Last Action Hero Colorization

@dtatane  my apologies if it sounds like we are rushing you!!  But every new beta is like giving my game a new reason to play!!   I even got the MOZART music to play on hitting double super jackpot, but still your highlights are awesome.  

I think another small scene you can try is the, DONT MOVE ball saver scene when the ball drains during the ball saver time.

Also another one is after the double ramp shot to the center scoop, Franks second cousin house explosion.  That always plays the same, and no changes to anything that would overlay on the scene that could be a trigger.

You can add these to your list of ideas.  The explosion house could be digitized from the movie as a complete replacement i think... or downsample the movie clip and use the beta editor to complete from keyframe?   It sounds like you are learning a lot and having good digital art therapy!!  We thank you for your work!!

• Content Provider
5 hours ago, bushav said:

@dtatane how do you change delay if needed.  I can not get it to "save" a delay change in Batman Forever.  It always reverts back to the original delay assigned to the scene.

@bushav I'm turning this problem around using a single frame scene that is triggered on the last frame. It suits both Vpin and Rpin needs as time might be different.

Do not use the "replace sequence mode" that is causing issues.

Hope it helps !

Really like what you did with the text window boarder!! It looks great with the color cycle. 

For background coloring, you can add EXTRA BALL, as that play all the way, no interruptions.

Another scene with no mid scene trigger is Big Mistake.  It plays to the end without any interactive change part way to mess up the color.

The masking for the pop bumper is better now.   Mainly a color but after it says ONE MILLION, they all turn yellow.  Its not a big problem and looks good.

Edited by trueno92

17 hours ago, dtatane said:

Hi,

New update tonight with some corrections :

- At last, I recorded the action + hero + last sequence that was missing... it is now colored. Doing so, I also changed and completed the colors on the 3 variations of "action" (ammo + red shirt) :

big-lah-action.gif.71d52c297460be600324a6437896bda7.gif

- I changed the LCM to the bumper, it should be better : left is yellow, middle is orange and right is red. But i only have 100.000 value, how do you get the One million ??? is it only on ROM 1.13 ?

@dtatane: yes.. In 1.13 there are at some stages more points then on the 1.12 ROM. Some bugfixes in gameplay in that version also. Sounds.

So did we have to create dumpfiles for coloring those points ?.

- I changed the palette for the (instant info) and all screens with the surronding "border" - the text should always be brighter (but with less shadow effect on it in order to cover all variations) - I revert the change on the border to keep it to a single color, the 3 lah colors made the border look a bit messy

Sorry @Flens I cannot change the time for world record scene. As it is a "color mask" to display a changing variable (score), I cannot change the delay. The frames are the ones sent by the ROM, not more, not less.

Go to movies, I tried sending out a lot of balls in without being able to see the errors. Could you try to capture a video of it please ?

@dtatane: okay. Understand

@trueno92 I know it takes time, but it's progressing ! 

In the meanwhile I had a look at the beta version of the editor to do some testing (I see a new version was published today, i should check again the new features).

And you know, I'm also wasting time trying coloring some scenes, changing some colors and a lot of this tries are not published because i'm not happy with them. For example, I tried 3 different backgrounds for "play chicken", each time, I colored more or less 30 frames to have a look at the result, then tweak a bit, change again to find out something that I like.

I definitely want to improve the intro, I just haven't figure out yet the right choices I will enjoy, and get enough time to work on it.

Files are on the drive !

• 3 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

It's been a while, but I've been working on improving the intro. I've spent 20+ hours, so I hope you'll enjoy the result.

Still some more work to do before putting the files on the drive. I'll keep you posted. Meanwhile, here are some previews. Putting a background made it possible to have the copter painted grey/black as in the movie. 

big-intro.gif.b04d369d09b97aa6ecdda770f399077a.gif

Old :

New :

intro-v2.gif.8de32168ad186f0f33020fe4eddcba2c.gif

intro2-v2.gif.20b3a9c870a17adbe1a5f9134aa366b1.gif

Old :

intro3.gif.9da5bbf595994f9852878fe3323c4e9b.gif

New :

intro3-v2.gif.366b504918344b5281b6e9e3dc73881d.gif

• Content Provider

Still some work to do on M-BALL ready, so not be surprised some frames are missing on this one... 

As I changed numerous palettes, please report if any other animations were impacted and look weird ! I'm currently abroad and cannot test the file on my pin2dmd. Hope it looks good !

The files are on the drive !

Old :

mball-ready-car.gif.c3852f5ca7c6278e9daa038f63258700.gif

mball-ready.gif.868c1ab35d27413a916632d691d713a9.gif

big-mistake.gif.e3ed50a85697a8dbe0f2c5b1c1ed7cb7.gif

New :

mball-ready-car-v2.gif.78d79c2dc65fe6fbd6b1e87519adff1c.gif

2060399057_mball-readyv2.gif.beea1f5f8e6df440e23d126ef8bc424e.gif

I had to got rid of the score in order to have enough colors... it'll display "HURRY" instead

big-mistake-v2.gif.454237d23c3efb2d51bf8ebe060bc7cf.gif

1220659614_smart-missilev2.gif.6e237b7268430a55e87227b877cfb61f.gif

Will be downloading shortly and will upload a vid when im by my machine later today!! Your work looks fantastic, Dtatane!!! U need to be nominated for pin2dmd artist thats pushing the boundries of modern pin2dmd

Edited by trueno92

Playthrough with a few of my unique comments and recommendations!

I get thru almost all the modes in this play thru, unfortunately just short 2!!!

Glass was only off for ball 1 lol

Oh and please add more easter eggs!! As on the big mistake mode!! 🤪

My suggestions:

Paint background yellow orange fade on Dynamite Feature Lit scene. [1:04]

Replace ball 2 and ball 3 skill shot animation with your awesome helicopter 

Replace DONT MOVE SHOOT AGAIN with your Arnie's Gunfire scene from big mistake.

All these scene play many times in a single game, so it would be satisfying to see the dmd light up with your work more frequently during game llay.

Edited by trueno92

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @dtatane,

i was on holiday for some time.
What I see here looks good.

There is still an error at "go to the movies".

When you get two balls ore more after a few seconds the screen is mixed up with colors and graphics when you hit a captive ball again and get points.

@trueno92 knows that problem too, we talk about it .

Best regards, Flens

Edited by Flens

10 hours ago, dtatane said:

New update with the m-ball scene finished... 

Thanks for your feedback, I'll take into account your suggestions !

Really excited to see the changes!! Hope my suggestions are possible, honestly i am not sure how well the scene substitution works!!

On 8/5/2021 at 11:59 AM, dtatane said:

New update with the m-ball scene finished... 

Thanks for your feedback, I'll take into account your suggestions !

Really excited to see the changes!! Hope my suggestions are possible, honestly i am not sure how well the scene substitution works!!

@dtatanethis work is superb!!

Here is a clip of my play thru.   Multiball sequence looks fantastic @ 4:20

Here is a shot of the GO TO MOVIES color masking issue.  Minor issue and does not affect other masks after this sequence.

Good work on the LAST ACTION HERO MODE, saw the HERO animation does not have the green helicopter!  Nice job!

Edited by trueno92

• 2 weeks later...

20210820-140524.jpg

(Blue screen is from the movie)

Would it be possible to add background to the MBALL scene when the villian is tossing the dynamite?  Is it a pixel-by-pixle colorization to animate the color fade like in the match screen?  

Can you copy the match background as an animated fade effect background for the Mball scene?

Edited by trueno92

On 8/7/2021 at 3:48 AM, trueno92 said:

@dtatanethis work is superb!!

Here is a clip of my play thru.   Multiball sequence looks fantastic @ 4:20

Here is a shot of the GO TO MOVIES color masking issue.  Minor issue and does not affect other masks after this sequence.

Good work on the LAST ACTION HERO MODE, saw the HERO animation does not have the green helicopter!  Nice job!

yes, that is the mistake.
When the time is up and you still have two or more balls in play and then hit a captive ball, the graphics get very confused.
Looks very bad and its so sad because that mission is great. Not nice for the overall impression.
Maybe  you @dtatane can fix it.

Best regards, Flen

• Content Provider

Hi, oh my.. you're right!

I need to rework this scene... I am now a bit more skilled using LCM, I should find out the solution !!

In addition, I'm not so happy with the color (which was made by my daughter).. !

I'll have a look at it.

Hi Damian,

would be great if you could fix the scene.

The colours are no problem for me. Seen much more uglier in other projects.

I think your dauther is talented, keep her as an assistant !

Best regards,

Holger (Flens)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Hi @trueno92

Here's a video where you can see the M-Ball background you've worked on at 3:13 !

I'm not talented as you are for commenting live the video, but I'll improve in the next ones !

Spending some time again on playing the game makes me realize the huge potential left on many scenes for background, color swap improvement and so on... !

By the way, I realized that the goto movies countdown scene was not completely fixed. The background still goes to blue when the ball pass by the screen.. I mixed the files with onedrive/G drive before passing them on to you. Could you please have a look at gotomovies_LCM and change the blue colors on frame 2 to 5 (not on frame 1). You should replace each blue from group A1 of the palette to grey group A4. To change quickly, you select fill in tool with size 3 and you click once each color... it'll change all the pixels of the same color in the frame. It's rather quick to do !

I'm not sure it the solution... but it is worth trying !

image.thumb.png.da52c144c130627678373b15b32a28a5.png

image.thumb.png.2a498efadc211e337a6efa35e3497e28.png