New release: v1.10.0

freezy

• Content Provider
11 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

Our changes do not address that problem. Maybe @Funkyman wants to have a look at it. 

Gottlieb Strikes N Spares has 2 DMDs and the data is sent alternately. Maybe you can either open two displays or open one display with 128x64 pixel and split the data.

Interesting, that's a problem for a different day! :) but good to know what it does.

Hi guys, and thanks a lot for this update.

I've done 5 hours of testing, and I probably missed something, because I've got a lot of problems with this 1.10 update (and never had issues before).

I use a LCD screen as a DMD, and I've tested all the combinations of new settings of v1.10 (scale x2 / doubler , HD or not) without success to solve my issues.

For instance, I've noticed that a lot of 16 colours colorizations which were perfectly working with 1.09 have now big bugs, like Flintstones (some completly brown scenes during colorized animations), The Getaway (white scenes without colours during animations or colors that strangely change during an animation), Last Action Hero (same thing than Getaway), and the worst case is Medieval Madness for which all the animations are now just red (only the scores remains colorized)... I could give a lot of other exemples, and I don't understand what happened, because there are also a lot of others colorisations that are still working perfectly (Ripley, TAF, AFM...), no matter if they are "old" 16 colors or "new" 64 colors. So this is really strange...

What did I missed ? Or do I have to wait an update that could correct these "bugs" ? What should I check / try to change ?

Any help appreciated, thank you.

UPDATE : I've try to downgrade to 1.09, and almost 100% of bugs disappeared EXCEPT (but so far I didn't test all my colorizations) for The Getaway (still some white scenes) and Medieval Madness that desperatly remains all red ! Of course, these two colrizations were perfectly working before, I really don't understand why it no longer works ???

• Content Provider
4 hours ago, Zedixair said:

Hi guys, and thanks a lot for this update.

I've done 5 hours of testing, and I probably missed something, because I've got a lot of problems with this 1.10 update (and never had issues before).

I use a LCD screen as a DMD, and I've tested all the combinations of new settings of v1.10 (scale x2 / doubler , HD or not) without success to solve my issues.

For instance, I've noticed that a lot of 16 colours colorizations which were perfectly working with 1.09 have now big bugs, like Flintstones (some completly brown scenes during colorized animations), The Getaway (white scenes without colours during animations or colors that strangely change during an animation), Last Action Hero (same thing than Getaway), and the worst case is Medieval Madness for which all the animations are now just red (only the scores remains colorized)... I could give a lot of other exemples, and I don't understand what happened, because there are also a lot of others colorisations that are still working perfectly (Ripley, TAF, AFM...), no matter if they are "old" 16 colors or "new" 64 colors. So this is really strange...

What did I missed ? Or do I have to wait an update that could correct these "bugs" ? What should I check / try to change ?

Any help appreciated, thank you.

UPDATE : I've try to downgrade to 1.09, and almost 100% of bugs disappeared EXCEPT (but so far I didn't test all my colorizations) for The Getaway (still some white scenes) and Medieval Madness that desperatly remains all red ! Of course, these two colrizations were perfectly working before, I really don't understand why it no longer works ???

Thanks for testing but sorry to say all the information you give is useless to trackdown a issue if there is one. Instead of a description with "lot of" or "some" we would need a exact description of the scene when the problem happens. Best would be a video which can be recorded with dmd ext easily by setting enabled to true in the video section and giving a path where the video should be stored.  A dump of your gameplay would also be helpful. Additionally we would need the exact version of the colorization to reproduce your problem. e.g. I tested with Medieval Madness 2.0 and HS2_vPin_v0.7.1 and did not see a problem. Thanks !

Really excited to see the update here.  Thank you for taking time to put this out!

I have seen a couple issues since installing this version.  When running dmdext with fx3 or Future Pinball the PIN2DMD doesn't show the default colors of the source (usually orange), but rather uses white with some blue highlights.  If I activate the virtual dmd the colors are properly rendered with the virtual dmd while showing the incorrect colors on the PIN2DMD.  Also, if I use PUPDMDControl.exe to mirror FX3 DMDs (which uses the DmdDevice.dll), the PIN2DMD renders the DMD with proper colors. This issue occurs for me with both the 32 bit and 64 bit version of dmdext.  I used Medieval Madness and Circus Voltaire to test this on FX3 and Attack from Mars to test on future pinball.  

I have also seen som incorrect coloring on The Addams Family color rom in visual pinball (10.7) when it first loads (the colors on the text for creepy kooky, etc), but other than that seems fine with the rest of the animations in The Addams Family.  I haven't had tome to do too much more on visual pinball, but loading up Addams Family I noticed this.  I will try and get a screen grab or picture of it this evening and update this post.  I am using the 2.1 versions of the rom colorization found here:

For reference, I have a PIN2DMD with firmware 4.31 and was previously running a combination of freezy's dll with the older lucky dll for Pup-packs only and have not seen any of these issues.  If further information is needed for troubleshooting I am happy to provide it when I'm back in front of my machine. :)

38 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

Thanks for testing but sorry to say all the information you give is useless to trackdown a issue if there is one. Instead of a description with "lot of" or "some" we would need a exact description of the scene when the problem happens. Best would be a video which can be recorded with dmd ext easily by setting enabled to true in the video section and giving a path where the video should be stored.  Additionally we would need the exact version of the colorization to reproduce your problem. e.g. I tested with Medieval Madness 2.0 and HS2_vPin_v0.7.1 and did not see a problem. Thanks !

OK, I understand... 😅

I've updated from 1.09 to 1.10 by overwriting the files (if it can help). I didn't use the installer (I never did since v1.07).

Some 64 colours work perfectly, like "Party Zone 1.0.0" (here on VPU), or "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles DE Pin2dmd" (also here).

I have the worst issues with :

- "Medieval Madness 2.0 colorization", because everything is just red, except the score / number of credits / ball...

- "Sega Frankenstein Colorization", which doesn't work at all

I have smaller issues with some 64 colors

-exemple #1  with "Last Action Hero" (VPU), during the opening scene, the helicopter is white (instead of green)... (among other issues)

-exemple #2  with "Lord of the Rings - LOTR" (64 colours from VPU), in the battle with the Ents : after the ent throws the rock without colour issue, the end of the scene plays a second time (rock that hits the wall) but everything is brown...(among other issues)

-exemple #3  with "High Speed 2 - The Getaway: 64 colors incl. video mode 0.7.2" , because everything is white during the video mode, and in the scene when the car stops in front of the Donut Heaven (among other issues).

I've also got some issues with 16 colours which were working flawlessly with v1.09. For instance, with "The Flintsones - VPIN" (from VPU), everything turns brownish during the dino race...

As I've done a downgrade to 1.09, I can't make some vids, sorry...

PS : as a modo on a FB group for pincab owners/makers, I can tell that other users have some of the same issues I have.

Whatever, thank you again for all time and your hard work for the community. 👍

@outhere I've installed and have run three tables with the new version now. First I tried monster bash with the old 16 color files, then IJPA with what I believe was a 64 color I've put on hold (will verify later on) I then installed the 64 color for lotr and that was working too. Had one scene where the anim started playing very fast, don't remember the name of that mode; but, where you're first task is to shoot the vuk. Started fast, then fell over to a brownish color for the rest of the sequence. All in all, seems like a keeper to me. I would be surprised if we didn't have any bugs on first release to be honest and I love the upgrade already !!

All I did was to add the 2 new options to my current ini file.

Will of course experiment some more with other options in the near future :)

16 minutes ago, Thalamus said:

@outhere I've installed and have run three tables with the new version now. First I tried monster bash with the old 16 color files, then IJPA with what I believe was a 64 color I've put on hold (will verify later on) I then installed the 64 color for lotr and that was working too. Had one scene where the anim started playing very fast, don't remember the name of that mode; but, where you're first task is to shoot the vuk. Started fast, then fell over to a brownish color for the rest of the sequence. All in all, seems like a keeper to me. I would be surprised if we didn't have any bugs on first release to be honest and I love the upgrade already !!

All I did was to add the 2 new options to my current ini file.

Will of course experiment some more with other options in the near future :)

Okay thanks for the Info just trying to help someone that has PinDMD3

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, Zedixair said:

I've seen your crash dump for this and I can reproduce it locally. here's the catch, the colorization vni is corrupt.. it can't decompress the decoded VniAnimationFrames.  @lucky1 is there any change of version for that decompressed format that could cause this? I'm assuming it's whomever exported that might need to update the project and reexport.

First of all, thank you for all the work and time you put into it, I am grateful for it! I was surprised and very pleased that this update for 64 colorization has come.

I have a similar problem as Zedixair. I switched from 1.09 to 1.10 by overwriting the required files. Stern SAM patched ROMs are working properly. Besides, every other table for which I have set color dmd (I downloaded all coloring from the VPU) this problem is noticeable. Each dmd scene is the correct color when it first appears, and after a few moments it becomes monochrome until the next scene appears. The video below is about Flintstones, as it has a lot of animated scenes, most noticeable on this. This error exists for both the older 16-color and the new 64-color colorizations. I am using the latest sambuild (r5270), 3.4 vpinmame and have also tried 10.6 and 10.7 finals, both of which happen.

• Content Provider
3 hours ago, Funkyman said:

I've seen your crash dump for this and I can reproduce it locally. here's the catch, the colorization vni is corrupt.. it can't decompress the decoded VniAnimationFrames.  @lucky1 is there any change of version for that decompressed format that could cause this? I'm assuming it's whomever exported that might need to update the project and reexport.

Did it work with V1.9 ? If yes something may have changed with a library it uses to decompress. However latest version of the editor does not compress on export for vpin.

After that lotr test I mentioned. I installed the newest Last Action Hero :
https://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/5882-last-action-hero/

I'm on a pindmd3 and I saw quite a lot of the loosing color that is shown in the video from workerboy above. I would almost describe it as constantly, though that is a slight exaggeration. Definitely noticeable and since I haven't seen it before in color 64 - I kept wondering if that was made on purpose. It kind of had its effect too :) But, yeah, from seeing the video above. I'm steering towards a bug of some sort. I could maybe add that I didn't notice it going into "brown", which is seen a few times in the fore-mentioned video. But, I won't swear that it never happened. I love playing too much :)

• Content Provider

23 hours ago, Zedixair said:

I´m sure that this never worked because the implementation of the decompression was faulty. I was able to fix it , but thanks for bringing up issues that were actually never caused by our changes. The info that this never worked would have been nice to have and would have saved me some time.

8 hours ago, lucky1 said:

All the scenes playing too fast and switching back to the default palette issues seem to be caused by the frame timer not working properly.

I was also able to fix this issue.

Both changes are forwarded to @freezy to create a new release.

• Content Provider
18 hours ago, movieguy said:

I have seen a couple issues since installing this version.  When running dmdext with fx3 or Future Pinball the PIN2DMD doesn't show the default colors of the source (usually orange), but rather uses white with some blue highlights.  

I don´t use FX3 so I can´t reproduce your problem, but it seems that dmdext converts the captured image from RGB to an image using the default palette.

Maybe this palette is editable ? @Funkyman Any idea ?

55 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

I´m sure that this never worked because the implementation of the decompression was faulty. I was able to fix it , but thanks for bringing up issues that were actually never caused by our changes. The info that this never worked would have been nice to have and would have saved me some time.

I was also able to fix this issue.

Both changes are forwarded to @freezy to create a new release. Here is a compiled version of the new DLL for testing.

DmdDevice.dll 12.07 MB · 0 downloads

Thank you very much for the quick fix! This newer dll file seems to solve the color disappearance problem.
Flintstones tested - works perfectly
Hook tested - works perfectly
Getaway 64 color tested (HS2_vPin_v0.7.2) - works perfectly

LOTR 64 color tested - works perfectly
Judge Dredd tested - it works perfectly
Last Action Hero tested - works perfectly

FRANKENSTEIN tested - works perfectly!!! :) 

I am very grateful, thanks again on behalf of the other users! 

Hello,

first a big Thanks to all involved  making this 64-color update possible, great job!

However, would like to share the issue I have, may-be it will give some more technical background to whats going on/wrong.

Setup:
real pin2dmd, running latest firmware (4.31), HW V3 STM32F4
VPX10.6Final

as a try_out I am using the Champion Pub 64 color dmd files found on this site (vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/8572-champion-pub-pin2dmd-64-colors/)

To install the new Freezy I copied the dmddevice.dll and the .dmdext.exe file into the pinmame directory.  Added the 2 textlines in the ini-file.

Now, these are some results with this setup:

20220210_140348.jpg.849a3e806b823514993fdcd8c80a90e0.jpg

20220210_140944.jpg.037bef4caddd9a4c7f2601e50e3446f7.jpg

Doesn't look very good to me however: some pictures in_game can look very good (I guess that's the 64 color) but some are not looking good and scrambeled as well.

Then I used the new .dll Lucky posted a few posts above: same result.

And now may-be something more interesting:

When the table is booting it should look like this:
20220210_141753.jpg.d833edfb1771912c69d7bfe18ebf8c6c.jpg

But with 1.10 it looks like this:

20220210_143741.thumb.jpg.eafc53e37cd5f5ad0c5accff340a6c8b.jpg

So, even in an early state there seems to be someting wrong/missing.

When getting back to the previous freezy's everything works fine: even the 64 color Champ Pub looks good (although no 4 colors for sure).

Hope this helps, Thanks!