Welcome home VPinball Refugees

8 hours ago, Thalamus said:

If I where 3 stones lighter maybe ;)

No idea how much a stone is (maybe near 15 lbs?) but it drives me nuts whenever there's a boxing match on from Europe they announce their weights in stones and ounces... Like those 2 units are so far apart, isn't there an intermediate unit that would make more sense?

Now that I'm thinking about it maybe I've heard stones and lbs too which would make more sense, but I've definitely heard stones and ounces. 

It's great to have a forum to lurk in again :) Instead of hanging around and getting new tables I've been trying to "Rule the Universe" in Attack from Mars. And been out in the workshop too, a little woodwork and pyrography to pass the time

IMG_1413.JPG

• Content Provider
37 minutes ago, JamieP said:

It's great to have a forum to lurk in again :) Instead of hanging around and getting new tables I've been trying to "Rule the Universe" in Attack from Mars. And been out in the workshop too, a little woodwork and pyrography to pass the time

IMG_1413.JPG

Why is it so hard to rule the universe, you can go in the settings and put like 7 balls!!!!!   Maybe more who knows.  I rule the universe with infinite number of balls!!!

1 hour ago, JamieP said:

IMG_1413.JPG

Not familiar with the game but that looks awesome! Nice craftsmanship.

2 hours ago, mlager8 said:

No idea how much a stone is (maybe near 15 lbs?) but it drives me nuts whenever there's a boxing match on from Europe they announce their weights in stones and ounces... Like those 2 units are so far apart, isn't there an intermediate unit that would make more sense?

Now that I'm thinking about it maybe I've heard stones and lbs too which would make more sense, but I've definitely heard stones and ounces. 

Oh, I had to google it myself - the other way around. I'm at least 20 kg. over what I should be. Mostly because of the beer drinking I do admit.

1 hour ago, bord said:

Not familiar with the game but that looks awesome! Nice craftsmanship.

It is a REAL retro game... from around 3000 BC, I found it stumbling around YouTube and decided to make my own and was really surprised when it was really good fun to play. I made about half a dozen of the boards for friends and family as something to keep me busy during lockdowns until I started with the VPin at the end of last year

4 minutes ago, Thalamus said:

Oh, I had to google it myself - the other way around. I'm at least 20 kg. over what I should be. Mostly because of the beer drinking I do admit.

Aint nothing wrong with some dad bod... I'm embracing it myself these days. I know everyone's a sucker for IPAs these days but I love me a good Belgian ale or a hearty unfiltered wheat. 

15 hours ago, ARMYAVIATION said:

With everything going on, I too feel like taking a step back and that’s bad because I was all ready to get back going after my cab rebuild.... ugh

but I do have one person to blame for my lack of interest.. @bord, you got me watching rescue and restore and the first thing I saw was a 1960s Duncan parking meter restore.  Well as of the last 3 days I have 4 now.  Found a sweet double one for $40 on FB, a cool Art Deco one for $35, and another single Duncan for $20 and the finale, a 1940s Duncan for $25 worth about $200.  I am hooked and in full resto mode.  With all these parking meter timers running it sounds like Doc browns lab in here.

I am also restoring a wall box jukebox and finishing up on the magic city and nudge it I bought.  Missed out on a $600 working Firepower the other day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D083EBBA-FBD8-40AD-815C-FC39999E8966.jpeg

D4430403-9489-4D84-AB0D-084C7D1516CF.jpeg

72FB90B9-4793-4AFD-9A94-153E1D2D65ED.jpeg

BFECE04A-774E-4493-807D-6ED99CF076E5.jpeg

963405A1-58BE-4321-9430-9807C56633A7.jpeg

1DCA0BB2-0A00-4DC1-9D44-8DCDAAB8C80B.jpeg

DA277C7E-2555-4D3F-BEC7-6589F27B8AF3.jpeg

I've always wanted to restore a parking meter for the basement, now I really have to find one and do that.  Great work @ARMYAVIATION

• Administrators

I'm so glad that these forums are getting used more.  Glad to have everyone here.

On top of the stuff I've been working on with the website and virtual pinball... Like you guys; I have lots of other side hobbies.

Disc Golf - Got into disc golf about 7 years ago.  This is my getaway when I just want to get away from everything else... 
Competitive Pinball - Yes, this is like virtual pinball, but for real pinball machines.  I compete in local leagues and tournaments around Texas.  Ranked in the top 25 players in the state.  Competed in the Texas State Championships down in Austin right before COVID started.  
Competitive Drone Racing & Aerial Photography - Race in a local racing league and fly aerial photos for friends. Hopefully soon finishing my 107 and going to be able to open a business.

3D Printing & 3D Scanning - Been into 3D printing and tinkering with 3D printers for years.  Have made several custom parts to be used in my other hobbies.  
Laser Cutting & Plasma Cutting - This is a new one to me as I'm sortta being forced into it.  My good buddy owns a foam cutting shop, but wants to branch out.  We've purchased a new laser cutter and plasma cutter.  Waiting delivery on both machines.  I have to learn to create the files and help run the machines.  We are hoping to start a business selling laser cut/engraved LED lit pinball toppers and a couple new product ideas that we have... Most pinball related.

Sometimes it sucks to be me. Being tempted to try another beer pr. example. This is how it is to be me : I live, far away - up in the god damn Arctic. I live in a very expensive country. If the local store don't have it - you can always check the "monopoly". In Norway it is like, if you can't get it, maybe the state's monopoly on alcohol stores, named "Vinmonopolet", can order it for you. Price will go up of course, but, even they, doing a search gives no response to your beer suggestion. Maybe when the pandemic is over. I'll do a Euro trip, making sure I'll go through Belgium and The Czech Republic.

@Dazz For me, VPU has always felt like a good place to be. It was of course impossible to have 2 homes and VPinball took too much of my spare time to do anything else than visit it regularly. As I've said a few times. I like the changes you've done around here. Thank you once again !

• Content Provider

@Dazz  Thanks for everything.  The more I get familiar with VPU the more I like it.  I like the design, layout , features, and of course, the members.  I would do competitive pinball as well if I just simply didn't suck so much at it.  :)  I love pinball but I never said I was any good at it.  Also...while I love them...the later model machines just have too many rules.  My brain can't handle them.  I find my self gravitating more and more to the older pins.  I guess they are more my speed.    

You should not be afraid of any competition. Only getting to know more people is the worst that can come out of it and that is not a negative thing. I must admit though. I don't want to compete in those. I'm a really bad looser and I always believe that someone is cheating if theay beat me ;)

• Content Provider

I guess it's the fear of looking bad in front of my wife.  :) In our house...I am the pinball king.  I've been to several of the competitive events because they always have lots of cool machines to play.  I've watch the guys (and gals) compete and man....they are really good.

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, jino0372 said:

@Dazz  Thanks for everything.  The more I get familiar with VPU the more I like it.  I like the design, layout , features, and of course, the members.  I would do competitive pinball as well if I just simply didn't suck so much at it.  :)  I love pinball but I never said I was any good at it.  Also...while I love them...the later model machines just have too many rules.  My brain can't handle them.  I find my self gravitating more and more to the older pins.  I guess they are more my speed.    

It's not whether you suck or not.. It's a matter of just having fun.  Most leagues are pretty laid back.  Our leagues always correspond with an IFPA tournament as well.  We have people that come for just the league, post their scores, then leave. We have people that come just for the tournament and of course people that stay for both.  We have some very talented players in our groups, some of the best in the country, but they aren't impossible to beat.

I too tend to find myself much better at the older SS/EM games.  The newer game rules seem to be all over the place, high scoring games and they tend to take way too long in tournament play. I can't stand when Iron Maiden is in the rotation...  I do better at some peoples collections than I do at others.

There is a pinball spot not far from where I live called District 82 (formerly Titletown Pinball) that has leagues, casual tournaments, serious tournaments and open pinball on Fridays. I keep telling myself I'm going to try my hand in a tournament but I never do. I'm not very good at pinball but I sure love to play.

34 minutes ago, Badazzwi said:

There is a pinball spot not far from where I live called District 82 (formerly Titletown Pinball) that has leagues, casual tournaments, serious tournaments and open pinball on Fridays. I keep telling myself I'm going to try my hand in a tournament but I never do. I'm not very good at pinball but I sure love to play.

I've played in a tourney at District 82. Great place! Next time I'm in town we should go play in a tournament, @Badazzwi. I'm completely mediocre so you'd be in good company.