New Stuff Coming Soon!

zebulon

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll look into it tomorrow then.

Sounds like the unit isn't resetting on power down. Make sure it's not in a usb 3 port.

Try resetting the calibration to defaults and try it without using the windows calibration. If you unplug the unit and plug it back in it should automatically center the crosshairs, when you cold boot it does the same thing.

When my cab is off everything is "off" with a switch like real machine no power to anything. I tried USB 2.0 port and 3.0 port same result. Tried defaults and same result. Can't reach "reset" on pcb. On reboot crosshairs are not centered only after calibration

I'll try to duplicate the issue this afternoon at the shop.

Without using the calibration in the joystick properties the unit should automatically center the crosshairs when you unplug it and plug it in, regardless of the position that you are holding it in.

That's apples and oranges. What Paul's unit does is irrelevant to this plunger as there isn't anything in this unit that is used in a virtuapin plunger. Sounds to me like the reference voltage connection on the board has come loose and you are getting voltage drift.

Open the case on the sensor unit (2 screws on the backside) and let me know if the wire is still connected to the end of the smd capacitor on the board.

Have you got a second computer with the arduino ide installed on it? Later today I'll send you a file that has the external AREF disbled in it and get you to install it on your unit and see if it makes a difference.

Yeah, pretty sure that's the issue. Looks like you got one with a cold solder joint or something on that line. The only way I could duplicate an issue like that today was by removing the reference line. I sent you a file to try, but I'm willing to bet that we'll have to exchange that sensor.

While I'm at it, remember that this is a beta test guys. If you have any issues can you please include a brief description of your system (operating system, version of vp, any specific tweaks that you may be using, etc) along with your bug report.  I've got a thread open on my site....http://www.zebsboards.com/index.php/forum/up/70-plunger-beta-test-reports#225 for submissions so that I can correlate the issues a bit easier and get an idea of general trends in performance for future fixes.

As well, any files that I send out for trial are to be kept confidential if you don't mind.

Thanks for your support in this.

• Administrators

I'm not reporting any problems as of yet. I installed it last night and calibrated via windows. I was just wondering what nudge settings you are using in VP for this. I know that driver didn't install on mine either, but i haven't done any cold boots since installing it. I should have more time to test this evening.

Calibration shouldn't be necessary as the unit should center the crosshairs out of the box, just plug it in and away you go.

As I don't have a cab, all of my testing was done using desktop versions at the default settings in VP. One of the primary goals of the beta test is to verify that I have the auto centering routine right and to find out what the nudge sensitivity in a cab setting is like at the current default setting. There's plenty of room to increase or decrease the sensitivity from where I have it set on the firmware side, but I don't have a real world way to test it myself.

Currently I have the sensitivity set to approximate a real machine, meaning that it takes a fairly healthy nudge to get a response from the unit.

The missing driver is the inf file included in the driver package posted above. It is only for the serial comms for the sensor and doesn't affect the performance of the unit. It's been left in until I know that the code is working fully and will eventually be stripped from the firmware. You can install it to get rid of the exclamation mark if you like.

Remember that nudge settings are affected by cabinet type. For example I have an Atari based wide body and I assure you with the legs it has and the build/weight and size difference, the vp nudge settings are different from other cabs/setups. I assume though if you both have Williams type wide body's it's probably similar. Just something to keep in mind when comparing nudge settings.

I turned off the external voltage referencing for the accelerometer (the red wire I had you check).  I'm assuming that there is a cold solder joint on that line as it obviously wasn't passing the voltage needed to complete the circuit to the x and y axis inputs.

The only difference is that the accelerometer in that unit is now using a 5v reference instead of a 3.3v. From my testing it makes for about a  0.5 - 1% difference in the sensitivity of the unit, only noticeable in actual decimal readings from the sensor.

• Administrators

Remember that nudge settings are affected by cabinet type. For example I have an Atari based wide body and I assure you with the legs it has and the build/weight and size difference, the vp nudge settings are different from other cabs/setups. I assume though if you both have Williams type wide body's it's probably similar. Just something to keep in mind when comparing nudge settings.

I know, but having a baseline is nice.

BTW - With default VP nudge settings in Physmod5... when my shaker goes off the balls are crazy.

Archived