complete, the coin door switch to closed needs to be addef

:huh: mmm...  Why do you think it's a problem if IPAC receives a constant signal from a switch? we are talking about a few mA ...

Antropus solution is a workaround... a good workaround, but if the original coin door own the door switch, why don't use it?

I saw another solution with a relay...

This is my original Williams coin door, with the white switch for the control of the closure...

11039029915_9ac563e5dc.jpg

I think that many others like me own a coin door with this switch, it is more convenient to use this instead of trying workarounds, or not?

May be a good idea to use another key, or add an option to decide how to use the END key. It's a #define, so may be simpler to add a key, or make a different vpinmame.dll "cabinet door edition" :D ...

I wrote the patch, and I use it in my cabinet with a recompiled DLL; It works and is very useful.  If you want to add my patch in the official distribution, it's not a problem for me (I only change a lot of #define, I don't write new code) and I can try to help you adding a new key, otherwise I continue to use my DLL.

• Content Provider

No it is not a big issue, the discussion started there

To have two keys, i guess we need more than change in vpinmame.dll, key.vbs or something, that's why i recommend to ask destruk to have that change officially, in all olaces required.

Tell me if you need some help piggei for your build in the meantime

• 3 weeks later...

I'm able to build vpinmame, but where are the latest  sources for the SAM compatible build?  I've seen an older "sam.c" posted, but I assume you need to some additional changes to reference the functions within it.   I see earlier in this thread someone created a GIT repository, but it's empty.  

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, not sure if this is the proper spot for this question but has anyone added support for the new 20th anniversary data east Star Wars rom that was released last year to the pinmame source (located on Sterns website)? I took a look and I don't think I saw it listed in the vpinmame rom listing.

• 2 weeks later...

just compared versions:

the new 1.2 compile performs about the same as the older (non-arngrim) compiles, presumably because they also had SSE2 and other optimizations set to ON.  The older arngrim compiles performed worse.

I (still) have no problems with SAM sound, and Whitestar II sound (LOTR) is running at 95% with an occasional crackle. Maybe the sound in LOTR is always like that,  i read on VPF that the whitestar II sound CPU emulation is incomplete, rough and unoptimized.    Does anyone with an intel beast have 100% consistently correct sounding samples/music on LOTR?? (obviously set to rom emulated sound)

BTW,  all gameplay is supersmooth on all tables.  This on my AMD X2 255 @ 4 cores, 3.2 ghz

You could consider separate AMD / Intel compiles as you could then include sse3/4 in the Intel builds, and maybe also AMD specific stuff in their build.   Dont know if it would help much though, and it would make the download list gigantic.............

Newer AMD chips have SSE3 and SSE4

• Content Provider

I asked toxie if having sse3 or 4 would help and he said not really:

http://vpforums.org/index.php?/topic/26743-VPinmame-to-dx9?

You can always reply back there, but o my builds i put pieces together, and some tiny tweaks, i am unable to do big changes like sse2+.

For lotr, use the non rom sounds that can be enabled on the script, and rom sounds can be disabled there also.

• Content Provider

nba is being worked on when i get time. the rest need major changes to bring them up to the standard i think they need to be.

NBA will be the first when its done.

all that is mainly left is some scripting of the primitive upright targets and find a way to make the gi on the basketball toy fit in with the rest of the table. the basketball toy is also one huge flasher.

here is a little tease of where the table is up to

oooPLAYER1ooo

nba_wip_zpse38bbe26.jpg

Archived