Pin2Dmd Color - Pindmd Compatible Interface With Led Rgb Color Dmd

lucky1

• Content Provider

Yesterday I managed to get a full "development cycle" with a real pinball machine running. In the end a colorized version was running on my Dr. Who test machine. so for WPC machines, every component is now stable enough to give it a try.

Steps taken:

- use modified vpinmame.dll to get a recording from a playing session of Dr. Who with VP9

- load this as animation file into goDMD editor

- define a new default palette

- find and define a couple of sequences with alternative palettes

- export project dat in binary form from goDMD editor

- copy file to sd card

- create config file on sd card

- put sd card into PIN2DMD controller

- playing it with real WPC pinball machine

If I have time, I'll create a demo video to show the complete process.

For other pinball systems stern / sega (whitestar) there is still work to do. Also we discovered some issues with pindmd output for virtual pinball, but I'm confident we will resolve them.

br Steve

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Content Provider

Unfortunatelly only for those who get their panels 160x80, but in germany at formulo.de you can get 8mm

of acrylic laser cut. Thats exactly the length of the threaded bushing soldered on the pcbs.

Maybe someone can change the design that it fits for the naked circuit boards without the frame.

Sash is correct, shipping international from the US is ridiculous... I have shipped RC parts all over the world, then one day prices over doubled... its insane and embarrassing  

if your looking to do it in flat 2D acrylic... you can more or less do it yourself... all you would need is a drill and jigsaw

3D printed??.... nah I have a 3D printer as well as a few friends.... too much flex, materials just aren't strong... people are using them for all kind of stuff, but they really are just for rapid prototyping

• Content Provider

Sash is correct, shipping international from the US is ridiculous... I have shipped RC parts all over the world, then one day prices over doubled... its insane and embarrassing  

if your looking to do it in flat 2D acrylic... you can more or less do it yourself... all you would need is a drill and jigsaw

3D printed??.... nah I have a 3D printer as well as a few friends.... too much flex, materials just aren't strong... people are using them for all kind of stuff, but they really are just for rapid prototyping

I really like your CNC frame still most!

The 2D Acrylic is just... simple.

As you say, buy you a piece of acrylic, use your jigsaw and a drill.... well done.

But with the CNC frame, there are holes in the housing for the distance keeper, it's a sturdy construction, mounting bracket at the sides (to mount the frame to the back panel) and it looks real professional!

You can mount the panels (PCB) directly to the frame.

And there is NO contact to any of the IC´s or other electronic parts.

BIG LIKE to your CNC Work!

greats

Sash

• Content Provider
Received the panels from the seller linked in Post #273, Ruisen Technology Co, Ltd.

What I received was not what was pictured in the listing, but that might be a good thing.

002resize.JPG

Arrived in a single 64x64 px frame. The board design is different from the ONELED listing

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/P2-5-Indoor-full-color-LED-module-1-16-scan-SMD-2121-3in1-RGB-160-80mm/32512377141.html

But the board I received at least seems to have a similar number of IC chips. Looks like the board pictured in this post, so that may bode well.

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/2219-pin2dmd-color-pindmd-compatible-interface-with-led-rgb-color-dmd/?p=24501

The board pictured with Ruisen has more IC chips. Again, I guess we'll see what happens when I hook it up.

Now, the bad news is that I didn't receive any cables with this. So, I still have to go back to the seller, but I'll see if I can find out more info. 

• Content Provider

Yes, I ordered two separate displays and received them in 1 64 x 64 frame. At this point, I only have the one ribbon cable that came with the first display I ordered. I'm expecting the PCB board and the STm32 MCU kit from Uncle very soon. Maybe this will be enough just to test the displays out. Hopefully, the seller will come through with the cables, but you are right. It's not a huge deal to find a cable elsewhere if all else is working OK.

• Content Provider

Yes, I ordered two separate displays and received them in 1 64 x 64 frame. At this point, I only have the one ribbon cable that came with the first display I ordered. I'm expecting the PCB board and the STm32 MCU kit from Uncle very soon. Maybe this will be enough just to test the displays out. Hopefully, the seller will come through with the cables, but you are right. It's not a huge deal to find a cable elsewhere if all else is working OK.

Look on ebay:

Example 1 china seller:

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/171759990023

Example 2 us seller:

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/351117396361

#2 is 12" long... Perfect to connect the mcu pcb with the panel #2

And the short one from panel #2 to panel #1!

Sash

I just bought me one from the long ones... (Link #2)

I like rainbow color cable [emoji57]

• Content Provider

I ended up with a single 64x64 panel also, so I hopefully have now ordered some 64x32 panels...

Anyways I hooked up to the STM board to the led module using arduino jumper wires until I get the pcb board from Sascha.  The lighting is garbled as expected with the led module being the wrong size and scan rate I assume, but it is synchronized with the Pinmame rom, so it appears to be wired up correctly.

I am going see if I can read up on this and see if I can modify the driver to support the larger display while I order smaller led modules.  I found this https://learn.adafruit.com/downloads/pdf/32x16-32x32-rgb-led-matrix.pdf  which looks like some good reading.  If you have any reference material to help with this investigation, please let me know.  

I was able to modify the brightness by changing the rgbperiod mentioned early.  What's the largest value I can set them to?

• Content Provider

I ended up with a single 64x64 panel also, so I will have look into ordering 64x32 panels...

Anyways I hooked up to the STM board to the led module using arduino jumper wires until I get the pcb board from Sascha.  The lighting is garbled as expected with the led module being the wrong size and scan rate I assume, but it is synchronized with the Pinmame rom, so it appears to be wired up correctly.

I am going see if I can read up on this and see if I can modify the driver to support the larger display while I order smaller led modules.  I found this https://learn.adafruit.com/downloads/pdf/32x16-32x32-rgb-led-matrix.pdf  which looks like some good reading.  If you have any reference material to help with this investigation, please let me know.  

I was able to modify the brightness by changing the rgbperiod mentioned early.  What's the largest value I can set them to?

On modifying the driver to support the larger display - that would be good to know if it can be done. We may be stuck with these 64 x 64 square displays as shipping back to China w/tracking and insurance costs so much more than China shipping to US. Might be nice to be able to do something with it. In any case, three of the squares together is the same resolution as a super size Sega display (192 x 64). Would be a nice cheap replacement for those who have one of those real tables.

• Content Provider

I can confirm that what I received can be disassembled to yield two bare boards 64 * 32 px

Heard back from the seller:

"We now all use this 160mm*160mm big boards.It is more easy to assemble a big display with big unit led panels.

If you want 320*80(mm),we can make one special board.But it needs to wait some days more.
It is 1/16 scan.There is no 1/32 scan board in China now.
I will deliver 2 pcs of power cables and 2 pcs of data cables to you ASAP.
I am really sorry for this troubles.Maybe my worker forgot to put the cables in the parcel."

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/P2-5mm-LED-Display-Board-SMD-indoor-full-color-P2-5-LED-Curtain-Screen-full-color/32314253002.html

So, it looks like you can currently buy a pair for about $77 shipped to the US and it will be arrive in a 160mm * 160mm frame that can be disassembled. Definitely ask questions before you order because I've heard now from two different sellers now that the market is moving to 64 x 64 px boards. Easy to get caught in the transition and end up with the wrong board. 

The seller forgot the cables, but all in all they have been very responsive to questions, and it took less than 12 days from order to delivery.

thought I would also throw this out there.... here is a cheaper alternative design (there is no set price for either yet) just like anything else there would have to be a minimum amount pre-oder to get the materials

-basic design, no pockets or ribs

-less machining time, this means less tooling wear (the endmills i use are $10ea and with the more complex design I could get 2ish frames cut per endmill)

-it would be less rigid (more flex) other design has no flex at all

-thinner material

22610387559_dffc624cec_c.jpg

• Content Provider

On modifying the driver to support the larger display - that would be good to know if it can be done. We may be stuck with these 64 x 64 square displays as shipping back to China w/tracking and insurance costs so much more than China shipping to US. Might be nice to be able to do something with it. In any case, three of the squares together is the same resolution as a super size Sega display (192 x 64). Would be a nice cheap replacement for those who have one of those real tables.

I think the hardware can handle such a large display. We already tested with more colors and that was also no problem from the timing side. I also was mislead by the description of one seller and a 64x64 panel is on its way to me. :blink:   I planned to reject the package that it is sent back to china, but maybe I keep it to do the testing for the sega panels. On the other hand I don´t have any use for it right now and already ordered my second set from a different seller. 

About the new design. I think the position of the screwholes of a original pinball DMD should be kept for the frame also. For V-Pins this design is o.k. but what about the users who want to use the panels in a real pinball ? I would´t like to make new screwholes in my TAFG. 

• Content Provider

I believe If I were in your situation I would be making something custom to work with your personal project....

I already have a frame for my VPIN which is working just fine, but I was thinking about others

who want to use my project for different purposes.

I guess this is more a question for the virtual pinball guys more then guys using them in there real machines

I'm wondering are people thinking mounting these to the back of the speaker grill? or to a crossmember in the backbox?

Back of speaker grill on my machines. I am interested in a few! one for real pinball. I could make something out of aluminum angle bar but would like a polished product in my Monster Bash pinball

Archived