PIN2DMD EVO - DMD multicolor now also for DE 128x16 and SEGA 192x64

lucky1

• Content Provider

Almost one year ago we presented the PIN2DMD EVO128x32 all-in-one controller board. The plug and play design received a lot of positive feedback and pinball ethusiasts from all over the world successfully built several hundred PIN2DMDs using the ordering information published on github. PIN2DMD firmware now supports Sega 192x64 display mode for almost 2 years now and is successfully running in more than 100 machines. One and a half year ago we successfully added support for DataEast 128x16 machines. To round things up I decided to also design a EVO board for my private DataEast 128x16 Checkpoint machine and my Sega 192x64 Batman FE pinball. To make sure that there are no errors in the pcb layout I ordered a test run (10 pieces) from the chinese pcb manufacturer called pcbway. They offer turnkey manufacturing service at a good price which means they not only manufacture the pcb but also source the parts and mount them on the pcb.  All infomation can be found here https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/hardware. You receive a fully functional pcb and only need mount the RGB display panels and solder the power connector for the panels to the pcb to get a fully working pin2dmd hardware. The pcb uses the original power plugs like installed in the DE and SEGA machines as these connectors supply enough amps to drive the panels (not like WPC power DMD power plugs which would get overloaded) As always pcb design can be used free by everyone no matter if for personal use, to organize a group buy or sell them in a shop. I still don´t commercially sell any hardware. Here are some pictures of my testboards. evo128x16b.thumb.jpeg.0030929782d970c9578332ca62f975de.jpegevo128x16f.thumb.jpg.8431f7b4984f857251e734ba75b9c644.jpgevo192x64b.thumb.jpg.3460759bee022f54fb05d7a20845d91e.jpgevo192x64f.thumb.jpg.5cfd43e45bf50a47363b89bf020a5a65.jpg

evo128x16c.jpeg

• lucky1 pinned this topic
  • 2 months later...
  • Content Provider
4 hours ago, dzorbas said:

What LED panels are being used for the 192x64 setup? I have a friend that has ordered 10 PCBs from PCBWay is looking for the proper LED panels. Are these P2.5 64x64 with 1/32 scan rate?

Thanks,

Dino Z.

From https://pin2dmd.com/hardware/

To build a replacement display for Sega 192×64 you need three 64×64 panels with 2.0mm spacing (P2) . These panels measure 128x128mm and result in a total display size of 128x384mm which is nearly the same size as the original Sega panels.

There's no mention of scan rate for the larger panels but I'm assuming 1/32.
I apologize in advance if this is obvious to some people. I'm not an engineer. [emoji849]
Thanks,
DZ.

Sorry if I sound like an asshole but you should console research, and I mean seriously research. We did some mistakes ourselves, some of them very expensive. You want to join the Pin2dmd experience then you should have a read. That’s what most of us did and lucky1 provided all needed information!

Actually you are coming across that way. I've done a lot of research. I've read just about everything that I can on here, I've read as much as I can on pinside and on the pin2dmd site. Some things aren't clear and/or obvious and/or consistent. I've tried not to bother too many people with my questions but I thought that's what these communities are for - sharing and helping. I thought the idea was to try to assist others so that they didn't make the same mistakes. I guess you don't believe in paying it forward and feel we all need to suffer a bit, just as you have in the past.

Similar to our private discussion on where to get the proper LED boards when you told me you couldn't divulge your source because you make a living doing this, very helpful. Like I'm trying to put you out of business or something...

In the time it took you to spout off at me, you could have answered the question 10 times over. But that's okay, I will figure it out eventually, with or without your help.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

If the software is correctly loaded and no SD card is inserted the red led will turn on .

Are you sure you took the "UPGRADE" button in the DFUSE software. If you took the "UPLOAD" button instead
you saved the flash content of the cpu to your disk drive and may have overwritten the firmware file with a backup
of a empty flash. Please download the firmware again from here https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/blob/master/firmware/latest/EVO128x32_EVO128x16/PIN2DMD.dfu
and use the "UPGRADE" button.

• Content Provider

The file size shown is too big. The DFU file in my repo is 426.293bytes . Also the Product ID and Version is 0000 in my DFU file.
I´m pretty sure you are using a defective file.  Please download again, check the filesize and upgrade again.

https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/blob/master/firmware/latest/EVO128x32_EVO128x16/PIN2DMD.dfu

• Content Provider
6 hours ago, fly said:

as soon as I turn the 5V power on and off several times, a blurred image appears on the display and from time to time the image with PIN2DMD appears briefly

Never had this problem with professionally soldered pcbs.