Ordering EVO PCBs at chinese manufactures questions and help

lucky1

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, bushav said:

It’s not the wrong part. If you notice in the picture the machine was indexed incorrectly and tried to poke the component through the board in the wrong spot. This bent the plug and cracked the board. 

I would check the revised BOM sent to you, this part has been OOS recently and they've been swapping it for the right angle on the BOM which is wrong. You can just use the 4 Pin Molex for the Stern 5V at the top instead (CH3.96-4A)

Also these are manually soldered through hole components so nothing would have been soldered on yet.

I’m sure you guys are correct and this is an attempt at a substitution. When I looked at it early early this morning it appeared the board was cracked. I think it’s a reflection now that I’m awake. 

I am trying to communicate a solution with PCBWay. It’s tough with the language barrier. I have sent pictures which will hopefully get us understanding each other. 

For another project I’m doing locally I have the exact plug on back order with an October 15 expected ship date. 

WooHoo!  Boards made it from China today.  It looks like one alignment hole and two screw holes are going to need enlarging slightly.  They are about 1/16" misplaced.  No problem adjusting with a Dremel tool.  Is this a common adjustment or did I just wind up with a random panel or board misalignment on this run?

This is going to be a fun addition to my Lethal Weapon 3 and now I can preview live with the editor on my desktop.  Yipeeee!  I hope software and activation goes great.  

NewBoard.jpg

I guess I am a member of the "can't get this DIY project done in a DIY manner" club.  Five boards - none going into DFU mode.  I can see "STM32 Bootloader" as a device in device manager.  I have a green light on the board.  I press DFU button and while holding it I press and release "Reset".  I can hear the windows chime and the device manager shows the device disappear and then reappear but I never see it in DFU mode.  I downloaded ZADIG and updated USB drivers.  I also tried the DFSu Cube application as well as the legacy loader.  No luck.  Tried all five boards. REflowed L1

L1 voltage 2.98 and 2.98

BAT60 3.28 and 2.98

TS 2940 4.78 and 3.28

C15 2.98

Is this 2.98 that I am getting in various places too low?  I jumpered across BAT60 and got 3.2 on L1 and no difference noted in boot.

The capacitors scattered around the CPU, most show 2.9 on one leg.   I've tested voltage on three boards and they are all the same. 

All the boards seem to test voltages the same (of the two or three I have compared).  I am using a 10 amp 13.8 volt power supply and inputing on the 8-36 volt DC terminals.  I'm really upset about my progress on this project.  I have so much time invested in the Batman Forever colorization and now the actual hardware.  I wish I could make some progress here :(

SOLVED!!!  12:01 EST.  Time for a beer.

If you can see your STM Device in Windows Device Manager but you can not get it into DFU mode then read the above post and install the new driver.  Instantly I had the DFU mode working.  Only it took me 12 hours to get there.  I had installed new driver earlier but it was not acceptable.  The above one was.

Pin2DMD - Copy.jpg

Edited by bushav

I had some boards made, and ran into quite a bit of trouble getting DFU to work.  I decided to just try programming them with my ST-Link and was able to do so.  I was able to flash and verify that the program was correct in memory, but the program only seems to be running immediately after programming with the ST-Link if I check "Run after programming"  I am writing starting at address 0x08000000, but once I reset the MCU either by removing power or with the reset pin, the program no longer executes properly, and the ST-Link debugger shows the program counter at address 0xFFFFFFE.

I'm not very familiar with the STM32 family, am I possibly missing some setting that is causing this?  This has happened on two boards btw, and I have verified that the BOOT0 pin is held low.

• Content Provider
6 hours ago, 1nfinitum said:

I had some boards made, and ran into quite a bit of trouble getting DFU to work.  I decided to just try programming them with my ST-Link and was able to do so.  I was able to flash and verify that the program was correct in memory, but the program only seems to be running immediately after programming with the ST-Link if I check "Run after programming"  I am writing starting at address 0x08000000, but once I reset the MCU either by removing power or with the reset pin, the program no longer executes properly, and the ST-Link debugger shows the program counter at address 0xFFFFFFE.

I'm not very familiar with the STM32 family, am I possibly missing some setting that is causing this?  This has happened on two boards btw, and I have verified that the BOOT0 pin is held low.

Please read here 

and here

Yeah, I've scoured the threads here, both of the ones you've linked included.  As far as the DFU goes, I've tried just about every suggestion listed.  I've checked voltage on all supply pins, removed BAT60J and replaced with a bridge, tried multiple different cables, both Windows 10 on dfusedemo, stm32cubeprogrammer, and Linux with dfu-tool, reflowed L1, verified expected behavior from the DFU and RESET buttons.  I'm at a total loss as to what is going on with respect to that; and I'm not too concerned about it at the end of the day if I can flash it with an ST-Link.  As it turns out, I did just manage to figure it out.  Disabling option byte BFB2 for dual-bank boot is now allowing the MCU to boot into the program every time.  For reference, the text on the option is:

Unchecked: Dual-bank boot disabled.

Boot can be performed either from Flash memory bank 1 or from system memory depending on boot pin state (default)
Checked: Dual-bank boot enabled.  Boot is always performed from system memory.

Unchecked is where it needed to be, but even though that's the default, it wasn't for me.  I don't know why it was different, and it seems like DFU is still not quite working the way it should; but I'm not too concerned.  I can flash them now, and I'll test with a display tomorrow sometime.  I expect the rest to go fairly smooth.

Edited by 1nfinitum

• Content Provider
7 hours ago, 1nfinitum said:

I had some boards made, and ran into quite a bit of trouble getting DFU to work.

Are you having issues entering DFU mode all together? Generally if you have a batch of say 5 boards, all 5 will have an issue if it's the PC, driver, USB cable etc. If you were able to get into DFU mode on all your other boards using the same PC/USB Cable setup, then it could be an issue specific to the board.

Since you have tried a lot of the hardware fixes, another issue has been random solder splash that can bridge certain components. Someone had a bridge on their USB connector which wasn't as obvious to spot, I've had some as well which can be blocking the USB section which could explain why the SWD worked but USB didn't. It could also be something else entirely.

Just have a check over the boards to see if there is any stray solder bridging anything that shouldn't be bridged.

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, antoniomauro said:

Hi,

i need to find a replacement for  STM32F427VIT6/STM32F429VIT6 easy to get in europe.

Could someone help me?

Is possible to use the ST from a STM32F4 Nucleo board on the EVOBOARD pcb?

STM32F407VGT6 does also work

• Content Provider

I haven´t ordered any EVO 128x32 for more than 2 years now, so I don´t have any experience about replacement parts for parts currently hard to get. Maybe others who have ordered recently can share their experience here.

At digikey you can select both  items and compare them side by side. If there is no difference, they are very most likely compatible. It looks like there is no difference between STM32F427VIT6 and STM32F427VIT6TR that´s all I can say . 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

First off, thank-you very much @lucky1for all the time and effort you put into this! 

Just used your video and files to place my first order of 5 in at PCBway. Hopefully can get my vPin setup, along with my two Gottliebs (Gladiatiors and R911).  Just wanted to share the last email I got from PCBway, looks like they didnt have any issue with the BOM, only notes I got back were on a 4 pin switch and the screw terminals.

Figure this may help some other noobies ordering if they wanted to get an idea of latest prices....... STM32 prices- $78 a pop now! Yikes. 

Total Shipped to the US is roughly $650 for 5 units (they make you pay paypal fees), I think there was some additional discounts applied being my first order.

image.png.923ad74dd4f0204090474f056cc0d13e.png

image.thumb.png.aad6ac88e620df0c981b24870c6622ed.png