Pin2Dmd Colorprism V4.0 Firmware

lucky1

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, DJMRSL said:

Hi @Lucky1  Tested the new dll from Github. It worked perfectly fine for Dracula, but STTNG still crashes fairly quickly after launching the table. 

I checked your dumps and it seems that it crashes at the very first keyframe.

Please check wether your colorization files are o.k. 

1 hour ago, lucky1 said:

I checked your dumps and it seems that it crashes at the very first keyframe.

Please check wether your colorization files are o.k. 

Thanks... 

Interestingly... I downloaded the same files again from here and it works without hiccups now... 

Seems like it was indeed a corrupt file. 

Problem solved... (again) 

The cab keeps on looking better and better with the beautifully colored DMD

Cheers... 

12 hours ago, lucky1 said:

I could reproduce the problem using your dumps ! Thanks !
New dll version is on my github.

Thanks Lucky1!  I can confirm this fixed the issue!  Works and looks great now!  I appreciate the quick turn around.

Downloaded the latest firmware (4.14) and wanted to report 2 issues:

1.) Dracula is crashing again.  This time it will crash anywhere from immediately on boot into the game to the same point as previous where it transitions to the score after ball launch.  If I revert to the dmddevice.dll driver from 4.12 it works fine.

2.) The Pirates of the Caribbean 64 color version seems to have improper colors in many scenes with anything after firmware/dmddevice.dll 4.10.  If I use 4.10 they looks great.  I have attached a couple of screen grabs to show some of the issue.  I didn't do a pinmame dump, but can do one if it will help. 

IMG_0332 (1).jpeg

IMG_0333 (1).jpeg

• Content Provider
6 hours ago, movieguy said:

Downloaded the latest firmware (4.14) and wanted to report 2 issues:

1.) Dracula is crashing again.  This time it will crash anywhere from immediately on boot into the game to the same point as previous where it transitions to the score after ball launch.  If I revert to the dmddevice.dll driver from 4.12 it works fine.

2.) The Pirates of the Caribbean 64 color version seems to have improper colors in many scenes with anything after firmware/dmddevice.dll 4.10.  If I use 4.10 they looks great.  I have attached a couple of screen grabs to show some of the issue.  I didn't do a pinmame dump, but can do one if it will help. 

IMG_0332 (1).jpeg

IMG_0333 (1).jpeg

I updated the dmddevice.dll . Please test together with V4.14

• Content Provider
6 hours ago, goredaimon said:

I'm trying to update mine to 4.16 version using the sd card. Red light starts flashing and don't stop. Also, update don't work. Any ideas?

Red light flashing means firmware is corrupt. You can try to download the firmware update file again, copy it to the SD and rename to update.bin. The loader should retry automatically. If that does not work, please read on pin2dmd.com how to update the firmware alternatively.

5 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Red light flashing means firmware is corrupt. You can try to download the firmware update file again, copy it to the SD and rename to update.bin. The loader should retry automatically. If that does not work, please read on pin2dmd.com how to update the firmware alternatively.

Thank you for the information!

• 2 weeks later...

@Lucky1 this has got to be the dumbest question ever.. but in which folders are the integration files supposed to go? 

Here's why I ask;

I have created a fresh new Windows disk and am in the process of redoing my SW due to some performance issues. While I was doing that I came across the following. When I open setup in the vPinMAME folder  for ROM testing it uses dmddevice.dll from that folder... but apparently VPX wants dmddevice.dll in the visual pinball folder when starting a table... is this how you'd recommend it?

I am confused because I don't think it worked like that with earlier installs. 

NB, I have used the VPX 10.6 AIO installer, selected PIN2DMD as DMD option, copied VPX 10.7 rc270 over it, and your dll.... I also copied the SAMbuild pinmame dll to th vPinMAME folder

Thanks

• Content Provider
59 minutes ago, DJMRSL said:

@Lucky1 this has got to be the dumbest question ever.. but in which folders are the integration files supposed to go? 

Here's why I ask;

I have created a fresh new Windows disk and am in the process of redoing my SW due to some performance issues. While I was doing that I came across the following. When I open setup in the vPinMAME folder  for ROM testing it uses dmddevice.dll from that folder... but apparently VPX wants dmddevice.dll in the visual pinball folder when starting a table... is this how you'd recommend it?

I am confused because I don't think it worked like that with earlier installs. 

NB, I have used the VPX 10.6 AIO installer, selected PIN2DMD as DMD option, copied VPX 10.7 rc270 over it, and your dll.... I also copied the SAMbuild pinmame dll to th vPinMAME folder

Thanks

This is not really a firmware specific question. This is a VP setup question. Please open a new thread for this.

In my install the dmddevice.dll ist located next to the vpinmame.dll

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, sprudeldudel said:

I noticed unexpected behavior of my pin2dmd Evo with firmware 4.16.

Currently i am working in a colorization for the getaway. I noticed that my replacement scenes for some if the drivebys run much slower than the original.

In the kickback scene the car usually only makes it about half way before the next scene begins. This forced me to set a lot of triggers in the middle of the scene in order to make it keep the pace.

I did not mess with the timings.

Did anyone else notice this behavior? 

The playback speed is controlled by the delay times of each frame. Check the delays of the scene against the delays of the recording. Furthermore if the dumps are made from a vpin setup, the delays depend on the performance of the PC the emulation was running on. 

• Content Provider
7 hours ago, sprudeldudel said:

Either way, it is necessary to apply additional triggers, to make it right.

That is what replace sequence is meant for. You have to assign a hash to each frame within the scene and it will be framesync.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider
4 minutes ago, sprudeldudel said:

Is there any way you are aware of to convert *.ani files into *.TXT or export a scene into *.TXT?

No !

5 minutes ago, sprudeldudel said:

So if I could convert an exported scene from *.ani back to *.txt, I could first assemble a small but meaningsful scene with all the positions I can find and then "fabricate" the one or two missing ones", export to TXT and then import it as a recording and use it to trigger events.

In LCM mode the hashes are calculated from the scene frame and not the recording.

See https://pin2dmd.com/chapter-8-advanced-coloring-using-colormask-layered-mode/

Recordings are only needed for global keyframes for e.g. to start the video mode scene.

• Content Provider

Thank you! This is incredible. So that means, I can actually manually create (draw) the missing frames (which I can't find in the recordings, but know exactly what they need to look like - like a missing position of an apporaching car in getaway) and then trigger off that within the LCM mode?

No , because in LCM the frame coming from the recording can´t be modified. You need to collect all frames with different positions of all objects.

Quick question for LCM performance:

In order to manage the limited amount of masks within LCM, I would write a dedicated LCM scene for every position of the players car (so 45 of them). In each of these there is less dynamics (road doesn't move, car intereference is limited, etc.) and I need less masks.

However, this means that as soon as the player moves the car a different LCM scene (with al the stuff in it) will be triggered, which would immediately need to recognize and trigger all the objects with in it. As the car moves it would be going through these different LCM scenes very fast. Do you see a performance or reliability issue here?

That is aslo not working because only one scene can be active at one time.

You should really reread the explanation at pin2dmd.com.

P.S. Since this it not really a issue of firmware 4.x you are asking your question in the wrong thread. As a reference for other people you should open a new thread for questions like that.

• Content Provider
43 minutes ago, sprudeldudel said:

That this is true you can see in the fact that there is in fact no colored video mode for getaway. 

The reason for that is that LCM was not existing when Malenko started his Getaway project and nobody took the time to do it when LCM was introduced. I used the videomode as a proof of concept for LCM and don´t see any reason why it should not work when you have the color priority in mind and it is done right. The priority is that color group 4 overwrites, color group 1,2 and 3. If areas of color group 2 and 3 overlap, the overlapping area will use color group 4. Long story short always use the lowest color group for background and the color which should oevrwrite most of the content as highest color group.

46 minutes ago, sprudeldudel said:

Scenes coming from the recording can be modified if you temporarily change them to a "replace"-scene.

That is true, but the hashes needed for LCM will most likely not work then if you are waiting for a scene sent from the machine which you created yourself.

47 minutes ago, sprudeldudel said:

Regarding my approach working or not - I will say so much: Currently I am driving a red car through the video mode. :)

Me too and additionally sometimes a yellow car is approaching. But only sometimes because I did not catch all positions of the approaching cars due to the lack of time.

On 3/29/2021 at 4:08 PM, lucky1 said:

New version of the editor with linked frame from recording referenced individually is up. This is useful when frames are put together from different recordings for LRM scenes (layered replacement) or replace sequence or frames beeing deleted in the middle of the scene which made the linked recording frames beeing out of sync to the scene frames. The ani file needed to be modified which will lead to a message when a existing project is saved.

@lucky1,I finally had some time to go back and revisit this.  Maybe I don't understand how this works, but it seems like nothing has changed.  When I put frames together from different recordings for the purpose of making a Replace Sequence, the hashes always are out of sync with the frames, and I could conceivably have to single step thru hundreds or even thousands of frames to link the frame to the correct hash.  Let me ask you this - would it be possible to make it so the user could just type in the 8-digit hash number?  Seems to me like it would save a lot of time and frustration.

I tried using LCM today on my Batman Forever rooftop scene. I couldn’t figure out how to trigger the background with one trigger since it constantly changes. There are hundreds if not more of scenes when you multiply all frames times three car positions. Then you have three positions with the car crashing. Then more positions if the car strikes a 10 mil sign. I gave up :(

• Content Provider
10 hours ago, sudsy7 said:

When I put frames together from different recordings for the purpose of making a Replace Sequence

The replace sequence mode it meant for scenes with frames coming "in sequence" from the machine. Why do you need to put them together from different recordings ?

10 hours ago, sudsy7 said:

When I put frames together from different recordings for the purpose of making a Replace Sequence, the hashes always are out of sync with the frames, and I could conceivably have to single step thru hundreds or even thousands of frames to link the frame to the correct hash.

In the latest version every single frame in a scene should have a reference to the frame in the recording it is taken from. I just checked this by using the Add2SCENE button and taking frames from different recordings and it worked as far as I can see.  Seems you are doing something different

4 hours ago, lucky1 said:

The replace sequence mode it meant for scenes with frames coming "in sequence" from the machine. Why do you need to put them together from different recordings ?

This is a scene that has the same starting frame and the same ending frame, but it has many (about 60) intermediate frames in between (of which about 20 are used), and each time it is played it uses different frames (at random) to get from the opening scene to the closing scene. That is why it takes many scenes to capture all the frames, some of which are in different recordings.  It seems like a perfect application of the Replace Sequence mode to me.

4 hours ago, lucky1 said:

In the latest version every single frame in a scene should have a reference to the frame in the recording it is taken from. I just checked this by using the Add2SCENE button and taking frames from different recordings and it worked as far as I can see.  Seems you are doing something different

I hadn't tried the Add2SCENE button for this.  I have used it for LCM and it works fine for that.   The way I was doing this was cutting frames (which by default are cut as ColorMask scenes), then, coloring them, then appending them together using Frame+, copy, and replace.  Then finally just converting the scene to Replace Sequence, and then that is where the frames and hash were not in sync.  So, now let me try the Add2SCENE method of building up the Replace Sequence scene - thanks for the advice.

• Content Provider
11 hours ago, sudsy7 said:

then appending them together using Frame+, copy, and replace

I think this method only copies the content of the frame and not the reference to the recording.