New Stuff Coming Soon!

zebulon

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry for arriving so late to the party, but do this fancy gear use ones old plunger rod to get both analogue plunger AND real nudge?  :P

If so, I could get rid of my old xpadder and still be able nudge + use my allread installed plunger!!!

Sign me up for one!  :wub:

Sorry for the late reply guys, I steppedaway from the internet for a bit there yesterday.... :)

randr brings up a good point thatI'll be verifying today. As it sits, the unit is as wide as the distance between the 2 mounting screws in a standard plunger assembly, in other words, 39mm (1 1/2"). It will be tight, but should still work. I'll dig out that old cabinet I have stuffed at the back of the shop to verify this and get some pics. In a worst case scenario (long fliiper button shafts) the unit can be rotated 45% on the rod assembly to give more clearance.

alternate mount.bmp

And yes, it can be retrofitted to any standard plunger assembly that you may already have in your cab. I'll do a video of the assembly process, but it really just boils down to removing whatever else you may have attached to the plunger and pressing this unit on in its place. The only issue that I have come across is that the older nanotech plungers were cut down in length so it may be necessary to remove the spring retaining clip on those plungers in order to get enough shaft insertion on the slide assembly to ensure that it satys attached. This unit also adds 1/2" to the length of the plunger inside the cab, so it may not work for those that have their playfield tvs tight to the plunger already.

There's exactly 5/8" between the side of the cab and the side of the housing in normal orientation (I used a front panel that I had cut up from a cab assembly so the measurement from the side is accurate but the measurement from the top down isn't)

post-27-0-49516600-1405264150_thumb.jpgpost-27-0-58539900-1405264168_thumb.jpg

Based on the measurements I took from my flipper button on the test bed (1 3/8" button) you need 1/2" -5/8" clearance depending on your contact gap, (the test bed is using a 1/8" gap) when the button is mounted directly to the cabinet side (side armour would subtract roughly 1/16" from that).

It's tight, but will work. I haven't got any of the leaf switch adapters here to test, so I'm going by standard leaf switches screwed directly to the cabinet sides.

Obviously, if you were to enlarge the opening by 1/8" and shift the plunger inboard on the cabinet by that 1/8" it would be optimal. I can shave the side of the housing by 1/16" but any further than that would likely make the housing flimsy. 

Nothing I can do about making the housing any smaller but, hot off the cnc...

post-27-0-01442900-1405356410_thumb.jpg post-27-0-31924700-1405356423_thumb.jpg

and yes, it would be a great candidate for injection molding and if anyone would like to commit to 5-10,00 of them I'll happily look into it... :)

post-27-0-49368700-1405356494_thumb.jpg post-27-0-86210100-1405356505_thumb.jpg

Thanks Wildman.

Turns out the cnc missed some steps so I'll have to slow the feedrate down and redo them, it's a fairly intricate design with pockets inside of pockets and with the styling grooves I can't do too much sanding so I'm trying to find that 'sweet spot' where the cutter doesn't skip around too much.

LOL...yeah, I've looked at those too. I think they're a double edged sword though.

You can design and prototype exactly what you want, but then the trick is to find someone that will run them off for a reasonable price in small batches. The time and material involved in this design makes it cost prohibitive to get them 3d printed.

I could see me being very frustrated with a 3d printer in that I'd have great designs that I couldn't get produced.

• Content Provider

So this is my question, as I was going to install the original nanotech plunger in my cab tomorrow or the next day.

Would it be better for me to just wait until these are ready?

It looks as if it may need more space then the nanotech, and I don't want to cut unnecessary holes in my cab

Well, after 10hrs of milling (I can just imagine the power bill next month)....

post-27-0-51108000-1405631632_thumb.jpgpost-27-0-29727800-1405631657_thumb.jpgpost-27-0-99448100-1405631671_thumb.jpgpost-27-0-58375200-1405631679_thumb.jpg

A full 1/4" narrower so clearance issues are non-existent in standard cab locations.

So here's where we're at....

While I have full confidence in the performance of the plunger, I'm still hesitant to do a general release until it has had some real world testing. I don't want to get into a situation where I have sent a gigillion of these out there and then find a flaw in the performance or coding that I couldn't test for here (not having a cab has its limitations).  I don't want to tread on the path others before me have paved.

What I need are 8 guinea pigs of the finest caliber (already have 2), willing to go forth with the spring-loaded-dildo-of-doom that I have created and whomp the hell out of it. Some might call this beta testing....I like to think of it as heading off trouble at the pass.

I'm offering plungers to the first 8 brave souls that respond to this (and meet the criteria) for $125 plus shipping (including the plunger rod, $100 without). The only caveat that I have is that I need the feedback on the good and the bad, and that you be somewhat comfortable with loading software through the arduino IDE (if we need to fix code...goodness, the cat's out of the bag.....as I don't want to be shipping these things back and forth to make revisions.)

I wish I could just offer up 8 of these for free to the testers but unfortunately this project has been a huge investment both in time and money and the reality of the situation is that I'm way too over-extended with this one to be in a position to do that.

Obviously, if there is a major flaw you will receive a brand spanking new replacement from any revision batch that we need to make, I'm too far gone investment-wise in this thing to give up at any point.  If I stroke out over this then the insurance money will be the source of your refund.

I'll start a thread on my site in the forums for the testers to make their reports in, which will be open for all to view, so that I can localize the info for my use in overcoming any possible issues.

Beta report thread can be found here....... http://www.zebsboards.com/index.php/forum/up/70-plunger-beta-test-reports

Once I have the funding I can order in the parts and we can be rocking....I figure I can start shipping as early as the end of next week.

Testers waiting for commital (or something like that... :)) :

ArcadesRfun...nice guy, probably works harder than I do....(of course those kittens and cats in the youtube videos work harder than I do) :D

Maxxsinner....(questionably competent but will do in a pinch after last call).... :D

Uncle Willy.....you can infer what you like from his name.... :D

gtxJoe.........I got nuthin' for this one.... :D

jadflat....be easier to think up a smart comment if it was flat JD...but who mixes JD anyway?... :D

randr....he's gonna re-use and recycle a plunger (lame I know, getting tired)... :D

loafmeister.....need I say more?... :D

SirCheddar....Cheesed off with customs.... :D

Dazz

Peabo

Lightpin

NeoHusky

and that should be a good base to start with.

0 available

Archived