• Content Provider

Circus (Gottlieb 1980) w VR Room

ArmyAviation reached out to me to finish a table he'd been working on. He spent lots of time on getting a good playfield created and also placed all the table elements.  He also did the plastics (with resources from Stagio and Sckurk).  And he used the primitives and roto scripting from Borgdog.  He also started on the implementation of the VPW physics and sounds.

Since taking the table over, I did a lot of mods... (all documented in the script). I updated to latest VPW physics scripts and flipper ball collisions, GI and playfield shadow baking, Lampz and 3D inserts, dynamic shadows, drop target shadows, changed to a gBOT (global ball on table) system, updated backglass for desktop, a playfield mesh for a saucer bevel, roth drop and standup targets, standalone compatibility, sling corrections, optional DIP adjustments, updated flipper physics, roto lighting, VR and fully hybrid modes, Flupper style bumpers and lighting, drop target shadows, and several errors corrected.  Full details are at the bottom of the table's script. Redbone further upscaled the playfield.  I also added options for balls, ball brightness, LUTs, Dip settings, and VR stuff.

I've also included Hauntfreaks updated backglass image from Wildman in the VR backglass... look for his updated backglass here:

I've included an option for two ROMS.  The original 6 digit ROM, and a 7 digit ROM (so when you score over a million you can see it).  There's an option in the script to change that, however I've defaulted to the 7 digit.  Make sure to grab the correct backglass if you are in a cab environment.

Also, I've included the nvram files to initially set the Dips, as the ROM creates settings that aren't wanted.  You can either grab those nvram files and put them in your nvram directory, or follow this process to do an initial setup for yourself.  (Open the table, and in the script, change, change SetDIPSwitches to 1, and then when you open the table, hit F6 (that'll load the default DIPS and display them). Then exit out, and set the SetDIPSwitches back to zero. That will set the ROM settings.  If you later want to change that, you can turn it back on and change the dips.)

Thanks to apophis, bord, and pinstratsdan for feedback and testing, as well as the VPW team for additional testing.

• Content Provider

6 hours ago, GordonJames said:

Thanks for sharing this with us! It's a great looking table.

Just playing now and I'm having an issue with the electronic sounds.

How can I turn down them down? They are piercing and increasing all the mech sounds to their max didn't balance them out.

Thank you.

Have you tried the Tilde key method?

You need to click on the PinMAME window with mouse pointer, and hit the Tilde key.  ~ The key to the left of the 1 key at top left of keyboard.

This will bring up volume settings that can be toggled with the Arrow keys.

Pressing the Right Arrow key, turns the volume up. Pressing the Left Arrow key, lowers the volume.

You can press the Down Arrow key to find more Volume options.

When you are finished with your adjustments, hit the Tilde key.

Edited by xenonph

Right, I seem to remember you telling me about this a few months ago. I just used f12 to alter it after since it was too difficult to do and it seemed to have no effect. The devs have given F12 during game play another function. How do i find the pinmame window? it's something i need to click when the table is in play? Or paused? Or when the table is loaded into the editor and not playing or maybe when the table is loading? I've tried clicking an hitting the tilde key during all of the above with no visible mame settings appearing.

Edited by GordonJames

On this one it's best to use vpinmame setup.exe. Run that, click test, find Circus or Circus7, click it and then game options. Check show dmd display window, ok, start rom. Now click on the little dmd window and hit your ~ tilde key.  when done don't forget to go back to game options and uncheck showdmd display window.

• Content Provider
9 hours ago, robertms said:

@UnclePaulie the bumpers are not triggering DOF solenoids. Do you have a way to double check (not sure if you have access to a full DOF setup)?

I do not.  I believe it has to be done in the DOF config tool.  I saw this issue early on, and with all the versions that are out there.   I DO have DOF calls in the script, btw.  I'm not sure how or who to go to for a global update for DOF on circus.

16 hours ago, robertms said:

@UnclePaulie the bumpers are not triggering DOF solenoids. Do you have a way to double check (not sure if you have access to a full DOF setup)?

7 hours ago, UnclePaulie said:

I do not.  I believe it has to be done in the DOF config tool.  I saw this issue early on, and with all the versions that are out there.   I DO have DOF calls in the script, btw.  I'm not sure how or who to go to for a global update for DOF on circus.

Perhaps @outhere could help with the global DOF config update?

On 11/27/2023 at 8:54 AM, Cliffy said:

On this one it's best to use vpinmame setup.exe. Run that, click test, find Circus or Circus7, click it and then game options. Check show dmd display window, ok, start rom. Now click on the little dmd window and hit your ~ tilde key.  when done don't forget to go back to game options and uncheck showdmd display window.

I've gone through this procedure about 10 times now and the volume setting is never saved. What do i need to do after i have adjusted the volume slider to only the halfway mark? I have been clicking out, pressing ok where applicable and even pressing F3. Nothing is working and the volume adjustment never saves as i go back into those settings after i have clicked out of everything and it's cranked to 100% again and the electronic sounds are as loud as before. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, GordonJames said:

I've gone through this procedure about 10 times now and the volume setting is never saved. What do i need to do after i have adjusted the volume slider to only the halfway mark? I have been clicking out, pressing ok where applicable and even pressing F3. Nothing is working and the volume adjustment never saves as i go back into those settings after i have clicked out of everything and it's cranked to 100% again and the electronic sounds are as loud as before. Thanks.

hit the tilde key when done to save it to the nvram. delete existing nvram first, perhaps

10 minutes ago, Cliffy said:

hit the tilde key when done to save it to the nvram. delete existing nvram first, perhaps

Thanks for your help. This process isn't working on my end no matter what i do. I'm done trying. Another table with those particular irritating sounds to avoid I guess. It was so much easier to change the volume before they deleted the settings in F12.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2023 at 5:45 PM, bha191 said:

I get error line 279 disablestaticprerendering

I had the same error.  Just ended up commenting out line 392 and now loads fine.  Looks like it has something to do with a VR room, which I'm not using.   

'    SetRoomBrightness LightLevel/100, LightLevelVR/100