With great pleasure and honor I bring you... version 1.10!

The main feature of this release is what many people have been waiting for a long time: 64 color support for colored ROMs. And while we're at it, we now also have an awesome upscaler. See the README at GitHub how to use it. All this has been brought to you by @Funkyman, supported by @lucky1. Thanks to both of you, you're awesome!

I've also fixed a bunch of crashes people were yelling about. Please test and report here. Don't forget to include a log.

Lastly, thanks to @Dazz for providing us with a new home where people can officially talk about dmdext. Cheers!

Download, as usual, here.

Enjoy,

-freezy.

• Content Provider

This version incorporates the scalers used in PIN2DMD HD and makes it possible to use HD PIN2DMD editor projects on the virtual DMD.

Of course the hardware (PIN2DMD 128x32, XL and HD) is also supported by the integrated pin2dmd driver.

Thanks @Funkyman for starting this !

• Content Provider
31 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

This version incorporates the scalers used in PIN2DMD HD and makes it possible to use HD PIN2DMD editor projects on the virtual DMD.

Of course the hardware (PIN2DMD 128x32, XL and HD) is also supported by the integrated pin2dmd driver.

Thanks @Funkyman for starting this !

Yep, no worries!  This was something I wanted to do to give back to our community! :)  I know there have been requests for this for a long while, and this truely was a group effort!

I’ll ask, because I’m sure others might be thinking it, or it will be asked in the future.

Should the dmddevice.ini changes from 1.9 be left alone as per Pinup?

As to say are these still in tact, or can we overwrite, or it doesn’t matter?

https://nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php?id=upgrade_freezy

Never overwrite your currently working config. Use a file comparison tool like WinMerge to compare your current DmdDevice.ini to the new versions of the default DmdDevice.ini to discover the new parameters or read the docs on the new parameters.

Having trouble figuring out what change between releases, thats where the power of Git / github comes into play, you can see the differences between every file between releases to get up to speed. In particular pay close attention to the README.md to determine what's changed in versions by doing branch comparisons: https://github.com/freezy/dmd-extensions/compare/v1.9.0...v1.10.0

The two new parameters people should be aware of according to the documentation are these two:

1. scalermode

2. scaletohd

Example DmdDevice.ini settings:

scalermode = scale2x

scaletohd = true

Personally I think pretty much everyone is going to use the new scaling features if your using a virtual DMD.

Excellent response Xantari (kinda felt like the elephant in the room), now we all have a very thorough addition to the road map *tips hat.   

You guys are the best. 

PS. It really looks great…I can never go back now. 

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, Darkstar said:

I’ll ask, because I’m sure others might be thinking it, or it will be asked in the future.

Should the dmddevice.ini changes from 1.9 be left alone as per Pinup?

As to say are these still in tact, or can we overwrite, or it doesn’t matter?

https://nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php?id=upgrade_freezy

always back up :) BUT the new version only adds 2 additional things to the ini. We didn’t remove anything!

Just a note, Terry and Crew’s (Amazing) Tron Legacy Pup seems to struggle with scaletohd turned on….most notably the OST music on 15. 

Edit….I guess it may go without saying having that option on may effect the Pupcapture being read

Edit Edit. Indy Jones Pin Adventure Pup for instance does not seem effected. AC-DC did seem effected. A lot of variables I’d guess. Whatever the case, it’s amazing and there is always a quick way to turn it on and off….like I say…just a note of interest. 

• Content Provider
5 hours ago, Darkstar said:

Just a note, Terry and Crew’s (Amazing) Tron Legacy Pup seems to struggle with scaletohd turned on….most notably the OST music on 15.  

I'm going to say this is entirely dependate on your CPU.  PUP packs in general could hit your cpu hard. Couple that with the VPX settings and that alone will struggle on lower end PCs.  Scaling isn't that cpu taxing, in fact I have a PinDMD3 and I run with scale2x all the time. I like the way the text looks :) When using a 128x32 output device it not only scales it up to 256x32 it'll down scale it back to the device output's res.  With all that scaling going on I have never had a slow down with a pup pack before.  I've been testing for quite awhile too.  Hovever, as you noted you can disable it if you want.

Edited by Funkyman

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, RTX 3070TI, 16GB RGB 3600Mhz DDR4 ToughRAM RGB Memory

Like I say…it really appears to be a matter of how the Pupcapture was framed as per mine (at least at the moment). 

I’m not saying it slows anything down, and I doubt my CPU is too slow to pick up things…especially since one game will work great, and the next not so much…but rather that pinup will “miss”, or “not associate” the capture picture properly, especially as per what was used as the selection for a trigger.  If I figure out the “why” to the exact reason I’ll get back to you for sure. 

• Content Provider
1 minute ago, Darkstar said:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, RTX 3070TI, 16GB RGB 3600Mhz DDR4 ToughRAM RGB Memory

Like I say…it really appears to be a matter of how the Pupcapture was framed as per mine (at least at the moment). 

I’m not saying it slows anything down, but rather that pinup will “miss”, or “not associate” the capture picture properly, especially as per what was used as the selection for a trigger.  

Ahhhh ok I see what you mean.  yeah that's a trickier one...but it make sense.  I'd have to understand a bit more about what pupcapture is doing under the hood and how it relates to dmd extensions.  It's possible we could send it the unscaled (base) output, but I'd have to dig into it a bit more.

@Darkstar Personally I don't use pup packs, so not sure how they work under the covers, and since pupcapture isn't open source would be hard to figure out how it works. But one option would be to turn off the scaling on a per ROM basis:

[baywatch]
scaletohd = false

The above is an example of turning off scaling for just the baywatch ROM.

I think Funkyman gets what I’m saying (and I apologize if I’m not quite expressing properly). It’s not that there is a problem per say, some will just run into the same situation. Triggers with most Pups use a basic DMD capture. So say at the end of a game we use the frame that says “GAME OVER”, and we can also narrow down this frame to use a certain section of the frame as the trigger….thus…when using scaleohd, the pictures that Pinup will scan for are no longer the same, and will not match…thus, the triggers won’t work. 

The interesting bit is, many DO work, and like you said, it’s so easy to turn off. In no way is it a problem, in fact it almost seems destined that some key frames will not match anymore (because of a different ratio/pixel count, whatever the proper term). 

As an example the “Come And Get It Frame” captured here, will be different when scaletohd is on…like I say…it WILL pick up things sometimes, and sometimes not with scaletohd

I’m not one to say, but a guess is it will recognize/scan and trigger proper the areas with large real estate, and not register ones that are small

65A2F845-4708-49C1-9F52-EC2ED53D92F6.jpeg

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, NailBuster said:

@freezy I assume the frames sent to pup are still  'untouched' 128x32 rbg like before?   I know pup gets pre-colored frames, so I assume any scaling and such should have no impact to frames sent to pupdll before the scaling?

I'll answer this as it's my code :) ...and it depends on a couple things. For the most part, it will downscale the 2x image back to 128x32 before sending it to the output device... however, that doesn't mean it's untouched.  I'd have to debug it some more to see which render tree combo this is to potential fix it up.

Nice! I F’n love this update. Might go without saying, feel free to PM if you need…if ever seeing another machine on the outside for some reason would help, I have screen capture with all 4 monitors, a mic etc on the ready. 

• Content Provider
54 minutes ago, ARMYAVIATION said:

Does this new version do anything for strikes n spares Gottlieb?

Our changes do not address that problem. Maybe @Funkyman wants to have a look at it. 

Gottlieb Strikes N Spares has 2 DMDs and the data is sent alternately. Maybe you can either open two displays or open one display with 128x64 pixel and split the data.

• freezy locked this topic