PIN2DMD EVO - DMD multicolor now also for DE 128x16 and SEGA 192x64

lucky1

• Content Provider

I never mentioned STM32F427VGT6 to be compatible, but looking at the datasheets it should work.

Can you make a picture of the solder jumpers close to the Display ROM on the right named 30,60,120,240 ?

They should not be closed. By default 60 is connected on the PCB. Maybe they closed them accidentially ?

• Content Provider

All I can say from your video, that your problem is somewhere on the right side of the PCB which is the DE controller part and it is not something I can fix in the firmware. Maybe post some pictures of that area and if you have a second board which is working make some comparison measurements.

• Content Provider
7 minutes ago, Terranigma said:

The 427 looks like the main difference is the size of the flash? Which shouldn't affect it.

... and 168Mhz instead of 180Mhz but it is clocked at 168Mhz anyways. You need a minimum of 1MB Flash that´s why VET6 can NOT be used

I can´t read what is written on the Oscillator Y1. It should be 8Mhz. Check / resolder the connections of U3

IMG_0976.jpeg

• Content Provider

Y1 reads 8.000

I checked U3 and connection is good, just the lighting in picture.

I built a 3rd one and same problem.

I have checked all the component numbers in that area and some are slightly different. U4 on a working board is HC259 and on the problem board it is HC259D. I’m not sure if that’s a problem or just a different manufacturer numbering scheme.

Is there any single IC responsible for speed? I could focus on that one. Also could the CPU due to being slightly different not be clocking down for any reason? 

Thanks

• Content Provider

Thank you. Another interesting bit of information is that my older PCB auto detects the correct settings for EVOx16 for the enhancer and device when it is set to Virtual Pinball at boot. With the new PCB it auto detects as Stern Spike. 

Does that give any clue as to what might be going on?

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, Terranigma said:

Thank you. Another interesting bit of information is that my older PCB auto detects the correct settings for EVOx16 for the enhancer and device when it is set to Virtual Pinball at boot. With the new PCB it auto detects as Stern Spike. 

Does that give any clue as to what might be going on?

No because the autodetection is based on the signal clockrate which brings us back to the problem you have.

• Content Provider

Ok. I don't have a scope available to me at this moment, but what you're saying is, one of these components in that picture of the schematic you posted could be bad yes? Or is it possible one of the parts is incorrect too. Would listing the IC/part numbers help narrow down the possible wrong part? 

Thanks

• Content Provider
12 minutes ago, Terranigma said:

one of these components in that picture of the schematic you posted could be bad yes?

I did not say that. What I meant is that I would start my search there. You need to check the signals to narrow it down. Everything else is just guessing.

• Content Provider

Swapped eprom into an older pcb and works fine. Checked the chip model numbers for every IC in that part of the schematic and they either match the old working pcb or match the schematic. Checked all resistors on that side and all check out too. All caps on that side are correct voltage too.

• Content Provider

Again, probably nothing to do with it, but the STM32F427VIT6 has a flash size of 1024kB but it shows 24 sectors available at 00 in DFUSE. When I load the STM32F427VGT6 it shows 12 sectors available at 00 but it has 2048kB flash. So is the sector count less but larger in size and could this affect flashing?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Just posting an update to this issue. It seems the removal of the capacitor at C56 has solved the issue. With help from Lucky it seems to be testing fine. I will make sure all the others work as well and will update if there are any further problems, but I think this should be solved now.