• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Is there any way the WIP files for this can be re-posted somewhere, please?  I tried going to the original PS Alpha thread with the Google Drive link for the project, but apparently the original author had been booted from PS some years ago, and the Google Drive account seems accordingly locked - it gives me the "You Need Access" stuff when I try to go there.

If this can be re-posted, it would be most sincerely appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...
  • Content Provider
6 hours ago, kbueno said:

Hi lucky1,

I know that this excellent project is not yet finished.  

but can you tell me if these files (.pal/.fsq) can be used in a realpin, even unfinished? will they work?  

just to add some color to the realpin.

Why don´t you just try it ?

• 2 months later...
On 10/16/2020 at 3:04 AM, lucky1 said:

Why don´t you just try it ?

hello lucky1,

I did the test with the coloring and when I put the files of this coloring I realized that I have to change the RGB sequence to the right side red square and the last white square.  in this case, it works correctly.  

it happens that, when restarting the machine the rgb sequence is undone even if I save after changing the sequence.  and the colorization is inadequate.  

I tried to save countless times but when restarting the machine the problem persists.  

what can be in this case?

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, kbueno said:

hello lucky1,

I did the test with the coloring and when I put the files of this coloring I realized that I have to change the RGB sequence to the right side red square and the last white square.  in this case, it works correctly.  

it happens that, when restarting the machine the rgb sequence is undone even if I save after changing the sequence.  and the colorization is inadequate.  

I tried to save countless times but when restarting the machine the problem persists.  

what can be in this case?

A problem with the SD card ?

On 1/12/2021 at 5:18 PM, lucky1 said:

A problem with the SD card ?

hi lucky1,

it seems to me that it's not a problem with the SD card.  I believe that if it were something related to the SD card, in the "display vid" menu it would appear as a "not activated" display as it would not recognize the display activation key.  but it is recognizing the activation key normally found inside the sd card.  so I think it’s not a problem with the SD card.  

what i realized is that with this colorization i managed to make it work only once.  but it seems to me that the display does not recognize the correct sequence to use this colorization.  

if you watch in my video I turn on my realpin and the pin2dmd display takes a while to turn on compared to the pin2dmd on other machines, like baywatch, and when it turns on, it appears with the correct sequence for coloring the batman soon he gives a brief  reset and returns to another sequence that is not the correct sequence for using Batman's coloring.  

what could it be?  can you use this colorization in your realpin normally?  should it work?  

please let me know if you have any ideas about this.  

Cheers

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1o1uzTW8guWFaajS7dhCABYwqIElM2nuI

14 hours ago, lucky1 said:

First of all, the colorization is working in my real pin like it should. Does the display react normally when no SD is inserted ?

Here are my exportspin2dmd.fsqpin2dmd.pal

Hi lucky1, thanks for your reply!  

i formatted the sd card and installed it again with the files you sent me and it worked!

Thank you so much for this!

Cheers

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 4:01 AM, roboclan3 said:

is anyone working on completing this project i was thinking of giving it a try but not sure how to start

I started working on this project yesterday.  Thank you to all those who have worked on it already.

Having built what I think is a nice cabinet and enjoyed it so much for the last two years, I am interested in stretching my learning and trying to give something back to the community.  I thought this project along with the videos and tutorials would be a great jump start on the learning process.  A lot of scenes were previously colored by more capable people than myself.  Some keyframes were already set and this sure has helped me see how the colorization works.  I usually get completely engrossed in something like this that is new to me.  This project will be no different.  I dove in and have now worked on it about 15 hours.  

Boy it sure is a lot to grasp.  I just realized this morning that the dynamic masks used in keyframe hashes are limited.  I'm afraid I may have to delete some keyframes and start again so I conserve mask placements.  Also, I have to figure out why some scenes look beautifully colored in the editor but not so much on the actual LCD screen in VPX play.  The previous authors red on Robin's shirt in Ball Save shows up as burgundy during game play as an example.  My scene I colored during a hurry up play (the one where Batman descends from the skyline with a villain in a headlock) shows blue water in the editor but the blue water is gray during game play.  I can't figure out why but I'll keep working and learning. 

Quick question.  In a scene such as the bat boat traveling from left to right over 15 frames 1)  are you guys terming this a "dynamic scene" in the forum and 2) Do you color every frame individually and if so do you use the replace method or mask method?  I have colored several like this using each method and I do each frame individually.  I'm just wondering if I am not doing it the most efficient way and why I get bleed over to scenes that may follow.  This ROM has a lot of "movie scenes" and will take a lot of coloring!

Hopefully I will be able to press forward on this and get it published.

If anyone wants to check out the progress or see what I'm screwing up the links below should get you the two pin2dmd files you need for your alt color folder batmanf.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17imhl2Xou-V2HMBGtxRYKvtUvKXTuV-g/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EZOfqXMFL2eOrP4mHYyxRiMa3LO2Ccwi/view?usp=sharing

My project files below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HGPqqehwKPfV-gq68NQ9biKytEeHwBo6/view?usp=sharing 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1chbBug-on7W4e_6IvxOfDyO2rqwBcqWQ/view?usp=sharing

Lane

Edited by bushav

• Content Provider

The global detection masks are limited but you can use ColorMask Layered to have additional detection masks per scene.

https://pin2dmd.com/chapter-8-advanced-coloring-using-colormask-layered-mode/

This is best practise to overcome that limit.

Dynamic scenes are scenes which contain content like score or other stuff which differs from game to game.

Non dynamic scenes are always the same and can normally be triggered as full frame.

User @TNZ has developed a method to colorize frames more efficiently using optical flow, which has been impemented in the build of the editor located in the beta folder. Look here 

I did not have the time to test it, but maybe he can help.

I hope that helps

Worked on this all day again.  It's tough for me.  I admire the wonderful colorizations even more now! 

I'm struggling with scenes looking wonderful in the editor but not looking good in the actual game play.  For instance the end of game "match and coin toss".  When I play the game this scene has the word "MATCH" bleeding over into the coin toss.  The hand is colored tan in the editor but remains gray in the gameplay.  Likewise there is a scene where batman hangs from the skyline with a villain in his clutches as water rises around them.  The water is blue in the editor but gray in the gameplay.  I have tried different methods of coloring and for the coin toss tried splitting the scene.  I even tried inserting a "black" frame to turn off the "MATCH" letters before the coin toss. 

I'll keep trying to learn.  Reminds me of teaching myself to fly remote controlled airplanes as a kid on the farm with no one around to help.  I crashed a lot of times before I finally was able to fly the thing!

Lane

Worked until 4 am but I finally got the end of game coin toss to trigger correctly. 

I had to :

1)  Reduce my flashing "Match" scene to just two frames so it would not bleed over into the coin toss.  I think the scene was being retriggered every time it flashed from blue to black (even though my trigger was on a steady area) so if it was a long duration scene it bled over into the coin toss until the scene finished playing.  Even with just two frames it keeps up with the animation fine so it must be retriggered by the animation.  I wonder if it was colored using two palettes of the same color like black so the computer saw a triggering even if the eye couldn't see it?

2)  I made the coin toss its own scene so the hand colorization would be in sync with the animation.  I'm still getting the skin tone not following the hand as precisely as it does in the editor but it looks pretty good.  If I compare the duration numbers between the actual dump and my scenes they don't exactly match up.  I think this reason is causing my coloring to lead or lag just a bit when in game play.  For example one frame might show a duration of 170 in the raw dump but show a duration of 140 in my cut scene.

I tried the mask sequence technique you suggested but ultimately I had to do the above to get a working end to the game.  Tomorrow I'm going to color a few simple static scenes for a change of pace.  It's actually already looking much better than a four color DMD.  Many of the scenes were colored by the previous guys but not assigned a trigger so it's easy to make noticeable progress if I don't get bogged down.  A great way to learn!  

Lane

Edited by bushav

I guess I am chalking this project up to "I'm not smart enough".  I can color the scenes and trigger them.  However about 75 percent of the video scenes are pretty ugly when viewed during game play.  Even the previous authors video scenes are exhibiting the same errors.  No matter what modes I use for coloring or triggering I still get horrible lag and bleed over during the video scenes.  I can color the bat boat, in the editor it will look great and then in game play the boat will outrun the colored pixels and the colored pixels even keep playing during the next scene which may just be a static score screen that otherwise looks nicely colored except for this shadow of a boat in the background.  

Out of curiosity, I am the third person in this thread to attempt this project with the two others being experienced at this.  Are these SEGA Roms notoriously frustrating?  Should I be learning on another table?

I updated the above links with my project files and vni/pal files.  The project has more colorizations and more keyframes than when I started.  The vni/pal files are usable if someone wants to "sorta" pretty up Batman Forever on their machine.  Caution, many of the video scenes will be the default pallet during gameplay.  Knowing me I will keep plugging on this until it drives me mad!

Lane 

1424259752_3Million.thumb.jpg.adab37bf2e1e49a4bbc59d97398c6bdf.jpg

876702122_toomanyquestions.thumb.jpg.6b7ff9628c1a77c8755c02abb79ebbbf.jpg

1097277010_GothamEvent.thumb.png.3c55e4ca2ccf3851aa3c7011f4e51614.png

Edited by bushav

• Content Provider

Actually a lot of the triggers and detection masks from Malenkos projects like T2, SF3, Baywatch, LW3 were fixed by me. So his unfinished projects are not a good starting point for learning how to trigger correctly. Maybe better ask guys like @slippifishi, @NetzZwerg or others who have made perfecly triggering projects for help. In fact Sega, DataEast and Stern projects are easier to trigger compared to WPC from the technical side. @Newbie77might also be a good option as he has just almost finished triggers for Frankeinstein. I think he has also published his project files.