[New VP10 Alert] Ripley's Believe It or Not! (Stern 2004) VPW Mod

Ripley's Believe It or Not! (Stern 2004) VPW Mod

Beleive it or not, this VPW mod was started in June 2020!

Based on the JPSalas version, this is one of the very first mods VPW attempted and has probably gone through more versions and more sets of hands than any other of our projects before, every time getting updated with whatever we were doing but never actually making it to release. Finally mcarter78 finally accepted the mission of getting it over the line and out the door, and here we are! (finally!)

VPW Oddities
============
 - mcarter78 - Project lead (well, the latest one anyway)
 - iaakki - Loads of stuff
 - Benji - Loads of early developement stuff
 - Sixtoe - All sorts of things
 - Apophis - Code & Tech support
 - RothbauerW - Varitarget support
 - Bord - Playfield mesh & physical scoop.
 - Hauntfreaks - Playfield image adjustments, cabinet and backglass images.
 - TastyWasps - VR Room and tweaks
 - PT5K - Staged flipper support
 - Ebislit - Early Insert work
 - Kingdids - Stern Bumpercaps
 - Kevv - Stripping and scanning his RBION for plastics
 - Wylte - Getting irl references
 - Passion4Pins - Additional graphics help
 - VPW team through the years - Testing

- JPSalas - Original Version

All options are available from in game menu accessed pressing F12

Same in 64 bits (script crash - noticed after F3 press after ROM parameter set-up). Can be reproduced by hitting F3 key.

Also:

- Plunger is badly calibrated (largely too strong), in comparison with real machine!

- Vari-target is too strong, too, it's nearly impossible to send the ball in the hole located behind the vari-target.

It's a nice table, however, but hope the @VPinWorkshop team will fix it.

Edited by DomiKamu

1 hour ago, blackline91 said:

Dont have Mechanical Sounds , any Ideas? Big Thx 

Try and download all the parent roms for any games that don't have sound that worked for me and I'm a noobie but thats all I learned for now :)

• Content Provider
On 2/12/2024 at 4:30 PM, DomiKamu said:

Same in 64 bits (script crash - noticed after F3 press after ROM parameter set-up). Can be reproduced by hitting F3 key.

Also:

- Plunger is badly calibrated (largely too strong), in comparison with real machine!

- Vari-target is too strong, too, it's nearly impossible to send the ball in the hole located behind the vari-target.

It's a nice table, however, but hope the @VPinWorkshop team will fix it.

- No crash here, though it does confuse the ROM for a ball to hard reset during play.

- Plunger was carefully calibrated to just make the top lanes on a full plunge, so you have to be careful to get the SS target.

- Vari-target is intentionally on the mean side, but very possible.

On 2/19/2024 at 9:26 PM, blackline91 said:

Dont have Mechanical Sounds , any Ideas? Big Thx 

Same problem for me : no mechanical sound  (I use SSF.)

But I still have sounds with the previous "ripley" table... So I think everything is ok with the rom. 

On 2/19/2024 at 7:06 PM, Wylte said:

- No crash here, though it does confuse the ROM for a ball to hard reset during play.

- Plunger was carefully calibrated to just make the top lanes on a full plunge, so you have to be careful to get the SS target.

- Vari-target is intentionally on the mean side, but very possible.

I own a ripleys and I can tell you it's nearly impossible to calibrate the machine to consistently go up to the top lanes. The rail adjustment is blocked by the post so you can't really get it to the right angle. I spent hours trying to adjust the rail and couldn't get it to do it reliably. Even when I do rarely get one to go to the top lanes it's really slow and barely gets there. I get more roll backs than anything else. Everyone goes for the skill shots though as they are incredibly valuable on this machine so I stopped futzing with it. 

Other than the plunge the game plays very similarly to mine. My slings are a bit weaker but the speed of the game is dead on. The kick out from the main scoop could be a bit too hard as it should settle on the right flipper after bouncing from the left. It's quite close though. Maybe it played like the vpx version when it was new but not these days :) I didn't find the vari-target hard to hit at all. Really nice work on this version

COPIED FROM COMMENT SECTION:

table loads up fine, can put coins and starts and plays, but no DMD, only mechanical sounds. It SOUNDS like there might be VERY quiet audio that might be from the rom, but still no DMD? Only this table seems to have this issue. 

tested my rom on pinmame 3.6 and it works great but i can't get the dmd to show.  i've tried changing the f1 settings but it doesn't seem to even show anywhere on my screen.  usually alt-tab shows it hidden somewhere else on the screen but it's no where to be found.  i downloaded a new rom and still have the same issue and that new rom plays/shows fine in pinmame as well.  

hello,

I found a file in Vpinmane "altsound/ripleys" that contains .ogg files, it's the music 😄

But no sounds 😪 and the name of rom in script is "ripleys", and rom name is "Ripleys" ?

mechanicals sounds are ok... don't understand...

Volume at 31 with key 9 before and key 8 after...

Edited by LEXUS_RCF

• Content Provider
Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, LEXUS_RCF said:

hello,

I found a file in Vpinmane "altsound/ripleys" that contains .ogg files, it's the music 😄

But no sounds 😪 and the name of rom in script is "ripleys", and rom name is "Ripleys" ?

mechanicals sounds are ok... don't understand...

Volume at 31 with key 9 before and key 8 after...

Try pressing F1 while table is running, and set Alt Sound Mode to 0 in rom setting.

Press OK.

Restart table.

Capture.PNG.a52c74bb8b9fa689464a0692de94ca73.PNG

Now can you hear the rom sounds?

EDIT:

Or set Alt Sound Mode to 1 if you are wanting to use the Altsound.

Edited by xenonph

many thanks for your fast answer. it's ok now...

it's hard to know between windows volume, rom volume, VPX and my ALP volume ...  if one is off, you can't ear sounds or musics...

I take care next time

Hello,

a lot of tables have to be tinkered with VPX 10.8 direct X for sound. With VPX gl, there are fewer problems. On the other hand, no F1 key, it crashes straight away.

Perhaps the solution ?

On 3/7/2024 at 7:01 PM, xenonph said:

Try pressing F1 while table is running, and set Alt Sound Mode to 0 in rom setting.

Press OK.

Restart table.

Now can you hear the rom sounds?

EDIT:

Or set Alt Sound Mode to 1 if you are wanting to use the Altsound.

I do not. No mechanical sounds. I tried with and without alt sound. I don't know why someone above said all is good now without saying what they did.

• 2 weeks later...