[New VPX Alert]Taxi (Williams 1988) VPW Mod

Taxi (Williams 1988) VPW Mod

This mod was originally supposed to be a small one, with just adding updated physics, sound and a VR room, then everyone got carried away and the table ended up being rendered and redone and tweaked to infinity :)

Big thanks to ICPJuggla, Mfuegemann, Dark & Ben Logan for the original table.

VR and other options are all in the script.

Enjoy!

*** V-Pin Workshop Taxi Drivers ***
Tomate - Project Manager, including new primitives, textures.
Bord - nFozzy flippers and physics
apophis - Fleep sound, rtx shadows, general tweaks.
Sixtoe - VR Stuff, lots of fiddling about.
oqqsan - Playfield inserts and fading GI.
UnclePaulie - VR backbox improvements & fixes.
iaakki & fluffhead35 - misc tweaks and debugging

Rik - Testing and feedback

VPW Crew - Playtesting and suggestions

**CHANGE LOG **
' 001 - bord -  Added nFozzy flippers and physics
' 002 - apophis - Added Fleep sound package
' 003 - apophis - Added missing knockerposition prim
' 004 - tomate - New flippers prims added
' 005 - tomate - Shadows flippers size fixed
' 006 - Sixtoe - VR stuff, fully operational built in backbox / dmd / backglass, fixed loads of light and glow weirdness, unified timers, added cabinet mode.
' 007 - tomate - upper left VUK direction corrected, exits of collidable wireRamps fixed, metal wall near express lane2 fixed, cab POV corrected
' 009 - tomate - new giOn baked textures added, warm lut added, plastic Ramps textures retouched with a warm photo filter to match 
' 010 - tomate - some giOff textures aded, slingshots missing sounds fixed, deformed slings rubbers replaced by prims
' 011 - oqqsan - inserts and 4step sidewalls and pf  .. needs adjustments 
' 012 - tomate - rest of giOff textures added, plastics textures added to 4 steps fade, some GI lights repositioned, textures size optimized
' 013 - Sixtoe - Removed one set of GI, hooked it all back up and dropped under playfield, tidied up assets, set old walls to non-visible to stop clashes, played with loads of lights, removed redundant scripts and images.
' 014 - iaakki - fiddled with GI steps and PF flasher. Fixed flip shadow DP and Z issues. tied some prims to gi steps
' 015 - apophis - Replaced the ringing_bell sound effect. Increased alpha mask on PF images to get rid of insert jaggies. Increased inserts DL. Fixed BS DB.
' 016 - apophis - Added RTX BS. Fixed GI lights so that ball reflection work now.
' 017 - UnclePaulie - Animated the VR backglass flasher Lights.  Fixed the jackpot displays.  Hid the desktop / cabinet mode backbox lights. Moved ball shadow primatives.  Added a VRCab bottom so you can't see the floor through cab.
' 018 - apophis - Updated RTX BS. Added target bouncer, flipper rubberizer, and flipper coil ramp up options. Fixed ball bouncing out left outlane after ramp drop.
' 019 - Sixtoe - Fixed playfield rendering weirdly, numerous other tweaks and adjustments, adjusted some lights, put the roof back on the spinout
' 020 - apophis - Fixed RTX shadow DB issue. Chnaged rampsDecals DL from below to 0 and DB to -100. Added a differnt ball HDR. Messed with the DT mode backglass.
' 021 - fluffhead35 - Updated Flipper Physics to be inline with nfozzy
' 022 - Sixtoe - Added physical wires under flippers and outlanes, hooked up bumpers to GI system, adjust shooter lane gate, messed around the table lights again including materials, set height walls to non-collidable.
' 023 - Sixtoe - Fixed GI, added bumper bulbs to GI system, some small tweaks and fixes here and there.
' 024 - apophis - Revered the DT backglass object positions. Force GI on at table initialization. Changed flipper DB. Increased plunger strength/speed. Increased target hit volume.
' 025 - iaakki - flip trigger areas reworked, rdampen 10ms timer added, rubberizer options added, catapult timer improved, tied drop target DL to GI, fixed insert fading for few inserts
' 026 - apophis - finished up fixing inserts fading
' 027 - Sixtoe - Target bounce set to 1.5

Just reporting a couple crashes in VR that don't happen all the time and I can't recreate them. During first ball game crashed with  Script error line 883  "UpdateMaterial currentMat,1,0,0,0,0,0,ShadowOpacity*RTXFactor^2,RGB(0,0,0),0,0,False,True,0,0,0,0". It only happened once in 4 games. Also, in one of the four games the table crashed "when I nudged" with a script error line 1837            "x = .x : y = .y : z = .z : velx = .velx : vely = .vely : velz = .velz"

Other than these the table ran great in VR, I'll let you know if these continue but after two more games all was good. Thanks for another great table in VPX and VR :)

Hey there , One of my favorite tables. I have had some issues with it. The ball launch is crazy , dont know if it was your intention, but the thing is super fast and seems wildy out of control to skill shot. When the ball drops from the  red spin out it seems to be confused on where to go LOL , in the original table it pushed the ball to the left to the 3 lane shots , this does not do that. I have had the ball go through the right ramp shot and blend into the same spot someone on here said they had a ball stuck in a picture 2 above this post. Also is there a way to change the table images of the passengers? they seem off , or off size,

. Sorry for so many questions. Keep up the good work!

• 1 month later...

Good morning all, I am still new to this hobby but love everything about it. I have been trying to get the sounds for the game to work on this and I have tried everything and still cannot get any audio other than the physics sounds. Do I have a bad rom or something, I can go into the rom setting and try and test the sounds and get nothing. I am also trying to use the PupPack and that does not appear to have any sounds so I am guessing relying on the rom. I did not have a b2s loaded as I figured you did not need one with the PupPack. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks for everything that everyone does with these tables its amazing. Russ

• Content Provider
9 hours ago, Winechemist said:

Good morning all, I am still new to this hobby but love everything about it. I have been trying to get the sounds for the game to work on this and I have tried everything and still cannot get any audio other than the physics sounds. Do I have a bad rom or something, I can go into the rom setting and try and test the sounds and get nothing. I am also trying to use the PupPack and that does not appear to have any sounds so I am guessing relying on the rom. I did not have a b2s loaded as I figured you did not need one with the PupPack. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks for everything that everyone does with these tables its amazing. Russ

Working fine for me with just the l4 rom from here.  And here's my nvram, in case: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mgaQfEkREVnktfdAyx0570tFBCD2iHMW/view?usp=sharing

Strange it still had no sounds, I am going to try and update VPinMame tonight to see if that does anything, another table last night Radical did the same thing so it is definitely something to do with the Bally/Williams tables, still going o try and see if I can get into the rom sound adjustment using the end key and 8 and 9 keys, but have had no luck, just the 8 key works for me to scroll through the rom settings screens. I am determined to get this working lol. Thanks for responding and giving me the files it was worth a shot, it is definitely something in my setup that these tables don't like. Russ

ALWAYS - test the rom via setup.exe in VPinmame folder. There is NO reason to wonder about roms. It will tell you what the issue is. And the solution. Don't hunt anywhere else then VPU for the roms in question either. Use the upper right search feature on the site. Search for exact rom names. Taxi has 6 of them.

taxi_l4.zip

taxi_l5c.zip

taxi_l3.zip

taxi_l5cm.zip

taxi_lg1.zip

taxi_lu1.zip

Once you've downloaded them all and put them in roms folder, ALL the versions should work. Which you can test using setup.exe if you want to.

I'm not so keen on posting this solution over and over again with the exact rom names. What will happen now when you are searching, you'll find my answer to you too ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

This is my first VR table. Taxi is one of my favorites. I have the table working great, but the inserts look extremely dark unless I'm looking straight down at them. Any recomended settings to help with this?

image.png.32e88eff8893104081a21a8ad5ae40d1.png

image.png.c7f8d2e910b34843d5b1c1b4c6c25441.png

For example, Raise Jackpot light can be seen looking down at it, but not back by the flippers, looks black from there.

But again, this is my first VR table and I'm still learning. 

Win10 Pro v21H1

i7-11700K, RTX 3070 with today's driver update

Oculus Rift CV1

VPX10.6.0

VPM SAMBuild r5270

Taxi VPW v1.2.2

Thanks!

EDIT: I just played it on my cabinet, and WOW. I get it. The table and inserts look incredibly real. Looks great in a cabinet, not so much in VR.

Edited by Namco51

On 9/21/2021 at 8:42 AM, Namco51 said:

Hello,

This is my first VR table. Taxi is one of my favorites. I have the table working great, but the inserts look extremely dark unless I'm looking straight down at them. Any recomended settings to help with this?

Hi,

I just posted the same question in the 'Batman (Data East 1991) VPW 1.0.0' file thread, I'm also getting unfavourable results with the playfield inserts on these latest tables, in VR (Rift S). Well, that is: from a distance, back by the flippers, the decals on them (the texts?) become a black pixelated shape, also obscuring the light beneath it. I wonder if I could fix this somehow by editing the table or images, or if it's a limitation of VR (the lack of detail on objects that are in the distance)...

The tables are otherwise fantastic of course!

Edited by Perforators

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
Real DMD not working on this table:

Hi guys, I'm  having an issue where the DMD is not displaying on my real plasma DMD (pindmd2). All other tables work.
The taxi_l4 ROM works in Pinmame Setup test and this is the only vpw table where the DMD is blank, all others work fine.

Been away from Vpin for a while so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

========= ** SOLVED:

Changing the ROM to 'taxi_l5c' works.
For some reason the 'taxi_l4' ROM doesn't load on pindmd2 

Edited by zimbakin1
SOLVED