Last Action Hero Colorization

• Content Provider

I guess you have to start from scratch.

To make a dump file just download any of my tools from here https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/tools/

Preferably the OSX if you have a mac at hand. It has the most precise timing. Turn off all energy saving settings. Then connect the display through USB to your PC, start the application and check "Create Dump File" in the lower left corner of the app. With the glass off, you can simply throw the ball to activate the different animations of the pin to record them. 

• 3 months later...
  • Content Provider

Hi,

I've actively working on the colorization of last action hero these last few days. I'm learning how to use pin2dmd editor with this nice rom full of scenes and animations ! It'll be a great challenge. It's too early to publish any files right now, but here are a few bits.

blow-out.gif

chicken.gif

end.gif

intro.gif

intro2.gif

intro3.gif

intro4.gif

lah-countdown.gif

logo.gif

skillshot.gif

smart.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

I would need some help on these sequences that I try to color. I'd like to use (and understand) how ColorMask Sequence and ColorMask Layered function form Pin2DMD Editor work.

ColorMask Sequence :
I tried to use the colormask sequence function for this scene : the roof - runaway
I colored every frame, and set a hash using a mask for each frame as explained on the tutorial.

But, it seems that only the first frame colorization loads and the whole scene is played using the frist frmae color, which makes the running guy not colored well. I check several recordings and everyone as the same sequence of frames. 

big-the-roof-countdown.gif.96451163eaab25db946007cd2c8bf8dc.gif

ColorMask Layered :
I found this scene interesting to learn how ColorMask Layered function works, as it will be useful for more complex dynamic scenes in this rom. This one is easy, the head of benedict runs from left to right. It could easily be done with "standard" ColorMask, but again, my point is to learn of to use the different features of Pin2DMD Editor.

beta-find-benedict.gif.3842ac749c55617eadc8b108af4e0a19.gif

I colored the first frame of the sequence with a standard coloring for the background. Then I added every signle frame from the recording using the CTRL+C / CTRL+R as explained in the tutorial.
I've set 2 masks :
0 - the 3 bottom lines to load the backgrouund
1 - the lines between the doors and the columns : which gives a unique hash for each position of the head

I've set all the hash of the frames and when I try to set a keyframe for the first frame to load the scene, it makes my whole file not loaded on the pin2DMD ( no color in any animation  at all ). 
I guess, there might be a problem with either my configuration or my usage of the function.

- Pin2DMD latest firmware 3.11
- Latests dmddevice.dll copied in VpinMame\PIN2DMD sub-folder
- DmdDevice.dll freezy 1.7.1 in VPinMAME folder

I've exported two vni files for this project : one without the keyframe set for the colorMAsk Layered scene, one with.
Here's a link to have a look at those 2 files : https://drive.google.com/open?id=13QSmyaufY3yq3vNjS8D0x8255ZOX3kTF

@dtatane  Looks like a nice job on the Coloring - Thank you

UpDate  5/3/2020
ColorMask Layered mode which is only supported by
lucky'1 dmddevice.dll for Pin2DMD only and not by current freezy versions ! - But hopefully freezy will supported soon
Freezy's Latest Now supports color layer mode  --  https://ci.appveyor.com/project/freezy/dmd-extensions/history
1.8 r122    -- The only file I used was the - DmdDevice.dll

lucky'1 Latest DmdDevice.dll  --- https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/blob/master/integration/pinmame/dmddevice.dll
If you have a Pin2DMD, You can take Advantage of the color layer mode by having both dll's in the VPinMane folder - (White Water color DMD uses Color layer mode)
By renaming freezy.dll to dmdscreen.dll and turning off pin2dmd in the dmddevice.ini.
If you have problems start here for some Help -- http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/4123-pin2dmd-colorprism-v30-firmware/?do=findComment&comment=44773

• 3 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Hi,

I've updated the dmddevice.dll file with lmateste version from freezy, and it loads ! 
The scenes are not currently working, but I will look into what was done for White Water to get through this.

In the meanwhile, i've been coloring new scenes, and I realize when playing that my recordings are not really good, I miss a few frames from here and there. Therefore I need to record everything exhaustively to have a better result.

Some new previews :

big-supercrane.gif.190d4a1ef39369e99e52922fc4092da3.gif

big-shoot-again.gif.2093fc3d6bc65b7b6f9241a62819293c.gif

big-ripper-kickback.gif.ada808c5b12c064d0f5a49dbdfba50af.gif

big-cat.gif.1a3b848e8a76b207bf247961daf2bcf2.gif

big-find-benedict.gif.d7c22a4f0f72b551acbaa8564faed255.gif

big-dyn-lit.gif.2fbe359bde650d174c8fca2c56e42104.gif

big-redeye.gif.4fc7bb9ffe2702ead4128680fde1d642.gif

big-save-danny.gif.2c8214386b6010b5ca8b880c063dafbf.gif

big-jack-slater.gif.b99570e25cc1a0a040589e8c715f97b8.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/28/2020 at 3:34 PM, dtatane said:

I would need some help on these sequences that I try to color. I'd like to use (and understand) how ColorMask Sequence and ColorMask Layered function form Pin2DMD Editor work.

ColorMask Sequence :
I tried to use the colormask sequence function for this scene : the roof - runaway
I colored every frame, and set a hash using a mask for each frame as explained on the tutorial.

But, it seems that only the first frame colorization loads and the whole scene is played using the frist frmae color, which makes the running guy not colored well. I check several recordings and everyone as the same sequence of frames. 

big-the-roof-countdown.gif.96451163eaab25db946007cd2c8bf8dc.gif

ColorMask Layered :
I found this scene interesting to learn how ColorMask Layered function works, as it will be useful for more complex dynamic scenes in this rom. This one is easy, the head of benedict runs from left to right. It could easily be done with "standard" ColorMask, but again, my point is to learn of to use the different features of Pin2DMD Editor.

beta-find-benedict.gif.3842ac749c55617eadc8b108af4e0a19.gif

I colored the first frame of the sequence with a standard coloring for the background. Then I added every signle frame from the recording using the CTRL+C / CTRL+R as explained in the tutorial.
I've set 2 masks :
0 - the 3 bottom lines to load the backgrouund
1 - the lines between the doors and the columns : which gives a unique hash for each position of the head

I've set all the hash of the frames and when I try to set a keyframe for the first frame to load the scene, it makes my whole file not loaded on the pin2DMD ( no color in any animation  at all ). 
I guess, there might be a problem with either my configuration or my usage of the function.

- Pin2DMD latest firmware 3.11
- Latests dmddevice.dll copied in VpinMame\PIN2DMD sub-folder
- DmdDevice.dll freezy 1.7.1 in VPinMAME folder

I've exported two vni files for this project : one without the keyframe set for the colorMAsk Layered scene, one with.
Here's a link to have a look at those 2 files : https://drive.google.com/open?id=13QSmyaufY3yq3vNjS8D0x8255ZOX3kTF

did you get this working,     I can do it for you

you don't need a colormask sequence ,  you can use a color mask

the only problem is

You need to  cut each individual frame  in the animation  and use the same mask  on each frame

their will about 20-30 individual frames  the rest will be frames that repeat over and over

once you have everything cut  use a mask that does not include the dynamic text like this

yellow highlight (if you make it small enough you can use the same mask on both scenes)

Capture.PNG

• Content Provider

Hi,

As mentionned in my message, i know I could use the colormask mode, but wanted to try this new feature. It took me 50+ frames colormasking the "big mistake" scene.. and I thought this new feature could help. But no, honestly, i couldn't make this work fine. But I also have some troubles with the "colormask sequence" or "ReplaceSequence".. 

Some new previews :

big-game_over.gif.af0e8710977f3d934d0db4c1d408aada.gif

big-extra-ball-lit.gif.edc0562c23aa648b98bd95fdb54ac1d5.gif

big-replay.gif.d8a5946dedcb9a4c84257e8c4e993127.gif

big-world-premiere.gif.25b8ec583bb84e4c9d05768334b405e4.gif

• Content Provider

Thanks to @lucky1, I'll be able to share a realpin file. I will do so in the next days. As I'm currently working again on this colorization, i'd like to fix some know issues first.

I've been struggling using the Color Mask sequence and ReplaceSequence mode and i have to go back to a frame by frame solution for some scenes.
Good thing is, as i'm testing my files, i get better in playing this table and unlock some scenes that i haven't recorded before. So in the end, it is a bit longer (close to 80h for now!) than I initially thought, but it's getting somewhere !

Here's a live demo : 

• Content Provider

Ok guys, time for an initial release !

Happy Animation GIF by Hotel Transylvania

You can find the Virtualpin files and Realpin files at : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Rh5xZ9qzxnSPz8TGmgsCotiDrO1nKEFn?usp=sharing

I'll publish updates on this drive, so do not hesitate to have a look at it, once a while. I won't bother managing versions for now, there's still too much to do !! It should be somewhere around 60/70% done.
Your feedback on color choice and bugs report will be apreciated 

If you enjoy the job done and would like to keep me motivated, do not heistate to donate for a coffee, a beer or a pizza !

TO DO :
- LAH sequence : 
-- Action + Hero + Last (last in the end) : to be recorded / colored

French ROM support :
- Missile intel : activé / desactivé à colorier

- inserer pièces : doit etre coloriser comme il faut (en francais au lieu d'afficher le message en anglais)
- save danny : coloriser le minuteur
- ripper-prime
- crane runaway / bloquer grue : nouveaux triggers ajoutés
- score : créer sur le mot clé "boule"
- ajout du 5 millions allumé

- cat millions : nouveau trigger ajouté

DONE : 

03/06/2021:

- 6 balls play - changed the color to test

- magnet : revert changes to keyframes

- add "bumper" score colors (will need adjustements)

- fix 6balls colors apparing in dyn feature

- big score (x00.000, x.000.000, xx.000.000) : change abit the colors to contrast more the gradiant from yellow to red like in lah logo

- end "match" new colors

19/04/2021 : 

- new version of Double jackpot

- end of play chicken scene 

- cat millions coat color

- super jackpot : hide score during transisition

- jackpot : hide score during transition

- lah-logo pal switch to correct bug

11/04/2021:
- popcorn cup design modified on "will jack slater..."
- 3 / 7 / 10 / 15 / 30 millions colors changed

- chicken scene explosion changed 

- ball1 / ball2 locked colors colors changed

- jackpot / double jackpot / super jackpot explosion color changed

- lah-score color changed

21/02/2021 :
- 1.13 start screen is now colored
- skillshot : tried colormask sequence -> let's try
- chicken countdown : I revert some changes and completed missing scenes
- Benedict BOOST : changed the colors in big mistake which shares the same animations

19/02/2021 - New officiel release 1.1 for VPIN / 1.0 for RPIN
- skillshot : added missing winninq sequences
- changed the color mask for the initial menu to be compatible with several dates for ROMs
- changes some colors in various scenes + added some details

07/02/2021:
- skillshot - checked the "skillshot-end3" d-mask
- catch the red-eye : changed the d-mask
- start-display ROM # : changed the color to cover various ROM #

23/01/2020:
- Skillshot : added missing scenes
- SmartMissile : converted to ColorMask
- Will jack slater loose : changed to colormask
- LAH Logo : fixed logo not flashing
- Crane runaway : changed detection mask
- Double-jackpot dountdown : fixed detection mask issue

16/01/2021:
- added missing trigger for 15 MILLION
- x for multiball colored
- added missing frames for Insert coins
- bug with "ACTION" corrected (detection mask modified)

15/01/2021 :
- changed the drugs screen
- add "6 balls" in color mask
- changed play chicken 2nd scene trigger
- changed cat mlillions color mask
- extra ball sequence changed to color mask
- added missing frame at "have a nice day"
- added missing frames at "double bonus"
- added missing frames at dyn feature lit sequence
"Shoot Left Scoop to sell tickets" is all red when it switches from "theater capacity" : done
- Ball draining : missing frames -> change the detection mask
- wolrd premiere change to color mask mode
- big mistake animation : changed to colormask

14/01/2021:
- super jackpot with balls
- super jackpot countdown (with crane)
- double jackpot countdown (completed missing scenes at the end - crane on the left)
- change again the ball of the data esast logo in attract mode
- 6 balls play end  scene changed (replaced COLOR MASK MODE by Palette replace)

02/01/2021:
- change lah logo versions from attract mode back to Replace Mode
- added replay end frames in CM mode  when "replay" is displayed and flashing
- trying CMS Mode for ball in, data east logo in attract mode.. (3rd frame of dumped file)
- added a CMS frame for "6balls" end frame
- added a keyframe for don't drink colorisation (was colored by not trgierred.. forgotten in previous files..)
- added end frames in CM mode for M-BALL (when MBALL is flashing) + changed a bit the colorization
- changed the skillshot winning sequence to CM and added keyframes
- changed extra-ball lit scene to CM mode and added corresponding keyframes

24/12:
- data east logo in attract mode : the ball in in ColorMask. I've left the  "Data East logo" in replace mode due to color choices, let me know if you see red frames.
- dyn feat lit / dyn-feat-explode : changed to CM
- magnet sequences (last / action / hero) : changed to CM
- insert coin : changed to CM + support for French ROM
- benedict found : changed to CM
- end-scn (game over scrolling) : changed to CM
- play chicken : changed back to Replace Mode (was changed to ReplaceSequence Mode) : let me know if it works
- ball 1 locked / ball2locked : changed back to Replace mode (was in ReplaceSeuence)
- dyn feat - big mistake : changed back to replace mode (was in replace sequence mode)
- push start (both versions with our without border) : changed to CM mode

05/12 :  v1.0.0 released

18/11:
- reupload with corrected LCM scenes (red eye and find ripper)
13/11:
- magnet sequences and variations converted to ReplaceSequence
- big-mistake converted to RS
- ball-locekd 1 & 2 converted to RS
- benedict-found converted to RS
- cat millions converted to RS
- chicken converted to RS
- end scene "game over" converted to RS
- find benedict converted to RS
- goto movies converted to RS
- grab_gun converted to RS
- insert coins converted to RS
- jack slter (multiball) converted to RS
- kick-back ripper converted to RS
- lah (end seq) converted to RS
- lah logo converted to RS
- multiball start animation converted to RS

08/11:
- Initial world-premiere countdown colorization
- LAH sequences completely reframed to cover almost all configurations (missing 1 record)
- death-save-scene converted to Replace Sequence
- beginning converted to Replace Sequence
- 2 out of X scenes converted to Replace Sequence
- chicken converted to Replace Sequence

03/11:
- dyn-feature lit converted to ReplaceSequence
- end (match) sceneconverted to ReplaceSequence
- extraball lit converted to ReplaceSequence

29/10 :
- push start animation x 2 versions : redefined keyframes and switched to replaceSequence
- dyn_feature explosion : changed to replaceSequence Mode
- ripper bounty : animation switched to ReplaceQuence, riper score : added a keyframe
- dyn-feay-blow-out : switched to replaceSequence
- Tilt : changed to colormask

28/10 :
- Tales of the crypt (attract) : changed to colormask + new keyframes
- skillshot : added missing frames
- data-east logo : corrected error 
- find-benedict : changed color palette positionning 
- red-eye : correction done by Lucky1 on LCM

16/10:
-benedict not found 2nd version
- 15 millions

- Ball2 locked
- Double jackpot : added missing scene for double jackpot
- Lt Dekker : added SUPER SPIN 1M
- Cousin's franck : reframed -> to be tested  + added end scene
Since 12/09:
- world premiere intro
- red eye countdown : eyes shot - i did a few frames, but i feel that there are still a lot missing
- Find benedict countdown : change trigger mask to allow it to work with opened doors, i finally used LCM  for this scene, seems ok => a few frames keep been uncolored ... I'm trying new detection  mask mapping => to be tested
- cat millions : change mice color to match the first scene
- Multi-ball film countdown => change the color of the icecream stuck in the guy's head
- Save Danny countdown => change slater's jeans color !
- Bonus : remap and new key frames
- Gotomovies countdown : add a ball animation not colored (don't know how to do that) + colors to change
- Ripper kick-back : some missing scenes at the end of animation
- Extra-ball : change to replace mode done, I added addionnal frames to covere the endind transition -> to be tested, one palette have been creating some problems, I realised this replacesequence was using it, I reassigned the palette => to be tested
- LFS animation (before 3rd ball) : to colorize
- Skillshot : end scene while copter on the left -> to colorize
- Ripper bounty : to colorize
- smart missile deactivated : some missed frames at the end changed from ReplaceSequence to Replace + added a ColorMask frame fopr the last frame => to be tested
- "hero" dyn feature : not triggered correctly
- "action" and "hero" magnet -> check triggering frames
- 5 millions yellow signs -> not colored one some of them are won
- lottery : winning animation to colorize
- the roof runaway : reframed + added the missing end sequence
- 20 more time animation : to colorize
- Big mistake countdown : crane to clorize -some missing frames have been recorded -> to colorize quite a scene, it took 167 CM frames to colorize and close to 200 keyframes ! Hope I didn't miss anything => to be testesd
- skillshot : added a missing endind sequence
- Grab gun : add additional CM sequence
- LAH sequence : 
-- LAH beginning : ok
-- Last animation : ok
-- Last + Action animation : ok
-- Action + Hero : to be recorded to colorize
-- Last + Action + Hero animation : ok
-- Last + Hero : to be recorded to colorize
-- Action animation : ok
-- Action + LAst : ok
-- Hero animation : ok
- End Bonus : new colors suggested by Yopi 
- Multiball jackpot : I'm trying new colors, let's see if it looks nice ! Looks good !
- Danger : added missing frames
- Play chicken countdown : some missing frames (with red truck)
- Ripper blow-out end scene => masks changes => to be tested with different scores (one mask use the spaces in the zero holes on the right)
- Great game sequence : to colorize
- Fireworks : to colorize
- Play chicken 2nd seq : to test

Hi

I have tested on real pinball LAH and its very good for the moment !! Great job

I have download the last files but i have a score during the game in totally red with white point at the middle... do you have the same ?

Thank you for your job ???

20200913_185206.jpg

• Content Provider

Salut Yopi,

J'utilise la rom en anglais avec crédits, donc certaines certaines comme le score peuvent ne pas s'afficher correctement à cause du masque de détection. Pour le score, j'utilise la zone avec le mot ball... donc boule, ça passe pas ! 

Je viens d'ajouter un masque sur le "free play" qui doit être positionné au même endroit en attendant de faire mieux, je te laisse tester.
Si tu vois d'autres anomalies avec la rom française n'hésite pas à m'en faire part ! Et je vais voir pour récupérer de mon côté la rom en française, je ne savais pas qu'il y en avait une !

Je ne savais pas que tu étais Français... Vraiment félicitation pour ton travail!

Je l'ai installé Hier et la fin de certaine scène (la scène d'intro avec l’hélicoptère par exemple) passe en full rouge sur la dernière seconde. C'est le cas pour pas mal de scène chez moi. Peut être est ce pour les même raison. Je check si ma rom n'est pas en Français mais j'en doute.

Je te fais une vidéo asap si tu as besoin. Dans tous les cas c'est vraiment génial. Merci beaucoup.?