PIN2DMD EVO - DMD multicolor now also for DE 128x16 and SEGA 192x64

lucky1

3 hours ago, Slampt said:

Hey All, 

Firstly, I am sorry if this is the wrong place to post, I am seeking advise on a recently purchased 128x16 for a DE Hook.

Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, when you first turn the game on and the display lights up, what does it say under the pin2dmd logo? And do you have the data cable inserted properly? Also, I'm assuming you checked the solder bridges that are shown above and that you have the ROM positioned properly (I can't recall if Hook is the longer or shorter ROM).

Have to ask the stupid questions first so we understand what you have checked. Perhaps you can post a picture of the back of the board as it currently sits.

It says Colourprism (in Blue), then goes to DataEast/Sega (In red).

Yup tripled checked Data Cable.
Just tested the solder bridges to Ground, 1, 3, 5, 7, 11 and 13 can be closed to GND ok. 

Image of the ROM attached. It was installed with Pin 1 / Notch with correct orientation, I have just removed it to take the pick and diagnose my issue.

IMG_2415.jpeg

I'm pretty sure after you do a "factory reset" it should come up with DE 128x16 by default. I don't think you have to change any settings. Someone else might have to chime in on this, I've only installed one in a DE game and I can't recall if I had to change anything.

Again, I'm assuming that you tested that ROM in your original display and you've also tried the pin2dmd without a memory card plugged into it.

Thanks for the help thus far dzorbas, 

I am just doing the reset through the config menu, saving then the dmd reboots. When it boots back up it shows Virtual Pinball.

Rom came out of working display, I am upgrading to colour :) so worse case I can revert. I have also tried with memory card removed.

So the display is not sensing that it's in the game. Has the display been activated? If you go through the menu and display the ID it should not say "Not Activated". Again, I believe you should still get something showing up on the display even if it isn't activated but you may want to check that.

Should you not get this sorted out and get a refund, I know where you can get another one... ?

• Content Provider

I've got an x16 display here with TMNT that I can check if it auto senses once reset. I think the other guys have covered all the bases but would you be able to post a picture again of the CPU, the solder bridges etc now that you have changed those? Just so we can double check.

Thanks. Picture of the bridges attached. I’m not able to take a photo of the cpu with correct orientation, will do that tomorrow. The next thing for me to do is check connectivity from cpu pins to Rom and replacing the cpu to ensure it’s not due to this one being fried. ?

9338F54F-520C-483C-9325-6ADFCE9A9E0D.jpeg

• Content Provider

Thanks. Some of those look a little rough but if you checked continuity and are sure they are bridged then it shouldn't be that.

I have just found something interesting that may be part of how it's implemented or maybe not but even if you haven't set the correct settings and it boots to Virtual Pinball on the display, while the machine and display are still running I was able to hit the reset button and it all auto sensed. TMNT needs enhancer set to off so even while it was not on the correct setting hitting reset seemed to have detected it all. So I would give that a try.

I am running one without an SD card that hasn't been activated so you can rule out any of those things having any bearing on no display. 

If the jumpers aren't all closed, the cpu is in the wrong way or the eprom isn't making proper contact with the socket you will never get it to sense.

The last thing would be after you have checked all of the above is to swap the orientation of the grey data cable. 

I have attached a picture of the correct orientation for the CPU.

IMG_6915.jpg

• Content Provider
8 hours ago, dzorbas said:

I'm pretty sure after you do a "factory reset" it should come up with DE 128x16 by default. I don't think you have to change any settings. Someone else might have to chime in on this, I've only installed one in a DE game and I can't recall if I had to change anything.

Just tested this, for me it comes up with Virtual Pinball, it doesn't auto sense unless you either press the reset button (upon reboot it goes back to Virtual Pinball) or you set the correct device manually. 

Continuity tested on the bridges ok. They are a bit rough, I’m not the greatest ad soldering and I didn’t have the appropriate tip for my iron. 

i tried rolling the ribbon cable and can confirm the cpu is now correct orientation wise. Will post pic tomorrow.

• Content Provider
1 minute ago, Slampt said:

Continuity tested on the bridges ok. They are a bit rough, I’m not the greatest ad soldering and I didn’t have the appropriate tip for my iron. 

i tried rolling the ribbon cable and can confirm the cpu is now correct orientation wise. Will post pic tomorrow.

Ok if your bridges are correct, the CPU is in the right way and your eprom is making full contact please let us know what you are getting on your display. If it is just Virtual Pinball I would press the "reset" button on the back of the PIN2DMD while it is running. If that doesn't work I would then change the ribbon cable around (again) and reboot everything, wait for it to display Virtual Pinball (or DE etc) and hit the reset button. If all of this doesn't work then there is something else going on. 

• Content Provider

For testing it might be helpful to set the device mode to DE128x16 which is the only correct mode for that configuartion. For Hook Enhancer needs to be set to ON which is default. It only needs to be set OFF for Checkpoint and TMNT. It can be tested on the bench by making a connection with a jumper cable from pin1 to pin 20 (reset) of the cpu connector. If it works you should get the version display of the ROM.

1 hour ago, lucky1 said:

For testing it might be helpful to set the device mode to DE128x16 which is the only correct mode for that configuartion. For Hook Enhancer needs to be set to ON which is default. It only needs to be set OFF for Checkpoint and TMNT. It can be tested on the bench by making a connection with a jumper cable from pin1 to pin 20 (reset) of the cpu connector. If it works you should get the version display of the ROM.

Is there a description/explanation somewhere for what the Enhancer does on the EVO boards? I tried to read as many posts as I can here and on other sites but I don't think I've ever seen this explained. And are TMNT and Checkpoint the only ones where it needs to be set?

Apologies in advance if this has been asked before.