About The Whole 3 Year Thing....

Itchigo

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Content Provider

It's been around over 10 years, but it's a bit stale now. It used to be one of the "go to" places to be in it's day.

While I understand about not having to go all different places for things, my take is this: You don't have all your money in one account, do you? If everything was at one site, and that one site went down...  (vpf.com). In addition to this ultimate power corrupts ultimately. Ultimate power seeks to maintain it's power above all. (Just ask our govt). I don't think anyone should have that kind of control. Not Paul, not Dazz, and not myself either.

• Content Provider

It's funny how people think that because you wait a few years Stern is going to give you the ok to make these tables. They're either going to give a blanket no or they're going to ignore you.

It is my opinion that the Emulation scene does not hurt their business in the slightest. It actually has the opposite affect. It gets people interested in pinball and people go out and start buying real machines when they see how much fun pinball really is. No matter how cool we make these tables look, the physics will never be the same. I've seen several people sell of their virtual cabinets and start to purchase real machines. I haven't seen the other way around.

I'm just saying I tend to only really be able to follow posts from 2 to 3 forums.  And only being into the Pinball stuff just this year I don't even know what caused all the drama.  When I ordered my cab builders kits from Paul I didn't even know he had anything to do with the VPF forums.  I started in the Hyperspin forum and discovered the pinball emulation and only visited VPF long enough to get Visual Pinball installed and download a few tables etc.  I can tell a bunch of hurt feelings are all around these forums and I have no idea what happened.  I see Paul saying he got stabbed in the back by his friends.  I really don't need to know what went on.  I just want to be able to create a table and share it with others without worrying that I'm upsetting half the emulation crowd depending on where its released.  A lot of resources seem to only exist at VPF right now and I'm hearing people getting banned for saying the wrong thing.  If I create a table do I release it here or VPF or both?  The PIND tool I believe pulls from VPF so if I didn't put it there that tools wouldn't have access to it.  Just a little confusing knowing what to do as a newbie.  I never had to worry about one bank getting mad at another if I didn't keep my money in one place. :)

It's funny how people think that because you wait a few years Stern is going to give you the ok to make these tables. They're either going to give a blanket no or they're going to ignore you.

It is my opinion that the Emulation scene does not hurt their business in the slightest. It actually has the opposite affect. It gets people interested in pinball and people go out and start buying real machines when they see how much fun pinball really is. No matter how cool we make these tables look, the physics will never be the same. I've seen several people sell of their virtual cabinets and start to purchase real machines. I haven't seen the other way around.

Back when MAME first came out, well even before that when Dave Spicer had his 6 game emulator, I started the idea of building a cab to play them on based on the old stand up console stand they use to sell for the old Atari 2600.

I started looking at area arcades and suppliers for a dead cab to build my MAME cab into.  I finally got my MAME cab BUILT and before I ran out of room in the house I had purchased over 50 full sized machines, a Dart board, a non arcade Air Hockey and Fooseball table, a gumball machine, disco light, replica pay phone and I don't know how many Jamma and various other boards.  I'm sure the arcade operator that I got the bulk of my stuff from was really glad I got into emulation and so should the game makers because he then was able to buy more new games to replace the older stuff he was selling off.

That post is from 2009 and as far as my knowledge goes is still valid from the original Pinmame team. Nobody can stop somebody from "hacking" the new SAM versions in MAME and create the SAM tables for his private use. Sharing it with the public is mostly something that can bring the hurt on you.

If VPU thinks it´s ok to "bend" this "rule" a little then it´s the business from Dazz and the other "leaders" to deal with the consequences, when there are any.

And no... I don`t think Stern will close it´s doors because you can play their tables on the PC in private. Somebody who thinks VP is the real deal, will never spent 5000 $ for a real machine for his home, but he will still spent a few dollars in a real machine at some bar or whatever. But Stern don´t have to give you a reason why they don´t want see recreations of their SAM pinballs.

Again...

Shitty english... Sorry for that. 

• Content Provider

I never had to worry about one bank getting mad at another if I didn't keep my money in one place. :)

Sure you do. It's called business competition. :P

I only put this up, as I think it confirms that something took place. I believe Stevoz to be an upstanding guy, not one of Paul's lackies. Also the first post pre-dates vpf.

But I only put this up to inform. I'm not telling anyone what to do, or what's right or wrong. But I don't see this hurting Stern either. If a real agreement/handshake was made though it should be honored. What was in question was if a real agreement/handshake was ever made. This link gives credence to there was such an agreement/handshake, something I didn't think existed.

Gilrock: as an author you have say as to where you upload to. No one can tell you what to do. I made the choice not to upload there as I don't feel the need to help sell cabs. So I keep my stuff for my site, and vpu. But that is my choice as an author. I don't think it's my place to say not to go there, but it's my preference not to myself.

I like all the virtual pinball sites  :D  all the extra sites help attract new members.  I found Virtual pinball thru a mame rom site.  I then found Hyperspins website and so on.  Had it not been for that mame website hosting visual pinball tables I would have never even known about the hobby.  That being said.  the 3 year rule is too long and needs to be revised.  The local arcade here runs 6 stern machines on thier floor and none of the titles stay on the floor for 3 years before he replaces it with a new release.  

• Administrators

LOL VP is so outdated and so old im surprized it even runs and im amazed what the guys are makin it do with the limited resources they have to work with,

they workin with what DX7?

have to give credit for what they done with it but its not a threat to stern, they probly laugh at us or not ..

but as far as that 3 year rule or whatever, that was made back then for 1 and 2 half or more of those people are not even in the scene no more...

and if thats the case ok then 3 yrs gone by,, 7 tables can be made right now what the hell we waitin for?

a phone call from gary to say go for it lol man...NOT GOING TO HAPPEND.. (unless Itchy can get him to agree cause they buds ) :rolleyes:

Build them and quit worring about what will or not happen..so sick of this debate..

wtf is the problem?

lets play some fuckin pinball and let the lawyers or other assholes figure that shit out..WHO FUCKIN CARES..

JUST BE LIKE NIKE AND JUST DO IT !!

I put out the BG's just need a couple guys with some balls to put out the tables...........................If I could do it I would make them B)

RELEASE THE KRAKEN..!!!  Its time.. 1381357726.gif          

VP JOB OFFER =  Qualifications

SOME FUCKIN BALLS,

if interested put out stern tables :D

In my small world, my cab has heightened awareness in many. All of my friends, most co-workers and many acquaintances are aware of my cab/obsession which has led to lots of followup conversations to the effect of "We were in this bar..." "I saw a Harlem Globetdotters on Craig's List" "I think my parents still have one, I oughtta..." And in me, I've been to restaurants, bars and Laundromats I wouldn't ordinarily frequent because someone told me there was a machine!

To me, if Stern doesn't already have a public, official position I certainly wouldn't beg them for one! If they don't care, and they haven't, why should we? If they don't specify a time or any other restrictions, publicly... it's hard to adhere to rules that don't seem to really exist. Everything so far is hearsay. If it's on the internet it must be true, right???

And if vpf doesn't want them this seems like a great home! Or Rogue? Wildman seems to have a corner on the bg's! I know some of these tables are done, right??? Tell the truth... (at least pm me a link, I won't tell :) )

IMHO

• Content Provider

1. software emulation of hardware is not illegal

2. no SAM roms are hosted here, they are on sterns site freely available in the public domain.

if stern has an issue the easy fix is to not host them so easy for anybody to get and emulate the hardware to run them.  

now they are posting roms before the first table is delivered in a way baiting people to want them.

nobody ever wants to talk about the ultimate ultrapin upgrade that got sam mame out into the wild and eventually led to somebody reverse engineering it to extract a sam.c

the source code for sam was leaked around xmas time on many sites including vpforums, thats where i saw it first then in the next hr on 4 other related forums.

so its been nearly a year and the world hasnt ended, there isnt  isnt any new tables available to download and from what i can see there wont be anytime soon.

Don`t know why but I don`t think that Gary Stern is following the VP scene that much that he´s aware of every leak in a timeframe from a few days ;)

And I have to agree on Wildman´s post for contacting Gary Stern for approval. I´m pretty sure that this won`t happen. Mostly the opposite if you are to annoying.

• Content Provider

And if vpf doesn't want them this seems like a great home! Or Rogue? Wildman seems to have a corner on the bg's! I know some of these tables are done, right??? Tell the truth... (at least pm me a link, I won't tell :) )

IMHO

Too early to worry about. Aside from that, I don't know vpm coding, and if the table isn't my build, I can't host it without permission.

• Content Provider

Is the 3 year rule on the table or SAM in general?  If it's on the table the 3 years have long been passed on several tables.

Dazz - Would it be ok to build and release a table like Pirates of the Carabean for example?

• Administrators

Is the 3 year rule on the table or SAM in general?  If it's on the table the 3 years have long been passed on several tables.

Dazz - Would it be ok to build and release a table like Pirates of the Carabean for example?

I have no problem with that at all, bro.

• Content Provider

Sweet.  

I'm working with Dazz on releasing the table then.  He's going to test play it before public release to make sure it's all good.  I'm a new builder and have been playing the table for a while now but better safe than sorry.

Here is a tease though of the table :-)  Some is recreation and some is custom.  For instance.  I couldn't locate good images of the plastics so I just made my own.

1_Pirates_Of_the_Caribbean.jpg

Sweet.  

I'm working with Dazz on releasing the table then.  He's going to test play it before public release to make sure it's all good.  I'm a new builder and have been playing the table for a while now but better safe than sorry.

Here is a tease though of the table :-)  Some is recreation and some is custom.  For instance.  I couldn't locate good images of the plastics so I just made my own.

1_Pirates_Of_the_Caribbean.jpg

SWEET!!!  :D

Archived