WIP: Visual Pinball in Unity (2021 Edition)

• Administrators
13 hours ago, slippifishi said:

What is there to think about? Just steal it Freezy, say it aligns with YOUR software development ethics and you are morally obliged to do so and you are home free!

Dude... you need to chill.  We understand that your feelings are butthurt and you don't agree with the decisions to no longer support closed formats.  Get over it... move along if you need to.

• Content Provider
8 hours ago, Loafmeister said:

I've read conflicting commentary on how this affects an app available for free.  Some say you have to have sales AND downloads for you to be impacted, while other say "Sales+downloads" but then there's a different table showing downloads only.  They mention DEMOS won't be hit but VPE is not going to be a demo!

I guess this is what happens when Unity purchases a company like Weta digital... they gotta pay for that somehow.

I mean... VPE "could" be considered a "demo" if it doesn't come with any tables... right.... right? ;)

As a Linux user I tried the unity install and it failed.  Way too many hoops to jump through.  I've been running Linux since back when you pulled floppy images to do a network install and compiled the Kernel so I am experienced. 

Unless you need Unity for VR then most people just need a 3d engine.  So I would much prefer one that I could install with a native package manager (APT)  or as a .deb file.

Searching the web I had many hits and https://o3de.org looks interesting.

I can relate to whats been discussed about Unity and it seems to be making a lot of noise in their community..

Edited by EarBiteR

The Unity pricing changes suck for many commercial game studios, sure, but I don't see how it affects VPE. It will never hit the $200k revenue threshold because it's not monetized. From the official FAQ: "Please note: It is important to remember that games that do not reach the revenue threshold, including games that are not monetized in any way, are not required to pay the per-install fee."

Edited by arkehr

10 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

The latest I am reading is if you don't charge and are distributing free software these fees don't apply.  It's not clear how they know that an install is for a free software application.

That's better news, although what DeKay mentioned above about a possible future risk is certainly a worry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello everyone,

I hope I am not in the wrong threads or the wrong forum about that but I have issues getting everything to work on Unity and was hoping to get some help. Or at least their setup (versions and so) to get it to run. 

I have followed the online documentation but some errors persist.

Long story short: Using Unity 2022.3.10f with HDRP 14.0.8, I have installed the VPE packages:
Visual Pinball Engine preview.129 

Visual Pinball Engine (Common Assets) preview.58 

Visual Pinball Engine (HDRP) preview.181 

Visual Pinball Engine (PinMAME) preview.39 

I had from the beginning dependencies errors popping up so I installed manually the package NativeTrees 0.1.2 from Git. This removed the compilation errors. 

I exported a simple Table from Visual Pinball and imported it into my project. The table is displayed properly but when I pressed play, I have the 2 following errors: 

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Unity.Collections.UnsafeQueueBlockPool.OnDomainUnload (System.Object sender, System.EventArgs e) (at ./Library/PackageCache/[email protected]/Unity.Collections/UnsafeQueue.cs:139)
System.AppDomain.DoDomainUnload () (at <b89873cb176e44a995a4781c7487d410>:0)

and

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
VisualPinball.Unity.BallManager.CreateBall (VisualPinball.Engine.Game.IBallCreationPosition ballCreator, System.Single radius, System.Single mass, UnityEngine.GameObject ballPrefab) (at ./Library/PackageCache/[email protected]/VisualPinball.Unity/VisualPinball.Unity/VPT/Ball/BallManager.cs:56)

-> upon inspection with a breakpoint, MainComponent.Ball is null

I can move the flippers using Shift and the plunger with Enter but no ball is present in the game. If I press the debug key create ball, this gives me the same error. 

Has anyone had this issue,? Is there some extra setup to do? Is it a version thing? Thanks in advance

Hi!

The DomainUnload error you can ignore, the other one is still a bug.

I'm currently still working on physics, and a lot of things will change in the next few weeks, so I'd recommend waiting a little bit more. I'll be updating the documentation and create a new thread here about the recent activity and where we will go in the future.

• 1 month later...