Pin2Dmd Color - Pindmd Compatible Interface With Led Rgb Color Dmd

lucky1

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Content Provider

Is there ability to set the LED brightness in the software?

Any chance this software will work with 2 LED 160mmx160mm panels where it only uses the top half of each LED panel?  

Brightness should be adjustable.

Maybe the big panels could also be supported, but if its a 1/32 scanning panel, it would required a complete new displayBuffer building function. this is definitly not in scope right now.

br Steve

• Content Provider

Is the brightness function all ready in the software?

When yes, which variable is it?

No I don't think so. Lucky is mainly working on the firmware at the moment, I'm on the editor. But as far as I know, the pwm timings and therefore the brightness is constant.

Just constants in the source code. But this could easily be changed. see here https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/blob/master/src/rgb_out.c#L41

• Content Provider

I would contact the reseller about it before ordering. The description is saying 1/32 scan. The 160x80 panels have 1/16 scan.

Hmm, these are definitely 160x80 panels, but they do show 1/32 scan on the spec. I did not know that they had to also be a particular scan rate. So, I guess I'll see what I get.

I already ordered a 160x160 based on the picture and specs in the listing that indicated that it consisted of two modules. Found out after the fact that it was one module, and the seller quickly changed the spec in the listing. It finally arrived yesterday, and it indeed is a single square.

795resize.JPG

797resize.JPG

• Content Provider

I tried to keep brightness as low as possible, which is still enough for pinball use. If you want to have it brighter just multiply

the 4 numbers with a factor marked by Steve. Lower than 200 for the first number can lead to timing problems.

• Content Provider

Here is a very early preview of the editor tool:

64 Bit Windows Version: http://go-dmd.de/go-dmd-editor_x86_64.jar
32 Bit Windows Version: http://go-dmd.de/go-dmd-editor_x86.jar

you need java8 installed. Can be run by just double clicking or "java -jar ....". The 64 / 32 Bit Version depends on the JVM not OS (which means you can have 32 Bit Java on 64 Windows).

So be sure to use the right one.

Last feature I added was palette import from smartdmd.txt files.

Import to the pin2dmd board is also already work from sdcard (use palettes.dat as filename on the card) for real pinballs or with upload tool for vpins.

Software is still alpha state, so expect some bug or crashes.

br Steve 

ps: mac and linux version are also available of course, ask if you need

I was going to wait to show this, but what the hell

UncleSash and I have been working on this project together, I have designed and manufactured a frame/mount to use the unassembled 160x160 panels (2x 80x160)

I have a small machine shop in my basement and I make parts for the RC aircraft hobby (like multirotor copters "drones") so i'm able to use the same equipment to make these frames

we are still in the prototype stage.... but it wont be long before there is a final design.... 

22933678646_6557e9aca9_z.jpg

• Content Provider

Wow !! That´s what I call the power of the community and is a reason why I do this project open source instead

of buying a ready to use solution which is always missing features I would like to have. Be sure to pack one 

sample in when Sash is coming to germany on christmas (I hope he does)  :D

• Content Provider

Here is a design from another forum member which can be uploaded to www.ponoko.com

He ordered it in 3mm black acrylic and it works perfectly. You get 3 out of it when you order

size P2 for 15,50$. Here is the material link.

http://www.ponoko.com/make-and-sell/show-material/341-acrylic-black-matte-1-side-

Is there a alternative to ponoko in europe Please check the cut out size compared to the layout of the panel pcb.

Regards

Lucky1

470379.jpg

DMD_Frame_P2.zip

Archived