B2S Server 2.0 pre-release, Call for testers!

jarr3

When I noticed that Backglass and PupPack are using the same image, I saw it as a challenge. 😎 Realy nice, I think.
My experence so far: the more layers, scores and stuff a Pack has, the higher the possibility that there will be a problem.
If a Pack contains movies, sounds, music and nothing complicated, it can be run on a Backglass without problems.
This will also depend on the system, settings and Hardware. So It will not work in any case, you will have to try it.
Runs on a GTX 1060 with I5. I use reshade also and got no problems.
IndyPup.thumb.jpg.26fd406fa419e2a5c0dd682da7875b50.jpg

Edited by Retsamikit

3 hours ago, hauntfreaks said:

one downside on this punch thing.... when testing a table.... and having the b2s designer open, the dmd of the table punches a hole thru the designer

Well @hauntfreaks, that should not be... you have another new issue on github "B2SWindowPunch also punches Designer while testing #36" !!! Great!!! Thanks for your support!!!

One "solution" would be to activate a line in your res file saying "B2SWindowPunch=off", which will turn off B2SWindowPunch completely for all tables using this res file or fixing the regular expression....

Being lazy I wrote

"^B2S Backglass|^B2S DMD$"

as default regular expression. If you look closely it has no "$" sign at the end of Backglass... because I wanted it to catch B2S Backglass and B2S Backglass Server... and write less... I had completely forgotten about "B2S Backglass Designer" ...

It is now changed to

"^B2S Backglass$|^B2S Backglass Server$|^B2S DMD$"

and committed and pushed...

Have fun!

4 hours ago, jarr3 said:

Well @hauntfreaks, that should not be... you have another new issue on github "B2SWindowPunch also punches Designer while testing #36" !!! Great!!! Thanks for your support!!!

One "solution" would be to activate a line in your res file saying "B2SWindowPunch=off", which will turn off B2SWindowPunch completely for all tables using this res file or fixing the regular expression....

Being lazy I wrote

"^B2S Backglass|^B2S DMD$"

as default regular expression. If you look closely it has no "$" sign at the end of Backglass... because I wanted it to catch B2S Backglass and B2S Backglass Server... and write less... I had completely forgotten about "B2S Backglass Designer" ...

It is now changed to

"^B2S Backglass$|^B2S Backglass Server$|^B2S DMD$"

and committed and pushed...

Have fun!

Another "solution" is to double click the B2SInit.cmd file from explorer, it will then revert all punches it made...

If you want to try out more advanced Regular expressions: https://regex101.com/r/YK0X1u/2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

if everyone like the new B2STableSettings.xml amended search path... I had to revert one thing:

Please set this registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\B2S\B2STableSettingsExtendedPath set to String "1"

The reason is that I did not want to keep this new setting as a new default without being able to configure a fallback. So if you like it, please set the registry, for the latest build.

IMPORTANT: I want to release 2.0.0 soon, so if there is anything missing or any new bugs, please report so that it can be ironed out before!

I added this registry string as I was having a problem with some tables not starting pup packs unless a copy of b2stablesettings.xml was in the same folder as the vpx. ALL my tables are in their own folder, not lumped together in the Tables folder. This new registry string did not help, however. When right clicking the glass on certain (many) tables the plugin box is checked but the plugin settings button is grayed out. This tells me the plugin itself is not being found and therefore cannot kick the pup into 1st gear. Running B2SBackglassServer-2.0.0-7a40692-Release-win-x86

On 3/10/2023 at 6:55 PM, Cliffy said:

I added this registry string as I was having a problem with some tables not starting pup packs unless a copy of b2stablesettings.xml was in the same folder as the vpx. ALL my tables are in their own folder, not lumped together in the Tables folder. This new registry string did not help, however. When right clicking the glass on certain (many) tables the plugin box is checked but the plugin settings button is grayed out. This tells me the plugin itself is not being found and therefore cannot kick the pup into 1st gear. Running B2SBackglassServer-2.0.0-7a40692-Release-win-x86

I beleive and hope there is a simple answer... The way the B2S Used to work (before setting the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\B2S\B2STableSettingsExtendedPath="1")

was that it expected the B2STableSettings.xml in the same folder as the table file.

Now if you set this registry key (from build 3a206db) it will first check the folder of the table file and then the folder where the B2SBackglassServerEXE.exe is stored.

I have added a new build today which will show you where the paths to the settings are set, if you hover over or press the logo.

B2SBackglassServerSettingsHoverOver.gif.b3e7eda5bd72e9763282186adae5952b.gif

If I now rename the B2STableSettings.xml in the table folder, it will revert to use the setting next to the B2S Server instead:

image.png.0d6659f15f4ddae133507f35d9779186.png

1 minute ago, jarr3 said:

And with the last build, you should also get the pup to work also using the setting next to the B2S Server!

well sir thats the goal, right? Would love to eliminate all the extra b2stablesettings.xml in the separate game folders and everything should (ideally) work from ONE b2stablesettings.xml in the root folder where the server resides. I will test this new version and let you know. Thanks for staying with it!

1 minute ago, Cliffy said:

well sir thats the goal, right? Would love to eliminate all the extra b2stablesettings.xml in the separate game folders and everything should (ideally) work from ONE b2stablesettings.xml in the root folder where the server resides. I will test this new version and let you know. Thanks for staying with it!

Yes, it was MY goal all the time ;) and you helped me find the problem...

But it is still possible to have a local B2STableSettings in some of your folders, if you want that is...

Ok @jarr3 in my opinion, and after MUCH testing, I believe 2.0 is ready for prime time! The enhancements are huge compared to prior versions and with the additional registry option it's practically perfect. Thanks for all the HARD work you have put into this. This along with @Tikimaster forthcoming wiki guide is an essential part of visual pinball and appreciated by all, I'm sure

3 hours ago, hauntfreaks said:

will there be a 64bit version since the new tables are pushing the use of everything being 64 bit.... vpx, pinmane, frezzy and so on....

Yes, there should be! I am in contact with @NailBuster and Smaug from GameClubCentral, he wanted to inform me if anything is missing for 64 bit.

@hauntfreaks Please set this registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\B2S\B2STableSettingsExtendedPath  to a  String value of "1". This makes the search for B2STablesSettings continue in the B2S Server install dir, (be it your tables folder or whatever)

Release 2.0.0 is out here on VPUhttps://vpuniverse.com/files/category/41-b2s-install-support-files  ) 

Please do not forget to like and review, what is important for content creators (tables, backglasses, DMD colorization?) is as important for us writing the tool set.

Have fun with the new version! I hope everyone will enjoys the new features for easier usage...

Today also saw the release of the new github wiki for B2Shttps://github.com/vpinball/b2s-backglass/wiki 

Thanks to @Tikimaster for helping me with the wiki and creating the tutorial videos. They can also be watched separately here https://www.youtube.com/@vpinballcraftingcellar  hopefully more to come soon!
Thanks to @VPinWorkshop for allowing us to use their Blood Machines in the Wiki examples.

Thanks to @hauntfreaks for providing the new Blood Machines backglass used in the wiki examples.

Thanks again to everyone for testing the new release, and reporting here

Special thanks go to @Tikimaster , @Cliffy  and @hauntfreaks 

/Jarr3

On 2/26/2023 at 7:52 PM, Tikimaster said:

If someone asks "hey, what is this background feature made for?"
5:4 Backglass on a 16:9 Screen, using a Background Picture.

Kiste1080defdark.jpg

But this is NOT new... The same feature was given with the "small" button of former b2s server... And a "bezel" picture file adressed in screenres.txt.  so what ?

43 minutes ago, digitalarts said:

But this is NOT new... The same feature was given with the "small" button of former b2s server... And a "bezel" picture file adressed in screenres.txt.  so what ?

97% of the users never understood the small button. By adding the "V2" file format, where the values isn't switched anymore it is MUCH easier to handle now since the B2SScreenResIdentifier can edit the Backgrounds as well.

Many of the features are only for easier usage, because many of the "newer" not being easy to handle. BUT you DO NOT have to use it.

Have a look in the wiki https://github.com/vpinball/b2s-backglass/wiki/B2SScreenResIdentifier at the bottom for an example of B2SScreenResIdentifier in action.

7 hours ago, jarr3 said:

The link is up howto upgrade to VPX x64 with the Video where Smaug is following the description:

https://github.com/vpinball/b2s-backglass/wiki/64bit-VPX-Pincab-Setup-Guide

and the direct link to the video: https://youtu.be/zc_6cr4Fo8k

I posted this in the VP Chat Discord but can anyone tell me if this quote from the wiki is still relevant? And if so, what the consequences might be, if any, for the Baller Installer crowd. :)  Thanks

Updaters:

Whatever you do on your Installation, - be sure to make a backup first. No backup - No pity!

PinUP Popper BALLER Installer users please wait!, we are still working on a smooth upgrade