B2S Server 2.0 pre-release, Call for testers!

jarr3

1 hour ago, studlygoorite said:

I posted this in the VP Chat Discord but can anyone tell me if this quote from the wiki is still relevant? And if so, what the consequences might be, if any, for the Baller Installer crowd. :)  Thanks

Updaters:

Whatever you do on your Installation, - be sure to make a backup first. No backup - No pity!

PinUP Popper BALLER Installer users please wait!, we are still working on a smooth upgrade

Well, of course we (in this case @NailBuster ) make everything possible to make a smooth upgrade. But we have seen with the x64 upgrade that it is quite stable.

So if you cannot wait, and want to upgrade now, the only thing which might happen is that you maybe have to move a couple of files to fit the directory layout of what PunUP Popper needs.

I do not expect much problems, but maybe we should wait what Nailbuster has to say about it?

2 hours ago, jarr3 said:

Well, of course we (in this case @NailBuster ) make everything possible to make a smooth upgrade. But we have seen with the x64 upgrade that it is quite stable.

So if you cannot wait, and want to upgrade now, the only thing which might happen is that you maybe have to move a couple of files to fit the directory layout of what PunUP Popper needs.

I do not expect much problems, but maybe we should wait what Nailbuster has to say about it?

Thanks, Nailbuster has shared some PinUP 64bit beta files, they worked fine before v2.0, will check them out with v2.0.

• Content Provider

Quick review on installation - My cabinet was a big doorstop for a couple of years, but I am finally back up and running. I'm very much behind on developments. I don't know anything about punches, backgrounds or full DMD stuff. It took quite a bit of time to get the update working because I had forgotten some crucial steps to the workflow like the all-in-one installer would overwrite screenres.txt and B2STableSettings.xml. That you would need to enable plug ins, etc. Got in my own way and made things harder on myself. I only blame myself.

The new wiki is a great addition. There were a couple of things that were obstacles. The wiki recommended RegDllView to de-register B2S, but the app failed to de-register for me. I could use it to delete all the B2S keys from the register. But I also went through the register manually to get rid off all mentions of B2S. More work, but I don't blame the developers for RegDllView not working as described.  Plus, the wiki says to "set" the B2STableSettingExtendedPath key to move B2STableSettings.xml to another folder. I initially expected the key to be there in the registry and thought something went wrong with the install and I went through the whole manually deleting keys from the registry again. After some trial, I realized that they meant that I needed to "create" the key. I do have everything working well now, and I do appreciate being able to have ALL the B2S system files residing in one folder. 

Thanks for all  the new features especially being able to move forms to front or back!

13 minutes ago, CarnyPriest said:

Plus, the wiki says to "set" the B2STableSettingExtendedPath key to move B2STableSettings.xml to another folder. I initially expected the key to be there in the registry and thought something went wrong with the install and I went through the whole manually deleting keys from the registry again. After some trial, I realized that they meant that I needed to "create" the key. I do have everything working well now, and I do appreciate being able to have ALL the B2S system files residing in one folder. 

Thanks for all  the new features especially being able to move forms to front or back!

Thanks for the good ideas for improvements and nice words.

Yes, I want to be able to set the two registry keys through the settings going forward, or at least generate the keys with the default values in case they do not exist, while registering the dll.

During the beta phase this new feature wasn't hidden behind any registry, but it made old users confused, so had to add this in the last round before release...

Yes I fought for about a year to get these forms where I wanted them, but in the end the idea for the B2SWindowPunch feature (which I kindly became from @NailBuster)  have made some of the form front and back features not as important anymore.

And of course improvement ideas for the wiki are welcome as well!

2 hours ago, studlygoorite said:

Thanks, Nailbuster has shared some PinUP 64bit beta files, they worked fine before v2.0, will check them out with v2.0.

after a second thought it will become more or less impossible to create a stable automated install for everyone updating manually.  Sorry but I only saw the B2S part of it, but there are so many other things changed here.

18 hours ago, jarr3 said:

after a second thought it will become more or less impossible to create a stable automated install for everyone updating manually.  Sorry but I only saw the B2S part of it, but there are so many other things changed here.

I am talking to Nailbuster, so we will work on getting a "smoother" solution for baller installers!

1 hour ago, hauntfreaks said:

once all the 64bit stuff is complete .... will you guys be working on the b2s designer??

Hi, I am not a designer user... so you need to give me small hints what needs to be improved.

Small iterations as tickets on github, so that someone who has almost never touched the designer understands... Then I can see if I get time (I do not get paid for this)

I hope that we find some more people helping out with VB development on b2s designer???

On 3/20/2023 at 10:18 AM, hauntfreaks said:

first would be we can not copy and paste..... as in we can not copy a light from one project into another

when you try to copy , you get this warning
image.png.5b01f79d336b215679fb87d98fd4c4a9.png

Hi @hauntfreaks , sounds like we someone to implement this in one of the next versions... Can you please add a ticket on github and mark it B2S Designer?

On 2/15/2023 at 11:44 PM, hauntfreaks said:

yep, I did still nothing.... odd

Hi, did not see your comments here until now. This should now be solved with 2.0.1 coming up in the actions.

The problem was that it was looking for certain registry keys to be available, otherwise skipped that part completely. 

https://github.com/vpinball/b2s-backglass/issues/41

I am still waiting for confirmation that the change helps though. So, the B2SBackglassServerRegisterApp should do this for you!

Another round of beta testing for 2.0.1 coming!

https://github.com/vpinball/b2s-backglass/actions

Small changelist so far:

- The B2SWindowPunch feature can be controlled through a registry setting "Software\B2S\B2SWindowPunchActive" = "1"/"0"  The default is B2SWindowPunch OFF!

- All registry settings are available under Settings->More...

- B2SBackglassServerRegisterApp can be run from CMD and have a parameter /Silent added, to hide ALL window prompts. For 🪩Installer ;)

- The "BackglassMonitorType" can be controlled through b2s_screenresidentifier. (##, =## or @##)

- "Empty" Plugins/64 folders added to the distribution zip

Edited by jarr3
hint about 🪩Installer

There is a new 2.0.1 build coming up... it will complain when trying to register or when starting the B2S Server like this if the B2STableSettings has a problem:

image.png.b4ec7c7eb3cd6ac849049ff0a453d849.png

I have also added that a corrupt directB2S file (which is also XML files) will do the same:

image.png.11812470692b25008c962823a26ee224.png

1 hour ago, jarr3 said:

There is a new 2.0.1 build coming up... it will complain when trying to register or when starting the B2S Server like this if the B2STableSettings has a problem:

image.png.b4ec7c7eb3cd6ac849049ff0a453d849.png

I have also added that a corrupt directB2S file (which is also XML files) will do the same:

image.png.11812470692b25008c962823a26ee224.png

This will be most helpful to determine if we have badly formatted xml's. Excellent work jarr3!

45 minutes ago, Cliffy said:

This will be most helpful to determine if we have badly formatted xml's. Excellent work jarr3!

Was actually rather easy 3 lines of code ;). But should of course been there from the beginning...

• 2 weeks later...

@jarr3 latest releases have been awesome, my backglass monitor has never looked better, thanks for all of your work!

I have been using the background feature a lot and came up with a list of enhancements I figured I'd mention here and get your feedback before I enter stuff on GitHub. Most of these pertain to simulating a complete backbox with a topper on it, displayed on a vert backglass monitor. 

-Decouple grill image from backglass. Need to be able to set specific x/y coordinates for grill.

-Add support for 1 or 2 more background images. Would be nice if you could chop up the sections of the screen across multiple files instead of having to edit one big background file. 

-Add support for topper image that can be positioned just like other "screens".

-when you drag and position dmd, can you add a dotted line around the entire border, it's often hard to center a black-edged dmd on a black background.

Pretty soon, maybe the community could start creating manufacturer specific background images (literally the wood edges of the backbox) that you just position your backglass, grill and dmd on. 

Edited by SmedleyB

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2023 at 2:23 PM, SmedleyB said:

@jarr3 latest releases have been awesome, my backglass monitor has never looked better, thanks for all of your work!

I have been using the background feature a lot and came up with a list of enhancements I figured I'd mention here and get your feedback before I enter stuff on GitHub. Most of these pertain to simulating a complete backbox with a topper on it, displayed on a vert backglass monitor. 

-Decouple grill image from backglass. Need to be able to set specific x/y coordinates for grill.

-Add support for 1 or 2 more background images. Would be nice if you could chop up the sections of the screen across multiple files instead of having to edit one big background file. 

-Add support for topper image that can be positioned just like other "screens".

-when you drag and position dmd, can you add a dotted line around the entire border, it's often hard to center a black-edged dmd on a black background.

Pretty soon, maybe the community could start creating manufacturer specific background images (literally the wood edges of the backbox) that you just position your backglass, grill and dmd on. 

Hi,

check if this issue on github https://github.com/vpinball/b2s-backglass/issues/23 might fit your feature request. As written here, we would forget about res files and move to something more flexible like XML, where tags would tell what the values are.

On 4/24/2023 at 2:04 AM, jarr3 said:

Hi,

check if this issue on github https://github.com/vpinball/b2s-backglass/issues/23 might fit your feature request. As written here, we would forget about res files and move to something more flexible like XML, where tags would tell what the values are.

Yup, I opened that ticket, that sounds good to me. Should I open tickets for the other items I mentioned above on GitHub?

8 hours ago, SmedleyB said:

Yup, I opened that ticket, that sounds good to me. Should I open tickets for the other items I mentioned above on GitHub?

I beleive the last point is the only missing part, so you can add it to github

Hi jarr3, new XML is ok, but hopefully the server will be back compatible with "old" screenres.txt...

Because some old vp9 tables have old b2s backglasses in exe file format - they are only compatible with old screenres.txt (even the comment lines are not "allowed" in it) but these few tables are very well done and it would be very sad if they would'nt working after this...

Or maybe I'm completely wrong with this in mind, perhaps this old b2s exe files "include" an own server-part and are looking for their screenres.txt...

17 hours ago, digitalarts said:

Hi jarr3, new XML is ok, but hopefully the server will be back compatible with "old" screenres.txt...

Because some old vp9 tables have old b2s backglasses in exe file format - they are only compatible with old screenres.txt (even the comment lines are not "allowed" in it) but these few tables are very well done and it would be very sad if they would'nt working after this...

Or maybe I'm completely wrong with this in mind, perhaps this old b2s exe files "include" an own server-part and are looking for their screenres.txt...

Yes, it would first search for the new format and if not found stay with how it is now...

But I think you are right, the old b2s exe's are baked with the old format without comments, so it should not be any problem anyway. But thanks for the reminder!

Do you know if the source for these old b2s exe's is available somewhere?

/Jarr3