Pin2Dmd Color - Pindmd Compatible Interface With Led Rgb Color Dmd

lucky1

• Content Provider

Having fun with this now. :D Thanks to all involved. I will upload some videos later but here are some init feedback. (I downloaded the latest test vpinmame and pin2dmd firmware.)

Carny, I can confim the RGB panel will work with just one of the panels.  You will get the right half of the screen displayed.  I am using a PC power supply to provide 5V to the RGB panel and PIN2DMD controller, so only one USB cable connected

Here are my test observation so far with vPinmame. 

- Colorize DMD feature works as expected.  Set the 4 different colors and feature works great.

- However, when the 4 color "Colorize DMD" option is unchecked, vPinMame app allows you to pick a primary color for the DMD, i,e red palette or green or blue, etc.  I don't think this palette info is sent to PIN2DMD controller, so you end up with last used palette as randr mentioned in previous post

For example, trying to set color to green or blue does not work.  PIN2DMD uses the previous palette.  I think vPinmame just needs to add palette support for this use case also when sending to PIN2DMD

attachicon.gifgreen.png

attachicon.gifblue.png

I did increase the RGB brightness level by a factor of 4, just personal taste here, by opening rgb_out.c and modifying the rgbperiod line to

int rgbperiod[4] = {800,1200,2560,5120};  

It looks like largest value supported is 0x2FF which is 12287, I tried as high as 10240

Thanks for your feedback. The reason why I don´t want to take this setting from vpinmame is, that there is no chance to avoid that the palette get´s overwritten. When you play Stern Tables with SmartDMD support it is essential that the palette numbers match to the coding in the ROM file and if Palette 0 always get´s crashed by PinMAME you get the wrong colors. You have to upload the palettes before you start the table by using my pindmd.exe.

What you want to have is easy to achieve when you activate the colorize button and set the 4 colors to the 4 shades of green or blue. This is in my opinion a good workaround until pinmame fully supports 16 color palettes. I have a idea how this can be done but I have to talk with Toxie about it. However I´m open to new ideas how this can be achieved.

About the timing - Do you play with sunglasses on ? ;)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Content Provider

Having fun with this now. :D Thanks to all involved. I will upload some videos later but here are some init feedback. (I downloaded the latest test vpinmame and pin2dmd firmware.)

Carny, I can confim the RGB panel will work with just one of the panels.  You will get the right half of the screen displayed.  I am using a PC power supply to provide 5V to the RGB panel and PIN2DMD controller, so only one USB cable connected

Thanks. Good to know that I should be able to run one panel. I'll check for output from the headers with a multimeter. 

If I'm getting an output signal then maybe I'm just not supplying enough power.

Was going to pull out my 5V meanwell bench power supply to test the LED strips anyway. That should be more than enough. I'll try that later this afternoon.

Also, have to make sure that I did not assemble the board backwards! I followed the picture here:

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/2219-pin2dmd-color-pindmd-compatible-interface-with-led-rgb-color-dmd/page-20#entry24622

• Content Provider

whether at the moment the program to edit colors in real pinballs, it's only go-DMD and pinball browser ??

Pinball Browser can only be used to colorize Sterns by patching the rom and uploading the right Palette (or storing it in the SD card).

goDMD editor or pin2dmd editor which will be the Name of the final release can do colorzation for all kind of real pinball machines that are compatible with pin2dmd.

It will be released soon including a tutorial how to do it.

First release will support uploading custom palettes, and switching of palettes based on keyframes.

Next release will also support complete replacement of frames using higher color depth or different image scences at all.

Cheers Steve

• Content Provider

Yee-haw!

018.jpg

021.jpg

Used a PC PSU to power.

Also I originally had the data cable plugged into the HUB08 header instead of the HUB75. Both panels test Ok. Now I'm just waiting for a second data cable from the seller.

I still haven't figured out how to use the config tool to route the output signal to the PinDMD header. I guess that's less of an issue. I wasn't planning on using this for a regular pinball DMD.

Pinball Browser can only be used to colorize Sterns by patching the rom and uploading the right Palette (or storing it in the SD card).

goDMD editor or pin2dmd editor which will be the Name of the final release can do colorzation for all kind of real pinball machines that are compatible with pin2dmd.

It will be released soon including a tutorial how to do it.

First release will support uploading custom palettes, and switching of palettes based on keyframes.

Next release will also support complete replacement of frames using higher color depth or different image scences at all.

Cheers Steve

Thank you for your comprehensive answer.  :)

• Content Provider

I still haven't figured out how to use the config tool to route the output signal to the PinDMD header. I guess that's less of an issue. I wasn't planning on using this for a regular pinball DMD.

You either need a SD Card to store your config on or compile a custom version with devicemode=1 as default.

• Content Provider

You either need a SD Card to store your config on or compile a custom version with devicemode=1 as default.

Understood. I did not have a card installed. I'll test that out later, but I'm very happy to be able to drive the RGB panels. Thanks again for this great solution!

• Content Provider

But the difference is rather small. pixel pitch from original dmd (see http://www.vishay.com/docs/37083/lee128g0.pdf)is always 2,54 mm, the china ones have 2,5

so for 128 pixels, the difference is about 5mm. or when you check the vishay datasheet it says "Viewing Area: 12.75" [323.8 mm] W x 3.15" [80.01 mm] " so even smaller

a nearly the same like the china ones which are 320x80

Cheers Steve

• Content Provider

Cool! Now we can use it for a topper? :) hehe, it's not bad idea to send a picture frame or something else.

Good job.

Yeah , but except for running 2.5 pixel size panels you can run p5 size that are 25 x 7 1/4 wide. I have the topper for the panels CNC out and will display soon

I already designed a PCB layout, with "2x HUB75" outputs instead of "1x HUB and 1x HUB08" output.

When we find a few people, I like to order 10 or 20 pcs (same conditions as for the other Breakout Boards).

Just give me a note...

• Content Provider
  • Content Provider

Archived