PIN2DMD EVO - DMD multicolor now also for DE 128x16 and SEGA 192x64

lucky1

5 hours ago, lucky1 said:

For testing it might be helpful to set the device mode to DE128x16 which is the only correct mode for that configuartion. For Hook Enhancer needs to be set to ON which is default. It only needs to be set OFF for Checkpoint and TMNT. It can be tested on the bench by making a connection with a jumper cable from pin1 to pin 20 (reset) of the cpu connector. If it works you should get the version display of the ROM.

Silly question. Which Pin 1 are you referring to? Pin 1 on the CPU? 

• Content Provider

hi,

I made a couple of vpx tables with flexdmd and i use a second screen to put the flex dmd on. I'm really a noob with solder electronics and i have read many times lucky1 posts here about pin2dmd. but i'm still so confused what to order.  

I thought(2x):
P2.5 Indoor Full Color Led Display Module HUB75,160Mm X 80Mm, 64*32 Pixels, smd Rgb P2.5 Led Panel Matrix, Compatibel Met PIN2DMD|LED Displays| - AliExpress

and one time:
HD W62 75 RGB LED display controller, Full color LED teken module controlekaart, u Schijf en WIFI Draadloze controle|LED Displays| - AliExpress

I also couldn't find anything on aliexpress for the frame, where did you order the frame it has to be send to the Netherlands lol. 

Then use the software of pin2dmd or select it from vpx and then it works?

Am I thinking right or do I miss something and this is not going to work like this?

I hope somebody can help me out! thnx in advance!

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, remdwaas1986 said:

hi,

I made a couple of vpx tables with flexdmd and i use a second screen to put the flex dmd on. I'm really a noob with solder electronics and i have read many times lucky1 posts here about pin2dmd. but i'm still so confused what to order.  

I thought(2x):
P2.5 Indoor Full Color Led Display Module HUB75,160Mm X 80Mm, 64*32 Pixels, smd Rgb P2.5 Led Panel Matrix, Compatibel Met PIN2DMD|LED Displays| - AliExpress

and one time:
HD W62 75 RGB LED display controller, Full color LED teken module controlekaart, u Schijf en WIFI Draadloze controle|LED Displays| - AliExpress

I also couldn't find anything on aliexpress for the frame, where did you order the frame it has to be send to the Netherlands lol. 

Then use the software of pin2dmd or select it from vpx and then it works?

Am I thinking right or do I miss something and this is not going to work like this?

I hope somebody can help me out! thnx in advance!

• Content Provider
11 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

Thnx for you reply. I already read this topic, but i cannot do this and i have send germangamingsupplies.com an message. Thnx for your work lucky1, really apricated for this hobby! It consumes so much time, just like making a table! 

• 9 months later...
  • Content Provider

Hey Guys,

I am working with @Rene368 on an update to the Sega EVO 192x64. Very minor changes but so far we are moving the data connector down and to the right a little bit. I have come across many people lately who have told me their stock ribbon cable is too short. After checking over a bunch of XL DMD's I noticed that maybe there was a version with a different data connector location. Sure you could say just buy a longer ribbon cable, but we both agreed that with a small tweak to the design, it could be made universal. René has finished the relocation but I wanted to check with you guys if you could see any issue to where it has been moved to. Obviously the pins go through the back of the PCB so it had to be in a location that wouldn't interfere with the LED panels. I have a picture of an original DMD and a (badly) photoshopped mockup of the new placement of the connector on the Pin2dmd.

The other things we are looking at are possibly changing the Mini USB to a USB C connector and also possibly changing the location of the USB and SD card reader if it isn't easily accessible at the top after the DMD is back in the speaker panel. As I don't have a Sega XL Machine on hand to check this, maybe someone with one could confirm the location is or isn't easily accessible for us.

If everything works out then we will be releasing the updated design to the community for anyone who would like to use it.

Thanks

s-l1600-2.jpg

evo64new.jpg

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, Terranigma said:

Very minor changes but so far we are moving the data connector down and to the right a little bit.

I have chosen the location it currently has to have the connection to the CPU as short as possible, but your location should also work.

The other things we are looking at are possibly changing the Mini USB to a USB C connector

I have chosen that Mini USB connector because it is throughhole which is more resistant against physical damage.

From time to time I have Discovery and Nucleo users which ripped off the SMD USB connector from the PCB by accident, which is not repairable and they need a new controller. If you use a USB C throughhole connector like this https://www.reichelt.de/usb-3-1-typ-c-buchse-fis-usb-31-c-p304027.html, I´m fine with it.

possibly changing the location of the USB and SD card reader if it isn't easily accessible at the top

It is easy accessible like it is.

• 2 months later...

Hi, 

Has anyone had problems with the pcb evo 192*64 that the last led module does not work?  

I changed the module, ribbon cable and molex connector more than once and they work on another pcb and the problem still persists.  

I took a look at solder spatter but it seems ok, still investigating what the problem would be.  any ideas on what it could be?

Cheers

IMG_20211107_120710.thumb.jpg.0287ff8bb7ca0a6f3c8b2be4a855575e.jpg

Freaking out a bit here y'all. I got a batch of 10 196x64 EVO boards a couple months ago. I just now am trying to put some together. I first 2 I tried, the D1 diode burns out! What could cause this to happen? The first one I used a 18V ps, the 2nd I used a 12V. Any info you can offer me is appreciated!  I'm afraid to try any others.

Edited by reinkc

On 11/19/2021 at 3:06 AM, lucky1 said:

Did you check the power on the last panel ? Does the panel work on another position ?

I checked the voltage with a multimeter on all the connectors on the panels and they are giving a power supply of 4.68v.

I tried changing the position of the last panel to see if this would be the problem, but the last panel still doesn't work on this particular pcb. this panel works on another pcb normally.

New ribbon cable replacements, other modules and re-soldering of the connector on the last panel, but the problem remains.

IMG_20211121_131014~2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Hi Lucky, does the FW need an update to support a 427VIT6 on a DEX16 PCB? It seems to be running faster for scenes, too fast.  I saw you mention this chip is compatible but not sure if an update is needed or if it’s another component causing the extra speed.

Thanks