New version: dmd-extensions with pin2dmd coloring plugin and pac file support !

lucky1

I updated to the latest version, Street Fighter ll keeps crashing right after loading - anyone else having this problem?

crash.txt

EDIT Am having the same problem with cueball wizard and stargate as well. I put the prior dmddevice file in and the tables work, so it has to be something with the new dmddevice, perhaps a setting?

Edited by apinbalwiz

13 hours ago, apinbalwiz said:

I updated to the latest version, Street Fighter ll keeps crashing right after loading - anyone else having this problem?

EDIT Am having the same problem with cueball wizard and stargate as well. I put the prior dmddevice file in and the tables work, so it has to be something with the new dmddevice, perhaps a setting?

Also, @Cliffyand @nagaidevil - same thing here, sadly.  I'm also having the same problem with World Challenge Soccer, too.  These are all Gottlieb System 3 games, in the 1993-1996 vintage, so that is probably a clue as to where the problem lies - something specific with altcolor file support on Gottlieb System 3 emulation games.  Notably, these seem to all be .pal/.vni format files, not .pac or one the newer colorization file formats.

For a workaround, I also have had to turn off external .DLL support for those particular games for now.  That can be done via F1 and turn off external .DLL support, or some have suggested renaming or removing the altcolor files, which should accomplish the same thing.  So no color  on system 3 files until fixed.  :(

2 hours ago, MisterTransistor said:

Also, @Cliffyand @nagaidevil - same thing here, sadly.  I'm also having the same problem with World Challenge Soccer, too.  These are all Gottlieb System 3 games, in the 1993-1996 vintage, so that is probably a clue as to where the problem lies - something specific with altcolor file support on Gottlieb System 3 emulation games.  Notably, these seem to all be .pal/.vni format files, not .pac or one the newer colorization file formats.

For a workaround, I also have had to turn off external .DLL support for those particular games for now.  That can be done via F1 and turn off external .DLL support, or some have suggested renaming or removing the altcolor files, which should accomplish the same thing.  So no color  on system 3 files until fixed.  :(

@apinbalwiz and @MisterTransistor I just ran the gottlieb systems 3's and all played a full game perfectly. These are serum .cRZ colorizations and all serums have worked flawlessly.  Crash.txt doesn't really tell us anything I'm afraid. The dmddevice.log in the vpinball folder is more useful.  Since you guys are crashing on serum games I would first check if there are any serum.dll's floating around, especially in the vpinmame folder. They MUST be deleted. Also rename or remove any pin2color.dll's. Street Fighter 2 has color problems but not crashing with freezys latest dll's. 

4 hours ago, Cliffy said:

@apinbalwiz and @MisterTransistor I just ran the gottlieb systems 3's and all played a full game perfectly. These are serum .cRZ colorizations and all serums have worked flawlessly.  Crash.txt doesn't really tell us anything I'm afraid. The dmddevice.log in the vpinball folder is more useful.  Since you guys are crashing on serum games I would first check if there are any serum.dll's floating around, especially in the vpinmame folder. They MUST be deleted. Also rename or remove any pin2color.dll's. Street Fighter 2 has color problems but not crashing with freezys latest dll's. 

Thank you Cliffy - by removing the pin2color.dll and pincolor64.dll Street Fighter is working. Does this mean that these dlls are no longer needed?

Also in an earlier post by Pinbabilly he suggested to add the following to the dmdDevice

; put your plugins here, up to 10 plugins can be defined.

; since they are native plugins, you need to define them

; for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

plugin.0.path = pin2color.dll

plugin.0.path64 = pin2color64.dll

plugin.0.passthrough = false

This was added to the new dmdDevice on Luckyl's latest release, but on the last line Luckyl has the statement as true and not false - would that make a difference with anything?

1 minute ago, apinbalwiz said:

Thank you Cliffy - by removing the pin2color.dll and pincolor64.dll Street Fighter is working. Does this mean that these dlls are no longer needed?

Also in an earlier post by Pinbabilly he suggested to add the following to the dmdDevice

This was added to the new dmdDevice on Luckyl's latest release, but on the last line Luckyl has the statement as true and not false - would that make a difference with anything?

thats correct, same as in my .ini

On 8/14/2023 at 11:16 PM, Pinbabilly said:

Hi, check your dmddevice.ini, and add these lines, this fixed it for me.

I've been trying to solve this same problem with pacs.  Where in the DMDDevice.ini file do you add these lines?  Thanks so much for your help!

10 minutes ago, NixArcade said:

I've been trying to solve this same problem with pacs.  Where in the DMDDevice.ini file do you add these lines?  Thanks so much for your help!

If you download the latest files on page 1 the dmdDevice has these lines in it. You just need to change the last line from True to False.

3 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Lucky1 you are the Fn man! Everything works great even the new alpha colors and no crazy codes lol

I hate the way things went down and I do see both sides point and respect your decisions.

Just know that I appreciate what you and everyone else in this hobby has done.

So again thank you so much from me personally!

My serum had stopped working somehow with freezy so changed back once again to lucky1 and everything seems to be working well.

smb3 is still very wonky though. lots of flickering, sometimes dmd will go out completely then come back on when an event occurs. If we could get this fixed it would be nice.

• Content Provider
On 8/27/2023 at 5:30 AM, lucky1 said:

Thanks so much for this! Really improved the color issue. I also noticed the issues on SMB like @nagaidevil said. MM is perfect now! 

Hello, I am using FW ver 4.51 for my pin2dmd, And the latest .dll file on the page 1 will crash vpinmame. I can start a rom up but upon closing it out will crash pinmame. I had to revert to and earlier dll from 3/2/23 to resolve this issue. This crash happens with the latest release and the release from 8/11/23. Anyone else with a Pin2dmd can confirm this? never had this issue before

Thank you 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider
4 hours ago, naeromagus said:

Still no luck. Might have to try freezy on this.

@trino7 you get this working with your pin2dmd. Strange never had any issue with it force closing pinmame. Until recently am still using the .dll from March 

I have zero problems starting and stopping a table rom in pinmame setup.exe with the current version. If it is working there it is most likely NOT a problem of pin2dmd but maybe of VPX. Could you please try setup.exe from pinmame and report your results. To fix something I need it to be reproducable and currently I can´t reproduce your problem.

Edited by lucky1

Hi, I'm very happy to finally have color for the game that we can't speak of.  I've transferred the necessary files from the x86 package to the VPinSPA folder and that did the trick with the pac file that I use.

I do have one issue though when I try to exit the game .. It just hangs for 30 seconds before closing. I never had that problem before, and I've traced it to the dmddevice.dll file. Has anyone encountered the same issue, or even better has a fix for that ? 

I've tested it with VPinSPA only and get the same result .. hangs for 30 seconds then it closes.

I did the same test with Vpimame after putting the necessary files in that folder and got the same result  .. hangs for 30 seconds before closing , so the issue is not due to VpinSPA either.

Edited by puerto