• Content Provider

Star Race (Gottlieb 1980) w VR Room

Gottlieb's Race Thru Space!  Another extended wide-body machine like Circus.  Lots of fun to play, two Varitargets, a hard to hit bonus saucer, and fast loops.  Redbone had been working on getting the playfield to a much better state, and reached out to me to see if I'd like to create the table from it.  It was very similar to physics, style, etc. from the Circus table that I just worked on, so I got to work. Lots of hours were put in on this one, and lots of tweaking on the Varitargets to emulate a real machine.

As usual, I updated to latest VPW standards, physics, GI and shadow baking, Lampz and 3D inserts, dynamic shadows, updated backglass for desktop, playfield mesh for a saucer bevel, roth drop and standup targets, standalone compatibility, sling corrections, optional DIP adjustments, updated flipper physics, varitargets, VR and fully hybrid modes, Flupper style bumpers and lighting, gBOT system and trough. Redbone provided the playfield and updated the plastics and apron, also provided some ambient sounds.  Hauntfreaks provided the higher resolution VR backglass and cab artwork. I also added options for balls, ball brightness, LUTs, Dip settings, ambient sounds, siderails, and plenty of other VR stuff.  Hauntfreaks even provided a fun space themed wallpaper VR Room walls.

I've included an option for two ROMS (you can find them at pinballnirvana.com... starrac7 and starrace).  The original 6 digit ROM, and a 7 digit ROM (so when you score over a million you can see it).  There's an option in the script to change that, however I've defaulted to the 7 digit.  Make sure to grab the correct backglass if you are in a cab environment.  Hauntfreaks just released the corresponding backglasses.

I've included the nvram files to initially set the Dips, as the ROM creates settings that should be adjusted.  You can either grab those nvram files and put them in your nvram directory, or follow this process to do an initial setup for yourself.  (When you open the table, hit F6 (that'll load the default DIPS and display them). You can then select various ROM options, and I recommend these shown below.  Once entered, you can exit out, and in the script, you can set the SetDIPSwitches to zero. That will set the ROM settings and turn off the option.  If you later want to change that, you can turn it back on and change the dips.)

- 3 ball, Playfield special of "extra ball"
- Game mode of "replay"
- Novelty of "normal"
- Tilt of "ball in play"
- Check the Match, Credits, Sound when scoring
- AND most importantly, "Scoring Sounds Only".  

Again note... the background sounds from this era can get kind of annoying... especially if you have a good bass speaker in your cab.  Make sure to follow the above procedure for turning the sounds option to "Scoring Sounds Only".  

Thanks again to Redbone for the playfield and plastic images, the space sound, and Hauntfreaks for the updated Backglass, and cab art images! Also thanks to Rothbauerw for his linear target code, bietekwiet, passion4pins, and everyone else from the VPW team that provided feedback!