About The Whole 3 Year Thing....

Itchigo

• Content Provider

Shoot.  I thought these were out of production for over 3 years.  They only run titles for a couple of months and it showed 2010 and this isn't one that is scheduled for a rerun (at least according to Gary in his last speaking) as he pretty much shot down the thought of rerunning the older titles.  Iron Man and Tron (yet again) where the titles most asked about though.

If this one is too early that's cool with me to hold on to it until it's a more comfortable timeline out.  Not looking to break any rules or push things so I'll admit fault if that was to early.

Gives me more time to make it even better then if that's the case.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Content Provider

Yes, tron has had 3 runs (4 if you want to get real technical but I loop 2 together).   You had the initial run with 3d backglass and screened cab, then 3d backglass and decaled cab, then the clue backglass version and last but not least the girl backglass run.   I digress though as we are talking about Avatar and not Tron :-)  Gary did say no more Tron runs though.  Most people were asking about Tron Premium though (lighted ramps).  We also know that Gary will so no new reruns and then a new run is done but I just doubt it with Avatar.  Not a lot of love for this pin.  It's underrated in my opinion but I would doubt they would do a rerun when I believe some distributors have NIB still of the game.  They want stupid money form them thus why they have them...

they probably made way too many Avatars in 2010 and early 2011,  which is why they are still available NIB, and thus listed as "current" and "in production".  It is definately not up to me, but releasing this table does not conform to the 3 year guideline/rule/agreement/pact/blood oath.

Maybe at least wait till middle of 2014, which should be the 3 year anniversary of the end of the production run. Plus maybe check for the title to be moved to the "out of production" list on the stern website.?????

but Wildman will probably say:  'Just do whatever, release everything now. Just do it!  ANARCHY!, ANARCHY!, ANARCHY!   :P

• Content Provider

they probably made way too many Avatars in 2010 and early 2011,  which is why they are still available NIB, and thus listed as "current" and "in production".  It is definately not up to me, but releasing this table does not conform to the 3 year guideline/rule/agreement/pact/blood oath.

Maybe at least wait till middle of 2014, which should be the 3 year anniversary of the end of the production run. Plus maybe check for the title to be moved to the "out of production" list on the stern website.?????

I think that is more than reasonable.  Not worth pushing things.

I was thinking it was out of production in 2010 so thought it was good to go.

Dazz - Unless you feel otherwise you can delete the submission.  I apologize to the forum for jumping the gun.  It truly was not my intention to cause any issues.

• Administrators

but Wildman will probably say:  'Just do whatever, release everything now. Just do it!  ANARCHY!, ANARCHY!, ANARCHY!   :P

LOL man LOL

I go by the date of the game fuck the cheesy rerun shit...they can make that game agian in 8 years who fuckin cares.. :rolleyes:

you guys gettin to technical......3 yrs fuckin release the table ..fuck the stupid shit ..

if it was my choice i would make every one of them and release them..lmao like VP is a threat to stern give me a break..

every other table has been made do you really think anybody gives a shit

.they only will care if you make money off the shit and they dont get there cut ....so shit or get off the pot :P

Avatar just had a production run a couple of months back, so did Tron, even more recently.

• Content Provider

Avatar just had a production run a couple of months back, so did Tron, even more recently.

Where did you get that info?  My understanding is that Avatar sold so poorly that their are still some NIB from when they were built.  I really don't see them doing "another" run for Avatar.  Tron was done as it became so popular.  Those re-runs were only a couple hundred total though but I have a hard time believing Stern would do multiple runs of a pin that didn't sell well at all and still is not popular with most collector groups.

It's an underrated pin for sure but still doesn't seem to be anywhere close to re-run popular in today's environment.

This whole 3 year thing does open up another question though.  What happens to Medieval Madness?  Now that it is being re-released does that mean it has to be pulled off the VP sites :-(

apparantly not,  LOTR was re-released after JP made his version, and even VPF did not pull the files?

• Content Provider

wrong.

I guess answering a simple question is too difficult for you or are you looking to just be an ass and stir the pot?  If so, you can go to Pinside or VP forums for that as that is where those types belong.

I'm not claiming to be right all the time but if you know this you should also be able to state the source.

Fact - I can still get a NIB run Avatar from multiple distributors.

Knowing this, why in the world would Stern do another run?  Keep in mind finishing up the build of machines they had parts for is not a re-run.  Kind of like how Transformers was not re-run.  They just halted production and then start it back up to finish up the product they had left.

Sorry, if I'm being a prick but to quote that and to just put "wrong" is pretty childish...

Avatar was last run in February of 2013, which is one of the reasons you can buy one.

If you wanted to know for sure, you could call a Stern distributor to ask.   Do a search online and you will find distributors actively pimping the new run earlier this year.

Avatar sold poorly when it was released, but since then there has kind of been a pinball resurgence.   The demand came back, they had some extra parts, the license was still active, so Stern decided to schedule an additional run.

100 more Tron pros were prodcued soon after the Avatar run.

I guess answering a simple question is too difficult for you or are you looking to just be an ass and stir the pot?  If so, you can go to Pinside or VP forums for that as that is where those types belong.

I'm not claiming to be right all the time but if you know this you should also be able to state the source.

Fact - I can still get a NIB run Avatar from multiple distributors.

Knowing this, why in the world would Stern do another run?  Keep in mind finishing up the build of machines they had parts for is not a re-run.  Kind of like how Transformers was not re-run.  They just halted production and then start it back up to finish up the product they had left.

Sorry, if I'm being a prick but to quote that and to just put "wrong" is pretty childish...

• Administrators

Ya, know... I do recall seeing a re-run of Avatar sometime ago.  The game is still showing on the Current Titles link on the Stern site, so it's currently being sold/distributed whether it was a re-run or not.

Personally, I say that anything that's not listed on the "Current Titles" section is available to be re-created. With the re-release of MM and selling out in less than 6 hours, it's obvious that our hobby is not hindering pin sales at all.  Not to mention there is also talk about a re-release of AFM and I'm sure it will sell out in a matter of hours as well.

Isn't it obvious to everyone that the virtual pinball world is the main reason why real pinball is on a comeback?? Especially since FarSight Studios came along and exploded on all platforms. It definitely made me interested back in pinball and even built a cab. I want to own real machines now! Just need room in the house.

• Administrators

Avatar was last run in February of 2013, which is one of the reasons you can buy one.

If you wanted to know for sure, you could call a Stern distributor to ask.   Do a search online and you will find distributors actively pimping the new run earlier this year.

Avatar sold poorly when it was released, but since then there has kind of been a pinball resurgence.   The demand came back, they had some extra parts, the license was still active, so Stern decided to schedule an additional run.

100 more Tron pros were prodcued soon after the Avatar run.

tamoore that machine is a 2010 release so it a 2010 release ..who gives a shit how many fuckin times they squeeze the cows tit to get more milk out of it .......

and i agree with dazz last comment ..if it been shelved then it fair game so fuck the bullshit......

• Administrators

So, what's the difference between this being allowed on Future Pinball, but it's taboo in Visual Pinball?  Don't give me the, because of the ROM's bullshit either.  There is no difference between emulating it and someone ripping all of the graphics and sounds from the ROM.

As I stated before, Stern isn't going to come after us or anyone else that's emulating machines.  If anyone does it's going to be about the artwork ip holders; and we've had FP versions for over a year now and what repercussions have come out of that?    

Maybe what to worry about is when FarSight Studios (perhaps in 3 to 5 years) releases all of their tables on PC platform? We all pretty much have all their tables already. The difference is they have the license to sell their tables, no? Won't we be competing then with our hobbyist titles? I hope it don't erupt into B.S. later on.

• Administrators

Maybe what to worry about is when FarSight Studios (perhaps in 3 to 5 years) releases all of their tables on PC platform? We all pretty much have all their tables already. The difference is they have the license to sell their tables, no? Won't we be competing then with our hobbyist titles? I hope it don't erupt into B.S. later on.

It's not... Their engine is far superior to Visual Pinball and they know this.

• Content Provider

We'll have to agree to disagree I guess.  To me that is not a "re-run".  That is them finishing up their initial allotment of machines.  They didn't have more playfields, cabs, toys, etc made.   They just cleared the warehouse of the remaining games to be built.  I know it's symantics at this point though....

That's good to hear but I imagine Visual Pinball won't stagnate too much. Seems like there's a descent amount of talent out there that's evolving VP. That Unity 3D and Pinmame thing seems to be cool. Once FarSight gets their physics right (with spin and flipper catches), their engine will be unstoppable.

Archived