Last Action Hero Colorization

Hi Flens,  thanks for the community support.  I just received the game 5/28/2021!   It arrived needing a few tweaks and adjustment but it plays great so far.  I have been playing LAH in The Pinball Arcade on my phone for a while!

I will definitely check out the new rom as i do not have a burner but will find someone that does - good to know dtantes work is compatible with 1.13!

Waiting on an fm1608 nvram as well..!

ALSO, i make these custom translites.  For now, NASCAR and LAH.  Send me a pm if you are interested.

20210531_214922_resized.jpg

Edited by trueno92

Hi @dtatane, hi all,

just tested new version in my real pinball machine.

Some errors detected and one great new scene, the worldrecord coloring. Looks beautiful !

Here are my statements. You can see videos in my dropbox to all of them >https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xcuueg3pk4dez9j/AADBdqfQaBe03EqBts7pR1m6a?dl=0

01 - Chicken Carcrash - now changing to identify, see video 01_chicken-carcrash 

02 - Magnet scenes - first magnet switches to LAST, LAST not fully coloured. Yellow missing. End of scene yellow slides into magnet, see video 02_Magnet-LAST

- second magnet switches to ACTION, ACTION and Magnet grey after a few seconds, video 03_Magnet-ACTION

- third magnet switches to HERO, HERO same problem as first switch to LASTn not fully coloured. End of scene ...see video 04_Magnet-HERO

03 - Dynamite features have errors after scene dynamite the "red 6" from 6 BALLPLAY is a second to see, see videos 05_Dynamite-after-LAH and 06_Dynamite

04 - 6 BALLPLAY scene after getting jackpot and doublejackpot only the "6" red. In video after 29seconds. The rest of  scene not, see video 07_6-BALLPLAY-after...

05- Worldrecord - brilliant ! I love it ! So much better then the grey. A little short i mean. Colud be one or two seconds longer displayed, see video 08_Worldrecord...

I would love to go on in this project and will allways assist as much and as good i can.

So please stay healthy all togehter and best regards, Flens 

Edited by Flens

• Content Provider

Hi @trueno92

Thanks for your comments in the video.

It was good to see the result on a long play on the realpin. I could also see here and there some glitches of the colors that shouldn't appear and will have a look at it to see if I can improve !

I've just realized that I have never had a look at the bumper score animation (should be all grey), but the way it looks on realpin is really weird. I'll try to find a way to get it colored.

I've also seen that the "6" of 6balls play appears when the dyname feature animation explodes which is non sense.. 

Well as I said previously, a few corrections to have a look on, and will do.

happy to help - and nice to see a long play work out.  Saw some cool stuff like RIPPER jackpot looks good and when getting LAST in last action hero mode, when LAST is achieved in the last order after ACTIOn and HERO, the car is drawn only in white.

• Content Provider

Ok, I added that on the TODO list.

I did some little corrections and played a bit with colors on the ending scene "match". I've tried yet this on the pin2dmd.. 

The files are uploaded on the Gdrive !

Dtante, thank you for getting on this so quickly.   I noticed the Extra Ball animation also tries to display the red blotch from behind the Extra Ball Lit animation.  When lit flashes red , the extra ball flashes red in alternating pattern.

I Copy paste change log of your hard work - will play it tomorrow!!

------------------- |   Change Log    | ------------------- VPIN 1.2 / RPIN 1.1 : - new improvements - some missing scene (world champion) - new keyframe - color improvement (double, jackpot, 6 balls play, car crash in "play chicken"..) VPIN 1.1 / RPIN 1.0 : - a lot of bug corrections - some missing scenes - corected Layered Color MAsk scenes (catch the red eye, find benedict) - basic ROM 1.13 and FRENCH ROM support

@Dtatane, I downloaded the pin2dmd files from the root of your Gdrive dated June3rd.  your work appears to have fixed the white rectangle and red splotch.   the screen now goes yellow with the explosion transition - it looks great! 

The pop bumper explosions have more effect now with some mini explosions going off, but the colors are a bit not correct in the masked areas.

I will play more in depth later with the glass off to see what extra ball looks like as well.

looks like you fixed that with the mask.. ok update video incoming soon

@2:40 when LAST is the first selection out of LAST, ACTION, HERO, it displays correctly with the colorized car.  but for some weird reason when it is out of order, it does not show.... 

maybe same with the DRAINING BALLS animation.  BALLS DRAINING font could be red outline, yellow fill, if possible?

finally EXTRA BALL colourization is fixed!! NICE JOB!

Also noticed you corrected cat's colouring in Cat Millions mode.

On the next fix, i'll just go through each mode with the glass off, its really good.

Edited by trueno92

Hi @dtatane, hi @trueno92,

great work Dtatane ! I love the coloured scene at the end, MATCH. The blue ist beautiful !

Here are my statements. You can see videos in my dropbox to all of them > https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n5coh84i5cwdtv8/AAA8XUM8YombAXQg75OXswNya?dl=0

01 - Magnet scenes- major errors fixed. Theres only one short moment, maybe one second, where the colour is only all grey. But maybe its just me who   sees that allways 😀.

See videos 01_magnet-LAST, 02_magnet-ACTION and 03_magnet-HERO

02 -Dynamite Feature RED EYE- colour of the smiley in the middle is blue. In the pinball machine it is white. Is it possible to change 

See video 04_red-eye

03 - 5 Million - when getting 5 million, maybe at the second cranelock, maybe at on powershield like ripper ore all other, the 5 million ist all grey. All other million like 7, 10 ore more are beautiful coloured. 

See video 05_5-million

04 - MATCH - IT IS BRILLIANT ! GREAT WORK !  

See video 06_MATCH

I would like to thank you Dtatane again for your great work ! I know its alot !

Thank you trueno92 for your quick responses and joining us.

Best regards, Flens

Edited by Flens

Gents, I found an interesting video of a restore project with a genuine colordmd.

Now, i have to say, Dtatane, your work is WAY WAY BETTER than THAT!!!

Its like comparing mcdonalds to a fine dining restaurant.  some colors in the colordmd work don't even make sense.

Anyway. great work as always.

• Content Provider

@Flens

- Magnet : convert to LCM, let's try if it improves the results (or even works !)

- Red eye changed to white

- 5 millions, new keyframe

- Match : thanks !

I've made numerous little corrections / modifications :

- lah play (change the "action" color to orange)

- revert orange color changed yesterday (too dark)

- skillshot -> it was hardly working on Vpin due to ColorMAskSequence issue, it might end up again in having non colored frames at the end, if so, i will need complete dump files for these => + new colors for impacts

- attract mode - coming soon : applied gradient

- cat millions - changed the colors of the million in the bottom

- find benedict : try new colors for the doors (yellow / orange / red as everywhere else)

@trueno92 : thanks it was funny to see a colorDMD video, I only regret not to be able to develop a "blow-out" countdown scene as nice as on this one !

Magnet for last works correct! No more gray frame.

Skill shot does go to gray frame on transition after shot is fired.

The gradient for the COMING SOON in attract mode is very pretty.  Is that a 64 color mode painting? !!  It looks very smooth!!  It looks incredible.   I wish the letters would stay on the screen longer...Can a similar mask be applied for all the high score initials?  But from yellow fade down to orange to red?  Or is it difficult hecause the letters change?

Edited by trueno92

9 hours ago, dtatane said:

@Flens

- Magnet : convert to LCM, let's try if it improves the results (or even works !) 

- Red eye changed to white

- 5 millions, new keyframe

- Match : thanks !

I've made numerous little corrections / modifications :

- lah play (change the "action" color to orange)

- revert orange color changed yesterday (too dark)

- skillshot -> it was hardly working on Vpin due to ColorMAskSequence issue, it might end up again in having non colored frames at the end, if so, i will need complete dump files for these => + new colors for impacts

- attract mode - coming soon : applied gradient

- cat millions - changed the colors of the million in the bottom

- find benedict : try new colors for the doors (yellow / orange / red as everywhere else)

@trueno92 : thanks it was funny to see a colorDMD video, I only regret not to be able to develop a "blow-out" countdown scene as nice as on this one !

@dtatane,

your very fast this weekend ! I cant create videos as fast as you colour screens !

So i will check today and create a larger video with all of that in one.

Did i called the new scene MATCH !? I mean GAME OVER of Course !

If i have to create dumpfiles, let me know. I would do so

Best regards, Flens

• Content Provider

@Flens

It would be great if you can dump the skillshot animations, beacause, I cannot find a way to have every frame colored based on the dumps I made from my pincab!

For skillshot, there are :

- the animation before you shoot (the guy swapping from left to right)

- 5 different positions when you shoot at the copter and miss

- 5 different positions when you shoot and hit

I haven't tried yesterday's changes yet, i'll get the files on my pincab today to see the results.

@trueno92 Yes, this is the kind of changes that can be done with the 64colors version. 

It really is a manual process to do a gradient, frame by frame and line by line + selecting the colors (It took me 4 hours yesterday to do the changes i've published in the night).

But the colors can definitely be improved du to this new changes.

I won't be able to raise the number of colors on every animation, because palettes are shared between the scenes, and it would mean creating more palettes and then re-color a lot of animations. But I'm looking to improve here and there some screens that i'm definitively not happy with.

Oh wow, if the gradent takes that long, then use the time for something else!  It does look good.

Your data east logo looks great and at least that comes up very frequently.

I checked the LAST, ACTION, HERO MODES, i think Last is not colored when action and hero are orange and red.  When those are not selected, then thr LAST is yellow and the car is colored, else its just white.

Hi @dtatane,

I am so confused. it ist the MATCH SCENE  thats new and brilliant !

Here are my statements. You can see longplay videos in my dropbox to all of them>

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tk686iwtlcwdtj1/AAA8DLUNVP2dONiKmCkl-Uiga?dl=0

Magnet scenes - all okay

Red eye - all okay

5 millions - all okay

lah play  - dont know the changes, please check video

revert orange color - dont know the changes, please check video

skillshot(s) - i mean sometimes a short time black and white. Check videos i could make dumpfiles on sunday.

cat million  - looks nice i think

find benedict  - looks a little bit crazy with coloured doos. Maybe because benedicts head allways is also coloured ?

When find benedict, the smiley but even  more the "HAVE A NICE DAY" text is a little bit to dark i think. Could be more highlighted.

So thanks for quick working on it.

Best regrads, Flens

• Content Provider

Hi,

new changes today :

- cat millions animation (before countdown)

- 20 more time

- multiball ready (i realized the scene was not played correclty)

- find benedict : new color order in LCM mode, hope it is better (still trying to masterize this mode)

- have a nice day a bit brighter

- extraball

- high-scores

- 5 millions ready

- fireworks

- 6 balls play

- crane jackpot (after double jackpot) was not colored

Im on it.  Thank you for your speedy support!!!!

Quick video with the glass off, you can see what i mean with the LAH mode sequence, but wow, i mean wow.  I didnt capture the extra ball lit but it looks AMAZING IN GRADIENT!!!!   (I ALSO HAVE NOT TRIED MULTIBALL YET)

I got some award before red eye would end... missed that scene

Another video of some bad game play.

Edited by trueno92

20 hours ago, dtatane said:

@Flens

It would be great if you can dump the skillshot animations, beacause, I cannot find a way to have every frame colored based on the dumps I made from my pincab!

For skillshot, there are :

- the animation before you shoot (the guy swapping from left to right)

- 5 different positions when you shoot at the copter and miss

- 5 different positions when you shoot and hit

@dtatane > dumpfiles recorded. skillstart is with the complete beginning of a game. Including the guy swapping. 

5 different positions when you miss the right target i think it was easy to record. 

5 different positions was a little bit difficult. We try with 3 persons. Me recording on notebook, one persons who  looks and says "fire" and one who drops the targets. I hope all letters/targets are coorect. Please check and let me know.

Dumpfiles in my dropbox > https://www.dropbox.com/sh/26qvl34tn0ocsu3/AAC_40LzHqy-KuN3zZpQpH4ha?dl=0

Good luck and have a nice and beautiful sunday. Regards, Flens

I haven't tried yesterday's changes yet, i'll get the files on my pincab today to see the results.

@trueno92 Yes, this is the kind of changes that can be done with the 64colors version. 

It really is a manual process to do a gradient, frame by frame and line by line + selecting the colors (It took me 4 hours yesterday to do the changes i've published in the night).

But the colors can definitely be improved du to this new changes.

I won't be able to raise the number of colors on every animation, because palettes are shared between the scenes, and it would mean creating more palettes and then re-color a lot of animations. But I'm looking to improve here and there some screens that i'm definitively not happy with.

12 hours ago, dtatane said:

Hi,

new changes today : @dtatane

- cat millions animation (before countdown) looks great i think

- 20 more time looks great i think

- multiball ready (i realized the scene was not played correclty) dont seen so far

- find benedict : new color order in LCM mode, hope it is better (still trying to masterize this mode) looks better. But one pixel at the upper right side from benedicts head i think.

- have a nice day a bit brighter looks better. But only at the ladst second from screen. First one ore two seconds, its not highlited 

- extraball looks great i think

- high-scores looks great but when letters have an "X" ore an "A" there are shades in the letters

- 5 millions ready dont seen so far

- fireworks dont seen so far

- 6 balls play dont seen so far

- crane jackpot (after double jackpot) was not colored dont seen so far

- Erros in Bumperscores 100K and Million sometimes there. Colour of the last counts mixed up

- When receive LAH Value, 35 ord 50 Million, not coloured. Maybe also when scoring 40 ore 45 ?

unfortunally i hade some hard business working days until wednesday and running out of time.

Maybe @trueno92could check and create even more videos ?

Best regards all