Pin2Dmd Colorprism V4.0 Firmware

lucky1

If you're using lucky ones dll file with .vni and .pal files the 64 bit looks good on your pin2DMD?

If you are trying to do the same thing with the same files on an LCD
I don't believe freezy can handle a 64 color but it should at least show Show up but the colors will not be right

No, I'm using the PIN2DMD on a real pinball machine with .fsq and .pal files (no dll file required for that).  Lucky1's dll will work with a PIN2DMD I'm sure, but it won't work on a monitor output.  You are right that the freezy dll will display a DMD on a monitor but the colors are all wonky.  Hopefully, someday it will be updated for 64-color usage.

• 5 weeks later...

I have installed firmware 4.10 on my Pin2DMD that is in my VPin.

So far everything is OK.

Only the colored Romfiles no longer work (everything is dark).

If I turn off the coloring, it works.

Did I forgot something? Or is that a bug in the firmware?

I have installed firmware 4.10 on my Pin2DMD that is in my VPin.

So far everything is OK.

Only the colored Romfiles no longer work (everything is dark).

If I turn off the coloring, it works.

Did I forgot something? Or is that a bug in the firmware?

On 6/9/2021 at 7:18 PM, outhere said:

Thanks.  I am using the 1.9 beta today...

Update, just installed the latest 1.9 release version (link you shared) and I have the same issue. 

When I run the GB table with FW 3.20 on the Pin2DMD and Freezy 1.9, the table runs fine and the DMD shows all content. 

After I update to FW4.10, using the 32it tool, (reset the DMD, uploading the pin2dmd.upd file through the tool, reset DMD again) the GB table starts but only displays a few white dots around the 6th line down... it also locks up, and the only way to get it to work again is by disconnecting it from power and reconnecting it.

When I then revert back to 3.20 with the same update method, the problem is gone. 

Thanks

@lucky1, is there any chance that the firmware can be programmed to ignore the name of the .fsq and .pal files that are on the memory card? Some of the authors use the name of the game and a version number as the name of the files. We are all aware that the files need to be renamed pin2dmd.xxx for them to work but on the odd occasion, people forget to do this. And this would help when an author releases a new set of files and you want to compare them to what you have installed.

I realize these are minor gripes but if the extensions are correct on the files, wouldn't that be sufficient? I've resorted to creating an empty folder on the memory card and naming it with the pin name along with a version number if the author has provided one but I think the firmware ignoring the name would be better.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but I don't recall seeing anything about it. My apologies if it has.

Thanks,

Dino Z.

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, dzorbas said:

@lucky1, is there any chance that the firmware can be programmed to ignore the name of the .fsq and .pal files that are on the memory card? Some of the authors use the name of the game and a version number as the name of the files. We are all aware that the files need to be renamed pin2dmd.xxx for them to work but on the odd occasion, people forget to do this. And this would help when an author releases a new set of files and you want to compare them to what you have installed.

I realize these are minor gripes but if the extensions are correct on the files, wouldn't that be sufficient? I've resorted to creating an empty folder on the memory card and naming it with the pin name along with a version number if the author has provided one but I think the firmware ignoring the name would be better.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but I don't recall seeing anything about it. My apologies if it has.

Thanks,

Dino Z.

To make it short from the technical side, if you find some code sample that does what you want for e.g Arduino , Teensy etc. I can add it to my code. So far the SD library only supports very basic commands.

But I think that will also not prevent the user errors you describe. The next problem is that the library only support 8+3 filenames. So the next problem I see that users use filenames which don´t respect that limitation which leads to the next and almost the same problem.

Lucky1, how about create a catalog file? You'll be able to put any 8.3 filename at the sd card but the catalog file will select the correct one to be loaded by pin2dmd.

Also, a file browser to search the files and save the one to the catalog should be a great idea. With that we'll be able to switch to another version file or color squema easily.

• Content Provider
8 hours ago, goredaimon said:

Lucky1, how about create a catalog file? You'll be able to put any 8.3 filename at the sd card but the catalog file will select the correct one to be loaded by pin2dmd.

Also, a file browser to search the files and save the one to the catalog should be a great idea. With that we'll be able to switch to another version file or color squema easily.

Any usable code you can provide for this idea ?

I'll check it. I'm a pinball hobbist and did some pin evo boards for my real games and don't have the development board.

I'm an IT analist since 2006 and I work with a lot of languages, I think I can help you with the project.

Is it possible do use some kind of software development kit and compile directly to use with the evo board or I need to buy a development kit from ST?

Thanks!

On 6/11/2021 at 9:25 AM, DJMRSL said:

Thanks.  I am using the 1.9 beta today...

Update, just installed the latest 1.9 release version (link you shared) and I have the same issue. 

When I run the GB table with FW 3.20 on the Pin2DMD and Freezy 1.9, the table runs fine and the DMD shows all content. 

After I update to FW4.10, using the 32it tool, (reset the DMD, uploading the pin2dmd.upd file through the tool, reset DMD again) the GB table starts but only displays a few white dots around the 6th line down... it also locks up, and the only way to get it to work again is by disconnecting it from power and reconnecting it.

When I then revert back to 3.20 with the same update method, the problem is gone. 

Thanks

@outhere @lucky1 or anyone else.... Am I the only one who sees this issue and is the cause me doing something wrong? or is this a know limitation with the vPinSPA table?

Thanks

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, DJMRSL said:

@outhere @lucky1 or anyone else.... Am I the only one who sees this issue and is the cause me doing something wrong? or is this a know limitation with the vPinSPA table?

Thanks

I don´t give support for Freezy but did you try using my DLL from github ?

• Content Provider
7 hours ago, outhere said:

After updating the firmware to 4.10 the GB game shows nothing on the DMD no matter which Dll file I use (Luck1 or Freezy)
This is my Hardware - https://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/3677-pin2dmd-displays-and-some-parts-for-sale/
Using this driver

Pin2dmd-Zagdig.jpg

That is strange because I just tested vpinSPA yesterday and it works with freezy 1.8 and my DLL. Do you have any colorization active ?

After re-booting again and turning the power off to the pin2DMD and back on your Dll file works fine with color and without
With freezy the Dll file from 1.71 used to work perfectly with color it on longer does

With freezy 1.8 it does a lot of flickering.. Lot of people have had that problem whether LCD or the pin2

With the newer freezy if I use color I'm dead in the water As far is the pin2

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, outhere said:

After re-booting again and turning the power off to the pin2DMD and back on your Dll file works fine with color and without
With freezy the Dll file from 1.71 used to work perfectly with color it on longer does

With freezy 1.8 it does a lot of flickering.. Lot of people have had that problem whether LCD or the pin2

You can try setting pal storage to RAM in the onscreen menu to test if it then works with later freezy versions.

• Content Provider
On 6/26/2021 at 8:54 PM, outhere said:

I could identify the problem and it can be fixed by adding the changes DJRobX made here in april 2020, which unfortunatelly did not make it into the current freezy code.

https://github.com/djrobx/dmd-extensions/blob/nopreloadpin2dmd/LibDmd/Output/Pin2Dmd/Pin2Dmd.cs

I attached a test build 

dmdext-1.9.0-PRELOAD-FIX-x86-Release.zip

On 6/26/2021 at 10:16 AM, lucky1 said:

That is strange because I just tested vpinSPA yesterday and it works with freezy 1.8 and my DLL. Do you have any colorization active ?

@lucky1 Thanks for the response, yes I have the DMD running in green tones through colorization. I'll see what happens when I switch it off... 

On 6/25/2021 at 10:10 AM, lucky1 said:

I don´t give support for Freezy but did you try using my DLL from github ?

@lucky1 I will try that too... the funny thing is... The DMD works with FW 3.20 and the freeze dll, but it 'freez(y)es' after upgrading to FW 4.10 

• Content Provider
33 minutes ago, DJMRSL said:

@lucky1 I will try that too... the funny thing is... The DMD works with FW 3.20 and the freeze dll, but it 'freez(y)es' after upgrading to FW 4.10 

Nothing funny about that.

A lot of changes were necessary to implement 64 colors in FW4.x  which were already prepared in 3.20. The problem is that freezy still used the palette loading protocol from version 2.x which is still working with 3.x but not with 4.x due to 64 colors support.

5 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Nothing funny about that.

A lot of changes were necessary to implement 64 colors in FW4.x  which were already prepared in 3.20. The problem is that freezy still used the palette loading protocol from version 2.x which is still working with 3.x but not with 4.x due to 64 colors support.

Thanks! I think I figured out how to get everything to work... just don't altcolor files for the table... then it behaves as expected.

the PIN2DMD even crashed when I used your dmddevice.dll and enabled the altcolor file...  will test a bit more and report what I find