VPVR Complete Guide Needed

I have watched incomplete videos and have read many incomplete guides on VPVR. Can someone point out a complete how to guide from A-Z. Example, one guide explains open vr and were to download then explains nothing how to use it. Thanks 

Edited by Hiylow
Incomplete

• 2 months later...

me too...

I've followed some basic instructions found here...  Baller + VPVR but still trying to get example tables (mars and Addams) working on an occulus 2.

built my own digital pinball table with most issues researched and sorted and fun learning process but I'm lost here. 

ocuulus seems to run Rift software OK and operate in that mode but other than using remote desktop and having a 2d view which i don't see the point of,  I'm lost???

I7 laptop with GTX 1650 / rift works fine.

thanks in anticipation

Chris (UK)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2021 at 5:33 AM, cgg7777 said:

me too...

I've followed some basic instructions found here...  Baller + VPVR but still trying to get example tables (mars and Addams) working on an occulus 2.

built my own digital pinball table with most issues researched and sorted and fun learning process but I'm lost here. 

ocuulus seems to run Rift software OK and operate in that mode but other than using remote desktop and having a 2d view which i don't see the point of,  I'm lost???

I7 laptop with GTX 1650 / rift works fine.

thanks in anticipation

Chris (UK)

Are you using Oculus Link? 

Thanks for asking .. yes oculus 2 with usb cable Link. Works ok in rift mode so I assumed that if I was in rift mode and then just opened a VR table it would appear but I just get a blank screen.

I’ve not rules out that it might be an Nvidia issue as if I force the basic  graphics settings to any of the Nvidia options then it doesn’t seem to work although leaving it on the Intel card hybrid mode seems to be ok ..that is on rift mode . Im guessing that pinball VR software forces the use of the Nvidia  card??

Zeems strange that Rift doesn’t work on the most popular laptop video card ..1650 ti !

chris 

21 minutes ago, cgg7777 said:

Thanks for asking .. yes oculus 2 with usb cable Link. Works ok in rift mode so I assumed that if I was in rift mode and then just opened a VR table it would appear but I just get a blank screen.

I’ve not rules out that it might be an Nvidia issue as if I force the basic  graphics settings to any of the Nvidia options then it doesn’t seem to work although leaving it on the Intel card hybrid mode seems to be ok ..that is on rift mode . Im guessing that pinball VR software forces the use of the Nvidia  card??

Zeems strange that Rift doesn’t work on the most popular laptop video card ..1650 ti !

chris 

VPVR does not work (for many people) with the last 3 or 4 Nvidia updates. Rob Ross has updated VPVR to be compatible with them, grab it here https://1drv.ms/u/s!Auy58evaF4z1qnKWFn1LvbB2Q4X6?e=Gyq611 also, make sure you have your headset ready before you launch the  “VPinballX_GL.exe” (Look inside the headset and connect to link before you launch VPVR)

• 1 month later...

hey guys,

sorry to bohter you on this, but I can't get a hand on opencomposite 32 bits dll  - the link from the gitlab doesn't work... 

any chance to find it somewhere else ? tried google it but no chance...

thanks

BenJN

• 1 month later...

@benjnI found the 32 bit version of opencomposite here https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR

I'm having problems getting my Oculus Quest 2 to run VPX GL as well.  I can get the VP VR running but and if I turn the "VR Enabled" setting to "auto detect" I can get the table to run in vpx_gl on my desktop but not via the Quest 2 with a link cable.  VPX will load and start vPinMame with the DMD in the upper corner of vpx but then it stalls and quits out of vpx.  My laptop has an NVIDEA GeForce GTX 1660 TI.

38 minutes ago, scottacus said:

@benjnI found the 32 bit version of opencomposite here https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR

I'm having problems getting my Oculus Quest 2 to run VPX GL as well.  I can get the VP VR running but and if I turn the "VR Enabled" setting to "auto detect" I can get the table to run in vpx_gl on my desktop but not via the Quest 2 with a link cable.  VPX will load and start vPinMame with the DMD in the upper corner of vpx but then it stalls and quits out of vpx.  My laptop has an NVIDEA GeForce GTX 1660 TI.

A few things to check, are you using opencomposite or Steam? I have read that "VR Enabled" is a must, your link should be connected to a USB 3, start the Oculus software and look into the headset and connect to "Link" before starting VPVR. Also, what version of VPVR are you using, if not the updated version (or at least the shaders) from Rob Ross then VPVR will not work for most with Nvidia updates from .49 and beyond. Rob introduced some shader fixes that made all the Nvidia updates compatible.
And thanks for all of your contributions to the community :)

@studlygoorite thanks for the reply (btw love the screen name)! 

I followed the tutorial video by the "VR Guys" and I'm using a Quest 2 so I have opencomposite instead of Steam.  "VR Enabled" is checked and the rest of my settings look like this.

Untitled.thumb.png.9bd5f6c41ac5b3dde6b3fa324965dcbc.pngUntitled2.thumb.png.eea6b37e6edef9457a3962f3ec43f7fb.png 

And my visual pinball folder looks like this.

Untitled.thumb.png.e262c94f66fafbb46ee456513d5fd553.png

With all DLL's unblocked (openvr_api.dll was initially blocked even though it was unzipped by 7-zip which usually auto-unblocks).  The openComposite.ini file has "enableAudio=false" as its contents.

I've turned off my antivirus for one test and also installed what I think is the latest vpinmame (VPinMAME-sc-3.5-23-efc84db-win-x86).

As I mentioned the "VPX VR-Launcher 4.exe" works and the config file has been edited to see my visual pinball folder and the appropriate exe's.  As a side note the VPX VR-Launcher 4.exe is pretty AMAZING as it shows the side art for my EM tables as well as the backglass and table art.  I have no idea how it does this since the side art is not a part of my vpx em tables but the artwork is spot on!

Untitled.thumb.png.4f2ae7eaac0dae325aad9452426c10a5.png

When I try to run visual pinball_GL to oculus will show that the program is starting up and the laptop shows that it is loading the table.  VpinMame starts up and the DMD shows up with data on it in the upper left corner of the screen and then after a few seconds Visual Pinball_GL stops and the oculus goes back to the standard screen.  There are no error logs that I can find to see what caused Visual Pinball to stop running.

My laptop has a NVIDEA GeForce GTX 1660 TI and Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.59 GHz.  I have a feeling that I have one little setting that isn't quite right just like when I set up visual pinball 9 for the first time many years ago...

I’m not in front of my cab, but I know I would have a similar issue where table would load for a second and then crash back to launcher, the issue I ran into, and it may be my version of vpvr files (as there are a few out there, but luckily it sounds like they are working on getting a single source and updating everything), there is a section I think (again I’m not in front of my cab) under the area to assign keys and DOF sounds, in the bottom right, there is disable b2s and mirror pup pack or something like that. Try messing with these, maybe Uncheck pup pack mirror one, because when I have that enabled mine would load then crash. Or try vice versa. 

That is one setting to try and check out and see if you have any luck.

and obviously, some tables have vr set up, the ones that do not look funky for me and have issues, so make sure the table you test out is for sure designed with vr, either a room one or a hybrid release. 

Thanks @cmt26 for the thoughts!  I've tried what I think are all of the various combinations of those radio buttons on the keys - DOF option menu and still no joy.  I've tried using a table that doesn't use VPinMame (VR ROOM Pro Football (Gottlieb 1973) 2.0.vpx) and that wouldn't run either.  I've been trying Bord's new Flash table with the script settings set to VR as well as VR ROOM Cueball Wizard (Gottlieb 1992) Minimal 1.04.1.vpx because that has a lot of downloads so it probably works well in VR.

Again what I see is the laptop starts up vpx_gl and the oculus shows an image of black/white waves and says "loading".  VPinMame's splash screen shows on the laptop and when it closes the Oculus loading screen changes to show the visual pinball logo along with loading... 

Untitled2.thumb.png.12e57d20f0ce21d66f3772e662dff8fd.png

The DMD shows up on the laptop and ROM sounds start firing while the top of vpx_GL on the laptop says "Not Responding". 

Untitled.thumb.png.47def473393c94b6c5f442a98ad3b16c.png

After a few seconds, vpx closes and the Oculus goes back to the link menu

Untitled.thumb.png.ac5782d9fe849e70d0e1f7c618032b1b.png

Hmm, I did a quick peek at my settings and I have pup unchecked and disable and dmd enabled in case you wanted to try that combo.

you are getting odd behavior, as I recall I never could even get the vplauncher to load until I got the latest nvidia drivers and the patch nvidia specific  vpvr files that studly mentioned.

so I am assuming you got most of the pieces.

have you tried different versions of the exe to see if it works?

for me, the only one that worked was

vpvr.0.7 in combo with the nvidia vpvr files patched files.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vpvr/files/

Edited by cmt26

Thanks for checking!  I went to the GeForce Experience on my laptop and updated the GeForce Game Ready Driver to the latest version 511.79.   I also went to the SourceForge site and tried VPVR.0.7, VPVR64 and VPVR latest version.  I tried your settings for keys-DOF as well.

Now when I start VPinballX_GL I don't get any loading screens in the oculus Quest 2 like before.  The game launches and plays on my laptop but there is no change in what the Oculus Quest 2 displays just endless nothingness.  The VPX VR-Launcher 4.exe launches VPinballX_GL with the same result (table runs on laptop with no vr display) and when I quit the table on my laptop, VPX VR-Launcher displays again so control is passed back to it correctly.  Perhaps a step in the right direction since there are no longer crashes?

Untitled.thumb.png.aefa6bc826ddeebe182d2a12ef82c447.png

You enabled the third party apps in the oculus developer mode correct?

trying to figure out why it’s not getting over that last hurdle and loading in your oculus. 

I did Google it and there is a mention of laptops having issues, by chance you have a desktop to test it out? Wondering if your specific laptop is having issues and it’s not necessarily a vpx issue.

are you able to load steam powered games? Maybe see if it’s a laptop/quest issue? If it loads a game then we know it is at least not that.

you do not need a usb 3.0 if you have an older desktop, I have an older motherboard with only 2.0 and it loads ok. 

I'm pretty sure that third party apps are enabled since the VPX VR launcher works great?  I could try running this with my cab's computer as well.  I thought along the same lines and downloded a free app from the oculus site to the laptop and that runs fine but I've not messed with any steam products as of yet.  Thanks for the thoughts!

Yeah, you are right, vplauncher would not even go.

hmm, sounds like you got everything set correctly. On the other forum, they are talking and have a few new releases that they are trying to finalize. (I didn’t see that chatter make it over here yet, but might soon) maybe one of those betas will work for you? Or get you closer? I had issues with the betas so I am waiting for a more stable release, but maybe worth a shot? I would post a link but I do not know how everyone is treating that anymore :(

Studly is more technical than I, he helped me out a ton when I was having issues, maybe when he wanders back he might have some ideas as well for you to try.

total bummer though, I know for me, I tried vr and it never worked and I gave up on it, only to discover the time I was trying to get it to work it was the nvidia issue. So maybe randomly there is some other weird conflict occurring at the moment for you and  that will hopefully get fixed.

2 hours ago, scottacus said:

I'm pretty sure that third party apps are enabled since the VPX VR launcher works great?  I could try running this with my cab's computer as well.  I thought along the same lines and downloded a free app from the oculus site to the laptop and that runs fine but I've not messed with any steam products as of yet.  Thanks for the thoughts!

You don't want to be using VPVR 10.7 for 10.6 tables and the updated 10.7 that will be backwards compatible with 10.6 tables isn't quite ready. I put together an All In One that fits your scenario (Quest 2 with Link), it has all of the files and folders you need with the updated shaders from Rob Ross, Opencomposite, settings and instructions mostly taken from Toby's awesome guide. If you want to give it a shot, this is what I posted at the VR Pinball Group Discord and on Meta :) 

To anyone who has an Oculus Headset (software installed) using a Quest 1 or 2 with Oculus Link or Air Link or a Rift with VPX running and working and would like an "All In One" installation of VPVR, just copy all into your Visual Pinball folder and read the "Readme Changes and settings.txt" (IMPORTANT) Most instructions/settings taken from Toby's Guide (thanks)

In this folder I have VPVR 10.6 with the updated shaders by Rob Ross (old shaders would not work for most with Nvidia updates), Opencomposite with the 32bit openvr_api.dll (that replaces the 64bit) and the opencomposite.ini file needed for opencomposite so SteamVR is not used.

Note, if using Steam VR and not Opencomposite you will need to remove all of the Opencomposite files and replace the 32 bit openvr_api.dll with the 64 bit that comes with VPVR and switch the OpenXR Runtime to Steam in the Oculus Software

I hope I am not forgetting something here, good luck https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jrecSgqSEf_mPKWTZ6KqXWARCLkicmVi?usp=sharing

If you want to stop by the VR Pinball Discord here is a link https://discord.gg/PB4gRD67DC

Thanks guys for all of your help!  I followed @cmt26 advice and tried installing on my cab.  Presto-magic, I had VR VPX working in about 15 minutes.  I think that there's something wrong with my oculus set up on my laptop because I don't see the desktop when I click on that option when in link mode (or whatever it is called).  This seems to be something more systemic than just vpx_gl.

1 hour ago, scottacus said:

Thanks guys for all of your help!  I followed @cmt26 advice and tried installing on my cab.  Presto-magic, I had VR VPX working in about 15 minutes.  I think that there's something wrong with my oculus set up on my laptop because I don't see the desktop when I click on that option when in link mode (or whatever it is called).  This seems to be something more systemic than just vpx_gl.

Nice, you are better off now anyway, using a cab as a controller is awesome!!

If I’m following you correctly, when you look in the oculus the cab is not properly in front of you?

you can adjust the position(roughly) in the gl exe settings, I believe it’s in the bottom left section of the video settings.  another way is to use your oculus controller, hit the menu button and there should be a screen that pops up and I think it says reset view or something? Select that, then look out in the direction you want the cab and hit the oculus controller button again, it should adjust.

The video settings gets you closer to the spot but I usually have to slightly adjust but that due to me using my cab as the controller.

that’s good news everything  works on the laptop now. Knew Studly would have the solution :) 

Edited by cmt26

Yeah it’s pretty amazing what the devs have developed. It’s not a real social way to play, but if it is just you it’s fun, and I feel I play better in 3D for some reason. Build a pinsim, add DOF and SSF, and it feels sooo realistic, mind will be blown away.

13 hours ago, scottacus said:

Thanks @cmt26 , I was able to use the oculus controller to move perspective as well as the number pad on my cab's keyboard.   My laptop doesn't have a number pad so that's why I was looking for another way to move.  Very slick program!

Hi Scottacus, not in front of my cab, but I'm fairly sure that the up, down, recenter keys can be remapped under the keys, nudge and DOF preference panel

although playing pinball from inside the cab, looking back at the flippers with the playfield at eye level is pretty awesome 🙂 

it's great to see some seasoned content creators getting into VR, it can only help the development of more stunning tables, thanks for your contributions