Welcome home VPinball Refugees

• Content Provider

After seeing the suggestions to upload directly to nailbuster's server, I tried to figure out how to do that for myself. Well, I finally found this:

the media server is not accessible outside of Popper Setup, and the Popper media server is NOT a public server that anyone can upload to. Only selected authors can use the server and you should thank them on social media whenever possible for their time. ( https://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php?id=popmedia_server )

Dead end, I guess? Still thought I would share in case anyone else was trying to figure that out.

7 hours ago, ARMYAVIATION said:

@deathincclanhave you tried popper, it’s like crack, once you try it you are hooked

I actually have. It is 1/8 setup. But when you change from pinballx, the media also has to be re oriented. And I just don’t have the time. 

I like the simplicity of pinballx. I will try it again in the future, but for right now. I am a PinballX’er. 

1 hour ago, deathincclan said:

I actually have. It is 1/8 setup. But when you change from pinballx, the media also has to be re oriented. And I just don’t have the time. 

I like the simplicity of pinballx. I will try it again in the future, but for right now. I am a PinballX’er. 

Yo, came from PBX and had to reorient virtually all of my media as I run portrait.  Let me know if you need anything.

Believe I saw Nailbuster explaining one of the new features to be able to not only shrink bloated pup packs, but, also rotate media. I don't use a frontend very often, have only a couple of pup tables too. So, not 100% sure. Believe it was in this video - somewhere. Had it running in the background while doing other stuff :) Personally, I run PBY - fast and compatible with PBX.

Edit : looks to start around 7:30 or so.

@BrandonLaw Thank you for the offer. I will let you know when I am ready to make the jump. 

@Thalamus I also tried pinballY. I like it. But for whatever reason I got frustrated with trying to get Future Dmd to work correctly. It just kept on fighting me. 

For now I am sticking with PinballX. Until I get bored and need something to do. Unfortunately it is spring and I need to get a fence and pool up before my kids murder my Pinball machine.  Why do they always try to take it out on my pinball??  Haha.

• Content Provider

I've been away from the forums a bit and missed some good conversations here.

@JFR1 Hey Fellow Clevelander!  I don't live in The Land anymore but I am not that far away in Strongsville. 

@ARMYAVIATION Noah and his mod logic at VPF is all screwed up.  I agree.  I have seen a table or two that Bigus made some significant changes and I seen a lot that were not significant at all.  I challenged Noah to define what is a mod.  His response was any change that moved a table forward.  OK...sounds good but he totally is missing the point that Bigus' recent change to Earthshaker did not move that table forward.  They were 100% lateral and nothing more than simple preferences.  I believe his "good riddance" stance as an admin instead of listening to the author that actually did make the last significant change is completely wrong. 

All - I've been wanting to get in to 3D printing as I see a lot of benefits to my model railroading hobby.  Does anyone have a good model suggestion for a beginner?

On frontends...I like PinballY.  I've been using it for a year or two now.  It's simple and easy.  Those are the features I enjoy the most.  PinballX was a bit laggy at time.  I like Popper but I can honestly say all I did was mess with it a little while.  I'll stick with PBY because I honestly an not missing anything that Popper brings to the table.

Popper really is too good.  It's truly universal and even adding steam games to the wheel is a snap let alone the aesthetic customizations, scripting & scraping options.  It was about a 48hr deal getting about 250 tables individually setup perfectly within the FE, but worth it.  

I now have backups of my backups  🙉

On 4/3/2021 at 9:57 PM, mlager8 said:

@mrorange  @ARMYAVIATION

Many private torrent trackers in other communities stipulate you maintain certain share ratio, as such the more you share and maintain, the more you can download. It won't keep out anyone super determined to gain content, but it is primary defense against leeching.

I used a torrent site years ago that was just like that.  It was basically the only place for british tv shows and I thought that share ratio feature was a great idea.  It was good at making sure people did take and run.  They actually had to give back to the community by seeding what they download.

1 hour ago, jino0372 said:

Noah and his mod logic at VPF is all screwed up.  I agree.  I have seen a table or two that Bigus made some significant changes and I seen a lot that were not significant at all.  I challenged Noah to define what is a mod.  His response was any change that moved a table forward.  OK...sounds good but he totally is missing the point that Bigus' recent change to Earthshaker did not move that table forward.  They were 100% lateral and nothing more than simple preferences.  I believe his "good riddance" stance as an admin instead of listening to the author that actually did make the last significant change is completely wrong.

Should there even be separate uploads for mods?

I think that if someone was able to say improve the graphics that it be submitted to the original creator.  Working with the original creator instead of against them.

There is only a few people who has have those narcissistic tendencies - needing to put their name on minor changes, and piss others off in the process. I don't think we can help those guys. They need help from real Doctors.

"Narcissistic personality disorder — one of several types of personality disorders — is a mental condition in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for excessive attention and admiration, troubled relationships, and a lack of empathy for others."

2 hours ago, jino0372 said:

All - I've been wanting to get in to 3D printing as I see a lot of benefits to my model railroading hobby.  Does anyone have a good model suggestion for a beginner?

Are you asking about learning to model or where to download models? 

There's a huge repository of printable models on thingiverse, I'm sure full of models pertinent to railroading. 

If your asking for a modeling tutorial, this one is old (and not even in my package of choice) but the fundamentals he demonstrates are absolutely essential and apply to modeling on any platform. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=grant+Warwick+modelinf&oq=grant+Warwick+modelinf+&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i22i30l2.8841j1j7&client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#

Lastly I'm not very much into model railroading, but have you seen this guy's YT channel? I find his work fascinating and relaxing to watch:

https://youtube.com/c/LukeTowan

@jino0372 I purchased an Ender 3 V2 back in October.  As a beginner, I didn't want to spend a lot of money on my first 3D printer.  I ended up putting another $100 into with upgrades.  There was a learning curve, but I was able to design and print a part for my cabinet.  I can print consistently well using PLA.  The model for you really depends on your budget and the type of material you want to print. 

1 hour ago, mrorange said:

@jino0372 I purchased an Ender 3 V2 back in October.  As a beginner, I didn't want to spend a lot of money on my first 3D printer.  I ended up putting another $100 into with upgrades.  There was a learning curve, but I was able to design and print a part for my cabinet.  I can print consistently well using PLA.  The model for you really depends on your budget and the type of material you want to print. 

Wow that flew right over my head and I answered that question completely wrong... I can only say from experience having used a makerbot and a flashforge (both filament) that they're great for utilitarian items, printing clips and holders, making custom jigs and the like. For miniatures and hobbys resin is the way to go. There's far greater resolution to the print and less finishing work. I haven't used them much ( @Dazz might have something to say about that though.. ) but you can get a very small starter one for as little as $100. 

• Content Provider

@jino0372i grew up in Youngstown and went to Kent state not too far from you also.  

as far as the earthshaker mod, it wasn’t a lateral mod because we lost 32 in it so it took the whole community back if he decides to leave.   @32assassin, come here, we all love you and won’t piss you off.  If only there was a bigus free zone in this world but I do remember he released a mod on VPB a week or so before it died.........

@mlager8 where I live there are tons of trains and I am about ready to give up flying to go be a conductor, I freakin love trains and I went out and bought some HO scale trains to play with but man that’s a lot of space to take up

@JFR1everytime my fat ass gets on my bike the tires still look flat but I do check the inflation often!!!

• Content Provider

I agree @bordbut if the OP hadn’t released a table mod that wasn’t authorized, it wouldn’t have been an issue, until someone else did it, and yes, he would have still refused to remove it because it’s property of the all powerful and mighty wizard of Virtual pinball.  Why can’t everyone just get along.....

4 minutes ago, ARMYAVIATION said:

I agree @bordbut if the OP hadn’t released a table mod that wasn’t authorized, it wouldn’t have been an issue, until someone else did it, and yes, he would have still refused to remove it because it’s property of the all powerful and mighty wizard of Virtual pinball.  Why can’t everyone just get along.....

I nixed my post. Dude is irrelevant to the hobby. Don't know why I posted something about him. Bad form.

3 minutes ago, ARMYAVIATION said:

@bord, I checked out that YouTube channel Matt recommended baumgartner restoration, it’s all about art restoration but it’s awesome, you would love it

Sounds awesome. Makes sense that pinball guys would gravitate toward this stuff, right?

• Content Provider

I love anything restoration.  This one parking meter Ian doing now is late 1930s early 1940s.  That’s cool as crap.  Just think some gangster in Chicago may have put a penny in this at one time, but then again he probably didn’t pay

3 minutes ago, Dazz said:

This thread is soooo confusing.... There are so many different directions this has been taken into.

Pretty sure this is the entire future of vpuniverse. One giant freeform thread. Forum jazz at its finest.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, bord said:

Pretty sure this is the entire future of vpuniverse. One giant freeform thread. Forum jazz at its finest.

In that case; I guess I can stop wasting my time on anything else, eh?