New version: dmd-extensions with pin2dmd coloring plugin and pac file support !

lucky1

Hi,

I'm a bit confused now. I want, if possible, one solution where all the colorizations just work. Crz, Pac, Pal/vni all these formats.

When i install one solution the pac files don't work and another solution the crz don't work.

So, can someone give me a link to one dll that works with all the formats and just be done with it and just works ?

Thank you.

reggert32

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2023 at 7:22 AM, reggert32 said:

Hi,

I'm a bit confused now. I want, if possible, one solution where all the colorizations just work. Crz, Pac, Pal/vni all these formats.

When i install one solution the pac files don't work and another solution the crz don't work.

So, can someone give me a link to one dll that works with all the formats and just be done with it and just works ?

Thank you.

reggert32

Were you able to get both Crz and Pac files to work? I have tried time and time and no go. Thx

On 11/24/2023 at 8:28 PM, stargate66 said:

Were you able to get both Crz and Pac files to work? I have tried time and time and no go. Thx

works if you use the dll from this topic and if im not mistaken for serum you'll also need the matching dll and the files have to be named acording to the used rom.

On 2/21/2023 at 7:58 AM, Rickmc said:

Hi Lucky1,

Turns out that I missed the last update of your dll and when I copied the latest into vpinmame, the problem went away so it's a problem you already solved.

Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Playboys rom - playboy pup pack.  Triggers stopped working with lucky's dll.  If I switch back to Freezy dll, the pup pack triggers work fine.

This is in the puplog.txt when lucky1 dll is in place and I run the playboy (stern 2002) vpx file.

20230220 18:39:17 Open called
20230220 18:39:17 Set Game Name thread playboys
20230220 18:39:17 Start Thread Matching
20230220 18:39:17 create PuPCap
20230220 18:39:17 Init Game name:playboys
20230220 18:39:17 Create Object Display
20230220 18:39:17 imagedir:C:\vPinball\PinUPSystem\PuPVideos\playboys\PuPCapture
20230220 18:39:17 num images 56
20230220 18:39:32 ERROR sending b2sdata
20230220 18:39:32 ****Exception class name = EOleException
20230220 18:39:32 ****Exception message = The application called an interface that was marshalled for a different thread
20230220 18:39:33 ERROR sending b2sdata
20230220 18:39:33 ****Exception class name = EOleException
20230220 18:39:33 ****Exception message = The application called an interface that was marshalled for a different thread
20230220 18:39:34 ERROR sending b2sdata
20230220 18:39:34 ****Exception class name = EOleException
20230220 18:39:34 ****Exception message = The application called an interface that was marshalled for a different thread
20230220 18:39:36 ERROR sending b2sdata
20230220 18:39:36 ****Exception class name = EOleException
20230220 18:39:36 ****Exception message = The application called an interface that was marshalled for a different thread
20230220 18:39:38 ERROR sending b2sdata
20230220 18:39:38 ****Exception class name = EOleException
20230220 18:39:38 ****Exception message = The application called an interface that was marshalled for a different thread
20230220 18:39:38 Free Object Display

This is what it says when I run the vpx with freezy dll

20230220 18:30:06 Open called
20230220 18:30:06 Set Game Name thread playboys
20230220 18:30:07 Start Thread Matching
20230220 18:30:07 create PuPCap
20230220 18:30:07 Init Game name:playboys
20230220 18:30:07 Create Object Display
20230220 18:30:07 imagedir:C:\vPinball\PinUPSystem\PuPVideos\playboys\PuPCapture
20230220 18:30:07 num images 56
20230220 18:37:53 Free Object Display

Thank you for any helpful suggestions.

Did you ever figure this out?

Hello.
When I display a color DMD with VPX 10.8.0 beta 7, the color DMD is displayed for a moment and then disappears.
I tried it with afm_113b and baywatch.

It seems that the settings were changed when updating VPX, and it worked correctly in window mode.

Edited by emuoyaji

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, technabob said:

I installed this over my existing DMD Extensions setup, and now I get a message that I need to update my Pin2DMD firmware. What's the easiest way to do this?

Never mind - I managed to update the firmware by following the directions on the Pin2DMD github repo.

Sorry to flood this discussion with so many questions. Can anyone think of a reason why the Tron Legacy Serum file would load when testing with VPinMAME 32-bit Test, but the 64-bit test doesn't load the colorized DMD

@lucky1, thanks for all your hard work on this!

Edited by technabob

New AC/DC colorization

Hi,

This works sort of, but animations like the low rider car during the bumpers does not display.  on the comments folks say you may need freezy vs lucky1 version.

Anyone get this working on this latest build or is it just me (yet everything else seems fine).

Built new vpinmame folder from scratch and now working with both lucky1 and freezy setups...

Edited by ArcadeGamer

30 minutes ago, ArcadeGamer said:

New AC/DC colorization

Hi,

This works sort of, but animations like the low rider car during the bumpers does not display.  on the comments folks say you may need freezy vs lucky1 version.

Anyone get this working on this latest build or is it just me (yet everything else seems fine).

You need the official acd_170h rom available here. If you try to use one that was color patched it will not show animations. It works just perfectly with lucky1's dll's as well as freezy's. Its the rom at issue

46 minutes ago, Cliffy said:

You need the official acd_170h rom available here. If you try to use one that was color patched it will not show animations. It works just perfectly with lucky1's dll's as well as freezy's. Its the rom at issue

Thanks cliffy.  Looks like it was user error.  seems an old table was loaded in the background in edit mode and was somehow messing with vpinmame.

On 12/28/2023 at 12:40 PM, ArcadeGamer said:

New AC/DC colorization

Hi,

Built new vpinmame folder from scratch and now working with both lucky1 and freezy setups...

Can i ask how you built a whole new vpinmame folder? having issues with crz and fsq files and tried everything so far. Was a brand new install too

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2023 at 9:43 AM, Cliffy said:

Then make sure you have the paths to them in your dmddevice.ini;

; put your plugins here, up to 10 plugins can be defined.
; since they are native plugins, you need to define them
; for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
plugin.0.path = pin2color.dll
plugin.0.path64 = pin2color64.dll
plugin.0.passthrough = false

Devil's in the details, so thanks for posting this. 

No where on front page is this listed, nor is it even in the sample dmddevice.ini supplied.  I'm sure there's more instructions I'm going to miss.  Need to read and find out about the serum dll's now.  So frustrating not having clear concise instructions.  Even the download comes in a plugin folder, which is confusing because there is a plugins folder, but download doesn't go there. Simple things like this make it hard to follow.  Still not sure if I need this for pac files when using an lcd for dmd.

Edited by Fwiler

On 12/28/2023 at 8:14 PM, Kryne said:

Can i ask how you built a whole new vpinmame folder? having issues with crz and fsq files and tried everything so far. Was a brand new install too

I just re-downloaded vpinmame, dmdext, etc and then put in the rom and altcolor files I wanted to test with a single table (acdc)

Once that worked, then did troubleshooting on what else was going on with my prior main vpinmame install

On 12/27/2023 at 8:12 PM, Cliffy said:

Thank you so much for this information!!  I didn't realize I was missing out on some of the wonderful altcolor DMD animation sequences, I had been patching and maintaining sets of the "Colored MOD" patched Stern ROMs.  I failed to notice the recent altcolor releases were for the original B/W or unpatched ROMs, not the MOD patched versions!

Recently released SERUM and PAC files were written for the factory unpatched ROMs, replacing the old pin2dmd.pal file specific to that special patched ROM. If you have an altcolor directory with the "c" suffix (color patched version), simply copy the directory while removing the "c" from the directory file name, i.e. altcolor\acd_170hc gets copied to altcolor\acd_170h, if it doesn't already exist.  It should contain the same file.

So that got me wondering if there were other ROMs out there with similar issues.  Sure enough, I found a bunch!  Here they are:

AC/DC Pro (Regular)  - acd_168 instead of acd_168c
AC/DC  LE (Luci, etc.) - acd_168h instead of acd_168hc
AC/DC Pro (Regular)  - acd_170 instead of acd_170c
AC/DC  LE (Luci, etc.) - acd_170h instead of acd_170hc
The Walking Dead Pro - twd_156 instead of twd_156c
The Walking Dead LE  - twd_156h instead of twd_156hc
The Walking Dead Pro - twd_160 instead of twd_160c
The Walking Dead LE  - twd_160h instead of twd_160hc
Metallica Premium Monsters - mtl_164h instead of mtl_164hc
Metallica Pro - mtl_164 instead of mtl_164c
Metallica Premium Monsters - mtl_170h instead of mtl_170hc
Metallica Pro - mtl_170 instead of mtl_170c
Metallica Premium Monsters - mtl_180h instead of mtl_180hc
Metallica Pro - mtl_180 instead of mtl_180c

There will probably be more of these in the future, as SERUM and PAC files replace the older .PAL and/or .PAL/.VNI file combos.  Look for these other Stern "Colored MOD" releases to be updated in the future, they will need similar treatment, eventually.  I went through the entire ROM list and found these other color patched MOD's that still have pin2dmd.pal files supporting them, hopefully they will be updated in the near future!

Star Trek   V1.61 Pro and V1.61 LE colored DMD - replace st_161c and st_161hc with st_161 and st_161h
Star Trek   V1.62 Pro and V1.62 LE colored DMD - replace st_162c and st_162hc with st_162 and st_162h
X-Men       V1.51 Pro and V1.51 LE colored DMD - replace xmn_151c and xmn_151hc with xmn_151 and st_151h
Avengers    V1.70 Pro and V1.70 LE colored DMD - replace avs_170c and avs_170hc with avs_170 and avs_170h
Mustang     V1.45 Pro and V1.45 LE colored DMD - replace mt_145c and mt_145hc with mt_145 and mt_145h
Spider-Man Vault Edition V1.00 and V1.01 colored DMD - replace smanve_100c and smanve_101c with smanve_100 and smanve_101
Batman Dark Knight V2.64 colored DMD - replace bdk_264c with bdk_264

I also found there are a bunch of custom patched "Colored DMD MOD" files such as the following, I don't know if these will be updated or not:

Pirates of the Carribean V6.00 English/French patched ROM - colored DMD MOD

Family Guy 1200/Shrek 141

Jurassic Park 600

CSI 2.4

Hook 501

Tommy 500

World Poker Tour Color English

World Poker Tour Colour French

James Bond 60th

Thank you again for bringing up this topic.  I didn't realize what I was missing!!

Mr.T

Needless to say, I am at my wits end if I am posting here. I will try to provide as much information as possible. First, I have a working system on windows 10 with 1 year old version of vpx, pinup, etc working with pup pack triggers on a pin2dmd. Now on a clean installation with windows 11 on the same pc in the same pinball and the baller installer from Nov, I cannot for the life of me get the dmd working and triggering pup packs at the same time. Either the dmd doesn’t work, and it triggers a pup, or does work and won’t trigger a pup. I am testing with iron man and flintstones pup packs from the original drive and doing my best to make sure I can keep the same what I can. The last time I did this, I ran into a nearly identical problem, and it was solved but it was because I just tried every possible combination of files/firmware until it worked. I have done the same thing again, but its not working. I have tried nearly every permutation of dmd.ext, the dmddevice.dll’s, pin2color.dll, and nothing will work the way that it is supposed to. Now it is not even possible to take pics or describe what file versions have been tried or the combination of them. I have tried the linked dll’s from this post, the ones from here https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD. The last time I think I needed to update the firmware on the pin2dmd, and have done that already, although the version number is showing the same as before the update and reactivation. The iron man does not use a colorized file, but pinmame is set to color. I am so frustrated after like 6 hours straight working on this I don’t know what other info to provide. I am using vpx 10.7.4 64 bit, but the same thing happens in 32. I was so stoked working on a new setup until this crucial moment where I found that the dmd that had been working for many tables, does not trigger a pup pack and I have a lot of them! Any pointers would be great, thanks for listening to the rant. Side note, baller does have a dmdext64 but nowhere else has it that I can find, and vpx will try to use it, and will default to  dmdext if it is not in the folder. I tried just copying my old dmddevice.ini, modding the new one, good lord some many changes and its still doesn't work lol.

files.png

On 1/15/2024 at 4:38 AM, MisterTransistor said:

Thank you so much for this information!!  I didn't realize I was missing out on some of the wonderful altcolor DMD animation sequences, I had been patching and maintaining sets of the "Colored MOD" patched Stern ROMs.  I failed to notice the recent altcolor releases were for the original B/W or unpatched ROMs, not the MOD patched versions!

Recently released SERUM and PAC files were written for the factory unpatched ROMs, replacing the old pin2dmd.pal file specific to that special patched ROM. If you have an altcolor directory with the "c" suffix (color patched version), simply copy the directory while removing the "c" from the directory file name, i.e. altcolor\acd_170hc gets copied to altcolor\acd_170h, if it doesn't already exist.  It should contain the same file.

So that got me wondering if there were other ROMs out there with similar issues.  Sure enough, I found a bunch!  Here they are:

Mr.T

Thanks for Posting. I had 2 that I needed to clean up but had missed!

• 2 weeks later...

If I use freezys .dll files all my color dmds .pal/vni, .pac, .cRZ work except for bugs, diner and bad cats, those 3 lag so much I can’t use them.

If I use Luckys .dll bugs, diner and bad cats work perfectly fine, but some .cRZ’s become black and white and others are still good colors. It’s just puzzling why some .cRZ work and others don’t while using Lucky’s.  All other formats .pac, .pal/.vni work. Using Lucky’s

I’m Using a pindmdv3

Edited by Redwings13