Last Action Hero Colorization

• Content Provider
9 minutes ago, koslow said:

I'm using pin2dmd evo. Yes activated but i put .pal and .vni on sd card (renamed en pin2dmd for both). I need to add .fsq too ?

Yes you will need the .fsq for a real pinball machine. If you are using a virtual pin then you only need the pal and vni

• Content Provider
On 1/17/2021 at 8:36 AM, Terranigma said:

Starting a new post for the issues below so it doesn't get clogged up. Starting to test now so will update below as I go.

- Extra Ball lit flickers red at the start of the animation. - Much better.  I have recorded it, the scene flickers from white to red though.
- Extra Ball animation turns orange when he throws the ball towards the guy - Orange is now gone, there is a red frame at the end though. Same as above didn't do it for the second time. -> I added a few extra frames at the end but as it it the transisition with the score, it may be the score displaying a bit weird. Let me know if it is better like this.
- Dynamite Feature sometimes flickers red and sometimes had a full red frame at the end. - This looks to be fixed completely now but will test some more.
- Dynamite Feature explosion sometimes just goes yellow for a few frames at the end. - This also looks to be fixed but will also test some more.

- x more for Multiball doesn't look coloured. The countdown screen. The woman's face and the text etc are all red and white. - Now coloured
- When activating "Action" before "Last" it goes red and orange. Activating "Last" after this shows "Last" working correctly. - Now working

Also found a screen that may not be coloured, the M-Ball restart flashes all red. Not sure if this is correct. Looks like the text should be white and the numbers red or vice versa. -> you're right, I forgot this screen, it is now colored + recolored the other scene to match the ticket color of '"will jack slater" scene

Video here https://we.tl/t-ZUF4lKsufc

Skillshot : added missing scenes
SmartMissile : converted to ColorMask
Will jack slater loose : changed to colormask
LAH Logo : fixed logo not flashing
Crane runaway : changed detection mask
Double-jackpot dountdown : fixed detection mask issue

• Content Provider
13 hours ago, dtatane said:

Skillshot : added missing scenes - Still all red for me
SmartMissile : converted to ColorMask - Looks correct so far
Will jack slater loose : changed to colormask - Looks ok but the popcorn is still not right for me
LAH Logo : fixed logo not flashing - Logo flashes correctly now
Crane runaway : changed detection mask - to be checked
Double-jackpot dountdown : fixed detection mask issue - to  be checked

7 hours ago, Terranigma said:

Skillshot : added missing scenes - For me also still all red 
SmartMissile : converted to ColorMask - Looks good
Will jack slater loose : changed to colormask - The popcorn-bag is still not right 
LAH Logo : fixed logo not flashing - Logo flashes  now
Crane runaway : changed detection mask - to be checked
Double-jackpot dountdown : fixed detection mask issue - to  be checked

dynamite feature - ripper blow out:

the counts of 250K, 350K ...not all fully filled blue.  See Video 001_ripper-blow-out > ONE POST LATER WITH LINK

Also it feels fpr me that in the ripper blow out some color all over is missing, feels for me of course

Keep on going dtatane ! You did a great job !

On 1/23/2021 at 7:31 PM, Flens said:

dynamite feature - ripper blow out:

the counts of 250K, 350K ...not all fully filled blue.  See Video 001_ripper-blow-out > https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bhltk78okltgqj6/AAAKNw-OMRDYXRz306WXagV_a?dl=0

Also it feels fpr me that in the ripper blow out some color all over is missing, feels for me of course

Keep on going dtatane ! You did a great job !

now with the correct link to dropbox

On 1/22/2021 at 7:28 PM, Terranigma said:

Yes you will need the .fsq for a real pinball machine. If you are using a virtual pin then you only need the pal and vni

you were right we need to add the 3 files on sd card. it work nicely now :D thank you

Hi Dtatane,

just played at the weekend.

Here are some actual statements from me, videos in Dropbox > https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bhltk78okltgqj6/AAAKNw-OMRDYXRz306WXagV_a?dl=0

Skillshot > Still red at the end when hit > see video 01_Skillshot ...

Ripper blow out> the counts of 250K, 350K > see video 02_ripper_blow ...

Red Eye > everything in the mask is red. would be nice when targets couloured as at the pin and stuff > see video 03_red_eye_and_chicken_carcrash

Chicken Carcrash > when cars crashing explosion/flames just red culoured. would be nice when a little yellow ore something in the explosion > see video 03_red_eye_and_chicken_carcrash

LAH Logo Flashing > wolud be great when flashes in lightblue i think, flashes white > see video 04_LAH_logo_flash ... at the "ColorDMD" scene looks here/below > 

CPU/Game rom 1.13 > i have changed from 1.12 to 1.13. Starting pinballmachine the letters and numbers are not correct couloured > see video 05_start_pinball_cpu_gamerom

Keep on going Dtatane. I will be a great game when ready. I have donate you again my friend !

• Content Provider

Hi @Flens,

Thanks for the video, I've uploaded a new version to the Google Drive with :

- new detection mask for "catch the red eye", I hope it'll wiork on real pin
- change the colorization to cover 1.13 start menu
- skillshot, for any reason, the Mask was selected but noit used in the keyframes. I've check the frames used in the video you've sent me. I'll double-check the others later on.

Unfortunately, to colorize a bit better "ripper blow out" sequence, I uses the same algorithm as "catch the red eye". If I get the latter to work on real pin, I'll have a look at the former.
All in all, from what I know from the Pin2DMD Editor, as it is right now, it won't be possible to have a better looking "background with the police cars".  I didn't have a look at the latest 64colors that Lucky1 released, and if It can be used for this project. I'll check that later on. 

I'll have a look on how to improve carcrash sequence, as I was the first sequence I did on this project, I'm now a bit more experienced, and I agree this could be better done.

BUT, ColorDMD is registered materiel, while working on this project I knew about that and forced myself not to look on what was done by ColorDMD in order to limit the risk of similar color choices.
Therefore, I can improve some scenes to make them look better, but I will keep choosing my own style for it !!

• Content Provider

Ok,

I've actually done again the 5 different ends of the successful skill shot sequence. The D-mask was not applied, i was displaying correctly on my pincab, but as the sync is different with real pin, I guess the copter blades were not a the exact same position meaning it was niot triggered for you guys.

Let me know if it works like that.

On 2/7/2021 at 9:28 AM, dtatane said:

Hi @Flens,

Thanks for the video, I've uploaded a new version to the Google Drive with :

- new detection mask for "catch the red eye", I hope it'll wiork on real pin - I tryed three games but i dont see any animation in catch the red eye - Could any one confirm ?
- change the colorization to cover 1.13 start menu - There is a change but the date June. 01. 2013 is still coloured blue, yellow ... - Could any one confirm ?
- skillshot, for any reason, the Mask was selected but noit used in the keyframes. I've check the frames used in the video you've sent me. I'll double-check the others later on. - I have still red frames, maybe that sould be when hit ? - Could any one confirm ?

Unfortunately, to colorize a bit better "ripper blow out" sequence, I uses the same algorithm as "catch the red eye". If I get the latter to work on real pin, I'll have a look at the former.  - Okay, wait what you can do in the future to improve this scene.
All in all, from what I know from the Pin2DMD Editor, as it is right now, it won't be possible to have a better looking "background with the police cars".  I didn't have a look at the latest 64colors that Lucky1 released, and if It can be used for this project. I'll check that later on. 

I'll have a look on how to improve carcrash sequence, as I was the first sequence I did on this project, I'm now a bit more experienced, and I agree this could be better done. - Okay, wait what you can do in the future to improve this scene.

BUT, ColorDMD is registered materiel, while working on this project I knew about that and forced myself not to look on what was done by ColorDMD in order to limit the risk of similar color choices.
Therefore, I can improve some scenes to make them look better, but I will keep choosing my own style for it !! - Of course do your own style ! You did brilliant work Dtatane and i am always exited to see whats new here ! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

@Flens

You were right for the skillshot... that's another point of not recording on a VPIN.. ! My ball was always hitting on the top shot?? meaning, the winning sequence was always the same. I finally find out how to record the other sequences on my pincab, and I added the colorization of these to the project. Let me know if it works now... 
I changed the color for the menu, the display should be good whatever the date.
No news for now for catch the red eye... 

I also did some tweaks in the color choices or added some details in some scenes : play chicken, chicken countdown, multiball "add a ball", find benedict... 

This will be a new "official" release.
Hope you enjoy.

On 2/19/2021 at 11:51 PM, dtatane said:

@Flens

You were right for the skillshot... that's another point of not recording on a VPIN.. ! My ball was always hitting on the top shot?? meaning, the winning sequence was always the same. I finally find out how to record the other sequences on my pincab, and I added the colorization of these to the project. Let me know if it works now... 
I changed the color for the menu, the display should be good whatever the date.

I also did some tweaks in the color choices or added some details in some scenes : play chicken, chicken countdown, multiball "add a ball", find benedict... 

Hope you enjoy.

Hi Dtatane,

great to hear from you.

Please se comments and check videos for more.

Great work. I see some changes.

I updated PIN2DMD from 3.18 to firmware 4.07 and then installed your new release:

You were right for the skillshot... that's another point of not recording on a VPIN.. ! My ball was always hitting on the top shot?? meaning, the winning sequence was always the same. I finally find out how to record the other sequences on my pincab, and I added the colorization of these to the project. Let me know if it works now... I see no changes. Hit ore not hit, no difference. Always a red screen. See videos 01 and 01a in dropbox. 
I changed the color for the menu, the display should be good whatever the date. I see a little change. Some pixels at the undersite from June. 01. 2013 are still yellow, not blue. But its no problem because you see that screen just a few seconds. See video 02 in dropbox. 
It works. Fully colored scene ! Maybe the firmware update did the change ? See video 03 in dropbox

I also did some tweaks in the color choices or added some details in some scenes : play chicken, chicken countdown, multiball "add a ball", find benedict... Play chicken, the rpm-meter changed  I dont know so far. When chicken at 10 Mio ore more, the coulour of the "1" is not fully the same. Looks good, but could be more colred if you like. O course the carcrash i think. See video 04 in dropbox, 

Multiball, i dont know the changes, there ist so much in that scene to see. See video 05 in dropbox.

"add a ball"/go to the movies, the thame. Looks good, but i dont see the changes. See video 06 in dropbox.

Find Benedict, it works. Countdown is back ! Maybe the firmware update did the change ? See video 07 in dropbox

I see the first time "special is lit" when getting bonus over 25 Mio. The whole scene is coulured red. Dont know if you see that already ? No Video

Hope you enjoy

Hope you are going forward in this project. Its so good work from you ! Best regards, Holger

DROPBOX LINK > https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vvm1qkt9uieoj80/AAACg3wIOfJS0_feuEpu5Hfba?dl=0

Video overwiew:

01 and 01a - Skillshot
02 - start pinball, version
03 - red eye
04 - chicken
05 - multiball
06 - go to the movies
07 - find benedict

• Content Provider

Hi @Flens,

Thanks for the videos.
For skillshot, I can see that I'm missing some frames as the end of winning or miss sequence. The beginning of the animation is colored, but my recordings might not be complete. I can try to work around the problem with "color mask qequence" but i was not working very good in my previous attemps( perhaps the lateste firmware might hel) or I will require some dumps from a real pinball. Would you be able to record those 5 missing sequences, 5 winning sequences ?
- Start pinball, sorry, i've been lmazy on that just modifying the colormask without checking. I will load the 1.13 ROM to get thios done correctly !
- Catch the red eye : definitely the firmware update, I haven't changed this sequence in the last releases. As on the VPIN, there are still some glitches in the coloring, now that itr is working, I will dig a bit on this problem. 
- Chicken countdown : I changed the colors, but I see that I forgot to update the keyframes... will correct that quickly.
- MBALL : it is displayed correctly but a few transition frames that cannot be done. Will be on the TODO list to do some improved coloring
- GOTO MOVIES : some minor changed (light in yellow instead of white, plus additional transition scenes, a bit more colored for the intro) : now that catch the red eye and find benedict are working, I can try to use the same functionnality to color the "add a ball" efffect
- Find benedict : so happy to see it works on real pin also

I'm still frustated that the skillshot is not fully colored as it is one of the most seen sequences, but, I guess we're close to a fully colored release. And now, the real challenge will begin in improving the color choices. 

One thing I realize is that I'm testing a lot or my development computer with a onscreen emulated DMD, and the color contrast is not so visible on the real pin2dmd. I will change a bit the palette colors so to have the colors a bit more visible

10 minutes ago, dtatane said:

Hi @Flens,

Thanks for the videos.
For skillshot, I can see that I'm missing some frames as the end of winning or miss sequence. The beginning of the animation is colored, but my recordings might not be complete. I can try to work around the problem with "color mask qequence" but i was not working very good in my previous attemps( perhaps the lateste firmware might hel) or I will require some dumps from a real pinball. Would you be able to record those 5 missing sequences, 5 winning sequences ?
- Start pinball, sorry, i've been lmazy on that just modifying the colormask without checking. I will load the 1.13 ROM to get thios done correctly !
- Catch the red eye : definitely the firmware update, I haven't changed this sequence in the last releases. As on the VPIN, there are still some glitches in the coloring, now that itr is working, I will dig a bit on this problem. 
- Chicken countdown : I changed the colors, but I see that I forgot to update the keyframes... will correct that quickly.
- MBALL : it is displayed correctly but a few transition frames that cannot be done. Will be on the TODO list to do some improved coloring
- GOTO MOVIES : some minor changed (light in yellow instead of white, plus additional transition scenes, a bit more colored for the intro) : now that catch the red eye and find benedict are working, I can try to use the same functionnality to color the "add a ball" efffect
- Find benedict : so happy to see it works on real pin also

I'm still frustated that the skillshot is not fully colored as it is one of the most seen sequences, but, I guess we're close to a fully colored release. And now, the real challenge will begin in improving the color choices. 

One thing I realize is that I'm testing a lot or my development computer with a onscreen emulated DMD, and the color contrast is not so visible on the real pin2dmd. I will change a bit the palette colors so to have the colors a bit more visible

Hi Dtatane,

great news from you !

I could try  to record some videos of course. Maybe next friday. At the weekend i will be at my other pinball machines in my brother house. More space for more machines and all the restorations there.

So what do i have to do exactly ? 5 missing winning scenes ? Could you explain please ?

I will do videos when its dark and no other lights around. Today was so much sunshine everywhere.

I love the find benedict mode ! It is my favorite and your artwork brilliant there.

• Content Provider

New update on the google drive :
- 1.13 start screen is now colored
- skillshot : tried colormask sequence -> let's try
- chicken countdown : I revert some changes and completed missing scenes
- Benedict BOOST : changed the colors in big mistake which shares the same animations

On 2/22/2021 at 6:50 PM, olschool said:

Need to update my pin2DMD.

@dtatane:

Hi @Flens,

Thanks for the videos.

You mean in a 5 ball game the skillshots when hit and get millions ?

So i will switch from 3 to 5 ball game and record today in the evening.

Best regards

5 hours ago, Flens said:

@dtatane:

Hi @Flens,

Thanks for the videos.

You mean in a 5 ball game the skillshots when hit and get millions ?

So i will switch from 3 to 5 ball game and record today in the evening.

Best regards

Hi Dtatane,

just record Skillshots from Ball 1 to Ball 5 with every time hitting the right target and recieve millions.

You can see videos (01 to 05) in Dropbox > https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s0hg2lfkzk7oc19/AACuSnpaE2iLnEsdcx3YTKdwa?dl=0

Also you see video (06) with powering up the machine.

Startscreen 1.13 is looking great. Later in the video you see highscores with different coloured letters. When you look at the scores with letters MAA, you see that the M and the A is at the side not right coloured.

The M and the A have one row horizontaly of pixels coloured not the same as the rest of the letter.

Using still:

PIN2DMD firmware 4.07

Gamerom 1.13 (unofficial but more exiting)

Displayrom 1.06

Best regards

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dtatane,

hope your doing well.

I just want to tell what i have noticed in the last few weeks. Before i forget that all. A few issues you know already i think.

1. Highscores with different coloured letters >
   When you look at the scores with letters MAA, earlier post with video, you see that the M and the A is at the side not right coloured.
   The M and the A have one row horizontaly of pixels coloured not the same as the rest of the letter.
2. World Champion all red >
   When you play your last ball, in my case ball 3, and you have the chance to get a new world record of points, the screen "worldchampion" with points is all coloured red.
3. Special lit all red>
   When you reach Bonus 25 Million, the screen "special lit" is all coloured red.
4. Chicken Carcrash all red >
   When cars crashing togehter, all coloured red. Would be great when a little yellow/orange ore something is in the explosion flames ?
5. Ripper blow out counts not even coloured>
   the counts of 250K, 350K are not even coloured. A little blue, black, and maybe more. The scene in the background could be better, but dont know if you can already work on it.
6. Skillshot>
   See my post from february 26 if you want to know more about.

I would donate you for more updates of course.  Lets talk about and go on in this project. You do great work so far.

Kind regards and stay healthy

• 4 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Hi guys,

Just a quick message to tell you that I will be spending some time again on the lah colorization in the next days. 

Stay tuned and do not hesitate to add some details you may have notice in the last month... !

So far :

- updated High score (could not test all character combination but it seems quite ok)

- special lit is now colored

- world champion : I was not able to dump this scene... 

- ball1 locked & ball2 locekd have been converted to color mask