Ordering EVO PCBs at chinese manufactures questions and help

lucky1

1 hour ago, lucky1 said:

It is ! I would change or resolder C35 as a start

I popped the capacitor out, and I'm getting nothing trying to test it off the board, so it must be faulty. I've ordered some replacements. Thanks so much for helping me target the issue!

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, Tinkertilter said:

I did try this, and no prompts on the computer. I presume windows will pop a window up like when connecting a USB key, correct?

Check the device manager if anything turns up.

While I wait for your confirmation to see if Pcwway screwed up, I put another chip onto another board and it is being recognized by windows as STM32 bootloader.

is this correct? Or is this a fake chip?

this is a different chip from A different vendor but also from Ali Express.

Note, none of my boards seem to have connection (traces) like the one shown in my previous post.

help! :)

27647D84-2B56-4D22-8EEF-A03B92EE157A.jpeg

Edited by Tinkertilter

ok, I have used zadig (in the pin2dmd folder) and assigned bootloader some Winusb drivers.

I cannot see the board come up on the stlink yet, it is showing as a functioning stm32 bootloader in device manager after the driver update.

I know this is low level stuff, sorry if it is too basic for the master minds here, but please give me a hand with instructions on how to proceed.

can it be that the DFU button is not working? The reset button does work as I hear windows “new device” chime when I press it.

I have tried all combinations of power, usb dfu button you can think of, the issue does not seem to be on the order, there is something else, maybe I need other drivers?

Any help is good help, please give me a hand.

I run out of knowledge and ideas but trying to act fast so I can return certain parts if turned out to be defective… 

I am losing hope a bit

thanks!

Edited by Tinkertilter

• Content Provider
9 hours ago, Tinkertilter said:

does this mean that there is an error in the boards? pcbway have not made the board correctly??

No they are just not used.

9 hours ago, Tinkertilter said:

it is being recognized by windows as STM32 bootloader.

That is correct.

4 hours ago, Tinkertilter said:

ok, I have used zadig (in the pin2dmd folder) and assigned bootloader some Winusb drivers.

I cannot see the board come up on the stlink yet, it is showing as a functioning stm32 bootloader in device manager after the driver update.

What you did is completely wrong. The instructions for DFU firmware installation is here https://pin2dmd.com/installation/#1.2 There is no ST-Link interface on EVO boards. 

You need to install the DFU bootloader driver to make it work.

4 hours ago, Tinkertilter said:

I run out of knowledge and ideas but trying to act fast so I can return certain parts if turned out to be defective… 

Sorry to say but IMHO the problem is not defective parts, it is how you approach this project. You should learn to read the schematics and read the installation instructions thoroughly instead of asking for instructions on every single step you do.

6 hours ago, lucky1 said:

No they are just not used.

That is correct.

What you did is completely wrong. The instructions for DFU firmware installation is here https://pin2dmd.com/installation/#1.2 There is no ST-Link interface on EVO boards. 

You need to install the DFU bootloader driver to make it work.

Sorry to say but IMHO the problem is not defective parts, it is how you approach this project. You should learn to read the schematics and read the installation instructions thoroughly instead of asking for instructions on every single step you do.

if the pins are not used then this is good news, my board is good.

i have installed dfuse and stlink (mostly to try).

dfuse does not find a device either.

how do I install the driver for dfuse? There is no mention of any driver for dfuse anywhere in the instructions, other than downloading DFUSE, which I have already done and as mentioned, it is not finding a device. I am missing something, is this a driver? I am running windows 10.

I feel I am very close to have a board working, please help, thank you.

If I missing the driver, please where do I find it?

Thank you

Edited by Tinkertilter

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, Tinkertilter said:

If I missing the driver, please where do I find it?

Of course it is in the DFUSe folder !!! In my installation it is under C:\Program Files (x86)\STMicroelectronics\Software\DfuSe v3.0.6\Bin\Driver

1 hour ago, lucky1 said:

Of course it is in the DFUSe folder !!! In my installation it is under C:\Program Files (x86)\STMicroelectronics\Software\DfuSe v3.0.6\Bin\Driver

Thank you! I got one screen two work and I got the serial number. I will be contacting you to activate it shortly.
On a side note, two other screens do not work - no STM32 boot loader seen in windows - so I will be returning those chips.

If anybody here is looking for a chip provider on Ali, contact me and I will send you the info of the good ones. 
Thanks Lucky1 for your help on this! 

Have 1.5 screen working. 
when testing using pin2dmd app:
Blue, Red, orange palettes are only showing partially.

Any guidance here to check things will be appreciated! :)

green, violet, white are solid when selecting those palettes.

could this be an issue at one soldering point on the smt?

Ideas?

AF365A36-AD0D-41CA-949F-8B2234B0C5B0.jpeg

708B0A9F-57AB-472C-BA25-ED80FBD89FBB.jpeg

• Content Provider
45 minutes ago, Tinkertilter said:

could this be an issue at one soldering point on the smt?

Yes, bad connections to PE0 - PE5 of the CPU. 

I think it is enough now. This thread is about production issues of chinese manufacturers and not about private soldering issues. You have one board working and that should be enough as reference to build the others

I have a 128x32 EVO board that has no display. I am able to enter DFU mode and load the binary, but I get nothing after reset. Also, when I try to enter Config Menu, I get no red light, just the green power light. Where is a good place for me to start troubleshooting? There is good voltage at IC1-16 Thanks!

2 hours ago, reinkc said:

I have a 128x32 EVO board that has no display. I am able to enter DFU mode and load the binary, but I get nothing after reset. Also, when I try to enter Config Menu, I get no red light, just the green power light. Where is a good place for me to start troubleshooting? There is good voltage at IC1-16 Thanks!

I have noticed on a good board, the Tx and GND at 3V3_TTL read 2.94v, and on the bad board reads 3.75v. Is that enough to cause this issue?

• Content Provider
6 hours ago, reinkc said:

I guess your CPU is not starting up. Check all the voltages at the CPU. Especially check the voltages after L1

We had this before in this thread

• 3 weeks later...

hello everyone,

a bit of a mixed bag. The supplier that did work for me before, did not work so well on my last order.

with that said, before I return these chips, is there anything else I need to try in order for the board to start STM Bootloader?

Here is the situation, I recently ordered 6 more chips from the same supplier I ordered last and so far, only 1 worked out of 4. I still have 2 more to try but I will not bother. 

The one that did work, started STM32BOOTLOADER right away and was recognized by my, actually 2, computers. 

The other 3 are not being recognized.

Before I return the chips I just want to make sure there is absolutely nothing else needing checking on the board. 

I have been reading about STM32 package to see if I could, magically, run into the solution. I am not an electrical engineer, nor I pretend to be one but I am good at figuring things out with help.

MY QUESTION IS:

I was just wondering if there is perhaps any pin outs on the board that need to be jump in order to cause some sort of internal reset on the STM to trigger the factory STM32 boot loader, other than, of course, the RESET/DFU button?...

If nothing needs or should be done, then these chips are simply bad, I inspected my soldering under microscope and it is perfect, and my process when soldering is very good so I doubt it is that. 

Please let me know so I can move forward with this.

Thanks!

Edited by Tinkertilter

• Content Provider

Check the voltage readings on the CPU and read back in this thread about other points that might cause a cpu not to start. 

And I already told you that your problems are not related to this topic because that are no issues caused by chinese manufacturers. So please open your own thread instead of hitchhiking this one.

Good morning.
I have ordered 10 Boards from Pcbway.

I have received a confirmation email about the direction or polarity of components.

My knowledge of electronics is very limited and I don't want to order without being 100% sure that the assembly is correct.

Please can you help me with these pictures?

Is everything ok?

The arrows showed Cathode side.

arrows showed cathode side.png

0DD0A142310C3531D759FC04AE6CF008.jpg

FB99DF8E655DC4A291A9E7D451809141.jpg

55326E47A37AD2AE4B9C6A9ACAC36961 (1).jpg

3F0DD09F1AA8E773F4E3183E65CE1749 (1).jpg

E2E6C06A4E55B26D6426CF369BA2A9E4.jpg

C030EFF146BD06DF320E37ECFE3BDC02.jpg

Edited by Chesco

• Content Provider
9 hours ago, Chesco said:

No one response....? 

The reason for this is that your question has been asked and answered multiple times in previous posts in this thread. Please compare your pictures to the pictures already approved to be o.k. or to the pictures of your previous orders which worked.

As I have said on some occasions, my knowledge of electronics is limited, and that is why I ask for help in this forum.

If I were able to know the correct position of the electronic components, I would not ask for help.
My doubt is that on the Board, there is a "+" sign printed on its design.

Does that sign correspond to the position of the Cathode?

If I'm right, Pcbway's proposal is wrong ...

20220108_123234.jpg