Last Action Hero Colorization

• Content Provider

@Flens

Is the "world champion" scene the one starting by this picture ?

lfs.thumb.gif.872907ff7ce52598bf31c6dd8a1491e0.gif

If so, I cannot dump it from the pincab. It has to be dumped directly fro a real pin to be complete (there's only this frame in the pincab version...).

Would you be able to do a dump ? you have to connect your pin2dmd to a computer and use pin2dmd.exe to dump a scene that is displayed.

If it's another one, could you please explain me how to see this scene ?

I've tried a palette switch so to display this scene in white/grey, let me know it is ok. In palette switch you can only set 3 colors... 

UPDATE:
- popcorn cup design modified on "will jack slater..."
- 3 / 7 / 10 / 15 / 30 millions colors changed

- chicken scene explosion changed 

- ball1 / ball2 locked colors colors changed

- jackpot / double jackpot / super jackpot explosion color changed

- lah-score color changed

@dtatane

Hi Damian,

yes, thats the world champion scene. Start with that screen.

So how do i connect the PIN2DMD to a computer ? Whta cable do i need ?

Where do i get pin2dmd.exe from ?

And finally, how can i do a dump scene ?

Sorry, no experience with that. You have to teach me.

I check all your updates on friday and saturday. Maybe on thursday evening.

I am curious to see what the explosion looks like

Best regards

Edited by Flens

1 hour ago, Flens said:

@dtatane

Hi Damian,

yes, thats the world champion scene. Start with that screen.

So how do i connect the PIN2DMD to a computer ? Whta cable do i need ? USB to Micro USB and USB to Mini USB cable ordered. Receive Thursday.

Where do i get pin2dmd.exe from ? installed pin2dmdexe 64 bit. running

And finally, how can i do a dump scene ? we have to look. you have to teach

Sorry, no experience with that. You have to teach me.

I check all your updates on friday and saturday. Maybe on thursday evening.

I am curious to see what the explosion looks like

Best regards

pin2dmdexe64b.JPG

• Content Provider

@Flens

This is it, you just have to check the "Create Dump file" check box while displaying the scene on the pin2dmd, and then uncheck the checkbox to stop recording.

The dump file is a .txt file, located in pin2dmd.exe directory and should be compressed to gzip format with a software like 7-zip.

Thanks !

@dtatane

Hi Damian,

in my dropbox you see videos to your updatet scenes from sunday. Videos > https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p6yezqoolli8grj/AABm6bRF0UZOP-nPkLC8b5rMa?dl=0

Looks good so far i think.

One thing at the LAH Startscreen is wrong. At the end some colour at the lower lettering missing. See video 04.

The Ckicken carcrash looks better now. Maybe a little to much of different grey, missing orange ore something, but better then all red. See Video 2.

I dumped files ! Whow i can do that ! Amazing !

I dumped two scenes from WorldChampion. Hope one will work.

Also dumped RipperBlowout. I Remember you had problems to colour that scene better. Maybe now its easyer ?

in my dropbox you see files original, and also compressed files to gzip. Files > https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aeoknt0jh72buil/AACMpcTk3POLjY-Zivff_A5Za?dl=0

Hope all my hard work that will help you :-).

Best regards, Holger

Edited by Flens

• Content Provider

Hi @Flens

Unfortunately, the recording failed and the files are only showing blank scene. I had a look at original and compressed files. 

I'm sorry, I don't have a realpin and cannot explain you further what's wrong, maybe @Terranigma or @olschool could help ?

Hope we could find a solution to get this done !! I'll have a closer ook at Blow-out ripper scene.. This is quite complicated due to the scores popping randomly on the screen. 

UPDATE

- new version of Double jackpot

- end of play chicken scene 

- cat millions coat color

- super jackpot : hide score during transisition

- jackpot : hide score during transition

- lah-logo pal switch to correct bug

Hello @dtatane,

so sorry. I dont know whats going wrong with my recording.

The Scene "World Champion" is very short. The Scene "Ripper Blow Out" much longer.

So i think to short scene could not be the reason.

I will try at thursday evening again.

@lucky1 perhaps other settings are necessary when recording dumps from data east pinball machines ?

I do so as posted here earlier at april the 13th.

1. Connect Pinball with USB cable to Notebook.

2. Start pin2dmd.exe

3. Mark the checkbox Create Dump File two ore three second before the relevant scene on pinball machine starts.

4. Choose folder to an new created on diskspace.

5. Unmark the checkbox Create Dump File one ore two seconds after the scene is over.

6. compressed and uncompressed txt files uploaded  to my dropbox 

best regards, Holger

• Content Provider
5 hours ago, Flens said:

1. Connect Pinball with USB cable to Notebook.

2. Start pin2dmd.exe

3. Mark the checkbox Create Dump File two ore three second before the relevant scene on pinball machine starts.

4. Choose folder to an new created on diskspace.

5. Unmark the checkbox Create Dump File one ore two seconds after the scene is over.

6. compressed and uncompressed txt files uploaded  to my dropbox 

Hey @Flens

Sounds like you have the right setup. Just a few things to check.

Have you made sure that  Data East / Sega is checked as the pinball mode.

Enhancer is set to ON.

Also I would not mark the checkbox "Create Dump File" two or three seconds before the relevant scene. I would mark it as soon as you start playing. If you are doing it so soon before the scene it may not record it all properly. After you are happy you have got all the scenes then you can unmark the checkbox for create dump file.

It doesn't matter if you record too much, just use a watch or timer and you can tell Dtatane at around what time he should look for the scenes. This will make sure you capture it all and having extra scenes isn't a problem. 

@dtatane I'm sorry I haven't checked out your latest version yet. I have been busy with a data east project of my own (TMNT) that has taken up a lot of time.

I want to still help you with yours so I should be able to test it this week and if you need anything let me know. I will let Flens try his recording again as it is good to learn how to get it all right but if you need anything else let me know.

Thanks

On 4/20/2021 at 7:00 PM, Terranigma said:

Hey @Flens

Sounds like you have the right setup. Just a few things to check.

Have you made sure that  Data East / Sega is checked as the pinball mode.

Enhancer is set to ON.

Also I would not mark the checkbox "Create Dump File" two or three seconds before the relevant scene. I would mark it as soon as you start playing. If you are doing it so soon before the scene it may not record it all properly. After you are happy you have got all the scenes then you can unmark the checkbox for create dump file.

It doesn't matter if you record too much, just use a watch or timer and you can tell Dtatane at around what time he should look for the scenes. This will make sure you capture it all and having extra scenes isn't a problem. 

@dtatane I'm sorry I haven't checked out your latest version yet. I have been busy with a data east project of my own (TMNT) that has taken up a lot of time.

I want to still help you with yours so I should be able to test it this week and if you need anything let me know. I will let Flens try his recording again as it is good to learn how to get it all right but if you need anything else let me know.

Thanks

@dtatane

now dump file works. I can see when i open them with pin2dmd editor, but no idea how to work with.
Anyway, you Damian know what to do. So see dumpfiles in my dropbox, worlchampion, ripper blow out and cousin frank.

Dumpfiles in my dropbox > https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iimfe80oehlgb4h/AABdUn_QzHIJkHbNkPgGBCSoa?dl=0

@Terranigma

I think problem was that i dont mark the checkbox Data East / Sega again after starting pin2dmdexe.
When starting pin2dmdexe it is marked but maybe not activated.
When mark again, it works. Thanks for assistance.

@dtatane
LAH Logo is now coloured fully. Works good.

Magnet scene when hitting outer right scoop is a little black and white somewhere to the end of scene.
See video 01_magnet ...

Chicken crash, i dont see any change but it works good.
See video 02_chicken...

Multiball, Jackpots and 6 Ball mode okay. But when getting all jackpots and receive 6 balls, the 6 balls
scene is all grey coloured. You cant detect the number 6 at all. I think after 35 seconds in video the scene starts.
See video 03_multiball...

Cousin frank award. Not often seen so far. You get when hitting ramp two times and then hit the right scoop.
Maybe you have a look if okay.
See video 04_cousin...

Videos in my dropbox > https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ghvhh470bif3gzw/AAC6za4h0TEWN-0ixA1xekBja?dl=0

Best regards at all

Edited by Flens

• 4 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Hi,

I'm a bit frustrated with the 64colors change, it gives more opportunity to have nice colors, but it is not working well for now on pincab :

In order to benefit from the new firmware 4.x, I have to use the dmddevice.dll made by @lucky1 and unfortunately it's not working with virtualDMD, which I use to work on the colorisation. I tried freezy 1.90rc24 (or rc26, can't remember) without any success.

In addition, Visual Pinball crashes with some color files, it seems to be linked with the usage of ReplaceSequenceMode for lah, I've experienced also that with getaway high-speed 2.

On the last build in the Gdrive, I revert all the scenes that were in this mode to replace mode, which might end up in some missing frames at the end of some scenes, as we were seeing months ago.

I hope there will be some improvements with the support of 64colors.

I didn't find how to export files from pin2dmd editor in 16colors (if it's possible ?). I tried the "save as old format" option without any success.

Let me know if someone can help with virtualdmd or old format !

• Content Provider

Instead of tagging me with the @ sign I think it would be more useful to tag freezy with your issue. I have no experience with C sharp dotnet which is used for freezy dll .

• Content Provider

It seems you misunderstood my message, I tagged you because :

I was mentionning that the dmddevice.dll file on your github was crashing with some color file I tried.

- I was wondering if it was possible to export the files on the "old" 16colors format to remain compatible with freezy dmddevice

4 hours ago, dtatane said:

I was mentionning that the dmddevice.dll file on your github was crashing with some color file I tried.

- I was wondering if it was possible to export the files on the "old" 16colors format to remain compatible with freezy dmddevice

What color roms are crashing with Luck1's  dmddevice.dll   File

• Content Provider
7 hours ago, dtatane said:

I can only investigate the problem if the description is as precise as possible. Just telling that it crashes with certain coloriztaions doesn´t help me find the problem. Best way is to use the dump feature of piname and stop the recording when it crashes. I don´t have the time to test colorizations. 

I´m also not sure if I understand your second question. There is no way to export 64 color projects with 16 colors. If it is about colorizations using follow replacement mode, to convert them to simple replacement mode is best practice.

• Content Provider

For Getaway High speed 2, I posted a message on the thread, detailing the error.

For Last Action Hero, here are some files crashing when launching the game

"you must update your firmware" while I'm running 4.10 and your latest dmddevice.dll

pin2dmd.vni

pin2dmd.pal

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2021 at 10:08 AM, dtatane said:

Hi,

I'm a bit frustrated with the 64colors change, it gives more opportunity to have nice colors, but it is not working well for now on pincab :

In order to benefit from the new firmware 4.x, I have to use the dmddevice.dll made by @lucky1 and unfortunately it's not working with virtualDMD, which I use to work on the colorisation. I tried freezy 1.90rc24 (or rc26, can't remember) without any success.

In addition, Visual Pinball crashes with some color files, it seems to be linked with the usage of ReplaceSequenceMode for lah, I've experienced also that with getaway high-speed 2.

On the last build in the Gdrive, I revert all the scenes that were in this mode to replace mode, which might end up in some missing frames at the end of some scenes, as we were seeing months ago.

I hope there will be some improvements with the support of 64colors.

I didn't find how to export files from pin2dmd editor in 16colors (if it's possible ?). I tried the "save as old format" option without any success.

Let me know if someone can help with virtualdmd or old format !

Anyone who can help @dtatane to fix the problem ?

Maybe @freezy as Lucky1 requested knows more ?

Im just a real pinball player and support these great artworks with videos and dumpfiles, so no idea what the problem is.

Best regards, Holger

• Content Provider

Hi,

I've released v1.1 for realpin which is the same as v1.2 for vpin, just explaining in the files that VPIN v1.2 should be used only on pin2dmd 4.10+ and not with virtual DMD

As I am a pincab user, I'm using pin2dmd, but also virtual DMD and I will go on working on this project (expecially 64colors) only if i can benefit from it for my personnal usage first. Let's see if virtual DMD will support 64 colors in the next months and I'll get back to work to improve the colors of this project. 

I did successfully install v1.1.0 to real pin.  It looks great.  There is a small bug triggered from a mode start and a white frame with a red area shows up for a fraction of a second, but i played a lot yesterday and there is no serious impact to the rest of the game.  All other scenes, end of ball, extra ball, crane etc look excellent.  Fine work and would love to see 64 colour.

11 minutes ago, trueno92 said:

I did successfully install v1.1.0 to real pin.  It looks great.  There is a small bug triggered from a mode start and a white frame with a red area shows up for a fraction of a second, but i played a lot yesterday and there is no serious impact to the rest of the game.  All other scenes, end of ball, extra ball, crane etc look excellent.  Fine work and would love to see 64 colour.

Hi trueno92,

great that you like the artworks.

It helps Dtatane when you make a video from the scenes with errors and post it here.

So he can find out more easyer in which area of coloring the error has to be corrected.

Thanks for using the great LAH coloring from Dtatane.

Best regards, Holger

Edited by Flens

• Content Provider

Hi @trueno92

Good to hear that you enjoy the work done. As @Flens said, it helps a lot if you can share a small video showing the error.

I do not own the realpin and what I can record and see from the pincab is slightly different to the realpin. In general, animations are slower, shorter and the keyframes may alter. So, by seeing a video, I can actually check what's happening and see if I can correct it.

@Flens help me a lot doing so yo improve the realpin release.

Youtube, Dropbox, gdrive, wetransfer no matter how it's shared. 

On the first page of this thread, you can find a complete changelog and link to a Gdrive where I share the latest build of the colors. So when I post a message here detailing a correction, you can have look to get the latest files there. 

Thanks for helping !

You have my full support on this project development,  look out for a gsme play video later today focus on dmd

I am running rom 1.04, so maybe this is not a problem on the 1.12, but i will upgrade to 1.13 soon.  Display rom is 1.06

Sorry about my bad play. The error doesnt happen until later on 5:15 mark.

After this white screen with red comes up, it will flash when every mode is selected for the rest of the game.

Screenshot_20210601-090735_YouTube.jpg

Edited by trueno92

1 hour ago, trueno92 said:

You have my full support on this project development,  look out for a gsme play video later today focus on dmd

I am running rom 1.04, so maybe this is not a problem on the 1.12, but i will upgrade to 1.13 soon.  Display rom is 1.06

Sorry about my bad play. The error doesnt happen until later on 5:15 mark.

After this white screen with red comes up, it will flash when every mode is selected for the rest of the game.

Screenshot_20210601-090735_YouTube.jpg

Hi trueno,

thats the beginning of 6 BALL PLAY after getting Jackpot and Doublejackpot.

I knew that Dtatane has updated the colours for the 6 BALL Screen in the last weeks.

Maybe there could be the error in detail.

I will try tomorrow my self the new version from Dtatane and check if it also happens at my LAH pinball machine.

Please update to Gamerom 1.13. It is much mor fun in gameplay, you will love it ! And maybe all of us real pinball machine user will play with the same version.

Displayrom 1.06 is the newest. In germany there is a new pin2dmd user with real LAH pinball machine. I knew him as a very smart guy. He also use Gamerom 1.13.

Thanks supporting this project and best regards,

Holger