[New VP10 Alert] The Last Action Hero (Data East 1993)

The Last Action Hero (Data East 1993)

In this world, the bad guys can win!

Tomate brought this table to life with great playfield and plastics images, and of course top notch 3d modeling and rendering. Sixtoe completely rebuilt the bones of the table. Flux and Apophis worked some code magic to bring it to life. Leo delivered the VR backglass. This is surely our most graphically demanding table thus far!

Make sure to check out the in-game options menu by pressing both magnasave buttons at the same time. Enjoy the show!

VPW FILM CREW

Tomate - 3D modeling and rendering, playfield stich. Cinematographer/Director.

Apophis - Toolkit script-side integration. Physics, animations. Crane operator.

Sixtoe - Table-side full scratch build and scripting. VR room. Set construction.

Flux - Toolkit integration and support. Script editing.

Leojreimroc - VR backglass. Gaffer.

Testers and Stunt-Doubles: Bietekwiet, PinStratsDan, Wylte, Bord, Colvert, Primetime5k

Based on previous work by: javier1515 (Original Author), ninuzzu (logic assignments), knorr (crane animation), dark (crane model)

**we're currently unable to upload this to VPU for some reason, hence the mega link**

i  downloaded  the  lah_113.zip rom and put it in  my roms folder and i'm running 10.7.4 64 bit. but when i start it i get "Machine 'lah_113' (Last Action Hero (1.13  unofficial  MOD)) terminated before initialized, check the rom path or file"

i've tried re-downloading it a couple times in case it was a bad download, but still same results. any guidance would be much  appreciated,

• Content Provider
18 minutes ago, rootchord said:

i  downloaded  the  lah_113.zip rom and put it in  my roms folder and i'm running 10.7.4 64 bit. but when i start it i get "Machine 'lah_113' (Last Action Hero (1.13  unofficial  MOD)) terminated before initialized, check the rom path or file"

i've tried re-downloading it a couple times in case it was a bad download, but still same results. any guidance would be much  appreciated,

Did you get it from here on VPU?  In testing one user had the same issue, but it went away by downloading this one:

For anyone that is having difficulty getting this monster to load, and is a 32 bit holdout such as myself, here is something you can try. I opened a table in editor(Iron Man but doesn't really matter) because LAH wasn't cooperating with my setup. I exited to editor(in Iron Man) and selected 3072 and Alternative depth buffer processing in the "Video/Graphics Options" under preferences. See pic(this is a picture I took off the internet not my cab). I x'd out of editor and went to LAH.vpx file and opened it again. Because my video change is now a global change that impacts all tables. It took a minute but LAH loaded.  I made my adjustments and saved and exported pov etc..... Played a couple games and then went back to exit and launch to try it on nailbusters front end. It's important to get it working in VPX first. Popper is just a fancy shmancy pretty front end.

It loaded and I played 3 quick games as normal. I got some stutter as I expected in multiball. No big deal. It is worth every second I spent trying to figure out how to make it work for me. I left the video/graphics options  as described above because I plan on playing it tomorrow.  When I'm done, I'll exit back in to the windows file system, open editor back up and change my settings back to unlimited and uncheck Alt Depth Buffer thingy. 30 seconds to make changes yields a lifetime of non stop fun! Ok, dramatic, but you get my point. Play Ball! 

1nPTck1 (Medium).png

20230520_183615 (Medium).jpg

Hi @VPinWorkshop @mikepmcs  When I'm playing the table  and press my flippers buttons (left and right buttons) on mu controller  the options menu pops up and my flippers immediately cease to function.  Is there something  in the script I can adjust to turn off to prevent this from happening?   Thanks so much for your help!

Sincerly,

Magic Polo

16 minutes ago, magicpolo said:

Hi @VPinWorkshop @mikepmcs  When I'm playing the table  and press my flippers buttons (left and right buttons) on mu controller  the options menu pops up and my flippers immediately cease to function.  Is there something  in the script I can adjust to turn off to prevent this from happening?   Thanks so much for your help!

Sincerly,

Magic Polo

Magic. Couple things. I'm not even a piece of dust on VPW's work bench and this is their thread. However since I kind of know about your setup I'll take a stab and say you've mapped your magna save to your flipper controls. The in game option menu is supposed to work when both " magnasave" buttons are pushed. You may or may not have a separate set of buttons that control this and I believe in your settings that magnasave is linked/mapped to your flippers. Now I'll turn it over to the actual experts at VPW and they can possibly direct you on how to turn the in game menu option off in the script. 

r/

Mike

11 hours ago, Wylte said:

Did you get it from here on VPU?  In testing one user had the same issue, but it went away by downloading this one:

yeah,  that's the one. i  would have tried another one, but i couldn't find another 113, only 112

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, rootchord said:

yeah,  that's the one. i  would have tried another one, but i couldn't find another 113, only 112

Answer in the comments - you need 112 also present in the roms folder, as it has the base files.

Hi Team.  Overall - the table is beautiful and reminds me of the table I used to own.  Brings back some memories.  

That being said.. I have 2 nitpicky type comments to make on this table that could use some tweaking... (if this is the place for these kinds of suggestions)

Both have to do with the center chute.

1) The lights (Left and right light on the center chute) are correct when needing to light up and flash, but the color coating on the lights are backwards and need to be flipped.

(Change the Yellow light cover for the green, and the green for the yellow)

for example, when you start the 'find benedict' mode, there is a light over each chute that should light.  They should all be green.

The correct light lights up, but the light cover should be green, not yellow.

another example, when the other light is flashing, meaning you can activate a dynamite feature - it should be yellow.  Not green.

2) Sometimes when the ball is shot into the center chute, it is going in at such an angle on this table, that on the underside where the switches are - the Chicken scoop switch is getting activated instead of the Dynamite Feature being triggered off like it should.   On the table I owned, over the years that I played it, I never once had the Chicken scoop activate when the ball went in the Dynamite Feature scoop.

I had a stream going for about 45-60minutes today, and while I played it, this happened many times. 

Other than those items (I guess #2 affects gameplay and is a little more important) the table is working like a dream!   I suddenly don't mind that I sold my table off, now that VPW has released such a great version of it.

Thanks!

13 hours ago, dgrams2000 said:

Hi Team.  Overall - the table is beautiful and reminds me of the table I used to own.  Brings back some memories.  

That being said.. I have 2 nitpicky type comments to make on this table that could use some tweaking... (if this is the place for these kinds of suggestions)

Both have to do with the center chute.

1) The lights (Left and right light on the center chute) are correct when needing to light up and flash, but the color coating on the lights are backwards and need to be flipped.

(Change the Yellow light cover for the green, and the green for the yellow)

for example, when you start the 'find benedict' mode, there is a light over each chute that should light.  They should all be green.

The correct light lights up, but the light cover should be green, not yellow.

another example, when the other light is flashing, meaning you can activate a dynamite feature - it should be yellow.  Not green.

2) Sometimes when the ball is shot into the center chute, it is going in at such an angle on this table, that on the underside where the switches are - the Chicken scoop switch is getting activated instead of the Dynamite Feature being triggered off like it should.   On the table I owned, over the years that I played it, I never once had the Chicken scoop activate when the ball went in the Dynamite Feature scoop.

I had a stream going for about 45-60minutes today, and while I played it, this happened many times. 

Other than those items (I guess #2 affects gameplay and is a little more important) the table is working like a dream!   I suddenly don't mind that I sold my table off, now that VPW has released such a great version of it.

Thanks!

That's useful feedback. We indeed forgot to include a one-way gate in the subway below the central scoops. That gate exists on the real table to prevent the issue you are experiencing on our re-creation. We will add that into our next update. Thanks!

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, test123 said:

I got some FATAL ERROR out of Memory ?  ? Using VPX10.7.3. Plz help.Ashampoo_Snap_2023_05.22_23h53m29s_001_VisualPinballError.jpg.d1fbb5a3cd529e1b51936ef9b8e9dd32.jpg

You'll need to limit texture sizes in VPX video preferences or upgrade everything to 64 bit.

1 hour ago, Wylte said:

You'll need to limit texture sizes in VPX video preferences or upgrade everything to 64 bit.

Thanks a lot, now with 3072 Texture Size it works fine. Do you use 32 or 64 Bit of VPX ? 

• Content Provider
3 hours ago, test123 said:

Thanks a lot, now with 3072 Texture Size it works fine. Do you use 32 or 64 Bit of VPX ? 

I was spreading the good word before the public push, and used 64bit VPX for editing long before that :D

On 5/23/2023 at 7:53 AM, test123 said:

I got some FATAL ERROR out of Memory ?  ? Using VPX10.7.3. Plz help.Ashampoo_Snap_2023_05.22_23h53m29s_001_VisualPinballError.jpg.d1fbb5a3cd529e1b51936ef9b8e9dd32.jpg

I just upgraded to 64bit and still get this error (edit: didn't upgrade correctly first time.. now all good)

Why's it even referencing anything on D drive when everything is installed on C drive?

Edited by Krondorf

8 minutes ago, Krondorf said:

I just upgraded to 64bit and still get this error

Why's it even referencing anything on D drive when everything is installed on C drive?

those are embedded references to the table builders drives is all.

11 hours ago, makmak said:

with VPX 10.8.2 i get several compile errors. But works fine with 10.8  .

No access to rom by pressing "F1" 

Im still 32bit, maybe thats the reason

Nevertheless, this machine is a great show!

No F1 menu means you should check the paths in setup and setup64 in your vpinmame folder. You should be running the latest vpinmame 3.6 too as I don't think 3.5 and earlier even recognize lah_113, but not positive about that.  Easy to check though. Just run setup.exe, click test, find the Last Action Hero 1.13 unofficial mod. Click check roms and see if all good. Click start rom to see if it runs and the dmd should show up. Clicking game options is the F1 menu.

The table seems to run fine. But when I attempt to "F6" to adjust the table viewing angle, I immediately get "Unknown Error" followed by "Fatal Error: shader compilation failed! Unknown (0xffffffff:: n/a) at D:\a\vpinball\vpinball\RenderDevice.cpp:975"

Any advice on how to fix?

I'm running 32-bit v10.7.3.

If I attempt to run with v10.8, I get the error "Fatal error D3DERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMORY (0x8876017c Out of video memory) at D:\a\vpinball\vpinball\indexBuffer.cpp:152. I think I saw reference to this error in another thread.

Thank you for any help or advice.

Joe

20 hours ago, JoeE said:

The table seems to run fine. But when I attempt to "F6" to adjust the table viewing angle, I immediately get "Unknown Error" followed by "Fatal Error: shader compilation failed! Unknown (0xffffffff:: n/a) at D:\a\vpinball\vpinball\RenderDevice.cpp:975"

If I attempt to run with v10.8, I get the error "Fatal error D3DERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMORY (0x8876017c Out of video memory) at D:\a\vpinball\vpinball\indexBuffer.cpp:152. I think I saw reference to this error in another thread.

Joe

Same issue for me

• Content Provider
On 5/28/2023 at 10:51 AM, JoeE said:

Joe

What graphics card do you have?

You can (probably) get around this by limiting the max texture size for the situations that it is running out of memory.  You can change it back to unlimited for playing in 10.7.3 x86 if it works for you.

On 5/29/2023 at 11:37 AM, Wylte said:

What graphics card do you have?

You can (probably) get around this by limiting the max texture size for the situations that it is running out of memory.  You can change it back to unlimited for playing in 10.7.3 x86 if it works for you.

I'm running a GeForce RTX 3070.

Dropping Max Texture Dim to 2048 did indeed allow me to F6 and get the table adjusted. Then, after saving the table, I bumped the Max Texture Dim back up to 3072 and it seems to run fine. (Crashes if I try to run "unlimited"... no surprise there.)

Thank you for the help!