WIP: Visual Pinball in Unity (2021 Edition)

I got it working! Seems I did just need to wait longer. I also had to add the PinMAME package manually to get the Visual Pinball menu bar to appear though, and now I'm receiving the following error (Three times for some reason) each time I start Unity: "Asset Packages/org.visualpinball.engine.unity/VisualPinball.Unity/Plugins/ios-arm64 has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored." Doesn't seem to be causing any issues though.

I was able to load up a new VPX table, though the example table didn't load the ramp (I thought I saw that ramps should be supported already?), and I couldn't get the ball to be served on either the blank or example tables no matter how many times I inserted coins or pressed start. Flippers and plunger seemed to be working though.

The editing features already seem very robust though, I might see if I can remake one of my old Future Pinball projects in this some time.

Hi all, another status update. First of all, let me welcome a new contributor @cupid. He's the one who introduced primitives to VP when it was still somewhat frame-based. For VPE, he added metal wire guides, a new game item that allows creating them easily instead having to model them in Blender or cheat with rotated rubbers. Now he's working on integrating @rothbauerw's droptarget code into the physics engine. So happy he joined the team! :)

Then, @jsm174 was experimenting with iOS and Android and got a build of Rock fully working on an iPad. Check this out:

Note however that this is using Unity's Universal Render Pipeline, which is different from what we use for desktop. We still need to find a way to convert between both, or at least find the least painful way to support low-powered devices for creators who wish to do so.

Personally, I spent most of the past weeks in Blender and Substance Painter. The workflow with Volley was to remodel most meshes (or get them from @BorgDog :)) then UV-map and texture them and import them as FBX into Unity. Texturing has been specially fun, as you can see in this video:

Next up is to get the Volley game logic fully implemented with Visual Scripting, which should give us a good idea of how complex we could go and whether other approaches are needed. I've also had a few ideas about an intuitive but powerful light sequencer, so I might spend some time on that (and of course, our T2 build).

Cheers!

This project is really exciting, but I worry that making our hobby available on multiple platforms (iOS, Android, etc.) and/or simplifying the installation/configuration might bring unwanted attention. I doubt copyright holders will allow it. I think VP is still alive today because it remains a niche world. I am both looking forward to playing that amazing Volley EM in VR, while at the same time fearing for the future of our amazing hobby. What is your take on this guys?

To be honest, I don't think there will ever be an Android or iOS app in the app stores. The GPL alone is difficult to maintain at Apple, and then there's the problem how to load tables, and the overall shitty ecosystem around mobile devices. So take it more as a fun experiment. Tech-savvy people might be able to compile it on their devices, but we're far from commercializing it on a large scale.

Even if it was possible to run VPE on mobile devices, it would have to be a very graphically and functionally reduced version. I think that a full-fledged version for mobile devices can be thought of in a few years, when sufficiently powerful devices and maybe a better mobile system appear.

@Roosta
I agree with @freezy. My goal of getting VPE / libpinmame to run on iOS and Android was not cause trouble or bring unwanted attention. VPX has forever been a Windows only application. No applications are like that today.

If I can help in anyway to make sure it runs on any device, then I'm going to continue to do so. 

@hitman12

1 hour ago, hitman12 said:

Even if it was possible

It IS possible -- today. As @freezy said above, it uses Unity's Universal Render Pipeline which has its own set of challenges.  Graphics and lighting are beyond me, but I'm sure the lighting issues can all be figured out.

Edited by jsm174

What would be handy is the ability to run on a PC that's not explicitly a Windows machine - like a Linux machine. I know there's the occasional "I'd like to run this on Linux, can that work and how do I do it" request. Although at least, given my experiences trying to MAME on Linux, that doesn't necessarily mean that the Lazy Commercial Pincab Seller will be able to shave the Windows license cost off their BOM, it would entail a LOT more work to get to a good point, especially on the front end side.

Hey, this VPE in Unity looks really promising. As you often state it is still a POC. What parts still have to be proofen? Once there is nothing left to proof, what would you see with higher priority? Bringing it out to more people or making it more feature complete? For agility, bringing it to the users could make sense, but on the other hand that might not be neccessary as you devs are the users at the same time :D

I tried running anything on unity, but I seem to be too stupid :P I was able to import a vpx pinball, and eventually even saw a flipper flipping on a key-press. But thats all I got working. I was wondering if there is an easy way to fly around the scene with high quality rendering enabled?

Regarding the scripting: I really wonder if having everything in a graphical interface will have any benefit over a text-file template that you edit to your requirements. 

Is the importing of vpx tables already performing any kind of script conversion? Or can Unity run the scripts?

• Content Provider

Wow i'm discovering the last updates and it looks amazing !

A big thank's to the development team !

It was probably already discuss, but I can't find some information : what will happen with pincab and DOF ?

Will you be able to link VPE with the DOF config ?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, freezy said:

I think it's Javier's port of ROM's FP table, imported into VPE. Are you ROM?

I already had a debate with Javier's, he used my version, not the "rom" one.

I'm "wild" and what you see is my version....I worked for months, to add new templates, animations, new music, and other things

http://www.pinsimdb.org/pinball/table-14596-goldrake

instead this is the original version of "rom", don't you notice the differences?

http://www.pinsimdb.org/pinball/table-2806-goldorak