Ordering EVO PCBs at chinese manufactures questions and help

lucky1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Content Provider
56 minutes ago, reinkc said:

I know I'm going to get blasted for asking, but would STM32F4 clones work? Like the GD32F407VET6?

Thanks

I don´t know wether they work, but they are definitely not supported. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2022 at 1:39 PM, reinkc said:

The display is turning this strange color whenever a SD card is present at boot. Colors are normal when no SD Card is present.

I have loaded latest code, reset config, and tried a few different SD cards with same result. Does anyone have an inclination of what the problem could be and where I can start looking?

PXL_20220120_193337481.MP.jpg

Little more on this, I noticed the SD Card shield is grounded on this board, when on all my other boards it isn't. The 4 solder pads that secure the SD card module are all also grounded, when on my other boards they aren't either. What's interesting is in the pin layout I have, it looks like the solder pads indeed should be grounded. Should these pads and the metal shield have continuity to ground or no? Thanks

image.png.62ce8574301341e7407bcdce2043810b.png

2 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Technically it should not make any difference because the SD card case is made out of plastic .The SD slot case is only grounded to shield from radio interference.

I guess that's true, I'm just finding it hard to think it's a coincidence that this issue only occurs when an SD card is inserted. Seems like something is shorting out there.

Looking to place an order and trying to find alternative compatible official STM part numbers for the CPU as the cost keeps going up. I know it has been mentioned here that STM32F407VGT6, STM32F405VGT6, STM32F429VIT6 will work. I have been doing a bit of filtering on Mouser to find compatible options. Folks have called out that it needs to meet at least these criteria LQFP-100 STM32F4 with at least 168Mhz, 1MB Flash and 192kb RAM. I have done some filtering and created two lists, that might be compatible, all are of course LQFP-100

250 kB and 189 MHz options

Here is a comparison on Mouser

image.thumb.png.1461a0f6b42f7d573c63a2ec33963c71.png

192 kB and 168 MHz

image.thumb.png.e26f6db6195b87eb056a52284798d4df.png

I have also attached this info in CSV files.

I was super restrictive with the filtering conditions trying to align as closely as possible to the known compatible parts list but this is not my expertise, any feedback on if these might work? Am I off doing something crazy by asking? 

250kb-189mhz.csv 192 kB and 168 MHz.csv

55 minutes ago, MCtrickyD said:

Looking to place an order and trying to find alternative compatible official STM part numbers for the CPU as the cost keeps going up. I know it has been mentioned here that STM32F407VGT6, STM32F405VGT6, STM32F429VIT6 will work. I have been doing a bit of filtering on Mouser to find compatible options. Folks have called out that it needs to meet at least these criteria LQFP-100 STM32F4 with at least 168Mhz, 1MB Flash and 192kb RAM. I have done some filtering and created two lists, that might be compatible, all are of course LQFP-100

250 kB and 189 MHz options

image.thumb.png.1461a0f6b42f7d573c63a2ec33963c71.png

192 kB and 168 MHz

image.thumb.png.e26f6db6195b87eb056a52284798d4df.png

I have also attached this info in CSV files.

I was super restrictive with the filtering conditions trying to align as closely as possible to the known compatible parts list but this is not my expertise, any feedback on if these might work? Am I off doing something crazy by asking? 

250kb-189mhz.csv 5.11 kB · 3 downloads 192 kB and 168 MHz.csv 4.64 kB · 2 downloads

list looks good but doesn't really matter unfortunately as afaik none of them is in stock

In theory, would a microcontroller like the Pico be able to perform the functions needed for pin2dmd? Obviously would be a page 1 rewrite of code. I've seen them do some early video game console emulation, so thought maybe it was powerful enough to do this as well.

• Content Provider
20 minutes ago, reinkc said:

In theory, would a microcontroller like the Pico be able to perform the functions needed for pin2dmd? Obviously would be a page 1 rewrite of code. I've seen them do some early video game console emulation, so thought maybe it was powerful enough to do this as well.

In theory I would say yes. Practically I can only say I did that job once to make the code work on a teensy and there were a lot of hardware peripheral function I used on the STM32 which simply weren´t available on the teensy. I had to find workarounds to make it work and in the end it still does not work as good (flickering etc) The problem is that this application is very timing critical. A FPGA or a FPGA with a hardware ARM core would be the better alternative.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, its the STM that is killing the quote.

Unfortunately this is a non-starter for most of us on a budget.

$1642 for 5 bare evo boards...

Hello,

Attached plz find the parts quotation and focus on the contents in "Notes". Some parts takes 7-10 working days --because they are imported from Digikey or Mouser to make quality 100% assured. Some parts need further information, plz check and reply one by one in the price list directly.

If any components has special requirements, plz inform me in advance. For instance, the soldering temperature needs to be controlled,  sensitive component needs to avoid water, LED needs to be firmly packaged.

The lead time for the whole order is about 24-28 days.

The final quotation for 5 pcs PCBA as below 

Pcb cost: $86.2 

Assembly cost: $30

Parts cost: $1526.67 

Total handling fee: $1642.87

Plz check design file, bom list, centroid file again to ensure all is correct before payment. You can pay directly in our system via Paypal or credit card. For bank transfer, it charges extra 30$ bank handling fee. Invoice can be download from Pcbway system to arrange payment accordingly.

Waiting for your kind early reply to proceed : )

2022-04-12 
-----------------------------------

Thanks and Best Regards.

Judith Yang

Sales Representative 
Contact Number: 0571-85317665

www.pcbway.com/1C

PCBWay.com | Follow us Facebook  and Twitter . 

Edited by phoerber

Found these on Ali:

STM32F427VIT6 STM STM32 STM32F STM32F427 STM32F427V STM32F427VI IC MCU FLASH LQFP-100

US $27.35, while PCBWay is quoting $283.50 per.

I wonder:

Are these fakes?

Would PCBWay allow us to supply this part on its own?

With a 10x+ increase in the cost of this one crucial part, would love to get some opinions....

Edited by phoerber
Addl details

https://www.newark.com/stmicroelectronics/stm32f427vit6/microcontroller-mcu-32-bit-cortex/dp/99W9927?CMP=KNC-GUSA-GEN-KWL-DSA-Control-AB-STMICROELECTRONICS&mckv=s8MBp8QbI_dc|pcrid|546362879408|plid||kword||match||slid||product||pgrid|17246755221|ptaid|dsa-1321102231649|&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxtSSBhDYARIsAEn0thSZqz5ddl3BbvUmiyLZEMJBT3iMmKx13dGCdtvg6Beb2viFZDXKZicaAkqUEALw_wcB

I suspect this craziness with the price of the STM32F427VIT6 from PCBWay is temporary. Newark now has these available for B/O (May 15th) and for those of us who want to pool resources to do our builds 10+ STM32F427VIT6's are priced at ~ $21.50 per.

For me I have several other projects to keep me busy in the meantime....

19 hours ago, phoerber said:

I suspect this craziness with the price of the STM32F427VIT6 from PCBWay is temporary. Newark now has these available for B/O (May 15th) and for those of us who want to pool resources to do our builds 10+ STM32F427VIT6's are priced at ~ $21.50 per.

I'll be shocked if I see Newark/Digikey/Mouser with any stock of these chips by mid-March. Don't hold your breath. Many of us have been at this for a few years and have gone through the original $8 per chip price up to the current insanity. Lead time on most of the supply sites has been close to a year. Unless Newark has worked some magic, I wouldn't bank on seeing anything available through them by the posted date. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, it's just the reality of the situation.

1 hour ago, dzorbas said:

I'll be shocked if I see Newark/Digikey/Mouser with any stock of these chips by mid-March. Don't hold your breath. Many of us have been at this for a few years and have gone through the original $8 per chip price up to the current insanity. Lead time on most of the supply sites has been close to a year. Unless Newark has worked some magic, I wouldn't bank on seeing anything available through them by the posted date. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, it's just the reality of the situation.

Not at all, I totally get it. Just trying to share the current plight with all my comrades here newb and veteran alike...

23 hours ago, dzorbas said:

Just a quick update/development from PCBWay. Looks like they are increasing the assembly cost when your own parts are supplied.

Me

2022-04-14 13:35:49

I can accept, but before doing so - how much that will add to the cost exactly?

Judith

2022-04-14 15:17:12

Assembly fee will be changed from $30 to $88.

I went over my last invoice from Jan and saw that the MCUs were charged $51 USD per. I'm with @dzorbas , not only sourcing is a challenge but pricing is outrageous.

Stay tuned for more fun...

23 hours ago, dzorbas said:

I have had an order in with PCBWay for 30 boards since 3/12/2022. After many weeks of delay getting the STM32f's finally got those just to have Shanghai lockdown put an indefinite hold on importing some more basic components. PCBWay suggested I just have them build the boards without them but I said no and asked they work with their supplier to find alternative parts. They suggested (see 1st quote below) subbing D2,D3,D4 which are specified as SK54BTR with SK54B which seems to be acceptable based on the conversation antoniomauro started a year ago  (see 2nd quote below). Not sure about swapping Q1 specified as FC4SDCBMF8.0-T1 for 6CS08000F20UCG. I think this is the correct datasheet for the proposed Q1 sub. The specified part has a Frequency Stability of ±50ppm and Frequency Tolerance ±30ppm where the sub is Frequency Stability of ±30ppm and Frequency Tolerance ±20ppm are some examples of deviation from part to part.

Can anyone confirm these substitutions should work? Thank you so much!

Hi,there still no in stock supplier, we checked and suggest to use D2,D3,D4:SK54B Q1:6CS08000F20UCG, they are in stock, could you pls check if they can be used as alternative?

On 3/23/2021 at 4:19 AM, antoniomauro said:

Hi, 
i'm a little in trouble to check this equivalent components proposed by pcb way:

original BOM: FC4SDCBMF8.0-T1    -> Proposed:    6CS08000F20UCG (lower load capacitance)
original BOM:TS2940CP33    -> Proposed:AZ2940D-3.3TRE1 (many voltage difference)
original BOM:SK54BTR        -> Proposed: SK54B (maybe identical?)

Thanks to everyone!!

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, MCtrickyD said:

Not sure about swapping Q1 specified as FC4SDCBMF8.0-T1 for 6CS08000F20UCG. I think this is the correct datasheet for the proposed Q1 sub. The specified part has a Frequency Stability of ±50ppm and Frequency Tolerance ±30ppm where the sub is Frequency Stability of ±30ppm and Frequency Tolerance ±20ppm are some examples of deviation from part to part.

Any 8Mhz Oscillator should work.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, phoerber said:

Fingers crossed I scored legit chips, seller had a ton of +++ feedback (we will see)....

Just curious what the cost was on these chips. The seller must be aware of the current supply situation. I can't imagine they would be selling them for anywhere close to the original $8 price. Perhaps they are charging less than what PCBWay charges you but I'm sure they are also taking advantage of the situation.