PIN2DMD EVO - DMD multicolor now also for DE 128x16 and SEGA 192x64

lucky1

• 5 months later...

We have installed one of these panels in a DE Star Trek. The display is not sensing the game and we have tried to manually set it to DE 128x16 with no luck. All we get is the PIN2DMD logo. We have tried two different chips from working displays so we believe that is not the issue. We have tried installing the data cable both ways, again, nothing. We tried resetting the display to default. Still nothing.

I've flashed a lot of EVO boards so I don't believe that is the problem unless I somehow corrupted the firmware file when I downloaded it. It is the same file for the 128x32 right? I have 3 more of these displays that we can test with but was wondering if I'm missing something obvious.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dino Z.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I recently received my PIN2DMD model XL boards and I have little doubts.  can you help me?  

I tried to test the operation of this model in device mode in "virtual pinball" but I was unable to make it work.  

I would like to see the operation of the titles in which the display is of this model in a vpin, but I have not found anyone who has done this.  

my other doubt 3 regarding the btn2 button.  In one of my displays, I can't use it to select what I want in the display settings.  

Has anyone ever experienced this?

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2020 at 2:06 AM, lucky1 said:

Luck1, thanks for your reply! it was a dll problem.

I'm currently trying to connect the display to a realpin, specifically to an MSF and I'm not getting an image.
I connected the original display harness to the 18+ connector on the EVO board, but to no avail.

I had a brief image of the PIN2DMD logo and deleted it and had no more image.

Would there be a specific place where I need to pull the power suplly or would this be the way?

I read in some forums something related to 5v, but the EVO model XL seems to me that there are no 5v connections, only on the power board of the realpin display.

I posted this information and the diagram in this other post.

Please let me know if you can help me.  your guidance is much appreciated

Cheers

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, kbueno said:

Luck1, thanks for your reply! it was a dll problem.

I'm currently trying to connect the display to a realpin, specifically to an MSF and I'm not getting an image.
I connected the original display harness to the 18+ connector on the EVO board, but to no avail.

I had a brief image of the PIN2DMD logo and deleted it and had no more image.

Would there be a specific place where I need to pull the power suplly or would this be the way?

I read in some forums something related to 5v, but the EVO model XL seems to me that there are no 5v connections, only on the power board of the realpin display.

I posted this information and the diagram in this other post.

Please let me know if you can help me.  your guidance is much appreciated

Cheers

You can also put a solder bridge between the 2 Ground Pins in the middle of the connector. The latest version of the XL pcb on pcbway has that modification already.

My Batman Forever is running powered by 18V of the original connector without a problem.

38 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

You can also put a solder bridge between the 2 Ground Pins in the middle of the connector. The latest version of the XL pcb on pcbway has that modification already.

My Batman Forever is running powered by 18V of the original connector without a problem.

ok, lucky1.  

let me see if I understood...

for the 18v to work and i can use the original whip from MSF do i need to disassemble the led panel and make a solder bridge between the 2 grounding pins in the middle of the connector shown in the pictures below?  

otherwise it will not work, would it be?  or should it be working with the original whip in the photo?  because the display lit up the logo PIN2DMD and gave no more image ... could it be this welding bridge problem that is needed....

if I want to use the alternative of using the 12v display directly from the MSF Power supply, instead of the 18v to avoid having to disassemble it for welding, can I pull the 12v and the gnd according to the diagram below?

IMG_20200929_114226~2.jpg

Screenshot_2020-09-28-23-02-35-042_com.whatsapp~2.jpg

IMG_20200929_003927~2.jpg

Why would you want to run additional wires when the power supply wire is already there? The adapter I built does the same as soldering a bridge between pins 2 and 3 on the EVO board. Or you could take a short wire and jump pins 2 and 3 on the back of the original connector (see image below, green line). You could do this as a temporary solution just for testing. The idea is to avoid splicing new wires into the game.

If you are getting the logo when you are first turning on the game, then the display is getting power from somewhere. If nothing else is happening after that, you should check the flat ribbon cable coming from the display driver board and make sure you have it plugged in correctly. You may have it reversed.

image.png.f947ac88f8986a3197f2f143c7953c6d.png

• Content Provider

If you get the pin2dmd logo the power should be fine . Then there is a different problem.

Maybe the SEGA Display Controller is not working. or your 5V for the SEGA Display Controller is too low.

Which device mode did you set ? Should be in SEGA 192x 64 mode.

1 hour ago, dzorbas said:

Why would you want to run additional wires when the power supply wire is already there? The adapter I built does the same as soldering a bridge between pins 2 and 3 on the EVO board. Or you could take a short wire and jump pins 2 and 3 on the back of the original connector (see image below, green line). You could do this as a temporary solution just for testing. The idea is to avoid splicing new wires into the game.

If you are getting the logo when you are first turning on the game, then the display is getting power from somewhere. If nothing else is happening after that, you should check the flat ribbon cable coming from the display driver board and make sure you have it plugged in correctly. You may have it reversed.

image.png.f947ac88f8986a3197f2f143c7953c6d.png

Perfect dzorbas, thanks for your guidance!

In reality, the display already has the SD card with the coloring files made by malenko. But as I said, I only receive the signal from the PIN2DMD logo and soon I lose the image.
I will do the test of alternating the flat cable to see if it can solve the problem.
I thought about using 12v as an alternative to solve my problem, but from what you're telling me, it doesn't seem to be a problem of poor nutrition.
My question was because the MSF card seems to me the original connectors are 5v and the PIN2DMD connection is 18v.
So I thought that would be my problem.
But as I see the guidelines, the connections are correct and maybe I need this jumper to solve my problem, but it would not be mandatory for the operation.
I need to check more if this is more of a flat cable issue or something.

9 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

If you get the pin2dmd logo the power should be fine . Then there is a different problem.

Maybe the SEGA Display Controller is not working. or your 5V for the SEGA Display Controller is too low.

Which device mode did you set ? Should be in SEGA 192x 64 mode.

Lucky1, thank you very much for returning.

The display is activated and configured for SEGA 192X64
and with the coloring files on the sd card provided by malenko. (pin2dmd.pal / pin2dmd.fsq)

How can I check if there is a problem with the SEGA Display Controller? Is it necessary to do a 5v test while it is running?
The old display was working.

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, kbueno said:

But as I said, I only receive the signal from the PIN2DMD logo and soon I lose the image.

That indicates that the display power is not the issue. With loosing the image you mean that the pin2dmd image is replaced by a clear screen with no content ?

That would indicate that the signal clock is received but no data is coming from the Sega display controller. Are you sure that the orientation of the cable coming from the SEGA MPU Board  to the display controller is correct ? Some pictures of your installation would help. 

7 hours ago, lucky1 said:

That indicates that the display power is not the issue. With loosing the image you mean that the pin2dmd image is replaced by a clear screen with no content ?

That would indicate that the signal clock is received but no data is coming from the Sega display controller. Are you sure that the orientation of the cable coming from the SEGA MPU Board  to the display controller is correct ? Some pictures of your installation would help. 

Hi lucky1,

I attached some videos that are on the link on google drive.  

video one refers to the video where when I turn on the machine the PIN2DMD logo goes off.  

The second video I inverted the flat cable connections and the PIN2DMD logo remained on, but even when starting the machine the logo freezes on PIN2DMD.

as you can see the original MSF display works perfectly, but the PIN2DMD is stuck on the logo also attached a video of the original display and as you can see the original MSF display works perfectly.

After several attempts with MSF I did the test with it without the coloring files and tried to save the device mode again for SEGA 192X64 and pallete for red.  I restarted and tried again, but to no avail.  The display was frozen in the PIN2DMD logo and with colorprism 3.15 and the device mode configuration no longer appears, even saving the settings.

here are some pictures of my installation.  let me know what i might be doing wrong.

just to clarify, the ribbon flat cable when connected to the red side directed at J2 it appears PIN2DMD logo and immediately afterwards the image erases.  and when the cable is inverted the red side to the opposite side the display is only on the PIN2DMD logo.  The image of the connections refers to the photos already with an inverted cable, as directed.  but I imagine that the other way would be the right way.  red side directed at J2.

Edit: I just did a test of another XL display on a Maverick and the same problem.  I have the PIN2DMD logo frozen during the game.  I also attached a video of it.

I made a demonstration video inverting the Maverick flat cable to clarify what I am saying.

Where am I going wrong with the installation? ???

thank you.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1_Jx7zUSUpdEqNxl-qc26mP206jAD9Z-t

ok lucky1, 

i will do what you said directly through the display menu.  and if it doesn't resolve do you think it is necessary to do a new installation of the files from the beginning from the dfu mode or from what you see in the video do you think that the installation from the beginning would not be necessary?  

just one question, are the connections correct?  the flat red side cable directed to j2 even if there is no image when turning on the machine, would that be the correct side?  

do you think it is a matter of installing firmware and configuration and not some problem related to display data?  

because MSF and maverick are different displays and I have the same problem with the installation and since the configuration of the 128x32 models I never had this type of problem.  This is what I find strange, because the configuration of the SD card is standard for both displays, changing only the .dfu and .upd files that refers to the XL model, and I see no difficulty in that, it seems to me calm and that is not it.  

my doubt would be the physical installation, but if it is in the right way, it does not seem to be something of the SD card.  but I’ll do what you’ve told me to do and let you know later.  do you think there may be a problem on the display where it is not receiving data from the machine?  is there a practical test to verify that everything is correct?  

sorry for the inconvenience but i would just like to understand why this is happening and the cause of it, as the standard 128x32 models are in full operation.

• Content Provider

i will do what you said directly through the display menu.  and if it doesn't resolve do you think it is necessary to do a new installation of the files from the beginning from the dfu mode or from what you see in the video do you think that the installation from the beginning would not be necessary?  

No

just one question, are the connections correct?  the flat red side cable directed to j2 even if there is no image when turning on the machine, would that be the correct side?  

dmdinput-300x99.jpg

You can also run the input test. You have to run it without a pinball machine connected. It displays which of the input pins 1,3,5,7,11 (and 13 for Nucleo and EVO boards) is connected to ground (2,4,6,8,10,12,14). 

• Content Provider

I tested the flat cable data connector without success.  by the way he doesn't recognize the flat cable or am I wrong?  What do you think of this?  is this the problem?  if so how should i proceed?  will i lose my pcbs???

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1b72SsjmOL8nf1ySok6K6NXNA7Zl1lIeMs

DID YOU READ THE INSTRUCTIONS ?? YOU NEED TO CONNECT THE OTHER SIDE OF THE JUMPER CABLE TO GROUND (PIN 2,4,6,8,10,12 or 14). !!!!

6 hours ago, lucky1 said:

DID YOU READ THE INSTRUCTIONS ?? YOU NEED TO CONNECT THE OTHER SIDE OF THE JUMPER CABLE TO GROUND (PIN 2,4,6,8,10,12 or 14). !!!!

I'm sorry lucky1,

I forgot the gnd in the previous video.  my head caught trying to solve.  

I did new tests and without success.  

I did the reset config (onscreen menu) and with the ribbon cable turned to the correct side (red side in j2), the display was connected with the logo but without success.  

I did the test with gnd connected together and the display on one of the display boards it seems to me that pins 10 and 9 did not work.  the rest were ok. 

the video was accidentally recorded in half, but I tested all of the pins flat conector and all the others worked except for pins 10 and 9, as shown in the video. what can that be?

what else could i try.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1b72SsjmOL8nf1ySok6K6NXNA7Zl1lIeM

• Content Provider
6 hours ago, kbueno said:

I did new tests and without success.  

In the instructions is written "It displays which of the input pins 1,3,5,7,11" Pin 9 is not on that list and can´t be tested. Since you said all others tested successfully, the input is fine. Did you save the settings after setting them to default ?

Another thing you can test, is install the 128x32 DFU file on the board and connect it to a 128x32 machine (preferably a DataEast) If it is working there your pin2dmd is fine. 

thanks for returning lucky1,

yes after I reset the display menu settings I went to the save option to complete the procedure.  

unfortunately i won't be able to test on an date east.

I am testing 3 different displays from the same batch, one on each MSF, Maverick and BAtman machine and all basically had the same problem.  

I really don't know what else to do, do you think that if I reinstall the firmware from the beginning or even try a previous version it might not work?

• Content Provider

My Batman Forever is running V3.15 without a problem, so the only thing that might be is that you have a corrupted download. Put the V3.15 Update file on the SD to write it again, but I don´t think that fixes your problem. Do you have another 128x32 machine you can test with ?

Here is a picture of my installation. Maybe you can spot a difference.

IMG_2660.jpg

2 hours ago, lucky1 said:

My Batman Forever is running V3.15 without a problem, so the only thing that might be is that you have a corrupted download. Put the V3.15 Update file on the SD to write it again, but I don´t think that fixes your problem. Do you have another 128x32 machine you can test with ?

Here is a picture of my installation. Maybe you can spot a difference.

IMG_2660.jpg

Thanks for the photo lucky1,

I am currently without machines with 128x32 display in my house to test. They are in space for games in another city.
What I don't understand is why the plasma display works and pin2dmd doesn't work. I can't understand it.
The installation looks ok to me.
Is power supply one of the factors that can also be, or can I already eliminate this hypothesis, because it is being fed and the PIN2DMD logo appears?
Today I'm going to do the tests by restarting the firmware.