roboclan3, I just posted a short video of me playing Batman Forever (one handed, one flipper) so you guys over there on Facebook can see the DMD as I am seeing it.  With all the trouble you are having with your display it sure sounds like you have a hardware or software issue on that end.  I wish some of your other real pin friends would give it a try.  I see on the Facebook page that at least one guy is running the project on his DMD.  Although it is the earliest version.  The version I inherited.  So, only a few screens are colored.  Maybe that is you with the video on Facebook.  I see DMD is all goofed up in the video.

• Content Provider
4 hours ago, roboclan3 said:

when i put the firmware on my screen i usually get a nok as it wont upgrade i have been trying the xl update should i try the 196x64 instead

No good with the new SD card? 

You should be using the 196x64 update https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/blob/master/firmware/latest/EVO192x64/pin2dmd_XL.upd

There is also a custom firmware for GGS but I don't know what the difference is. If it's an EVO make sure to use the link above. I'm assuming the Custom XL firmware will always fail if the base firmware is the EVO.

On 7/16/2021 at 11:14 AM, bushav said:

roboclan3, I just posted a short video of me playing Batman Forever (one handed, one flipper) so you guys over there on Facebook can see the DMD as I am seeing it.  With all the trouble you are having with your display it sure sounds like you have a hardware or software issue on that end.  I wish some of your other real pin friends would give it a try.  I see on the Facebook page that at least one guy is running the project on his DMD.  Although it is the earliest version.  The version I inherited.  So, only a few screens are colored.  Maybe that is you with the video on Facebook.  I see DMD is all goofed up in the video.

saw that on Facebook looks great

haven't uploaded latest files yet that is today's job will let you know how it goes

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Terranigma said:

@bushav I have spoken with @Wob and he has kindly produced some videos and dumps for you using the latest release. Please check your inbox. 

Thanks!

Thanks guys. When you get a chance your welcome to post your video of gameplay. It’s good to compare. A few of the glitches are known and I just can’t get the triggers to cooperate. My real job has demanded more of my time recently but I haven’t given up on getting this coloring ironed out. 

Lane

@Wobis getting a “clearing balls” message in the above video.  He gets it numerous times.

I’ve played hundreds of games on Batman Forever and have yet to get this message. I wonder what is causing that message during his gameplay. I’d like to color it but really don’t want a twenty minute dump for one screen capture. 

His video alerted me to the fact that one of my bonus scenes is colored in replacement mode when it actually has a dynamic score. Good tool. 

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, bushav said:

@Wobis getting a “clearing balls” message in the above video.  He gets it numerous times.

I’ve played hundreds of games on Batman Forever and have yet to get this message. I wonder what is causing that message during his gameplay. I’d like to color it but really don’t want a twenty minute dump for one screen capture. 

His video alerted me to the fact that one of my bonus scenes is colored in replacement mode when it actually has a dynamic score. Good tool. 

Hi Mate,

The "clearing balls" is me restarting from a crap start, just hold the start button when ball 2 is ejected, it will shoot the ball and wait for it to drain before restarting. The other guys can advise you how to trim the dumps, they are more or less just text files.

Feel free to reach out if you need anything else.

Cheers,

Wob

Edited by Wob

40 minutes ago, Wob said:

Hi Mate,

The "clearing balls" is me restarting from a crap start, just hold the start button when ball 2 is ejected, it will shoot the ball and wait for it to drain before restarting. The other guys can advise you how to trim the dumps, they are more or less just text files.

Feel free to reach out if you need anything else.

Cheers,

Wob

Thanks for creating video. I’ll capture the clearing balls scene now that I realize what it is. Enjoy the colored DMD. I’ll keep improving it. 

• Content Provider
Just now, bushav said:

Thanks for creating video. I’ll capture the clearing balls scene now that I realize what it is. Enjoy the colored DMD. I’ll keep improving it. 

No problem at all, happy to help. It's looking great, keep up the good work and let me know if you need some more testing done at some point.

I had to install this table to test, it wasn't already on my cab and it's not a table I am familiar with, not familiar with any Sega titles really. I was surprised that the score doesn't clock over, it just gets stuck at 9Bill, do you know if there is a setting for that?

30 minutes ago, Wob said:

No problem at all, happy to help. It's looking great, keep up the good work and let me know if you need some more testing done at some point.

I had to install this table to test, it wasn't already on my cab and it's not a table I am familiar with, not familiar with any Sega titles really. I was surprised that the score doesn't clock over, it just gets stuck at 9Bill, do you know if there is a setting for that?

I don’t know if there is a setting. I’ll inquire on real pin Facebook group.

I had the table on my cab but had only played it a few times. Now I really like it and just purchased Data East’s Lethal Weapon 3 real pin for a restoration project.  

• Content Provider
8 minutes ago, bushav said:

I don’t know if there is a setting. I’ll inquire on real pin Facebook group.

I had the table on my cab but had only played it a few times. Now I really like it and just purchased Data East’s Lethal Weapon 3 real pin for a restoration project.  

Nice, My VP was definitely a gateway for me, I have since added a real Indiana Jones (WMS) next to it that I did a full restore on that, it was a big learning experience. 

after updating to4.16 which updated OK the game had no display as is the problem i've had all along as it would come on then off well i put the old screen back in and guess what no display problem was the ribbon cable all fixed now i have to put in the color dmd back and let you know how i went

keep up the good work dying to see it finnished

9 hours ago, roboclan3 said:

after updating to4.16 which updated OK the game had no display as is the problem i've had all along as it would come on then off well i put the old screen back in and guess what no display problem was the ribbon cable all fixed now i have to put in the color dmd back and let you know how i went

keep up the good work dying to see it finnished

I’m glad you discovered the problem. I kept wondering if my work was not sufficient for a real machine. Hopefully you will find it enjoyable. 

I am eager to improve it. Work has me busy and I purchased my first real pin so I’ve slowed down on this. However I promise to get an update out in the next week. 

Edited by bushav

• Content Provider
17 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

I would bet on a power supply issue causing resets on the SEGA DMD Controller which is very common in these machines.

Would this happen on an original DMD too? From what I gather, the original DMD works ok so I assumed the DMD Controller was also ok.

So far it seems that the Firmware update has failed in the past, after multiple attempts it ended up working. Have verified he is using the correct update file. Also swapped to a new SD card to rule that out. Was thinking it could be an issue with the SD card reader or hardware.

The power supply issue does seem to fit with the problems though, but I would have thought the original DMD would have the same problems. The ribbon cable was also replaced which fixed the original DMD issues. 

Will have to wait for an update.

20 hours ago, Terranigma said:

Would this happen on an original DMD too? From what I gather, the original DMD works ok so I assumed the DMD Controller was also ok.

So far it seems that the Firmware update has failed in the past, after multiple attempts it ended up working. Have verified he is using the correct update file. Also swapped to a new SD card to rule that out. Was thinking it could be an issue with the SD card reader or hardware.

The power supply issue does seem to fit with the problems though, but I would have thought the original DMD would have the same problems. The ribbon cable was also replaced which fixed the original DMD issues. 

Will have to wait for an update.

working good now ive also just bought a new power board havnt put that in yet the display card is new from spain too

• 3 weeks later...

"I'm Back!"

At least trying to make a little progress.  I've been distracted with getting a real pin I purchased going, Lethal Weapon 3.  I had to replace components on three of the circuit boards but it's going now.

I am working on the transitions and started experimenting with the rooftop chase scene.  Hopefully you will find the following improvements working.

-smoothed out the trigger for game mode selection (timed or normal)

-found the missing frame on the multiball scoring scene so now there isn't a momentary revert to default palet.

-created transitions (colored and triggered) for all Gotham Modes.  This is the transition where there is a question mark leading into the mode start

-allowed for the punches during the heads to heads scoring.  I still want more color but it is fighting me so to speak.

-Colored and triggered the mega pops mode opener when that mode is selected at ball launch

I tried some things with Chase and Robin saved scoring during multiball but it is resisting my attempts to color a dynamic score with more than four colors.

You will find real and virtual files on my Google Drive.  Enjoy and start giving me some feedback please.

• 3 weeks later...