[New VP10 Alert] Police Force (Williams 1989) VPW

Police Force (Williams 1989) VPW

“573… Be on the lookout. We’ve got a new VPW release on the loose.”

This one has been a looong time coming. A few years ago, gtxjoe stripped this mod of a mod down, added fleep sounds and nfozzy physics, dialed in the ramp—basically did all the VPX specific stuff with a special precision and flare only a VPX O.G. long time veteran like gtxjoe could do. Then Benji went on a long hiatus, possibly never to return.

Was Police Force to be on-hold forever? That’s what it looked like. But then…

Enter Niwak, revolutionizing VPX into the next era. And after seeing what could be done with the new light-baking with Blender Toolkit, Benji had to come back and finish what he started. First, he had to learn Blender. Uh…okay. But that turned out to be doable (with many tips from Tomate, Bord, Flux and more).

And with tons of help from this whole bang-up crew—this tool-kitted version of Police Force is finally out in the wild.

Special thanks to Jon Osborn who let Benji take apart, photograph, and measure a Police Force pin he was fixing up, which is what got this whole project moving forward.

VPW SQUAD

Benji - table lead, toolkit lighting/rendering

Apophis - toolkit script-side integration, miscellaneous script magic - lieutenant programmer

GTXJoe - Initial table side development

Flux - LOTS of toolkit tech support and bug squashing while Benji learned the ropes

Tomate - Plastic Ramp modeling, lots of miscellaneous help and tips for Blender and Toolkit

Sixtoe - Table tweaks and improvements

BradX - Full playfield and plastics redraw

TastyWasps - VR Room

Leojreimroc  - VR Backglass and fixes

Niwak - Blender Magickit

Flupper - Police car model

VPW testing crew – PinStratsDan, Studlygoorite, Eighties8, HauntFreaks, bietekwiet, ClarkKent, jsm174, somatik, BountyBob, DgrimmReaper, bord

Hi team , first want to said that i am in love of all your release. i am facing a real strange issue since the Last Action hero 1.2 release. Vpx 10.8 64 freeze at starting game scripts phase (loading). didn't get it with lord of ring . had it one time with Johnny Mnemonnic. was able to launch last action 1.1 after deleting the .cfg and nvam in  vpinmame ...

any idea?

$

update : not related to the release but to Vpinmame 64bit having hard time with altsound (my rom was configured altsound 2) 

Edited by kriven

I've noticed a strange issue experienced on both this game and Defender. Playing both in the latest VPX 8 beta and 64bit. Occasionally, there's a thin white vertical line that flashes on the left of the playfield. On the few occasions its happened, it was during a multiball. Everything else runs smoothly. Any ideas as to possible cause? Thanks all. 

I have seen these white flashes as well.

I'm also struggling with getting consistently high-res table textures. I can only get them if I set to unlimited textures. Last night, when I did that, everything looked great. My system struggled to play the table smoothly, but it looked as it should. Today, for some reason, texture setting doesn't seem to matter: getting the blurry textures in all cases, whether launched from VPX direct or my front-end. I've tried setting it unlimited and restarting VPX, switching to lower textures then back to unlimited, deleting the cache file for the table, and running the table in 10.8 DX *and* 10.8 GL. Seemingly can't get back to high-res textures in the game no matter what I've tried.

Edited by lminimart

OK figured out my issue with textures was a bug related to table-specific ini files not working as they should:

https://github.com/vpinball/vpinball/issues/721

That said, the only thing more I could possibly ask for with this truly incredible release would be for the textures to look better when set lower than unlimited. I get much better performance when textures are set to 2048, which looks very decent on tables like BBB or X-Men, but on this table looks really terrible for some reason. Thanks for the great release!

2 hours ago, JSpradlin said:

Has anybody else had sticky flippers with this table?

Nope. Make sure you have cabinet mode checked in F1 menu, make sure b2s settings are EXE and not standard. Make sure you have synchronization mode set to vertical sync in vpx video/graphics prefs (vpx 10.8)

On 9/2/2023 at 5:17 PM, lminimart said:

OK figured out my issue with textures was a bug related to table-specific ini files not working as they should:

https://github.com/vpinball/vpinball/issues/721

That said, the only thing more I could possibly ask for with this truly incredible release would be for the textures to look better when set lower than unlimited. I get much better performance when textures are set to 2048, which looks very decent on tables like BBB or X-Men, but on this table looks really terrible for some reason. Thanks for the great release!

Do you still see the occasional white flashes or have you managed to eradicate them somehow?

1 hour ago, lminimart said:

I have seen it on many tables, and seems like multiball is where I see it most.

I'm not seeing the MSAA samples option...?

in VPX Video Graphics Option, if its activated try disable it and use unlimeted Texture Dimension. I couldnt play the newer VPW Tables with MSAA but when i deactivated MSAA  it works. I play only VR but maybe that helps in 2D too.

1 hour ago, lminimart said:

I'm simply not seeing the option at all .... but I can be pretty blind to things right in front of my face! Where is it in this screen cap? Do you possibly mean SMAA anti-aliasing?

image.png.3ad872111c0f79b93c3949ea5b165e72.png

Okay forget what i was saying i am using 10.8 GL thats different to your version sorry i was on the wrong train. In that case i was talking bs...

Excited to play this like I am any new VPW release!

Two issues:

1. Says VPinMAME ver 3.6 beta or later is required for PWM flashers.  They have been disabled for now.  Please restart the table.

But I do have 3.6 beta installed.  So I don't get it!

2.  Says Fatal Error: unable to create texture! E_OUTOFMEMORY (0x800700e: Ran out of memory) at D:\a\vpinball\vpinball\Sampler.cpp:323.   Is it talking RAM or video RAM?  How much do I need to play this table?

Thanks!

Edited by Friffy1
Specifics of error

5 minutes ago, Friffy1 said:

Excited to play this like I am any new VPW release!

Two issues:

1. Says VPinMAME ver 3.6 beta or later is required for PWM flashers.  They have been disabled for now.  Please restart the table.

But I do have 3.6 beta installed.  So I don't get it!

2.  Says Fatal Error: unable to create texture! E_OUTOFMEMORY (0x800700e: Ran out of memory) at D:\a\vpinball\vpinball\Sampler.cpp:323.   Is it talking RAM or video RAM?  How much do I need to play this table?

Thanks!

Make sure you're running this table with the 64bit version of the latest VPX 10.8 beta, otherwise you're likely going to get out of memory issues.

13 hours ago, robertms said:

Make sure you're running this table with the 64bit version of the latest VPX 10.8 beta, otherwise you're likely going to get out of memory issues.

Thanks!  Figured it out.  Turns out only the 32bit version of VPinMAME ver 3.6 beta was actually installed.  Somehow I still had 3.4 64bit.  I installed 3.6 beta 64bit and it cleared up both errors.